Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:58:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 344
Total: 345

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Oh Mary, please! You should know better. Ohio Mayor resigns after gay slur...  (Read 3805 times)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 12:25:25 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
You mean there is actually Gay Folks & Gay Cops in Southeaster Ohio  :o who knew 

HUGS

DEN  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline wolfter

Appreciate you posting the link, but do you have any comments to add?  Just wondering why the need to post without adding anything.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
"At one point she reportedly said: “I don’t like a queer working for the village…I might be old-fashioned but I don’t like it.”

78 years old, poor pathetic thing.  The lazy, unthinking, self-righteousness and self-entitlement of it all. 

I sigh sadly thinking we can only wait for these types of bigots to die off, because there seems no hope of changing minds.  Its sad because plenty of people (of all ages) are able to adapt to social change, and plenty others, not.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
It's good to see he has the support of the village, that silly old bitch has got a lot of backs up, and is definitely on her own, no wonder she resigned, no one wants her there anymore...hopefully she will move to another village.

He looks so young, that photo makes him look like a 15 year old.  :)

Aroha
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline buginme2

Did you know that in 30 states it is still legal to fire someone for being gay?  You can be fired for being transgendered in 39.

States that protect LGBT people against discrimination based on sexual orientation? (States with an * also prohibit discrimination based on gender expression and identity)
 •California*
 •Colorado*
 •Connecticut
 •Hawaii
 •Illinois*
 •Iowa*
 •Ohio*
 •Maine*
 •Maryland
 •Massachusetts
 •Minnesota*
 •Nevada
 •New Hampshire
 •New Jersey*
 •New Mexico*
 •New York
 •Rhode Island*
 •Vermont*
 •Washington*
 •Wisconsin
 •District of Columbia*

Funny how >>NOT ONE<< of the states that prohibits discrimination is red and/or in the south. 

It absolutely enrages me that in the US we have still not passed federal legislation prohibiting discrimination in the workplace.  Its time to pass ENDA

http://www.aclu.org/hiv-aids_lgbt-rights/employment-non-discrimination-act
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
78 years old, poor pathetic thing.  The lazy, unthinking, self-righteousness and self-entitlement of it all. 

I sigh sadly thinking we can only wait for these types of bigots to die off, because there seems no hope of changing minds.  Its sad because plenty of people (of all ages) are able to adapt to social change, and plenty others, not.

Sadly mecch, I think you are right.  I used to think that the environment in which you were reared, condemned folks to think as their parents did or to bow to peer pressure, but no longer.  I grew up in Detroit and saw the 1967 riots close up and it wasn't pretty.  The reactions of some of my friends families were appalling.  Even my own parents used every derogatory remark when referencing others, whether it be due to their national origin, religion, or usually both.

Yet somehow, I never became a racist or bigot and maybe it's due to being gay and understanding the damage that stereotyping can do to a class of people.  It's even more than that I think, because I realize that so much of how you are perceived in the world, has nothing to do with anything you did.  I know I'm fortunate in life, but a lot of that was determined through genetics, not by me personally.  I tend to look at people for who and what they are, because life has taught me that looks can be very deceiving... both good and bad.

Joe

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
Sadly mecch, I think you are right.  I used to think that the environment in which you were reared, condemned folks to think as their parents did or to bow to peer pressure, but no longer.  I grew up in Detroit and saw the 1967 riots close up and it wasn't pretty.  The reactions of some of my friends families were appalling.  Even my own parents used every derogatory remark when referencing others, whether it be due to their national origin, religion, or usually both.

Yet somehow, I never became a racist or bigot and maybe it's due to being gay and understanding the damage that stereotyping can do to a class of people.  It's even more than that I think, because I realize that so much of how you are perceived in the world, has nothing to do with anything you did.  I know I'm fortunate in life, but a lot of that was determined through genetics, not by me personally.  I tend to look at people for who and what they are, because life has taught me that looks can be very deceiving... both good and bad.

Joe

Joe, as always, your insights into the human condition are stellar.  The part of your response that notes that much of how one is perceived has nothing to do with what one has done speaks volumes.

The news report about the biased 78 year old mayor, first name Mary, truly illustrates that maturity, thoughtfulness, compassion, and good sense do not necessarily ripen with chronological age.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 09:10:41 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline wolfter

A lot of focus has been placed on the negative actions by the mayor instead of the positive actions by the police force and the community. 

I've been following this since it was first community acknowledged.  The police chief is a relative of mine and his son has been openly gay since highschool.  He hired the police officer knowing his sexuality and none of his other officers had issues with it.

The Democratic mayor has only been in office a little over a year and Mark took her to task and made a full report to council regarding the open discrimination she portrayed.  As chief, she was his direct boss and he did the right thing regardless.  The majority of the community denounced her actions and support the officer.

What's incredible for me is that this is a small rural city with progressive attitudes.  A lot of older members of that area are capable of changing attitudes towards homosexuality.  I'm living proof of it.  I would hate for the world to view my favorite area of the world based on the views of one idiotic resident.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?

Joe

I agree with you, Joe. I remember the "Hough Riots" in Cleveland exactly a year before Detroit's "12th Street Riot". It wasn't pretty where I lived either and my family, particularly my mother, said some awful things at the time, and again when the Detroit riot erupted.

I was very young at the time but I remember it vividly, probably because those riots were talked about in my house for years. The Watts riots were discussed frequently too but being even earlier ('65), I don't remember the TV coverage about it like I do the Hough Riots ('66) and the 12th Street Riot ('67).

I never became a racist either, much to my mother's dismay. For a time I questioned her language, but gave up eventually when she stopped replying and just started giving me a slap. I never understood the hate.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
A lot of focus has been placed on the negative actions by the mayor instead of the positive actions by the police force and the community. 

I've been following this since it was first community acknowledged.  The police chief is a relative of mine and his son has been openly gay since highschool.  He hired the police officer knowing his sexuality and none of his other officers had issues with it.

The Democratic mayor has only been in office a little over a year and Mark took her to task and made a full report to council regarding the open discrimination she portrayed.  As chief, she was his direct boss and he did the right thing regardless.  The majority of the community denounced her actions and support the officer.

What's incredible for me is that this is a small rural city with progressive attitudes.  A lot of older members of that area are capable of changing attitudes towards homosexuality.  I'm living proof of it.  I would hate for the world to view my favorite area of the world based on the views of one idiotic resident.

Wolfie

Wolfie,

I'm not surprised by the attitude of the Mayor, but I was very pleased with the reactions of those around her.  It gives me continuing hope that eventually being gay will simply be no big deal and the actions of the police chief and others show just how attitudes can change... even though it still happens one person at a time.

I would never condemn an entire community based on the actions of one person.  I believe you have every right to be proud about how this community reacted.  I know I am.

Joe

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"

Did you know that in 30 states it is still legal to fire someone for being gay?  You can be fired for being transgendered in 39.

@ buginme2, wow, that is very sad  :(   all this dose is perpetuate continued stigma, throw HIV/AIDS in the mix and it's even worse  :-[

HUGS

DEN  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.