Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 317
Total: 318

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I actually LIKE Wal-Mart  (Read 7137 times)

Offline Basquo

I actually LIKE Wal-Mart
« on: February 04, 2007, 11:20:44 am »
except for their produce section...ugh!

Some of you know that I'm not on HAART, but I do have to take three other meds daily. One of them is $50/month at a pharmacy, so for several years I've been getting it through my insurance's mail-order at $60/3 month's supply.  Last fall I found out that I can get that same good deal at the Wal-Mart pharmacy.  I had run out, and the mail-order was late, so I had to buy 3 pills at retail and it was $27--yikes!  So now I pick it up at Wal-Mart, and I don't have to worry about the shipment being late, or even put in the wrong mailbox by some tardo mailman (which has happened.)

And while I'm there I can pick up a few groceries, maybe some clothes, or a doormat, light bulbs, paint, greeting cards or whatever. I do use another grocery store for most of my food and wine, though. And DEFINITELY for produce! The only thing I could find in WM's produce was a bag of Newman's mixed greens.  Everything else looked like caca-doodoo.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: I actually LIKE Wal-Mart
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 01:14:18 pm »

And I still blame bush!

« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 01:22:49 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 01:26:20 pm »

The Wal-Mart debate is truly something that can raise a lot of ire from both side of the social responsibility aisle. I do not shop at Wal-Mart (because there isn't one in or near Washington, D.C.), but my brother is in medical school in Oklahoma and says it's the only thing available in most areas.

The anti-WM troopers do have valid concerns - health care, wages, discrimination for employees. And the pro-WM troopers also have valid concerns - cost savings, availability, and choice. My biggest problem with the anti-Wal-Mart movement is that it discounts the benefits that the company does bring - jobs, access to generics, improves rundown areas, etc. I think that is why the "South Park" spoof of Wal-Mart was so funny. Everyone though the town hated it for the bad things it did, but they all kept shopping there even after they burned it down and it was rebuilt.

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 02:04:48 pm »
I hate to admit I shop at Walmart often because they and PetsMart have the lowest prices on cat and dog food and supplies.  I could never afford standard grocery store prices.   I also buy bulk items like paper towels or toilet tissue at Walmart for the same reason.  And, believe it or not, Walmart has one of the best New York Extra Sharp cheddar cheeses, without which I'd get no protein (and a lot of fat...).  Their produce varies between good, OK, and awful but I can usually find at least a salad in a bag or romaine hearts that aren't so wilted they're melting on the bottom of the bag.  I bought uncooked meat there once and it tasted so weird I've never bought any more.  I often buy pre-cooked turkey breasts for sammiches because I'm too lazy to go to a SaveACenter or Winn-Dixie to buy decent meat.

I also find Walmart a fascinating sociological phenomenon.  I see people in Walmart I never see anywhere else.  Eavesdropping on moronic cell phone conversations has added a new dimension in the last few years as well. 

What I really hate about WalMart is its placement in more rural areas where it wipes out all smaller competitive businesses.  At least in New Orleans there is still a choice (even if it is someplace as reprehensible as Home Depot, another kind of WalMart).  There are still lots of small family run grocery stores that are overpriced in comparison but convenient, especially for the many people who don't have cars in the city. 

I can't say I like WalMart and wish I didn't feel financially pressured to shop there but when you get only so much money a month (and you're insane enough to have 12 cats and 4 dogs) every penny counts.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 02:38:50 pm »
geez!  I hesitate to hear how much your pet food bill runs.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 04:45:30 pm »
I don't shop at WalMart because I am a food snob.  I will not eat crap and all they have in the produce section is crap.  I prefer meat to come from a butcher.  It's usually the same price if not cheaper than a grocery store.  And as far as other things go, I don't really need to buy stuff that comes in a box.

As far as sundries go... well, who cares where you buy your plastic penthouse barbie or tube socks.  I tend to want to patronize small businesses and still gravititate toward them.  This is not an easy thing to do in the strip mall that makes up suburban detroit... but i am up for the challenge.

And, I get my generics from Rite Aid.

Also, for those of you in the distribution business, (yes yes, probably none of you, but I teach supply chain management) WalMart is what we like to call the "profit free customer".  They don't pay their bills on time, they brow beat their suppliers, and they are extremely cocky and difficult to work with.  I personally put them on credit hold one time and refused to give them a shipment.  They told me I couldn't do that because they are WalMart.  I said "I just did".  The guy told me that he would go to my competition instead.  Then I said, "fine, you can drive them out of business, see if I care."  We lost their 400K contract.  Our bottom line went up by 15% in two months.  Less revenue, more profit.   Who knew. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 05:20:34 pm »
You either love it or hate it.

