Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:58:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 228
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

do I have to get on meds or not?

Right away!
3 (37.5%)
Wait for while!
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: Need help! here are my FIRST test results...  (Read 23731 times)

Offline ITHAPPENED

Need help! here are my FIRST test results...
« on: November 06, 2013, 12:40:18 pm »
Hey there, Memo here from mideast!
I am 50 yo, had 3 LTR for the last 25 years, 7 years with my wife, 12 years with the first bf, then 3 years with the last one.(It doesn mean that I  had been with them only.)
As an always safe-sexer, a true beleiver of LTR...
Been diagnosed poz on monday at 5.30pm,
just after 5 months breaking up with an LTR of 3 years.   
I know the date got infected 5th of September,  highfever and sweatty nights for 3-4 days started at 27 sept... thought it was just bcs I got cold because it went away easly with some antibiotics and pain killers!
My best friend who was tested at the end of august he was negative,
been diagnosed poz  at 11 am in the same day, and he worned me I should have  a test. Had it done right away! I was poz too! It was a weird situation... The we started to recall the guys he had been together in september...BANG! With the guy I had spent the night of 5th of september was the the matching one! They spent the night of 23rd of september! I had it safe but he told me that he was drunk and didnt remember if he used condoms or not! Thats why I can tell when I got the infection exactly! Actually it doesnt matter, what happened is happened!

When I heard the voice saying "doctor wants to see you immidiately" over the phone,I said to myself  "Oh man! Get ready to hear that you are poz!" 
When the doc told me that I was poz, I just asked him So whats next, what should I do now? . I felt no anger, no regrets, no panic, ne depression, at least I knew I would not die like 1980's, there are medicines  to live a normal(ish) life,
came home start searching on the web...  I found the poz.com, it was 7 pm in the same day, have stareted to read the forum, still reading and learning a lot.
Guys from the first moment I have heard, the only thing I could think was I could never have a relationship again, there would be no one sharing my life!
Seems like its my only concern about being poz... AM I WEIRD???
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 12:44:01 pm by ITHAPPENED »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Its Been 3 days!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:00:48 pm »
Guys from the first moment I have heard, the only thing I could think was I could never have a relationship again, there would be no one sharing my life!
Seems like its my only concern about being poz... AM I WEIRD???
Dating and love fears - that's pretty common, not weird at all.  Not true, either. You will have dates and love again.

Also, the other point - saying dating and love is the ONLY concern you can feel.  Well, that's a bit unusual as a reaction but I wouldn't call it weird.  Hey no reaction to a diagnosis is weird.

Probably as the "new normal" sinks in over the months, you'll discover other concerns, besides the dating games. Its not a walk in the park, even if its  a "chronic manageable" condition. 

Just hang onto your upbeat attitude and your calm, they will serve you well when you encounter a challenge.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 06:44:01 pm »
Well...May be I couldnt be clear while saying my concern. I was not mentioning dates... When I get the result my first decition was "no one will know!"
I was trying to say I would be alone while fighting. I am very much aware that it is not a walk in the park, I've already  learned that its a very serious health condition and "thanks to the forum" will have some very serious problems.I just accepted the irreversable situation in an analitic way, instead of crying, feeling guilty etc. It doesnt mean that I dont have fears and millions of questions. I dont know what happens when the challenges appear infront of me.
Most probably my brain blocking the heaviest part to keep my mental health in a good stage. You must be right, it will take time to get to used to the new life and/or to realize the truth!
Thanks for answering me :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »
Feeling guilty is also common enough but again its sort of useless and not even very logical.  Anyway, that will fade.  There are lots of silver linings already in your situation. Being analytical is good.  Eventually you'll feel what you need to feel.
Also a plus is that you are diagnosed so soon after infection.  Being directly in care will help you make the very least of the impact of the virus on your body.  And also as you know its 2013 so it really is a chronic manageable condition and your life will go on with adjustments but not necessarily huge detours.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 07:06:45 pm »
One last question, the following days after the diagnos, I started to feel itchy and tired immediately... can it be psychological ?

Offline ohwell

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »
Yes you can have a relationship, it might be good for you to focus now in yourself, what you want to do and your approach to HIV, like decide when to start medication etc, you might as well feel different emotions as time goes by, like anger etc, but it all shall pass and when it settles you might find someone to share your life with. 

