Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:57:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 221
Total: 222

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ferguson MO  (Read 23974 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Ferguson MO
« on: August 13, 2014, 09:50:38 pm »
WTF is happening there.

Why did a cop kill Michael Brown? And so gruesomely?

Why haven't the police interviewed Dorian Johnson, the eyewitness also involved!?

What do you guys think now that we see that police forces look -- and seemed armed and trained -- completely like combat troops?  Is Ferguson a war zone - I think not...

Why is this being handled so spectacularly clumsily by the St. Louis police and any government officials implicated, who should have been out there with professional community outreach PR communication pros making peace and amends pretty quickly, no?  Instead they are doing a great job fuelling the outrage and tension!

(And on a minor note, it kills me that Rachel Maddow has to interview and respect Al Sharpton on location there. He's forever on my no respect list, since his shenanigans with Tawana Brawley, which I believed was fabricated and Sharpton stewed that into one huge stink pot for his own gains.. Maybe even towards some good.  But really, can't criminally wronged families find better advocates then this charlatan?)

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

Re: Ferguson MO
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »
Not to say the mob vandalism and looting a few days ago wasn't scary but wasn't there  a way to defuse that before it started?  I suppose hindsight isn't worth much.
Still its chilling to see the tanks and camo clothed troops in yesterday and todays reports.... And they are shooting (rubber) and the tear gas and it all seems so wrong-headed...
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:40 pm »
Hey fantastic links, thanks.

I think this editorial makes crucial points:

http://www.theroot.com/articles/culture/2014/08/michael_brown_and_our_obsession_with_respectable_black_victims.html

Black Kids Don’t Have to Be College-Bound for Their Deaths to Be Tragic

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:16:05 pm »
This is good:  (bold emphasis added by me)
_____
https://medium.com/@mcbyrne/failing-in-ferguson-how-the-police-are-doing-everything-wrong-and-why-its-dangerous-for-everyone-82e21325f622

How the Ferguson Police are failing at the most important moment in their history:

Shooting and killing an unarmed young black man, Mike Brown. No explanation needed.

Sending in the dogs. On the evening of the murder of Mike Brown, the police responded to the first wave of community anger and protest with German Shepherds. First, for historical reasons it is wrong for white police officers to show up in a predominately black community with attack dogs at a protest. Secondly, over policing creates an environment where anger accelerates.

Dressing up in Riot Gear. You don’t wear your party shoes if you don’t want to dance. When the police dress up in their riot gear and plastic shields, they are sending the message that they are ready to fight the crowd. They are saying that they are protected and that they are willing to inflict harm on the demonstrators. This causes the demonstrators to up their anger level and it creates a cycle of escalation. It’s also is a slap in the face to the first amendment.

Pointing Assault Weapons and Batons at Protesters: Guns/Batons are scary and lead to people dying. When police carry rifles to a protest, it tells the demonstrators that they are ready to kill you. Guns put peaceful protesters on edge and they cause people to overreact— chanting can become shouting, and marching can become running.

Bringing in Military Vehicles: Again, the heavier the tools, the worse the response from a crowd out of fear and anger. An angry crowd in the US should never be treated like a war zone.

Tear Gas: Tear gas should rarely, if at all be used on a crowd. First of all, folks with asthma can die from tear gas and since Ferguson is a poorer community, there is likely to be high asthma rates. Folks can also die or be critically injured if they are hit with a tear gas canister. The police made a decision to escalate the situation in Ferguson and every tear gas canister they deploy is another escalation.

Telling Journalists to Go Home: The first amendment isn't pick and choose. Journalists have a right to observe and really an obligation to report. Again, banning journalists escalates a situation.

UPDATED:

ARRESTING JOURNALISTS: Again, no explanation needed. You don’t arrest journalists.

Telling the Community not to Protest at Night: The first amendment doesn't end at sundown.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 11:26:45 pm »
http://www.theroot.com/articles/politics/2014/08/ferguson_what_are_black_politicians_doing.html?wpisrc=topstories

Black politicians have to wear kid gloves and pronounce and move gingerly because:

Being too strong on police brutality fuels Republican narratives of a “war on whites.”