This past December our Church minister entered into a national debate regarding wal-mart by appearing in an ad sponsored by WakeupWal-mart.com.
You can check it out here: 

http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/video/wouldjesus.html 

The angry response came from all across the nation.  And while I agree with the premise of the ad, the fact is many people have no choice.  I am originally from a small town and my mom really has no where else to shop.  My sister is going through a divorce where she assumed all the debt they had accumulated (another story) and is raising 2 kids.  She has to shop at Wal-mart to save money.  I do think the ad would have been better received had Jesus been left out and more made of the money the Walton family has made on the backs of its employees.

Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 05:30:45 pm »
You either love it or hate it.
Hate it!
The Walmarts at least around us are always a mess! Produce and meats are less than desireable.
We are a Target house for general merchandise and Meijers for groceries. For meats and produce  we do Kroger. We also belong to Sam's Club and Costco's for bulk,meats and dog food.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 06:14:13 pm »
Our Wallmart actually has some of the better produce than the other stores around here.  I like Wallmart--they were a godsend when I was a poor college student.  Now I buy certain items to save money, but splurge on other items (ie meat--I don't do Wallmart meat).  And unlike the small mom and pop stores, they aren't overpriced and actually have what I need. I also can't fault them for letting the seniors get paid for jobs that really have no purpose (the greeters), but it lets them get out and see people and make a little extra.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Teresa

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 06:17:16 pm »
I shop at both Walmart and Sams Club. The Walmart I shop at is always clean. I buy most of my groceries at Dillons.

Isnt Sams Club owned by Walmart?

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:18 pm »

I usually shop at Meijer also and they have everything I need and I do get my scripts from there also.

The important aspect regarding the sucess of Wal*Mart is the business model developed by Sam Walton.  He was able to eliminate several of the middle-men involved in the retail process and pass the savings on to the consumer.  He accomplished this by doing away with the old paradigm of having several distributors between the manufacturer and the retail outlet (at each point the product would be marked-up).

I believe the intentions of Wal*Mart are good based on the mission and vision established by Sam Walton.  In the end, the objective of any business is to increase shareholder value and to give back to the local communities.
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »
Wal-Mart is our biggest competitor...I work at Meijer, been there for 16 years now. It's a Super center located in 5 states here in the Midwest.  Being from Michigan, working for a company that has a union is most desireable.  The thing I don't like about Wal-Mart is they seem to always put the small Mom & Pop stores right out of business.  We buy most of our meats from a local meat market and I also like to shop at Target. Most of my business is done at Meijer though.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2007, 07:09:04 pm »
I don't buy groceries at stores where you can also purchase underwear.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Razorbill

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2007, 07:17:35 pm »
When their employees manage to unionize, I'll shop them - at least then I could have some expectation that their treating people like humans and giving them healthcare.

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2007, 07:41:02 pm »
We have plenty of Wal-Marts in Puerto Rico. I live close to two of them and they aren't that bad. The food area is not that big or bad in either, but I buy only only bread and cat food. I usually go for holiday decorations, patio accessories,  and the occasional summer clothing like cargo shorts and caps. They have the nicest and cheapest picture frames I have seen and even their music section has better prices than other stores like Kmart, Sears, JCPenny and many more. With low wages these days, stores like this really help us stretch our dollars.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2007, 07:54:41 pm »

I had a good laugh with the "South Park " Take on Walmart  ;D

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2007, 08:05:43 pm »

I usually shop at Meijer also and they have everything I need and I do get my scripts from there also.

The important aspect regarding the sucess of Wal*Mart is the business model developed by Sam Walton.  He was able to eliminate several of the middle-men involved in the retail process and pass the savings on to the consumer.  He accomplished this by doing away with the old paradigm of having several distributors between the manufacturer and the retail outlet (at each point the product would be marked-up).

I believe the intentions of Wal*Mart are good based on the mission and vision established by Sam Walton.  In the end, the objective of any business is to increase shareholder value and to give back to the local communities.

Wal-Mart is the largest corporation in the world. It has the power and influence to set a standard for fair workplace practices. Instead, Wal-Mart engages in systematic abuses of workers:

low wages
 few benefits
 discrimination
 failure to pay employees for hours worked
 anti-union behavior
 use of sweatshops
 abuse of immigrants

Sam is dead.  His successors seem to be determined to make a profit at any cost.  At some point, Wal-Mart will either drive out its competitors from the business or force its competitors to level the playing ground by engaging in the same inhumane treatment of humans.  Its just not a business model I want to support with my purchasing power.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2007, 08:45:55 pm »
Those that work at WalMart know what they will be compensated for. They know their starting wage and they know their benefits. So who's fault is it if they take a job at that price and those benefits? No body but their own. Would you pay an employee 12 dollars an hour, when you can get one for 6.75 an hour to do the same work?