I don't know about itchy, i got itchy months before i tested poz  but at that time my doctor said i might have been infected for years... and about being tired maybe it's your mind dealing with it.
they made me do it

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 08:25:23 pm »
Stress and shock can make you tired.
Stress can cause skin reactions that might make you itchy.
Hard to say.
Anyway do you have any numbers yet?

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:46 am »
I will have the numbers tomorrow, and let you know
Thank you guys

Offline ITHAPPENED

Need help! here are my FIRST test results...
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:51:30 am »
I got my CD4 and CD8 numbers and I will see my doc tomorrow.
I have to wait a couple of days for the viral load numbers.
Anti HIV 1&2 and p24 : Poz (14,56 s/co)
CD4: 863- 43.7%, CD8: 527 26.7%, CD4/CD8: 1.63
Are these ok?  Do I have to start the meds?
And is it time to  move to "Living with HIV"  from "I Just tested Poz"

Thanks a lot

Offline marcmoral16

Re: Need help! here are my FIRST test results...
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 11:54:59 am »
Hey ithappened,

Your CD4 and CD4 percentage are good your viral load would determine a lot. However that's a talk for you and your doctor they can guide you. I wish I had those numbers I :-).

As you become more comfortable with everything I would start posting in living with HIV.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask away.
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:22:30 pm »
Hey It.

Your numbers look really good and do not indicate any need for medications.  Once you have your viral load, you can discuss any other concerns with your doctor.

Adjusting to being poz is a journey and if you feel that you will benefit more, from posting in the Living With HIV forum, feel free to do so.  We added this forum for the newly infected, because some newly infected, feel more welcome among others experiencing the initial reactions to becoming poz.

As always, please feel free to post whatever you need to post, as we do not judge anyone here.

Joe

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 04:46:49 pm »
Thanks guys,
its really great to have you here, I really feel like surrounded by friends
listening and helping me.
Tomorrow I will have some tests (labs and tests are something I get to used to it I guess) and will get the opinions of the doc. I will share whap happenes.

Thanks
Memo

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 10:07:41 pm »
Hey, ITHAPPENED. Sorry about the news, but welcome to the forums.

Obviously it's between you and your doctor, but be advised that current US guidelines for treating HIV call for starting antiretroviral treatment regardless of CD4+ count. There is a lot of new evidence that starting early leads to better outcomes both for communities and individuals. Look into it before dismissing medication. The newer pills can be (can be) a piece of cake.

Lee
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline ITHAPPENED

Thats me again! 1st day with the doc
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 12:10:05 pm »
Hey guys...
That was hell of a day :)
Went to my doc, she said my CD values were almost perfect, but we should wait for the VL results, most probably VL would be a little high bcs I ve been infected just 2 months ago! She asked me if I want to start meds now or later after telling  the plus and minus sides of  both, and she adviced to start right after getting the all test results! I will start  meds immediately.Hope that is a good decition.
Went to the lab, gave full of tubes and tubes and tubes of blood, saying "  man you should get used to it! Kidneys, liver, lungs, cholesterol and lots of other things will be checked. Should wait for the VL numbers. So I have 10 more days to wait.
Felling good, no depression, no panic even I felt good when ou guys and the doc said the CD values are good :)... So I registered a new way of happines in my brain... :)

I am writing these things here and it really makes me feel better sharing with someone, I know u r there ...thanks for being there :)

And I have to go to a set-up date tonight which has been set before my diagnosis by a mutual friend...
It was too late to cancel, I dont know what to do! Telling him that I am poz is impossible.
Any comments or ideas will be appriciated!

I know some of you guys may say this is such a light issue, but some light issues sometimes help us to feel ok, to forget, to dally  huh?

Cheers guys, be good

Offline mecch

Re: Thats me again! 1st day with the doc
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, 12:24:26 pm »
Congratulations on your continued good spirit and mind-set!

You don't have to tell your date that you are HIV+ unless you are planning on sex at the first date.  You could use the date as an opportunity to divert your mind and just enjoy yourself.  Have fun.   Kudos you can even manage a date.  Good for you.

Starting soon after infection is surely full of advantages. As long as you are set up for adherence (financially and psychologically) go forward and conquer.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2013, 12:50:01 pm »
Thanks mecch,
Doc said the first month could be challenging bcs of the side effects and if every thing goes well my body will get to used to have the new chems in my stream and will start feel better. She said most probably we would go for stribilt  but its up to the result of the Resistance test.
I am "positively" sure that I will sleep alone tonight, I took a decition that am not going to have sex till my VL will be UD! Then a bottle of champaigne, lots of care and a very safe and pleasurable night as a reward of dealing well with the new life :)
And one of my decition...It will change my life in a way but I wont let it to change me!
I was a happy, cheerful, good to be together guy!
I wont let it to take my laughter and I wont let it to make me unhappy!
I am still me and will always be even in my 80!

