Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 469
Total: 469

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help Jaser in his course selection. :O  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Help Jaser in his course selection. :O
« on: January 22, 2007, 04:19:44 pm »
So, I'm choosing my classes to begin in a week for my PA Cyber thingie. I looked over the list and picked out things I was interested in, now I just have to narrow it down. Each class is worth .5 credits, some of them come in two parts, totaling 1 credit. I need 4 english credits, 3 science, 3 math, 4 history and something in fine arts or a foreign language. I think I can choose more than that.

I already have 2 math credits total, 2 english credits, 2 science credits and 2 history. So, yeah. And then various electives that I'm sure they'll figure out how that goes in. I also have two years of spanish already.

ANYWAYS, I plan on going to college with some sort of english major in mind. Either english literature or creative writing.

Here is what I'm interested in:

Math: (I am atrocious in math. Math and I together are a joke. I just want to pass and get my last required credit. I don't know if I'll take another math my senior year. I don't wanna. I hate math.)
- Geometry.
- Algebra 2.

English: (I nearly spooged my pants when I saw all the different stuff that counted for english credits. I. Love. English.)
- A World of Short Stories
- British Literature
- Classical Mythology
- Intro to College Writing
- Intro to Short Stories
- Mythology
- Mystery/Science Fiction
- Mystery Fiction

Science: (I am indifferent to science.)
- Chemistry
- Environmental Science
- Explore the Universe
- Mysteries of the Solar System
- Physical Science
- Physics

History: (I fucking adore history. It struggles with english as my favorite subject all the time.)
- Ancient History
- Economics
- Government
- Medieval History
- Psychology (I reaaaalllyyy wanna take a psych. class.)
- Sociology
- World History
- World Religions

Fine Arts:
- Cinematic Review
- Fashion and Design
- Intro to Screen Writing
- Theatre

Foreign Language:
- Chinese 1
- French 1
- Spanish 3

You don't have to narrow it down or anything. I'm going to choose on my own obviously, but I was wondering what you guys thought were the pros and cons of each choice or something like that. Thanks!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Re: Help Jaser in his course selection. :O
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 04:26:49 pm »
hmmm. I LOVED college. too bad it only lasted 4 years.

Anywayz. here is what I would do.

Find out who are the easiest professors or the one's who give open book test.

I hated math so that i have no advice, I failed statistics 3x.
english: Short stories - Loved it, i have a short attention span so reading a 5 page story was da best and it goes straight to the point.
Science: Anything that has to do with the human body. Would be beneficial.
History: Psych, although you will diagnose yourself with every illness
Fine Arts: Cinema - LOVE IT but if you are a fashionista then do fashion
Foreign Language- Retake Spanish II

Hope it helps.

Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 04:30:20 pm »
hmmm. I LOVED college. too bad it only lasted 4 years.

Anywayz. here is what I would do.

Find out who are the easiest professors or the one's who give open book test.

I hated math so that i have no advice, I failed statistics 3x.
english: Short stories - Loved it, i have a short attention span so reading a 5 page story was da best and it goes straight to the point.
Science: Anything that has to do with the human body. Would be beneficial.
History: Psych, although you will diagnose yourself with every illness
Fine Arts: Cinema - LOVE IT but if you are a fashionista then do fashion
Foreign Language- Retake Spanish II

Hope it helps.

Giggle.

I am in highschool. I'm a junior. All of this will be self-taught/homeschool style so I don't have any traditional teachers.

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 04:35:34 pm »
oh lolz.

Thats cool. I didn't have a choice in HS, except in language and literature. I guess you can't cheat from anyone else or copy anyone's homework. But you can still follow my advice.  So you must be a baby. Awwwww.... I remember when I was a junior in HS.. awwwwwwww you sound adorable.

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 04:35:41 pm »
Just my personal prefs Mouse:

- Get someone else to take math for you
 - Intro to college Writing
 - Mysteries of the Solar System
 - Mediaeval History
 - Intro to Screen writing
 - French 1

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 04:46:03 pm »
-Is most certainly not a baby by any stretch of the imagination.-

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 04:46:51 pm »
Oh. I am sorry if I offended you Mouse.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 06:38:56 pm »
Take psych!  I took an IB psych class in high school and loved it.  Majored in it for a bit in college, too.

Be warned... there is a bit of statistics involved... but psych is the best social science... meaning you really can't be wrong just so long as you sound like you know what you're talking about!  Whoo hoo!
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2007, 06:56:43 pm »
""Be warned... there is a bit of statistics involved... but psych is the best social science... meaning you really "..aupoint
My choices would be World Religions and Sociology.......based on what has been said.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2007, 07:28:45 pm »
Geometry – it may prove useful if you ever get into geography, which is tied to history.  You don’t have to be a whiz at it but just get the basic concepts down and knock that last credit out. 
Intro to Short Stories – hey, you got to have something fun.
Environmental Science – relevant to our future, a current event topic and hopefully marketable.
Sociology – ties better to history and geography while integrating psychology with more case studies.  Can be a little more statistical though.   
World History – it may open your eyes if taught right. 
Cinematic Review – at least you’ll get a better grade for having a difference of opinion. 
Spanish 3 – an increasingly marketable skill you can always fall back on.  It'll certainly give you the edge if it's you pitted against another.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 07:35:21 pm by MSPspud »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 07:58:12 pm »
Mouse here is what I would probably take:
Algebra 2
Intro to College Writing
A World of Short Stories
Chemistry
Environmental Science
Government
Sociology
Fashion and Design
Intro to Screen Writing
Cinematic Review
Spanish 3

Offline Jody

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2007, 11:29:41 pm »
Dear jaser/laser phaser...Take a workd of short strories, Mythical storeis
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 12:38:09 am »
Smaller One,

Fear not! Matty the Damned has, at your personal request, some suggestions here.