Offline marco23

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2007, 08:49:02 pm »
WALMART RULES THE WORLD!!....and for those who don't shop there... "I, AM YOUR FATHER!"
Don't hide your hurt, pain and feelings inside..for they will harden your heart.

Offline fondeveau

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2007, 09:03:59 pm »
Yes, I would and I do.  My minimum wage that I pay is $10.00 per hour.  The workday starts at 9 and ends at 4 - Monday through Thursday.  Why?  Because I believe in doing unto others... and I believe that everyone is entitled to a living wage,  not simply what the market will bear or the minimum compensation allowable as determined by a legislature so far out of touch as not to realize that $6.95 is simply a long way from catching up with inflation.  In real dollars, the buying power of the worker has decreased.  

The workday is shorter so that people can spend time with their familes, cook a meal, eat it at leisure, and still have time for quality time before bed.  The workweek is shorter, so that everyone gets a chance to unwind.  Now, before you complain that $10 x 28 hours is the same as $6.95 at 40 hours, I can let you know that the people who work for me are happy to take advantage me this way.

The workers at Wal-Mart are not told that the doors are going to be locked so that they can work an extra hour off the clock.  Further, the lack of benefits and low wages paid by Wal-Mart simply shifts the cost from Wal-Mart to the public welfare system in the form of foodstamps and Medicaid.  Quite literally, even those who don't shop at Wal-Mart are subsidizing Wal-Mart's shareholder's profits and dividends.

http://www.livingwagecampaign.org/

To find justice, do justice.  

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 09:13:29 pm »
I'm a Meijer girl.
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2007, 09:31:02 pm »
I don't like shopping at Mal-Wart. Actually the regular one near my home is not too bad but the Super Wal-Mart is retail hell. It is dirty, crowded and loud. I don't care for their politics either but the bottom line is being there puts me in a bad mood and that more than negates any possible savings. We have a brand new Target near my house and it is much more pleasant.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2007, 09:35:53 pm »
My mother says it's a State Law that you must beat your children when you go to Wal-Mart.

Offline randym431

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2007, 02:29:42 am »
Hey, where else are you going to get a $9 pair of shoes at 3am?  ;D

A good friend works there. Hates it, but its a job that he could get.
Now, to call in sick he has to call an 1-800 number, put in his store # and reason, get an ref # back, then is transferred to his store to tell them. Only problem, the phone system craps out before giving the ref # he needs, transfers him to his store with no ref #. And naturally, they wont accept his paid illness without this ref #. Its a nightmare procedure.

Rumor has it (from him) they are doing away with the fabrics dept and clothing dept in 2007.
Also, Iowa just passed a min wage increase. A walmart exec meeting with his walmart staff stated "Walmart doesn’t recognize forced wage increases, period".
And he also was told walmart plans to start a policy to "weed" out long-timers to cut wage costs. Laying off anyone with over 6 years, and replacing them with newbe's at a much lower wage. He said they all left the meeting with their mouths dropped open. It was like they declared war on their employees, as their reward for good service.
I told him to try to get on at Target. Their uniforms would look better on him anyway...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 02:32:08 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2007, 10:25:36 am »
I haven't stepped foot in a Walmart for my own shopping in over 10 years.  I have always taken care of my discount needs at Target.  I firmly believe in supporting local businesses and for me, that includes big box retailers like Target and Best Buy (Minneapolis companies). 

Just remember for every dollar of profit in a corporation, 90 cents goes back to the home state's economy.  Heck, that's reason enough for me to pick and choose where I spend my money and keep track of where businesses are based. 

Offline allanq

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2007, 01:31:45 pm »
A few months ago PBS had a program about Walmart and how it squeezes suppliers to make products at unreasonably low costs. Many of the suppliers are in Asian countries. This pressure by Walmart fosters inhumane working conditions. When I see an article of clothing made in Bangladesh or some other third-world country, I think about workers working 12 or 14 hours a day under sweatshop conditions, and I lose my appetite for making the purchase.

Years ago, there used to be a slogan "Look for the Union Label" to encourage people to buy clothing made by union workers in the USA. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to find clothing that isn't produced in Asian or Latin American sweatshops. Designer jeans that go for $100 or more are made in the same sweatshops as Walmart jeans, so paying more money doesn't guarantee that the workers are paid a living wage.

Allan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.