Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:54:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 328
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Breaking news: discovery of a protein effective against HIV replication  (Read 14193 times)

Offline eric48

• Standard
Just got this on RSS feed:

AIDS: discovery of a protein effective against HIV replication

(AFP) - Sept 1

STRASBOURG - Two medical teams from the Universities of Strasbourg and Marseille 2 discovered the powerful properties of a protein that prevents HIV replication, announced Thursday the Faculty of Strasbourg.

Professor Olivier Rohr and Dr. Christian Schwartz in Strasbourg, together with teachers and Eric Didier Raoult Chabrière in Marseille, have highlighted the inhibitory properties of the human protein HBPB (Human Phosphate Binding Protein) on HIV replication.

"The in vitro results show that this protein acts in a way not yet targeted by current therapies," say the scientists in a joint statement.

This protein was already known but its properties in the fight against HIV have only recently been discovered.

Moreover, this protein is also effective against strains of HIV than conventional strains resistant to antiretroviral AZT.

"This work paves the way for promising new strategies for developing therapies against HIV," said the medical team "plans to continue? Study of the mechanism? Inhibition of this protein and will soon begin testing in vivo" .

However, the widespread use of this protein may not be for several years, the time to complete all tests, first on animals and on volunteer patients.

"Now it's a question of resources," said Professor Eric Chabrière. "Right now all lights are green, the first toxicity tests have shown no side effects, but animal testing is very expensive, and humans even more."

wait and see...

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline eric48

• Standard
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Breaking news: discovery of a protein effective against HIV replication
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »
"This work paves the way for promising new strategies for developing therapies against HIV,".....
"the widespread use of this protein may not be for several years."....
"Now it's a question of resources," said Professor Eric Chabrière.

Boilerplate announcements - love em or leave em?

Nothing against this one per se.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 03:33:56 am »
hoopla
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:36:55 am by sensual1973 »
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline georgep77

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:07:42 am »
To be ready in 2060...

:P

Come on Sangamo,  Geovax,  Bionor immuno, ...Make us happy !!!
+ 2008

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 12:51:17 pm »
i just love how every few days someone throws in a topic and the thread goes on forever :-)
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 02:03:46 pm »
i just love how every few days someone throws in a topic and the thread goes on forever :-)
Hey! :o this one is pretty short so far. :D
I mean this is only the 5th reply. LOL

at least we know it's not going to go on as long as the 49 yrs it's going to take to perfect this newest "cure du jour" lolz it'll be a zombie thread long before we reach that date.  :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 03:19:09 pm »
"It's a question of resources."
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 03:27:24 pm »
To be ready in 2060...

:P

Magnifique.  Most, if not all, of us will be fabulous corpses by the time that this materializes.  
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
But there will have already been that patented milk shake cure by 2030. (Medicinal tasting and only 2 flavors -Mokka Banana or Berry.)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:25:18 am »
A bunch of hubaloo. 

The research forum is quite exhausting.  All these "discoveries."  Its hard not to get bitter.  Yes I know, progress.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:12 am »
The research forum is quite exhausting.  All these "discoveries."  Its hard not to get bitter.  Yes I know, progress.
I kinda enjoy the research forum.  ;)

I understand that none of this stuff is anywhere close to helping me; but for all those newbies screaming where is my cure? why no cure after only 30 yrs when so many other things haven't been cured either? ::) Then that forum is a good place to point and say, see the scientists are working their asses off. It's just a hard damned bug to cure and if you're waiting for "the cure", you've got a long freaking wait. So get on the stick and stick to those antiretrovirals because those are the only thing you've got to combat the HIV.

it's good to see that the scientists are trying so many various methods, and that they are learning so much about the human body at such a cellular level. Personally though, I'm just not going to waste my time and hope on a cure though, because that forum shows how fantastically hard it's going to be to find a "cure". However that forum also shows that we haven't been forgotten and they are still trying to find us that cure. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 12:18:18 pm »
A bunch of hubaloo. 

Bitter?  Really?  Each advancement in the treatment of this disease has prolonged and provided a better quality of life than was ever anticipated.  As a middle aged man who was infected when I was pert near a child, I am grateful for every stride that is achieved. 

I'm also grateful that I've always chosen to look for that silver lining in this hideous disease and fought to maintain my existence.  Perhaps it's a mindset? 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 04:35:24 pm »
I agree with you Leatherman and Wolfter.

I was just noticing, that I DID notice how boilerplate this PR announcement is.  Which means I've finally seen enough of them to get to that critical awareness that people with a long experience of HIV already have.