First up, it seems you gotta have the maths type subjects. I recommend geometry in this case. It's all shapes and lines and stuff. For science, go with Mysteries of the Solar System. Sounds like a total bludge and lets face it, since this is High School you're just coasting through until you get to University. If you can avoid breaking a sweat, do.

As for these:

Fine Arts:
- Cinematic Review
- Fashion and Design
- Intro to Screen Writing
- Theatre

I advise taking great care. They smell suspiciously queer to me. Theatre? Fashion and Design? Whilst some might call this education, I call it AIDS with a blackboard. In a pinch, (or a mince whichever takes your fancy) I recommend Cinematic Review. Sounds like you can just lay around watching DVD's and express your opinions. Teens are good at that.

Now we come to the History/English section -- aka the humanities. Listen to your heart here, Kidlet. You'll get the best marks if you do the subjects that interest you most. That said, Matty the Damned counsels strongly against doing Psychology. It's a pseudo-science and, what's more, it's deathly boring. You'll soon discover that standard deviations are nowhere near as much fun as they sound.

Sociology is far superior, but similarly I don't recommend it. How do I know this? I studied sociology at University, and frankly, that's where it should be kept. It's not a High School subject, no matter what the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania might think.

As for the languages, well I think it's pretty obvious that Chinese is out. You don't speak a word of it and it's a godlessly difficult language which even native speakers struggle with. At the grand old age of 16 you're never gonna get the hang of Chinese. Since you already have basic proficiency in both Spanish and French, do whichever one is gonna get you the best marks.

Insanelovehugz,

MtD

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: Help Jaser in his course selection. :O (I have chosen!)
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 04:14:56 pm »
Okay, so, here's how it worked out in the end:

- Geometry parts 1 and 2 will fulfill my last required math course. This is good because geometry isn't very mathy and me and math... it's a joke.
- For my english credit I've decided on two half credit courses - Classical Mythology first and Mythology second. The lady told me that's the two hardest classes in english they offer. Hahaha.
- I've decided on two half credit science courses - Environmental Science and Mysteries of the Solar System. Both interest me so that's good.
- I decided on the half credit course of World Religions for half of my history credit, and I really wanted to take that, so despite me having complete respect for my Matty's opinion, I've coupled it the second half of the year with Psychology because I needed another half credit course. It was either Psychology, history of Pennsylvania or history of New Mexico (wtf?) as far as other half credit courses in the history department and I needed that other half credit. Sorry. xD
- I've decided to take Cinematic Review.
- And Spanish 3 because it *looks good on college applications*. I wanted French because I'm actually stronger in french and writing Spanish makes me angry but 3 years of the same language looks a lot better.

So, there.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 04:20:50 pm »
Mysteries of the Solar System sounds cool.

"Who spilled the blood on the Great Red Spot?  Why was Pluto demoted?  And does this have anything to do with the fact that Venus has no moon?"

Seriously... my nerd sense is tingling on your behalf.  And that's a good thing.

Bonne chance avec tes courses!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 06:13:16 pm »
Jaser, I was going to suggest the Classical Mythology courses. Those writings are the basis of so much of literature that followed. By getting the Classical down you will have a wonderful foundation for appreciating what came afterwards right up to the present. So many of the core themes of life are there....

There's a classic book by Joseph Campbell, HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES, which might make good supplemental reading.

Have fun with all of those courses!
Andy Velez

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 03:30:34 am »
Its 3:30 am here mouse dont you have school tomorrow? Gonna be sleeping through those courses. LOL
Meds doing well so far.

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 07:07:29 am »
being fluent in chinese will almost guarantee you employment in something you enjoy in the future.
spanish is not a bad choice. any gringo living in south or west wishes they could speak spanish. I wish I had the energy to learn spanish,there are several times a week it would come in handy. All I know are the curse words.

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 08:43:27 pm »
Una cerveza, por favor. Knowing a language other than your native one does broaden one significantly. I wish there was more time in the day to learn more of them. It's a great investment.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 08:55:21 pm »
Una cerveza, por favor. Knowing a language other than your native one does broaden one significantly. I wish there was more time in the day to learn more of them. It's a great investment.

It is... whilst at this cool French bar somewhere in New York... staffed by real French chicks and everything... my knowledge of French came in handy.  To the point where I was given many free drinks for the simple reason I spoke French.

Best. Investment. Ever.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.