Offline mecch

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2014, 06:02:55 pm »
This article was interesting, about how the media handles black and white alleged perpetrators. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/14/media-black-victims_n_5673291.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000010

I have many conservative friends.  On FB, they don't always have to post something directly, in order for you to get posts.  They may "like" the post or comment on it, and it will tell you so and so commented or liked.  So, I often see these posts from this conservative site.  Of course, they always claim they're tired of all the "race cards" being played.  But, you just have to look at the comments.  And, the photo they chose to use.  They could have used another photo of Trayvon, but they wanted to use this one.  I guess flipping off the camera means you are some "thug" and are trouble.  The person commenting that "you don't see whites protesting" is very telling. 

What world is someone living in, when they roll their eyes at people saying there still are huge differences in how whites and blacks are treated by police and in society and they will mock the president and others for discussing it.  All the while, they show their bias and racist views, while commenting how it is all just liberals stirring the pot and making race an issue, where it doesn't exist. 

Posting it once was not good enough, so they posted again.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »
Just flat out racism and the media loves to instigate it cause "it sells".

Offline initforlife

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »
This is sad no matter  which way you look at it.  The kid robbed a store he got shot to many times?  Who knows till all the truth comes out. I hate it that in 2014 a race card is still being played.  They put a curfew out in Ferguson. will this fuel more anger or will it calm some down?  Only time will tell.
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 06:52:23 pm »
The kid robbed a store he got shot to many times?
no. the kid was shot for "blocking traffic" by walking down the middle of the street and refusing to submit to the police. The Police Chief explained that the policeman who killed this kid did not know of the cigar shoplifting incident. the shoplifting video and information was released to insinuate that the kid "got what he deserved". Although the last time I checked, shoplifting was not a capital offense. :(

http://online.wsj.com/articles/police-name-darren-wilson-as-officer-in-ferguson-missouri-michael-brown-shooting-1408108371
Chief Thomas Jackson also released documents and surveillance video, alleging that Mr. Brown was tied to a robbery at a convenience store shortly before he crossed paths with police. Hours later, Mr. Jackson held another news conference in which he said Mr. Wilson, who is white, wasn't aware of the robbery when he stopped Mr. Brown.
Mr. Jackson said the officer stopped Mr. Brown because he was walking in the road and disrupting traffic.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 06:53:53 pm »
Racism is alive and well.  :'(
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline initforlife

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2014, 07:02:02 pm »
You are right about him not knowing he had robbed the store. I'm not taking sides here I just find it is sad that in 2014 that race is still an issue.  I just hope the whole truth comes out and people calm down. someone I love very much lives not far from the area so I worry about her daily.
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline zach

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2014, 09:14:53 pm »
following is a diatribe to a white friend of mine, she is the stereotype of privilege. all i know is, i should not be there. me and riots.  ;D >:( ;D better than sex. i really don't even need to talk about this anymore.

He may make a good point regarding a cultural change in the African American community, but that change will never come in the face of blatant injustice.
Remember the Bundy ranch "protests" in Nevada? Laws clearly broken. Armed white ranchers, aiming firearms at federal agents. Demanding to graze private cattle on public lands without paying fees. Police stood down to avoid escalating the situation.
Sheriff Joe Lombardo "they were in my face yelling profanities and pointing weapons," and said, "We were outgunned, outmanned, and there would not have been a good result from it."
Are we to believe that if protesters in MO were armed (as many were at the Bundy ranch), that the police would have a more measured response? The bigger issue is the message these two pictures send to anyone with a grievance against their Government. Bring a gun.
You can dismiss this intentionally menacing armed behavior as of no consequence, but you would be wrong in that assessment. If I walked down the street threatening cops and pointing guns at them as the Bundy crowd did, I would not be surprised by the response. Brown was simply walking down the street.
Compare and contrast to protests against the killing of an unarmed citizen who in the officers knowledge was only jaywalking. When you militarize the police, they go to war against citizens. MRAP's, LRAD's, rubber bullets, dogs, tear gas. And blocking, firing on, and arresting the media was an egregious 1st amendment violation. How do they justify the difference in ROE? How do they justify that level of force?
Lets keep in mind there has been one death, and which "side" that was on. Of course the situation has escalated violently beyond reason. People are sick of getting shot to death for little to no reason. That cop only knew Brown was walking down the middle of the street, he had no other information at the time. He killed a citizen for failure to comply, and for disrespecting him.
When the jack boot is on your neck, you won't care what color it is, or if its the right boot or the left boot. Human nature is to fight to get that boot off your neck so you can breathe. We see riots after sporting events, police don't respond with this level of force then. Why now?
We have a proud tradition of protesting our Government, a tradition that is protected by the Constitution of the United States. Jefferson said that the Tree of Liberty must from time to time be watered with the blood of tyrants. Free citizens will not be treated this way by our own government.

