Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:25:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Can Ecstasy delay seroconversion?  (Read 5614 times)

Offline constant worrys

Can Ecstasy delay seroconversion?
« on: January 05, 2007, 11:20:36 am »
Hi, I have a question regarding taking Ecstasy during window period. I took one Ecstasy at a party after 15 days I had an unsafe incident. Tested negative at 9 weeks. But on that test day night, I took another Ecstasy. Then I tested negative at 90 days mark. But lately I read an article: http://www.thebody.com/catie/ecstasy.html that says:

Results: A Single Dose
The researchers found that a single dose of ecstasy (100mg) taken by mouth caused a dramatic fall in the level of immune system cells called T cells, which are needed to help fight infections. The number of a specific group of T cells, called CD4+ cells, decreased by about 30% within hours after a single dose of ecstasy. Fortunately, within a day after taking this dose, CD4+ cell levels returned to normal.

Does it mean Ecstasy can delay seroconversion? I heard impaired immune system can delay that. So if a big T cell drop like this means immune system is impaired? Does it mean the immune system is not good enough to generate enough antibody for test during window period?

I'm thinking to have kids soon..should I retest? your expertise is deeply appreciated. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Can Ecstasy delay seroconversion?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 12:18:44 pm »
Constant, you're mixing two issues together. The article raises the matter of ecstacy as possibly lowering the effectiveness of the immune system.

That has nothing to do with HIV testing. Your negative test result at 90 days is reliable.

The real red flag to me in what you've written is that you have had unsafe recently. You need to know that everytime you do that you are putting your life at risk. It's as stark and as simple as that. You can have all the sex you want and with whomever you choose. Condoms provide very effective protection. As long as one is used everytime you don't have to be concerned about HIV.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire, so if you are sexually active it's a good idea to get a full STD panel done at least annually, and every six months is even better.

This time out you don't have to be concerned about HIV.

Andy Velez

Offline constant worrys

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 12:38:19 pm »
Thanks Andy,

My concern is why people at this forum say impaired immune system can delay seroconversion? With my reading, a man with normal immune system if infected will generate antibody to fight the infection, it seems to me that impaired immune system cannot generate antibody that is what test all about. To be honest, I don't think ecstasy will delay it myself..but I just want to hear it from the expert.

And thanks very much for the safe sex warning. The incident is actually about a year ago. I still cannot believe it ever happened. My guilty has killed me many times over. 

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 01:10:18 pm »
You are talking about the severe immunosuppression--I'll use a cancer patient on chemo for example--where the body loses the antibody response--so tests that detect antibodies--when you do a blood type, it doesn't correlate, the tests for HIV, etc wouldn't really work.  Granulocytes, B-cells, T-cells, etc all the components that go into fighting infection and antibody production are all wiped out due to the treatment.

A little drop in CD4 cells does not give you an impaired immune system.  It's much more complicated than that.  You still will be able to produce antibodies like normal.  The body can handle a dip in CD4 cells.  Ecstasy is not going to severely deplete your immune system to a point where you cannot produce antibodies or "turn on" antibodies.  At most, you may not fight off a cold as effectively, but it is not the same matter as not being able to produce antibodies.  You'd have to have much more going on to have that happen--not just take a little ecstasy.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline constant worrys

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 02:16:33 pm »
Thanks Coffee..

What you think, RapidRod..Since you said before impaired immune system can delay seroconversion...

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 03:00:14 pm »
E, will not delay your test results. But you could take E, puke and suffocate.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:35:42 pm »
Thanks Coffee..

What you think, RapidRod..Since you said before impaired immune system can delay seroconversion...
I probably didn't explain myself totally.  Basically, it takes a severely impaired immune system before antibody production diminishes.  You would not be healthy enough to go to parties and take drugs.  This is a whole different issue than a T-cell drop, which would not cause a delay in seroconversion. 

You do not have to worry about delayed seroconversion from a hit of ecstasy.  Besides what Rod stated, ecstasy and other drugs can make you more likely to partake in risky sex since while high you tend to not care about putting on a condom, who you have sex with and how many--that is one reason why things like ecstasy and meth are bad news.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline constant worrys

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 07:30:40 pm »
Hi Coffee, thank you so very much..you explained it very well..just myself, that inner me still struggle with guilties...with your help, I can make the peace with it...thank you all..

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 07:25:02 am »
Oh, I was just worried because sometimes my mind moves faster than I type and I end up typing confusing things.  I wish you luck on getting inner peace.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.