Offline JH3310

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 03:16:15 pm »
Your attitude is amazing. I hope that on monday when I go to the doctor for the first time I feel the same way you do. Total inspiration.  :D

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 06:45:07 pm »
Hey JH
keep calm, be yourself and fight... as far as I can understand that only 50% of the treatment is on meds... rest is you! I've read a lot on this from during the last 5 days.
The stories about the ones who gave up bcs of lonliness, tiredness, helplessnes!
Never give up JH... Still tight, tell yourself that its going to be ok, you wont die, sure you will have hard days but you will be alive! My sister has cancer, it came back for the second time and she is right about to get rid of it for the second time... thats the inspiration, she never gave up, smiled and she accepted the painfull sides of the treatment smiling gracefully... now she is ok, she has to take 1 pill at the end of her life, just like we have to do!... See? no differance the thing we have is just a medical condition like so many others... well ours is bcs of being a little naughty and incauitous but than again its just a medical condition! Is it hard yes, but life is hard too, is it controlable yes, easier then cancer or some others, is it deadly yes if you dont  play the game with the rules or leave the game!
Even I could understand the rules of the game in 5 days as a mule! :)

Remember, you wont die and you'll be fine, be sure, and here are wonderful guys will be your side and will answer all your questions, will calm you down.

I just got back from the date (its 01.44 am here), and wont you ask me how was it?? :)

Stay well, health be with you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 08:06:07 am »
Hi IH, welcome to the forums.

I've merged your three threads that all chronicle your first days of diagnosis, including your first lab results and first doctor visit.

It makes it easier for people to get to know you and therefore be better placed to give you advice when all the relevant information is in one thread. :)

You're going to be just fine. One word of advice I'd give you is to make sure you wait for the resistance test to come back before you decide to start taking meds. With your fantastic CD4 counts, you have time to explore your options and make an informed decision.

Hugs,
Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2013, 05:11:46 pm »
Hey Ann
thanks for tidying me up :)
Doc said we should wait for the resistance test result to start the meds too.
I am worried about the VL, what it the result will be very high? Does it mean that my CD level will go down very fast if I dont start the meds? I see some results here, very low CD but UD VL or high CD but also high VL. So seems tere is no logic or formulas about the ratios right?

Thanks for the warm welcome Ann.
Cheers

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2013, 02:25:36 pm »
Hi Memo,

I am sorry that you are here, but I would be lying if I did not say your posts made me smile at your love off life, and your determination to keep that , so did you sleep alone?

m

ps Please remember you are also allowed to not always be upbeat, in your case I do not think it would last a long time.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »
Hey Theyer
I hope you dont think about me that I am one of  the "redicilously happy" ones!! :)
Sure I know I am allowed to feel down even sad , but  I can't effort such "luxirious feelings"  right now. I think "blue feelings" are dangerous invaders, they easly conquers the soul, just like hiv. I don't know what is waiting for me in the future, hopefully its gonna be ok but if not, I want to use my rights to be a sonopuss!! (I couldnt be sure if I remembered the word right :) )
And the date:
Before I went out to meet him, II knew that I  wouldd sleeo alone, but found myself tidying the house, checking the bedroom , changing the guest towels etc as an old habit!
Darn, he was handsome, 6'5(195cm) bearded, icehokey player, musician...omg! its kind of a fetish for me the ones taller than me (I am 6'3/190cm) and piano player guys! Can you beleive that he was kinnda "2in1"... That was a very nice night we chatted for almost 3 hours, I didnt mention about my condition. (in my country its impossible to do! May be thats why I am writing here on the board : the need of sharing with someone! )
At the end we had achothers phone numbers and decided to see eacher sometimes for a drink or so!
And yes... I slept alone! :(
I even dont want to think about, what if we like eachother! Most probably I will keep him away by some incoherent excuses! And he will think about me that I am an idiot :)

And pleased to meet you Theyer

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2013, 03:56:29 pm »
OMG...next time I have to do proof reading, sorry for the typoes!

Offline Theyer

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 06:50:31 am »
My late Partner was a pianist , tiny rippling hand muscles are a rare delight.

I imagine you are where ?

Guest towells such good manners .