Offline mecch

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2014, 10:23:36 pm »
Sad all around.
The local white police force reacting so horribly.
The family going on to the press about how Brown was a "gentle giant" and on the right path to the American dream. (I googled his so-called "college" he was about to enter - a piece of crap chain of technical for-profit shit holes - poor young man was about to be FLEECED!  And if that's him in the video throwing his weight around, he was far from a a gentle giant.)
The local police doing this character assassination and still NO release of the shooting officer's report.
The witness Dorian Johnson failing to mention in his national TV interviews, that his buddy, just mowed down in cold blood, had also just robbed a store.... But telling his lawyer.
The people so frustrated they looted shops, now twice... The other people in the community so aghast they are defending shops against looters.
The half black US president not daring to mention race in his TV remarks from the vineyard.
The slow response of the state and federal government...
The entire thing is a major rat fuck.

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »
On the optimist side of things, the head of the state troopers I saw on some video reports, sent in to take over, seems like a real class act and smart cookie.
Ron Johnson 
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/16/us/trooper-ronald-s-johnson-listens-to-and-connects-with-a-ferguson-torn-by-violent-unrest.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:35:52 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2014, 07:24:27 pm »
I just had Mellssa Harris-Perry's website running all her coverage of Ferguson.. Listened/watched many reports. WTF happened to her? 

She repeatedly asked loaded, slanted, often rhetorical questions. Her progressive black guests could sometimes barely put up with it and a few even called her out on her oddly worded questions... 

It was transparent what she was doing and I sort of support the anger and the mirroring of similar bias from the right.

But she did it all with a straight face and it's really knocked her credibility down, in my book.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2014, 07:31:33 pm »

The people so frustrated they looted shops,

lol What?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:36:05 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 12:02:19 pm »
lol What?

Thats the way lefty sides like to talk about it.

Now the autopsy reports suggest Brown was facing the cop. 

Lefty sites reported eyewitnesses testifying the cop shot Brown in the back.  Then reported eyewitnesses saying Brown had his hands up and was pleading not to shoot.

Lefty sites won't comment on the likelihood that his hands were or were not raised.

Bullet entry points seem to suggest hands were not raised.

Righty sites interpret wounds with their theory Brown was "bum rushing" back toward the cop, who shot Brown to stop the charge, first arms, finally head...

Call in to radio show, friend of Darren Wilson (cop) corroborates the righty theory - Wilson has repeated the same scenario privately...  Wilson's face reported bashed badly.

Dorian Johnson proving to be very unreliable witness.  Some rumours he was involved closely in the physical altercation: Wilson-Brown....

(Where is his incident report!!!!)

Existing video taken minutes after the incident.  In audio foreground, one guy is repeating the lefty theory that Brown was surrendering.  In audio background, 2 guys are reporting that Brown had turned and was charging the cop.

Toxicology report not due for weeks.  Rumours that its in and not favourable to Brown, but being squashed.

Eric Holder's autopsy to come, wildly expected by righty sites to be prejudiced and counteract current report, as righty sites consider him a "pro black" activist official.

Nobody knows if Obama should get more involved. 

Media rat fuck keeps getting nastier.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2014, 01:02:49 pm »
(Where is his incident report!!!!)
you would have thought the police would have loved to put out the incident report, right along with that video of Brown, if the policeman had actually been confronting a hostile suspect and reported it that way. Strange they have left the reports of raised hands be the only version out there so long. It'd be a shame if they let the reports of surrender continue to circulate with that amount of unrest and violence (on both sides). An incident report immediately issued could have put doubts about brown's actions into play and perhaps people wouldn't have caused this much of an uproar.

Media rat fuck keeps getting nastier.
don't blame the media. they can only report what they have access to. blame the police for not putting forth their incident report

..... unless of course that incident report says something negative about the policeman's actions in this case
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2014, 01:12:18 pm »
you would have thought the police would have loved to put out the incident report, right along with that video of Brown, if the policeman had actually been confronting a hostile suspect and reported it that way. Strange they have left the reports of raised hands be the only version out there so long. It'd be a shame if they let the reports of surrender continue to circulate with that amount of unrest and violence (on both sides). An incident report immediately issued could have put doubts about brown's actions into play and perhaps people wouldn't have caused this much of an uproar.
This  exactly.

