Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:28:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 191
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: How do I go about changing my dosing time?  (Read 3576 times)

Offline jaguarpaw

• Livin' a positively good life!!
How do I go about changing my dosing time?
« on: August 20, 2010, 02:53:17 pm »
Hello.

I take Isentress/RAL + Truvada twice daily.

AM Dose 8:30am- RAL + TVD, then PM Dose 8:30pm- RAL.

I'd have to change my work/school/life schedule lately and I'd like to move my my dosing time to 11am/pm

But I dont want to take it late and go those three hours without meds.

Any thoughts?
Poz Dx 08/09

CD4/%     VL
08/09   407(30) 280,000 acute infx suspect'd
11/09   520(31)   44,000
05/10   450(30)   78,000 meds considered
06/10   *Begun ARVs - Isentress + Truvada* 
07/10   550(31)       49- 1 copy away from UD!
10/10   668(32)    <48 UD
01/11   608(34)    <48 UD
04/11   670(36)    <20 UD
07/11   711(38)    <20 UD
11/11 1005(45)    <20 UD

Offline Dachshund

Re: How do I go about changing my dosing time?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 02:56:50 pm »
Ask your doc.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 03:28:55 pm »
I'm on the same combo and I was traveling a few months ago to a place with a 4 hour time difference. I asked Dr. Gallant and he said it's fine to just take it at the new time. A 3 or 4 or even 5-hour difference is not going to affect treatment.

This applies especially if you are already undetectable. I would be more exact if there is still a viral load.

When I first started on meds I was very exact about the time but now I take them within a 3-hour window of about 8 to 11.

If it makes you feel better you can also space it out slowly. Take it at 9, then the next day at 10 and the next at 11 but it's not really necessary especially if you are undetectable.

Here is a similar Q&A from Gallant:

http://www.hopkins-aids.edu/q_a/patient/antiretroviral_therapy/antiretroviral_agents/integrase_inhibitors/re__isentress_dosing_intervals.html?contentInstanceId=530370

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »
I have also had to change of pill times due to travelling and work.

As per my doctor's advise when you have to move to take pills later than you did before the best is doing it slowly, advancing one hour (or less if possible) each day, untill you get the new hour you are going to take them. For instance, if now you take your pills at 8:00 and need to take them at 12:00 try to advance 1 hour each day: at 9:00 first day, at 10:00 second day, at 11:00 third day and then at 12:00.

Another possibility, if you need to change from early in the morning to before going to sleep is going back instead of forwards. If now you are taking pills at 8:30, let's say, and you need to change to 22:00 hrs, you can do this: first day of change at 5:00, second day at 1:30, third day at 22:00. In this way, "going back" you ensure there's always enough med concentration in your bloodstream.

Following from the point before, if you have to take them earlier than now, then you can also go back. For instance, if you used to take your pills before at 13:00 and now you need to do it at 7:00, you can go back 2 hours each day: 11:00 first day, 9:00 second day  and finaly 7:00.

Nevertheless, try these changes not to be frecquent, as you may risk to loose a bit the sense of discipline  and the timely habits you reached until now; as, once you start making changes you my relativize or even not be so sure of the right hour to take your pills (or have the sensation this was not so important once the "tabu" is broken).

As a norm, my doctor says the "safety window" is no more than 4 hours for once a day meds, and no more than 2 hours for twice a day meds, over these intervals, there are risks of viral resistance if loosing or taking doses on retard episodes repeats more than 2 times in a month.

This can be even worst depending on meds you are taking. NNRTIs give you a bit more of margin, but PIs and NRTIs do not. Mind also your previous resistance historial (if any) and whether your infection is more or less controlled (VL undetectable, CD4 stable or increasing) or not (VL detectable and low CD4). All this can make even more important to be as regular as possible in time scheduling your pills.

Hugs :-)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 06:11:09 pm »
Seriously people...

If your viral load is supressed eg below 50 copies then stopping drugs will give 2-5 days before viral replication gets going.

Therefore, as a one off, or occasional off eg a holiday, just change.

A few hours difference on one occasion won't make diddly squit difference. The virus will still be asleep.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline joeyg624

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:51:32 am »
i used to take my viraday just before heading to bed... but it caused me so much insomnia i had to move my dosing time... when i asked my doctor, she told me to take my next dose to about 3pm of that day, and then the one after that at 11 am the following day... so as long as you don't go significantly more than 24 hours in between doses, you should be fine
Apr 10 CD4 60 VL 256,000
May 10 CD4 130 VL 724
Aug 10 CD4 188  VL <75
Nov 10 CD4 170  VL <75
Mar 11 CD4 272 VL <48
Aug 11 CD4 272 VL <20
Nov 11 CD4 267 VL <20
Mar 12 CD4 297 VL <20
Nov 12 CD4 312 VL <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.