The reason I ask for your country off origin or where you currenly live is it will have figures for Hiv infection which will be a base line for you to know how many people are pretending to not have it .

And I am hoping that armed with infomation like that, then you will see that if you should want a relationship it is there for you .

I really really do not think you are cut out for the life off a Monk. It,s just a feeling I have.

Brother Theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 11:12:08 am »
 ;D hey theyer, thanks for the answer.
we will see what happens in time.
I am just waiting the test results that will be here on 18th.
I will share and your opnions also.
Cheers
Memo

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 06:48:46 am »
Hey guys,
my viral load result came today:

HIV-1 RNA : 1810
CD4: 863- 43.7%,
CD8: 527 26.7%,
CD4/CD8: 1.63

I will see my doc tomorrow morning... any comments????

Offline uncertain

• Trying to find my way
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 07:23:56 am »
Hi,  I was diagnosed and sero'd in September, I have had a lot of side effects, muscle weakness from Truvada/Isentress.  Let me know how your treatment goes. 
The candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long....

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:26 am »
Hi,  I was diagnosed and sero'd in September, I have had a lot of side effects, muscle weakness from Truvada/Isentress.  Let me know how your treatment goes.
Sero'd in September.  Meaning you seroconverted - got the virus, in September?  If so, the muscle weakness may be about the viral infection, and it being gradually controlled, and not necessarily the treatment-drug.

Offline mecch

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2013, 11:54:53 am »
Hey guys,
my viral load result came today:

HIV-1 RNA : 1810
CD4: 863- 43.7%,
CD8: 527 26.7%,
CD4/CD8: 1.63

I will see my doc tomorrow morning... any comments????

Great numbers!

Offline uncertain

• Trying to find my way
« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2013, 12:14:02 pm »
well the viral load went from 11,000,000 to 1,000 in 4 weeks. But the side effects did not start until 4 weeks and continue now.  i.e. sore ass when I sit on hard surfaces. Back bone pain in middle, sometimes lower back, shoulder and joint pain, the
Doc told me to deal with it until December 4th, my Cd4 was 550 at diagnosis, and my western blot negative.  It's odd in the beginning I had some tiredness as from the illness, but the muscle pains and feeling of being like 80 with joints and bones came in last few weeks.  Fingers are sometimes pained (from typing), feet sometimes tingling.  I liked the Truvada Isentress profile (also on prezista and norvir but told doc i wanted to drop them).  The Norvir makes my stomach hard and hurt a bit, THAT, I can deal with, its the muscle pains, so I wonder what will be next, I don't know if Im allergic, I was not when they did the test a month ago, maybe they will take me off it, on the bright side, no more sweats or "sick feeling" just the exhaustion and muscle pain..... I guess I can pray that as I was medicated so quickly, I can possibly go off the stuff in two years (doc says 20% chance) that as I was treated so quickly.  Thanks, all.  Jeff

Offline ITHAPPENED

Oficially HIV+...Getting on meds on monday!!
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:53 am »
Hey guys its me again...
Seen my doc this morning.I got all my test results, kidney, lungs, bloodsugar, etc etc They all ok! Let me remind the VL,CD levels of mine: HIV-1 RNA : 1810,
CD4: 863- 43.7%, CD8: 527 26.7%, CD4/CD8: 1.63
When she see the VL,CD values, she started to ask me if I was keen on starting the meds, If I really wanted to start the meds, if I was sure and really want to start the meds...She asked the same questions with different words over and over again!
I said yes, why wait for lower CD, higher VL etc.
And been prescript ed
for Truvada & Stocrin. I will give blood sample on Monday for Resistance test, and she said no need to wait for the result you may start immediately after giving the blood sample. I was thinking to start with the Stiribild, but couldn't be possible bcs the government rules. Government pays the treatment in my country and Stribilt is not on the list of payable meds bcs its a new med!
Anyway will start a new life on Monday hoping not to face much side effects. I've read some side effects about truvada  like nightmares, insomnia etc. I dont know if it happens all the Truvada users, hope not!
Doc said first month could be challenging and difficult till the body gets to used to the chems in the system, then it would fade off! Hope its true too!
Any guidance or comments could be very helpfull and be appreciated on this stage.
And I decided to move to "Questions About Treatment & Side Effects" and "Living With HIV" forums :)
II dont know where to write my dating adventures yet! :) :) :) Hey! Admins may be we need social life forum kind of a thing to cheer up, to gossip etc :)
Thanks in advance for every answers, every word, every letter you will write

Cheers
Memo

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Oficially HIV+...Getting on meds on monday!!
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2013, 06:55:06 am »
Hey! Admins may be we need social life forum kind of a thing to cheer up, to gossip etc :)

That's what the off topic forum is for , its a place to discuss anything other than HIV . If you mean a dating site then there is poz personals but from what I hear it aint all that LOL . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2013, 07:20:15 am »
The side effects you describes are often referred to as CNS central nervous system effects.  But its the Stocrin - Sustiva - Efavirinz (all names for the same molecule) that could cause them, and NOT the Truvada (which as two other molecules.)

