Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:11:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 675
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POZ's new editor on Good Morning America  (Read 7007 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
POZ's new editor on Good Morning America
« on: June 05, 2006, 04:31:17 pm »

Regan Hofmann was interviewed by Diane Sawyer this morning.  See it at:

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/AIDS/story?id=2040438&page=1

Feel free to comment on it in this thread.  I'll make sure Regan sees your comments.

Offline scotslassie

Re: POZ's new editor on Good Morning America
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2006, 04:46:18 pm »
You know watching it made me feel very humble. Here is a gorgeous women, speaking out about a disease which most of the world probably think couldnt happen to her. And she is saying look, two episodes of unprotected sex is all it takes.

Not only is she informative, but very friendly and warm with it. NOt a lot of people who speak about the disease can do this but she manages it with ease

I wish there were more women around like her to stand up and be counted - I mean there are almost as many women as men infected- Its time, in the 21st century, that we realised this is about a worldwide, non discriminatory disease

If she reads this, Regan I wish you all the best in your life and trying to conceive- god bless you x

Offline Sdgirl

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 06:50:14 pm »
i spoke with Regan via email this morning and she said that after the interview Diane Sawyer was crying and telling her that she wants to get more involved...............WOO HOO!   ;D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:52:15 pm by Sdgirl »
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.  Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.  It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us.  We ask ourselves.."Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?  Actually, who are you not to be?"

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 08:39:09 am »
WOO HOO  I love video messages :)  I've said it before but she is a beautiful woman!  Peter thanks for posting the link

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:02:57 am »
For some reason, I couldn't see it on my home computer, I had to wait until I got to work this morning.    It was a great interview!

Regan, thank you for putting yourself out there, and for bravely putting forth the 'new face' of AIDS.

Also, happy birthday to you this month!   I hope you have many many more.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:08:35 am »
She was a bit nervous (duh!), but she gets more beautiful every time I see her.

Offline Trish

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:53:05 am »
Regan,

KUDOS!!  More power to you... thanks for having the courage to stand up and speak out.  You're move to do so will empower other women to "come out" and spread the word that "HIV/AIDS does not and will not discriminate."  Everyone is at risk...

I believe that the more we tell our stories, the more the world will come to see that HIV is a virus and we are not immune from it.  I believe that our stories will help others understand, to a degree, that we are just human beings living in world that is misguided when it comes to HIV.  We need to tell it "like it is."  And the more we hide, the more HIV-neg folks think we have something to hide.  The stigma of HIV/AIDS has done more damage to me than anything else.  I can deal with side effects of meds, and have come to terms with HIV and not allow it to control me anymore.  I can deal with taking meds for the rest of my life... What I cannot deal with any longer, is the discrimination and stigma of society, as well as the stigma I carried inside me for many, many years.  I refuse to allow myself & HIV keep me from voicing myself and reaching out.  I want to make a difference, just like you do and I'm honored and proud to stand beside you and bring HIV to front page of the media.

ROCK ON REGAN!!!  YOU GO GIRL!

In respect & solidarity,

Trish :)

PS - I must admit, I'm a bit jealous that you got to meet Diane Sawyer.  Maybe one day I will too.  That's right, that's my goal... to be on TV. ;) :D tehehe (maybe?)  I'm a ham!
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 12:07:59 pm »
Although it doesn't work too well with dial-up, it was a good interview and I thought Regan came across very well. I hope many people in Middle America saw it.

Good Work!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 08:56:25 pm »
I would have loved to have seen this show.  I have AIDS (10 year anniversary this month), live on a disability income.  I can not afford $13.95 per month for basic cable service.  The costs to maintain and market www.Commission-on-AIDS.org comes directly from my personal wealth of $921.00 per month as the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS, the Center for HIV Prevention and Care, Russian River Health Centers, Face-to-Face, Food for Thought, Sonoma Counties AIDS Food Bank and all other non-profits organizations are concerned about the potential loss of the funding to treat and care for approximately 1800- 2400 persons living with HIV/AIDS in our county.  www.sonoma-county.org/health/ph/hiv/data.htm 

These aforementioned organizations can not publically support my site as their major source of funding comes from the federal government.  When I put up flyers in clinics or ASO's, they are immediately taken down to avoid any conflict with funding.  A mention in POZ Magazine would put the RWCA reauthorization in the waiting room of every clinic and ASO in the United States.  Would this be a direct benefit to the 1.1 million persons currently living with HIV/AIDS and the 40,000 new infections each year in the United States?  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 09:16:06 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 02:08:49 am »
Peter,

First of all, I wish to thank you and everyone involved in the creation of AidsMeds.com for changing my life FOREVER.

Little did I know, when I first signed up in September 2005, that I would be making a decision to make a PUBLIC DISCLOSURE to my local, rural newspaper, as I did this day June 6, 2006.

Thanks to the discovery of my 'community' here on the Forums, I broke my BURDEN OF SILENCE after 13 years, 11 months, and 7 days.

If you would be so kind, please let Regan know that the journalist asked to borrow my copy of 'Regan's Issue' of POZ magazine. This, after I related the story of how watching a video of a Channel 7 (New York?) evening news segment with Regan (linked by Dingo on the forums)
literally 'pushed me off' the fence.

You might also want to relate to her that I've done this despite 'warnings' from local friends that I should expect to be 'shunned'.

Ah, yes, folks, the 49er's of the 1849 Gold Rush are alive and well here in 'redneck' town, but I stand tall, proud and unafraid.

Honesty, courage, bravery, self-empowerment and strength of character is what I see in these HIV+ women I call my 'sisters'. We are gathering energy from each other, close and far.

In Admiration, and gratitude,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline Broken_Angel

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 08:15:24 pm »
Regan,
     Your courage and strength in doing the interview is so great!  ;D I am so glad you put it out there.   8)Strange ::), I just wrote POZ (online) about myself.  Our stories are similar, ::) and the belief that "we as women" need to start coming out and shaking some people into reality.  Hopefully, people WILL start to open their eyes.  ;)  So, BRAVO!!  ~Standing Ovation~ :D
Broken_Angel

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.