Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:46:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772954
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 456
Total: 457

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla VS Eviplera (Complera)  (Read 10832 times)

Offline JustJacks

Atripla VS Eviplera (Complera)
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:33:44 am »
Hi guys,

I'm sure this question has most certainly been asked before but nonetheless I'm looking for your own personal opinions/experiences. Based on individual experiences with these combos, do you think I should go on atripla or eviplera?

Researching both combos the advantages of atripla appear to be that it isn't reliant upon a meal, in fact discouraged. I've heard people say that taken before you go to bed means that you can possibly sleep through side effects too. Disadvantage being that I've heard quite a few say that the side effects of atripla can linger for quite some time and that it should be taken 2-3 hours after you ate to avoid a higher absorption which would otherwise lead to intensifying side effects am I right?

Advantage of eviplera being that most people only seem to report stomach grumbles, flatulence and diarrhoea as side effects as opposed to in my opinion harsher side effects such as insomnia, depression and anxiety issues with atripla.
However, it has to be taken with a meal which feels to me like another reliance/set routine - what if I can't stomach/really eat a meal 400 calories plus?

Also, can I ask about your experiences with both pills concerning window time. If you choose to normally take atripla at 11 pm, you could take it at either 10 pm or 12 am quite easily right? Even then I've heard that's quite a strict guideline with some saying that the window time could be up to 7 hours before/after set time if need be.
I'm only asking because as I'm sure you guys know and have most definitely experienced social scenarios and maybe with shift work that it can overlap with the time you're supposed to take the pill. 

Not too sure about timings for eviplera (complera), does anyone have any information on this for me?

Lastly, I feel like atripla will be more discreet due to the fact that it is recommended to be administered before you go to bed. Avoids all the questions I guess.
Whereas, if you chose to take eviplera at 8 pm every evening with your dinner, how would it work with social gatherings? I don't really want to go out for dinner with friends and have to be set in stone with what time we eat. Having to excuse myself from the table after I've eaten so that I can go to the toilet to take the medication I feel would just lead to endless questioning and excuses.

Maybe I could work around it by eating at whatever time with friends and then nearer the allocated time for taking eviplera eat a light snack like toast or a sandwich even if I'm not particularly hungry.

I know I probably sound like I'm thinking into it too much or just sound damn right pedantic but your experience/advice would help immensely I guess.

Thanks guys!

Jack.

Offline buginme2

Re: Atripla VS Eviplera (Complera)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 12:28:29 pm »
Hi. 

Determination 1. Is your viral load above or below 100,000?  If it is above you should skip the Complera and go with Atripla. 

As far as timing goes.  I take my Atripla before I go to bed, if that is 9pm fine, if its 2am fine.  You really do not need to worry about time just make sure you take it before bed.  I travel a lot for work and if I travel to a time zone several hours away I still just take it before bed. 

You should take Atripla on an empty stomach.  However once you get used to it after a few months you can start to relax that requirement.  I've been on it for awhile and now I do not concern myself if I have eaten or not.  I can take it on a full or empty stomach with no problems.

Atripla can cause some or exacerbate some psychiatric problems.  If you have a history of depression or anxiety you maybe should take a pass.  I did not have any history of depression or anxiety however, after starting Atripla I developed some anxiety.  I continued with the medication and it did eventually go away but it made for a few uncomfortable months. 

Everyone is different and reacts to meds differently.  Remember the majority of people do fine on whichever med they choose. Mwhichever one you choose you most likely will do just fine and if you dont you can always switch.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:54:33 pm »
JustJacks;

Welcome to the forums -- I went through the same process you are going through now and ended up deciding on Complera.  The deciding factor for me was that I tend to have some anxiety - which I manage well without medication or anything but I didn't want to compound it. 

I take my meds with lunch - it is generally the most consistent meal of the day for me.  I also travel for work and the advice I got was to just take it with lunch wherever you are.  In terms of the social thing - I was worried about that but so far it hasn't been an issue at all.  Most of the time I just make sure I have my med in my pocket going to lunch and discreetly take it right after my last bite.  Actually, since doing this I have noticed that one of my co-workers takes a big bag of vitamins with lunch every day.  I don't think anyone really notices and if they do they just assume its vitamins or some minor medication.

Regarding side effects -- I think I have had some very, very minor light headedness during the first few weeks for an hour or two after taking the med, maybe some irritability (that could be stress at work too) - but all in all, virtually no side effects (so far, knock on wood).