Since there is no rush, you might as well wait and consider all your drug options and learn about them a bit.  Also time for resistance test to come in.

Why don't you find out the list of drugs available and for free to you and put them up in this thread, and people can comment...  There might be an alternative to stocrin.  Might not.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2013, 07:35:13 am »
Hello Meech its nice to hear from you.
Actually that was the first first think I asked what was my options about the meds, she said this is one of the fast resulting combo in my situation, and yes there were some others, but she wanted to start with this and wanted to keep the others just in case for the unbearable side effects if happens (if I cant handle them in long run).

@Jeff : No no I didnt mean a dating site I am very remote from the great guys on personals! I am having dates here but no intimacy! I dont feel ready to declare my condition yet. Actually there is one seen each other twice and getting kinnda flirtatious
level...errr... I dont know what would be his reaction when he hears! And no so sure
if he would keep it as a confidential issue or share with the others as a juicy gossip :).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2013, 08:01:17 am »

i.e. sore ass when I sit on hard surfaces. Back bone pain in middle, sometimes lower back, shoulder and joint pain,

Have you been tested for hep C? Untreated hep C can cause joint pain. I had hep C for about fourteen years before I had hiv and it was only after I had hiv that hep C started causing me a lot of problems - and the two main ones were joint pain and fatigue.

Regarding your sore ass, you say you've been bed-ridden for much of the past few months. It could be that you've lost some muscle/fat on your ass and that will definitely make sitting uncomfortable.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2013, 08:44:24 am »
Well I think your doctor isn't giving you full information, rather a recommendation and a push.  If you are curious, find out the list of approved medicine and post it here.

As for the side effects of Stocrin, only a few people experience them. But when they do, it can be quite unpleasant.  There are other combinations available and there usually is a solution.  However, as you seem curious, and in the spirit of being proactive, I think you should know the approved list, from the get go.  Knowledge is power.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:24 am »
Just called her :)
I will see her tom morning again to get the names and the combinations.
Than I will share :)
Thanks for your support meech :)

Offline uncertain

• Trying to find my way
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2013, 11:33:22 am »
Thanks, they tested me for everything and my hepatitis test was negative.  I will go to the doctor Friday I think instead of waiting till December as now my Spine is killing me (today) I work part time and its odd, I would describe this pain as what I imagine arthritis to be.  I will hope for the best.  I've tried doing a bit of resistance exercises, but too weak.  Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
Thanks, they tested me for everything and my hepatitis test was negative.

You'd be wise to double-check that you were tested for hep C. Many doctors don't bother - they only test for hep B. Everyone who is hiv positive should get screened periodically for both hep B and C.

edited to add: If you haven't been vaccinated for hep B, you should talk to your doctor about it. Unfortunately there is no vaccine for hep C.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:37:18 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Theyer

« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 01:29:34 pm »
Wonderfull numbers IT.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2013, 04:11:02 pm »
All the best, as you begin meds.  Hope all goes well with little to no side-effects.  And, from what I hear, that is often the case.

I was curious about starting before the resistance results are back.  Seems like you are in no rush, so why get a script that may not be an option for you. 

Again, all the best!

Ted

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »
Hey Ted
when the things sink down  I am getting clearer... you are right too like Mecch.
I will talk about the resistance test with her tomorrow.

Cheers
You guys are really helpfull thanks a lot

Offline ITHAPPENED

TO START OR NOT TO START? Confused... do I have to get on meds or not?
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 03:22:18 am »
Guys started to get confused....
Do I have to start to take the pills or not!
HIV-1 RNA : 1810, CD4: 863- 43.7%, CD8: 527 26.7%, CD4/CD8: 1.63

Offline mecch

Re: TO START OR NOT TO START? Confused... do I have to get on meds or not?
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 07:36:58 am »
You do not have to start.

Is someone telling you that you "have to" start?