I'm not blaming the media for anything, just saying its a free-for-all!

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2014, 01:14:30 pm »
I read the 16 page incident report on the "strong-arm" robbery.

I don't know/understand - why is it legal to withhold the incident report of the incident.

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2014, 10:17:14 am »

Regarding the incident report. How "convenient" with the delayed reveal.

And here are other recent news posts:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/michael-brown-shooting/michael-brown-protests-ferguson-hijacked-criminals-cops-n183671
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:19:19 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2014, 11:20:23 am »
The Egyptian government on Tuesday urged the United States to exercise restraint in dealing with protesters in Ferguson, MO.

Chinese and Russian officials are warning of a potential humanitarian crisis in the restive American province of Missouri, where ancient communal tensions have boiled over into full-blown violence.

"We must use all means at our disposal to end the violence and restore calm to the region," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in comments to an emergency United Nations Security Council session on the America crisis.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei went further, tweeting out: “Based on global statistics,US govt is the biggest violator of #HumanRights. Besides int’l crimes,it commits crimes against its ppl” and “Today like previous years, African-Americans are still under pressure, oppressed and subjected to discrimination. #Ferguson.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2014, 11:32:14 am »
The Egyptian government on Tuesday urged the United States to exercise restraint in dealing with protesters in Ferguson, MO.

Chinese and Russian officials are warning of a potential humanitarian crisis in the restive American province of Missouri, where ancient communal tensions have boiled over into full-blown violence.

"We must use all means at our disposal to end the violence and restore calm to the region," Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in comments to an emergency United Nations Security Council session on the America crisis.

Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei went further, tweeting out: “Based on global statistics,US govt is the biggest violator of #HumanRights. Besides int’l crimes,it commits crimes against its ppl” and “Today like previous years, African-Americans are still under pressure, oppressed and subjected to discrimination. #Ferguson.

This report is blowing up on the Al Jazeera Network. (Many tongues trying to find cheeks.)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 11:33:23 am »
They may be hypercritical tyrants but there is ironic truth to what they are saying ... sad irony . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 06:00:04 pm »
Touché, Russia, Iran   ;D

I let Chris Hayes reports on his website roll on my computer while I was washing dishes and cooking today.  Vastly better than Melissa Harris-Perry's.   

One interesting meta-observation - he bothered to make (mark of his class and intelligence) the very presence of so much media, and angry "protestors", and on-edge police/troopers/guards - kinda invites/garantees that one side can easily provoke a reaction from the other AND that it will get the attention/exposure...

___

I googled around to see just how much looting and vandalism and it seems to be QUITE a lot, all summed up..  That city is being trashed. 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:02:23 pm by mecch »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2014, 06:30:16 pm »
The only thing I see, when I watch coverage of what is happening, is that some Americans appear eager to kill other Americans.  Racism is alive and well and not just in America.

Joe

Offline mecch

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2014, 06:50:37 pm »
http://www.brookings.edu/blogs/the-avenue/posts/2014/08/15-ferguson-suburban-poverty#.U-5z7Ce2biq.twitter
Ferguson, Mo. Emblematic of Growing Suburban Poverty

But Ferguson has also been home to dramatic economic changes in recent years. The city’s unemployment rate rose from less than 5 percent in 2000 to over 13 percent in 2010-12. For those residents who were employed, inflation-adjusted average earnings fell by one-third. The number of households using federal Housing Choice Vouchers climbed from roughly 300 in 2000 to more than 800 by the end of the decade.

Amid these changes, poverty skyrocketed. Between 2000 and 2010-2012, Ferguson’s poor population doubled. By the end of that period, roughly one in four residents lived below the federal poverty line ($23,492 for a family of four in 2012), and 44 percent fell below twice that level.

---

Within the nation’s 100 largest metro areas, the number of suburban neighborhoods where more than 20 percent of residents live below the federal poverty line more than doubled between 2000 and 2008-2012. Almost every major metro area saw suburban poverty not only grow during the 2000s but also become more concentrated in high-poverty neighborhoods. By 2008-2012, 38 percent of poor residents in the suburbs lived in neighborhoods with poverty rates of 20 percent or higher. For poor black residents in those communities, the figure was 53 percent.