I had the good fortune (ironically put) to seroconvert so recently that I haven't found a personal need to invest much time/attention to learning about research into HIV and HIV treatment, and learning about the history of the battle for treatment.   I just gleaned what I know from living through the whole history of the epidemic, but I wasn't positive, and never a treatment activist for example.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:57 pm »
I do not discount the progress that has been made regarding research of this disease.  Nor do I think that it is hopeless and we are all destined to be doomed.  I think I was just trying to convey that there is Soooo much written about this discovery, and that discovery.  It gets overwhelming.  Especially when the majority of "discoveries" do not lead to tangible results (at least immediately tangible). 

AND how each discovery is posted on this research forum like its the pandora! the breakthrough that we have all been waiting for. 

Thats all.  I'm very gratefull for the advances and hope for more.  I am actually quite optimistic about the future of this disease.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 07:10:08 pm »
Oh come on bugsy -- you mean you don't google "HIV + Cure" every 3 hours, every day like the rest of us? 8)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 07:45:00 pm »
I havent googled that in over 2 years I think.  ::)
Not my job to worry about and the news will travel like lightening, rest assured.

Offline LM

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2011, 08:29:16 pm »
I like reading here because I find scientific research interesting. And sometimes it's good to raise your spirit, so I like it when people post news here. Science moving forward (or trying to) is always good.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 08:51:14 pm »
I like reading about research as well, and have posted in this forum before on research I have found interesting or may be usefull to people.

I think the thing that bothered me about this post was the: BREAKING NEWS headline of the thread.  It makes it sound like it is more than what it is..if that makes sense.

I stopped googling HIV Cure awhile ago. It is much easier on my psyche to try and learn to be comfortable with my positive status and be gratefull when and if a cure does come than to ride the google cure roller coaster.  I think that is something that every newly positive person goes through (or at least its common).

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 09:14:43 pm »
I've never googled HIV + Cure my entire life.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2011, 09:46:22 pm »
Ive never googled those specific words either.  I have googled "hiv" on google news.  I havent done that in quite awhile.  I figure if its important enough I would read it on aidsbeacon or poz.co

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 09:49:14 pm »
you and I had HIV before Google was even a gleam in the internet's eye. :D Hell, we had HIV before there was even a medication for it. It's no wonder that you or I haven't googled "HIV cure" because we have personal knowledge of the epidemic and have had competent doctors that would have told us the moment a cure was discovered.

However, I'm not surprised that someone newly diagnosed, who probably hasn't given HIV much of a thought will google up info about HIV to see if there's a cure. Most people don't give a rip about some disease or illness that they don't have themselves, therefore don't know much about a disease until they get it and need to know. Looking for info about HIV is also why many of those people end up here ;)

One of the huge misconceptions out there is that the treatments today are damned near a cure. I'm sure many people wonder how HIV can be a big deal if the problem is solved with a pill a day. We often here people on here (who don't really understand the science and the medicine) who can't believe that there's not a cure after 30 long years.

Google returns about 18,400,000 results (0.07 seconds) for "HIV cure" so it's obviously a much-talked about subject. I would even venture to say that that result has gone up recently because nearly the whole first page of google returns IS about the cure! the "cure" of the Berlin Patient. (of course, I prefer to call it the "eradication of his HIV" not cure). So since there has been a "cure", it's no wonder that people would google up "HIV cure".
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 11:19:59 pm »
Actually I had internet capabilities within 12 months of diagnosis, and IIRC WebSearch was used as a search engine followed soon by Altavista. Such was life in NYC at the time.

And before you try and split hairs Bivens-style just don't.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:23:22 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2011, 04:23:33 am »
When there is a real, verifiable, tangible CURE, I figure the news will find me before I even consider looking for it.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2011, 08:18:29 am »

Me neither. I've always figured when a real, practical cure comes along, we're going to know about it pretty quickly, so why bother?

When there is a real, verifiable, tangible CURE, I figure the news will find me before I even consider looking for it.

'zactly.

I found this place a few weeks after my diagnosis by searching for "hiv support". Been a member ever since. I didn't even have my own computer back then - my ex-husband gave me a key to his house and a quick introduction to turning on a computer and getting on the internet.

Luckily, he had a great ex-office laser printer that used very little ink and he allowed me to print off as many pages as I wanted as long as I used my own paper. I would go there while he was at work and print off reams of information to read at home. I used to have a complete collection of the Lessons here.

To be honest, the only articles in this forum I usually bother with really reading are ones about new drugs in trials. Anything else I read here I only read from a moderator point of view - trying to herd cats in other words. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 05:22:15 pm »
Dear Ann, so do I, and also bother to read those related to trials comparing combos and those about long term secondary effects. But I must confess I read ones about vaccine research from time to time too. To  be updated  I read POZ news, Google news and these forums. Googleing times are gone with the winds of facts. They're steps: recently diagnosed, starting meds, getting used to meds, being married to meds, being a pill box with a human body at a series equipment. Each one of these stimulates different needs for information. Oh my god, I am getting old!

BTW, Ann, I love your avatar!!!

Hugs!

F :-)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.