There are arguments for starting HIV treatment at diagnosis and arguments for waiting until there are certain indicators in the blood - for example: CD4 lower than 500 and on a downward trend.

Arguments for staring meds when the immune system is more or less still intact can be divided into at least two domains

1) body, health:  going undetectable protects the body from low level damage from ongoing HIV infection.  Or this current jag in the zeitgeist - maybe maybe maybe very early treatment means something, as well, for reservoirs, very hypothetical cures, etc etc etc 

2) social, psychological, and epidemiology (going undetectable leads to benefits in these areas - for example, married couple wants to conceive, or serodiscordant couple wants the extra security of undetectable, or a person receives a psychological reward knowing he/she no longer has an active infection, etc etc).  So this domain is NOT about one's health or long-term prognosis.

_________

Despite the arguments above, I believe the current science is there is no proven health benefit, when studying POPULATIONS (and therefore not individuals) to going on HAART before the CD4 recommended point. 

____

One's individual experience may vary.  Science is about populations, trends.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2013, 10:25:24 am »
Thanks meech.
Well... I just want to understand this: If I wait for the lower CD values, does it mean that some hiv related health problems will start and my VL will be on higher levels. If so, doesn't it mean that the body should have to fight more and more to create a higher level of CD and to decrease the VL levels, instead of hanging on a good level and fighting to stay there? Doesn't it easier?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2013, 10:30:40 am »
Hi It . I have merged your threads into one so that we can see and respond to all your concerns in one place . It will help you and us if you post in this one thread and not start multiple threads on the same subject . Thanks and good luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2013, 01:05:29 pm »
Thanks meech.
Well... I just want to understand this: If I wait for the lower CD values, does it mean that some hiv related health problems will start and my VL will be on higher levels. If so, doesn't it mean that the body should have to fight more and more to create a higher level of CD and to decrease the VL levels, instead of hanging on a good level and fighting to stay there? Doesn't it easier?

If I wait for the lower CD values, does it mean that some hiv related health problems will start and my VL will be on higher levels
---  maybe you will have HIV related problems. everyone's experience is different
---  yes, the point of HIV infection is for the vast majority - the VL will rise over time and the immune system will be destroyed. I don't think its a garantee that one person must have high VL to have a destroyed immune system.  Not everyone entered in the AIDS diagnosis with catastrophic viral loads...

If so, doesn't it mean that the body should have to fight more and more to create a higher level of CD and to decrease the VL levels,
--  not sure what your complicated question is asking.  The body fights HIV non-stop from infection onwards.  Going on HAART stops replication and the body repairs immune damage as best as possible... 

Did no one share the common experience graph with you?  Ask leatherman, he has it handy. Your doctor really should have shown you something like that....  I can find it for you but right now I'm at work and on break, so,,, maybe someone else can post it....

Doesn't it easier? --  not sure what your question is here.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2013, 01:36:13 pm »
Ok mecch, its bcs of my english.As you can understand I am not a native speaker!
Let me try to explain again:
I think (just thinking, no researches, no scientific readings, just a simple logic)
If you start the meds when your immune system starts to crush, body will work on  to get the low CD levels to higher level and keep it there...This is a bigger work for the body,
if you have good levels at the start the meds trying to keep the CD levels where they are is an easier work for the body .
You say: "Going on HAART stops replication and the body repairs immune damage as best as possible."
So starting the meds earlier, when your immune damage was not so big, body will repair it as best as possible, right?

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2013, 03:54:58 pm »
It sounds like you are interested to start meds now, even though by the research, to date, there is no justification for the long-term prognosis. 

Listen, there are PLENTY of doctors who will agree with you that its a great decision to start HAART soon after infection, and also no matter if someone has "good" numbers like you do. 

Your reasoning sounds fine to me but I AM NOT A DOCTOR nor any sort of expert in HIV treatment and when to start, etc.

I answer your questions just because you ask them, and someone needs to answer, and its nice to get a prompt answer.  So I give the general information i have learned being part of this forum for about 5 years.

Offline ITHAPPENED

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2013, 04:36:01 pm »
Dear M ,
first of all I am very thankful for your answers. And I know you are not a doc.
I just need your and other ones experiences.
I am just trying to understand what is what.
Here in my country its almost imposibble to find resources to learn the things,
even the docs are very inexperianced about hiv. They are just following the standart prosedures. She even couldnt give any info about the early start. She just said the things I already know: "some docs want to wait for lower cd values, some not!" no details no nothing.Thats why I keep asking questions here. So your answers are very valuable for me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.