Like Ferguson, many of these changing suburban communities are home to out-of-step power structures, where the leadership class, including the police force, does not reflect the rapid demographic changes that have reshaped these places.

Offline zach

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2014, 07:15:45 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/18/hedy-epstein-arrested-ferguson-holocaust-_n_5689822.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

Hedy Epstein, 90-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor, Arrested During Michael Brown Protest

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Offline weasel

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2014, 07:34:17 pm »

IF   outsiders left their sorry asses home where they belonged
 maybe some of this shit would stop !
   I know people that have houses very close to this area , it is an
 " Up Coming " area !
   Outsiders are starting shit !   I am not saying the Police from the
   first day fucked up big time . Hiding facts for the sake of making a good
   story is wrong !
    Now today another COP killed an erratic mobster .

Carl

P.S.   Too close for comfort  >:(
" Live and let Live "

Offline weasel

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 07:35:19 pm »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/18/hedy-epstein-arrested-ferguson-holocaust-_n_5689822.html?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013

Hedy Epstein, 90-Year-Old Holocaust Survivor, Arrested During Michael Brown Protest

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Absolutely  wrong !     

Carl 
" Live and let Live "

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2014, 08:32:36 pm »
Way too many times these situations have occurred in urban areas across the country; the Trayvon case being a little different cause the asshole that shot him was not a cop.. Trying to figure out what the facts are, has come down to a cops word against a witness word and IMO that really doesn't fly cause both can be bias.

The technology has been there for several years, to keep both the police and the public honest.. The time has came for that change.

http://time.com/3137048/ferguson-body-worn-cameras-police-hawthorne/

If the police officer had been wearing a body camera and Brown had been going for his gun as the cop alleged, his actions may have been justified.. or if Brown had his hands up as the cop executed him as the two witnesses say, then that cop could be charged.

After watching shows like COPS for several years, it's obvious that police are more likely to behave when being video recorded and Brown may have lived.

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 10:42:09 pm »
Crawford killing is a grisly tale and not many are talking about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/john-crawford-iii_n_5669715.html

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 08:01:51 am »
Crawford killing is a grisly tale and not many are talking about it:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/11/john-crawford-iii_n_5669715.html
Maybe not many are talking about it because there isn't anything at all grisly in that story. 
The video will help fill in the gaps, but right now, calling it "grisly" is over the top and, frankly, how these things morph into riots with folks stirring the pot before facts are known.

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 11:16:08 pm »
Some more context:

This Was Michael Brown’s High School
http://dianeravitch.net/2014/08/14/this-was-michael-browns-high-school/

Michael Brown, the youth who was killed by police in Ferguson, Missouri, graduated from Normandy High School. You may recall reading here that the Normandy School District, which was 98% African-American, was merged by the state with the nearby Wellston School District, which was 100% African-American.

Michael’s graduation picture was taken in March 2014. Why so far ahead of the graduation date? The high school had only two graduation gowns, and they had to be shared by the entire class.

http://m.dailykos.com/story/2014/08/14/1321440/-Michael-Brown-s-School?detail=facebook

“This district was created by merging two of the poorest, most heavily minority districts around St. Louis—Normandy and Wellston. The poverty rate for families sending their kids to Normandy Schools was 92 percent. At Wellston School District, the poverty rate was 98 percent. Every single student in the Wellston district was African American.

(mecch - the district is in such shambles and underfunded - as there is no tax base, since everyone is poor - it lost it state accreditation. However, because it was unaccredited, students had the legal right to demand transfer. The state hurriedly re-accredited the school despite no changes or evaluation of its quality. This reaccreditation is now being challenged... http://news.stlpublicradio.org/post/judge-clears-more-normandy-students-transfer-elsewhere)

"Still, the state education board voted to merge the districts in 2010 (the first change to state school district boundaries in thirty-five years). Plagued by white flight, crashing property values that destroyed tax revenues, and a loss of state funds as the better-off residents of the area sent their children to private schools, the resulting district isn’t just short of gowns, it’s short of everything. Residents of the district voted again and again to raise their own property taxes, until their rates were actually the highest in the state, but a higher percentage of nothing was still nothing, and district revenues trended steadily down."

