Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 10:26:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 219
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: WATER... for those in the UK  (Read 10607 times)

Offline newbie76

WATER... for those in the UK
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:09:56 pm »
Hello!
I know that when taking meds it is very important to drink A LOT of water.
My doc though yesterday said "forget about tap water, it has to be bottled!".
I live in London and I thought that because it rains so much the tap water here was actually very good.
Does anyone who live in London or in the UK has more info on this?
25th Apr 07: The worst day of my life
27th Apr 07: cd4 202 14%
30th Apr 07: cd4 126 18% VL 110000
19th May 07: Started Truvada/Sustiva
20th Jun 07: cd4 218 25% VL 435
13th Aug 07: cd4 374 20% VL 64
20th Dec 07: cd4 435 24% VL <50
20th Oct 08: cd4 725 31% VL <50
30th Nov 09: cd4 725 30% VL <50
01st Nov 10: cd4 755 33% VL<50
11th Nov 11: cd4 754 32% VL<50
01st May 12: cd4 864 40% VL<50
01st May 13: cd4 615 VL 609 :-/
14th May 13: VL <50

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
Re: WATER... for those in the UK
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 05:27:34 pm »
Hiya newbie!

Well, that's a good question. I live in Spain, and, as you may know, this is a dry country, particularilly in the center and the south. In the north, which is as green and rainy as England is, I know in many towns doctor's are telling HIV people to better drink mineral bottled water, even being tap water under health and sanitary parameters. And that's because tap water comes very high in minerals and that could produce, in a long term, kidney problems.

I live in the center, nearby Madrid. In Madrid you can drink tap water without problems and doctors do not issue any recommendation to HIV+ people  as per regards of it. Nevertheless, in general, people tends more and more to drink bottled water.

In the mediterranean, water quality varies a lot from summer to winter and doctors are starting to recommend to inmunosupressed people, aged people and for preparing babies food, better to use bottled mineral water. The problem is the same: high mineralisation which seems not to be good for the body.

In some towns and villages with intensive agriculture and farming, from time to time they find traces of products derivated from those activities in water, filtering from the surface of the land to the sources some hundred of meters under the ground. This could lead even to microorganism contamination. Water controls are regular, but in order to avoid heatlh problems, people is recommended to use bottled water for cooking and drinking.

I have heard something about London water quality many years ago, due to filtrations in phreatic layers. I am not an expert and didn't understand it very well, but the idea was that the drinkable tap water sources could get contaminated from time to time with metals and sediments. London is a very big city, you have a big river, a lot of industrial activity, and many water sources could easily be contaminated, and, even if tap water is in standards for health, maybe is better for us to drink something purer.

Regards!

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 05:41:05 pm »
What your doctor told you probably has more to do with your low cd4's and exposure to cryptosporidiosis than the actual quality of water in London.  If your numbers were higher you may want to ask him if it would be necessary. 

read this:

http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1044100.asp
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 07:42:08 am »
I lived in London for 6 1/2 yrs.  The reason as a plumber once told me is that London water has been in at least 7 other households before you even turn on your tap.  While I never confirmed this , you can ask any local plumber.  I lived in Kings Cross,  Hackney and good ole E15- no Shakespeare house there!
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline gemini20

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 05:42:45 pm »
Hi Newbie,

Well I live in London (Chelsea) and drink loads of tap water, I don't even bother filtering it, just put it in the fridge so that it's always ice cold. I might occasionally buy bottled water when I'm eating out or travelling but never as a general rule.

I'm not on meds but I still drink about a litre of tap water a day, maybe more on days I work out at the gym. My t-cells are below 200 but I've not had any health problems at all.

I have no plans to change what works for me.

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Gary

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:35:39 pm »
when my cd4 was below 200 (before I knew I was poz) I would have the shits like you wouldn't believe after drinking tapwater, particularly postmix soda from fast food places etc, I could never figure out why, mind you the iller I got the less of a worry the shits were. When I was hospitilised and diagnosed the water they gave me was specially filtered and I was told to aviod tap water unless boiled till I got over 200 cd4 cos of cryptosprodium.  The water here in Manchester is delicious and I can drink it now I'm over 200 even though there are tiny amounts of these bugs in it.

Offline JamieD

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 08:54:01 pm »
Growing up in the UK, London and Surrey, the doctor used to tell my grandmother to avoid tap water, except if it had been boiled. My grandmother grew up in South America so it wasn't at all unusual to her to avoid the tap.

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 03:54:10 pm »
Google this product: PUR water filter.
We have one and use only filtered water for drinking.  It is supposed to filter out crypto.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline carousel

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 04:16:04 pm »
I drink tap water all the time, live in London and unless there is some scare, don't intend to change that.  Good ol' Peckham Spring.

What I never understand is that bottled water can be left around for months, rarely refrigerated.

At the end of the day, you're pissing it out in minutes.

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2007, 01:50:39 pm »
The safety standards for tap water in the UK are amongst the highest in the developed world and generally far safer – and subject to FAR stricter controls - than any bottled water on the market is. 

In fact, do you remember the Dasani as pure as bottled water gets  fiasco in 2004?

As if it wasn’t enough of a marketing nightmare that some advertising executive in New York had decided to promote it in the UK as "bottled spunk", it turned out that Coca Cola were simply bottling supposedly filtered and calcium enriched mains water at their factory in London - and actually managing to send it out of the factory door more polluted than it was when it started the filtration process .. with the added bonus of being loaded with carcinogenic bromate.

This isn’t an isolated case. Remember the benzene charged Perrier? .. or check out the plethora of studies that actually point to the detrimental health aspects of bottled water; specifically the leaching of potentially toxic chemicals from the plastic into the water.

In both the UK and US, anything marketed as table water and sold in a bottle can legally come from – and regularly does come directly from - the public mains water supply.

Whether or not you actually like the taste of tap water is, of course, a completely different story (although even there it is interesting to note that in blind tastings, carried out by Which magazine, most people preferred the taste of tap water and thought it must be the mineral water).

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2007, 01:53:00 pm »
Hmmm... I thought I'd read that there's cocaine in London's drinking water because of Kate Moss.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 01:57:58 pm »
Hmmm... I thought I'd read that there's cocaine in London's drinking water because of Kate Moss.

Not in the drinking water; but the Thames is high on the stuff  :P

".. water from the Thames already treated by sewage works still held an estimated concentration of 20,000 doses, or 80,000 lines, of cocaine"  (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2005/11/06/ncoke106.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/11/06/ixhome.html)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:09:09 pm by vokz »

Offline Poz Brit

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 12:42:54 pm »
UK tap water is excellent, drink it all the time,  put it in a bottle or jug, leave it in the fridge with the top off for 20 minutes to dissipate the fluoride. Had the tap water tested and compared to bottled and it came out better.

John

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.