Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:30:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 304
Total: 305

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: my brother is taking HIV meds and does not have HIV help please  (Read 8034 times)

Offline marytexas

my brother thinks he has a virus like HIV so he takes HIV meds. This has been going on for years. He is always sick. I think he is really really got messed up thinking. could someone tell me how you can feel before medicine and after. Right now  wants me to help him get a drug called  ? lopinivir? He is always tired, nausea ,weak, lethargic, .... He has not really at all been willing to consider he could be wrong. If he stopped the meds if it was them making him feel so sick how long would it take until he was better. I am asking here on your forum because I believe you will have the real right answers and i pray you will tell me. Thank you Mary

Offline Almost2late

Re: my brother is taking HIV meds and does not have HIV help please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:18:10 am »
Mary, your saying your brother "thinks" he has hiv? ... was he ever tested?

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 01:34:36 am »
you can't just pick hiv meds up around the corner... how the hell is he affording meds if he isn't positive? how is he even getting them?

is he taking prep? if so, mind your business, and get out of his. prep is taken by negative people to prevent infection

so exactly what is he taking?

so many questions...

bottom line... there is nothing we can offer you here. sorry, but in the end, it's the truth

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:42:56 am »
Just like ALMOST and ZACH,  l see many questions.
What in the world is happening?
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline titik

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 05:23:28 pm »
Where is he getting the meds?

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 05:43:57 pm »
This is the same OP who posted this thread awhile back.  Which didn't make much sense, either.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=58188.msg676751#msg676751

Oh, and by the way OP.  HIV treatment does not make me feel sick, at all.  They even recommend a 2-drug pill, Truvada, to HIV- people now, to lesson the risk of getting HIV.

And Truvada does not make people feel sick.

You have some OLD information wrapped up in whatever mix of reality and fantasy you are relating in these threads. 

If he doesn't have HIV, why were you selling your net worth to buy the drugs for him, for example!  Did you just find out this new fact?

It sounds like both of you need some counselling to sort this out.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 05:50:50 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline marytexas

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 08:37:23 am »
I am very sorry you think I am nuts.  I guess i was unclear and thus you dished out not so nice responses. I am an RN. D.D.S. so i understand HIV scientifically not personally. I was turning to this forum for that. My brother is negative for HIV. He is convinced he has a yet undiscovered retrovirus  I wanted your help so i can confront my brother. He is an MD and  thinks he knows more than anyone. Again Medically I get "it." i am asking everyone taking these meds for how you feel yourself.  do they make you sick or not sick or who knows. Please do not treat me like quack. I think my brother is. I know that not a textbook in the world can match your wisdom. please reconsider your opinion of me.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 08:45:08 am »
Hi Mary ... no one is trying to be rude to you, I think you were a little skimpy on the facts and particulars with us so we didn't know what to make of it.

You should call your brothers doctor and arrange professional care for your brother. Where side effects and complications from modern HIV meds are rare they do still happen . HIV meds are powerful medicine and once on them patients need monitoring and test to assure the liver and kidney function is not impaired. Talk to who ever you have to or do an intervention. I hope this helps.   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline marytexas

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 08:52:33 am »
my brother thinks he has a virus like HIV so he takes HIV meds. This has been going on for years. He is always sick. I think he is really really got messed up thinking. could someone tell me how you can feel before medicine and after. Right now  wants me to help him get a drug called  ? lopinivir? He is always tired, nausea ,weak, lethargic, .... He has not really at all been willing to consider he could be wrong. If he stopped the meds if it was them making him feel so sick how long would it take until he was better. I am asking here on your forum because I believe you will have the real right answers and i pray you will tell me. Thank you Mary
Man o Man.WOW.  I read the WELCOME first. The mean-spirited responses hurt. i will gladly answer any question. I am seeking your wisdom not an assault. have you ever been judged onsite?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 08:56:14 am »
Seriously ? you took offense to what I said ? There really is not much more we can do for you in this setting anyway so I will leave it at I wish the very best for you and your brother. 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2015, 08:57:31 am »
Hello Mary
I am sorry you find my response mean.
however, look at your first post, to which you never responded.

my brother can not afford the meds. i am trying desperatly to find a price for Raltegravir Tablets he can afford. i have a vacation house i sold to pay for another drug. If anyone knows of a place that this medicine is available to obtain this medicine that is not thousands of dollars please let me know. I have been looking and looking and it is MERCK has the whole thing controlled all over the world to sky high prices.

Why did you sell your vacation house to supply HIV meds to your brother who does NOT have HIV, and is a doctor.  And if you are an RN and he is a MD, you are both clever and educated enough to explain this bewildering situation. 

If he needs HIV drugs because he has HIV, then you can both figure out how to afford them through insurance.  RN and MD, right.

If he doesn't have HIV, why would you sell your own property to fuel his delusion?  Again, did you just find out he does not have HIV?

What argument could a brother, who is a doctor, present to his sister, that he needs HIV treatment, and is not HIV positive, and she should sell her HOUSE to buy such drugs.

I am not being mean, I am trying to understand this odd situation.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 08:58:56 am »
Maybe I misread that, and you sold your home to pay for your own expensive treatment for something you had? 

Because it looks like you sold it to pay for HIV drugs for him.

Who we now discover is a doctor?

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:42 am »
The bottom line is still the same.  If your brother is not HIV+, you shouldn't be helping him in this off label treatment.   Maybe his condition is making him sick.  But coming here and spreading fear about HIV treatment making people sick doesn't help the HIV+ people who come hear to feel reassured.

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 09:01:43 am »
Gomenn.
Let me erase. 

Now l have read your posts over again.
Your brother is not HIV positive.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:31:14 am by DANIELtakashi »
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline zach

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 09:21:34 am »
your brother is HIV-, someone you care about is NOT living with HIV

you're not asking if you've had an exposure, you're not living with HIV... that rules out all boards except for off topic

you're enabling a hypochondriac... that has nothing to do with us, or HIV, or any advice we are able or willing (in my case) to offer

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 10:56:11 am »
If your brother is not HIV+, you shouldn't be helping him in this off label treatment.
exactly! there no explanation for these actions; but there is a definition of these actions: delusional and criminal.

It is a crime to use, or to give to another person to use, medications that are not prescribed for that user/patient. As an MD and RN, these people should already understand that they are breaking the law and are criminals. The requests put forth in these forums, and the information about the medications being misused, could possibly be evidence in a legal prosecution.

also there is a serious ethical issue of a sister assisting her brother use medications for a condition he doesn't have. Enabling someone's delusions, especially with chemicals that can have some serious side effects, is a very sick and delusional action also. If you two are truly a doctor and a nurse, these actions are appalling!! You don't need our assistance, you need to find mental counseling for yourself, and for your brother.... and perhaps a lawyer in regards to your pharmaceutical crimes.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 11:44:12 am »
I can’t see anything good coming from this thread so enough already . I hate locking threads but there is really nothing we can do for the OP at this point except to continue to pile on and say get some help .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.