Finally, if you haven't already, you can get all the info you need by Googling "package insert" and the name of the med.  Here is Complera:

http://www.gilead.com/pdf/complera_pi.pdf

My final thought is a point that a few folks here gave me and that is the side effects only apply to a small percentage of people -- its good to be educated but don't worry too much about them.  I also think that we read so much about the side effects because people are more likely to post if there is a problem and less likely to post if there isn't.

Again, welcome to the forums and I wish you well.

JM

03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline JustJacks

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:00:18 pm »
Thank you both for your responses; gives me some food for thought!

Jack.

Offline JustJacks

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

I take my Atripla before I go to bed, if that is 9pm fine, if its 2am fine.  You really do not need to worry about time just make sure you take it before bed.

So it's quite relaxed for timing when it comes to atripla then as long as you take it before you go to bed?
I've just heard some people say that if one night for instance you take it a few hours late but then the next night take it at your allocated time there will be an excess amount of the meds in your system which could lead to implications. Is this true?

Thanks buginme2.

Jack.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 02:00:14 pm »

So it's quite relaxed for timing when it comes to atripla then as long as you take it before you go to bed?
I've just heard some people say that if one night for instance you take it a few hours late but then the next night take it at your allocated time there will be an excess amount of the meds in your system which could lead to implications. Is this true?

Jack.

What kind of implications?  Is this true? I would say no.

To be fair, when I very first started I did take it at about the same time each night (a lot because I kept a schedule and went to bed at the same time).  It's been quite a long time however that I have even thought about timing.  I couldn't tell you what time I took my meds last night, or the night before.  I just take it before bed, whenever that is.  It's become quite simple and mindless, you brush your teeth, swallow a pill, to to bed, don't ever think about it. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 09:52:17 pm »
If your worried about people scoping you out when you take a pill with food, I always tell people its a stomach med. Then they could care less.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 08:31:47 am »
I take meds - all sorts of different meds - in public all the time. Never once has anyone asked what I was taking - unless you count the time someone came up and asked if I'd just taken paracetamol because if I had, could they borrow two as they also had a headache. I hadn't taken paracetamol but gave her some anyway because I had some on me.

People could care less what you're shoving down your gob, as long as it's not turning you into a raving lunatic ten minutes later.

And if some nosy idiot insists on asking - tell them it's your TB meds and start violently coughing. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Valmont

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 04:29:17 pm »
And if some nosy idiot insists on asking - tell them it's your TB meds and start violently coughing. ;D

I like this jajaja...

I take the generic of Atripla for 2 months now without any problem, I take it before sleeping, sometimes just after dinner (because of time) and havenīt noticed any change.  I feel quite dizzy on the morning, but nothing really important...  Anyway, any one has different reactions to medecine so it is difficult to make generalities, but many people tolerate very well Atripla.  I noticed I was starting gaining weight what is good for me ; Iīm waiting for my VL results but if it comes back as down as I expect it (and no reason this wonīt happen), it is just a great drug in regard to this virus...  Basically, it has greatly improved my quality of life (I feel less tired and worried...)

About Eviplera, I cannot tell you anything, no idea...
Apr 2011: Diagnotized
Jun 2011: CD4: 504  VL: 176.000
Dic 2011: CD4: 714  VL: 95.000
May 2012: CD4: 395 VL: 67.000
Jun 2012: CD4: 367
Agu 2012: Starting Emtricitabine 200 mg / Tenofovir 300 mg and Efavirenz 600 mg (2 pills) different brands or VIRADAY/ATRIPLA/Mylan....
Sep 2012: VL: 138
Dic 2012: CD4: 708 VL: <34  %CD4: 32%
Jan 2013: CD4: 707 VL: <20
May 2013: CD4: 945 VL: <34 %CD4: 33%
Agu 2013: CD4: 636 VL: <34 %CD4: 50%
Dic 2013: Latent TB, started Isoniazid

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 09:05:13 am »
I don't know about you but if i have a choice I will go with Complera but I don't. I was on Atripla for about 5 months before I have to switch due to side effect. The 5 months I was on Atripla was hell, I had depression, sleep problem, cognitive problem( I could not think at all I brain is kind of blur the whole time). Well it was effective VL get to UD from 80000 in 3 months.

New research also shows that Atripla might cause brain damage, so you might want to avoid it.
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.