“So who actually runs Michael Brown’s school district? Well, the president of the board of education is Peter F. Herschend of Branson, Missouri. Herschend isn’t a former teacher, or a former principal, and doesn’t have any training in the education field. He’s the owner of Herschend Family Entertainment, which runs Silver Dollar City and other amusement parks. He’s also one of the biggest contributors to the Republican Party in the state.

“So, when you’re wondering who runs Michael Brown’s school district—when you’re wondering who’s in control of an urban, minority district so poor that the students have only two graduation gowns to share—it’s a white Republican millionaire from out state.”
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 11:19:13 pm by mecch »

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 11:23:29 pm »
Latest I heard was Micheal Brown was charging at the police officer after the officer told him to freeze.  He was taunting the officer and disobeying him.  Apparently this was after a fight the two of them got into. 

The result is tragic

Offline mecch

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2014, 11:31:48 pm »
Yes that is supposed to be what Wilson, the cop, is saying to investigators.
Conflicting eyewitnesses. 
Some of them already proven unreliable (johnson, for instance).

Offline weasel

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 10:43:16 am »

This morning's news says the friend that was with Brown  at the time of
       the shooting  had an outstanding warrant . Been arrested twice for
       stealing and arrested for lying to the police in the past couple years !

He has lost all credibility .   I really would like to see pictures of these
      two thugs , everyone has a camera today !    We only see innocent looking
     boys .     

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 11:02:34 am »
Been arrested twice for
are those crimes capital offenses? should police mete out the ultimate "justice" by killing people in the streets without a trial?

While all the past offenses might be some sort of evidence in a court of law, these policemen made their judgement to shoot NOT based on that information.

and on the other hand, do you see any connections between blacks, crime, poverty, lack of education, the militarization of police forces, and police overreach (brutality)?
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline zach

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2014, 11:15:20 am »
due process for all, including the police... why hasn't he been arrested? any citizen did what he did, would be arrested, and have their day in court

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »

This morning's news says the friend that was with Brown  at the time of
       the shooting  had an outstanding warrant . Been arrested twice for

He has lost all credibility .   I really would like to see pictures of these
      two thugs , everyone has a camera today !    We only see innocent looking
     boys .     

Carl

George Bush lied. Bill Clinton lied. But man-o-man you just can't trust some nappy headed negro to tell the truth. White people should just shut up already.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2014, 01:11:39 pm »
The issues are so much larger than the details of this specific incident and the sad part is most people are not taking the long view or applying what history has taught us .

Since 9-11 local police departments have been raking funds for military style equipment and law enforcement has become a for profit business for SOME city's with quotas to fill and they have made some citys a military zone with soldiers instead of peace keepers .

Until we address social inequality, racism and tackle gun control not much is going to change .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2014, 01:24:12 pm »
towns don't need tanks. when you militarize the civil police force, they go to war. we are then the enemy.

local swat police recently executed a no knock warrant, based on a tip from an arrestee. busted in a door, tossed in a flash bang. right into a crib. that child had a gaping hole in his chest, burned face and body, and was left in a coma. target of the warrant was not there (no longer even lived there) and when found had a misdemeanor weight of marijuana on his person. not the piles of meth police were hoping for.

country officials have declined to pay for the childs medical expenses, saying that would be against the law.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2014, 06:06:10 pm »
John Olivers take on the police in Ferguson..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUdHIatS36A

Offline mecch

« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2014, 06:43:04 pm »
I made the questionable decision to watch the Kajieme Powell video the other day, not really thinking that I maybe didn't want to see this killing.
But having seen it, it was clear the man was a couple yards away (not within 3 feet) and a nut case, and I can't figure out why the 2 cops (2!) couldn't have tried a taser. 

They arrived, got out of he car with their guns out, evaluated the situation, and shot him dead --  all that within 20 or 23 seconds. 

Hindsight isn't helpful but one wonders why one didn't get out of the car with a taser ready, as well..  Powell was stumbling pretty slowly, and obviously loopy.

None of the people witnessing the whole thing seemed particularly threatened. They were keeping their distance but there was NOT a vibe of huge danger.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2014, 06:57:30 pm »
Mecch, It is possible they wasn't equipped with tazers.. many departments don't assign them out to all officers.. But its a good question

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2014, 06:58:31 pm »
Confirmed to be carrying tazers.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2014, 07:03:38 pm »
poor guy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.