Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:35:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 292
Total: 293

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ziagen?  (Read 5908 times)

Offline herewego

Ziagen?
« on: May 18, 2007, 05:05:28 pm »
Hello all. The doc's starting me on Ziagen this weekend and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts.

I began Truvada and Sustiva about 6 weeks ago. My VL dropped from 2.7 million to 328 (whoosh, wow) after three weeks but has now risen slightly to 388. The doctor wants to blast this stuff away so is adding the Ziagen. It's never great going on more meds, but nor does it overly worry me and my side-effects weren't too bad first time round (I had a rash for a while) so I said fine. His advice has been good so far

But was interested whether anyone had any advice on Ziagen.

My other counts are good:
March - T-cell 484 and 38%
May- T-cell 895 and 43%

Thanks all

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: Ziagen?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:01 pm »
Your number look great, congrats.
I have been on Ziagen since 2000 and so far it has been a good med for me.
As far as side effects go, the nausea was pretty bad at first but it got better.  I still have to eat a decent meal before taking the pills or I get sick, but nothing so bad to make me stop.  The other side effect for me has been the "malaise", but I'm not sure is Ziagen alone.  I just think HIV is what has taken my energy away. 
I have to say I was a little freaked out when I started Ziagen because of the warning about the side effects and the little card they tell you to carry at all time because of some fatal allergic reaction on a very few people.   
But as I said.  I've been on it for 7 yrs and it is a good drug for me.
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline appleboy

• Just me!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 05:14:40 pm »
You have only been on meds for 6 weeks?  I personally think more time to see if your current meds are working.  I know it took me 6 months or so to get down to undetectable.  Something to think about at least.  Did you have a resistance test done lately?  That should show if you are resistant to your current meds.
Good Luck and keep us up to date.
AppleBoy
If you are walking down the street and your pants drop to your ankles bend over pick them up and keep on walking!
My Blog

Offline herewego

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 05:51:54 pm »
Tks for those replies. Yikes, hope the Ziagen doesn't strike me down too badly. As I say I've done pretty well on the other stuff, bar the rash, and am malaise-free thankfully.

Yes, had a resistance test done and all looks fine. I know what you mean about only being on meds for 6 weeks, but the doc just felt very keen to press ahead at this stage and get that VL count down after it stabilised/rose. Said that if we get down towards the holy grail of undetectable, then we cd consider coming off it then and monitor things from there. I'm one of those who's always inclined to go with his doctor's advice, but i did wonder....

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 06:04:34 am »
Adding the Ziagen is unlikely to make the combo stronger, 4 drug isn't better than 3 for first-line therapy. Your viral load drop in 6 weeks to under 1,000 is predicitive of a good long-term response. Ziagen is a stronger drug than the tenofovir in Truvada, so a switch may be worth thinking about.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline sherm

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 11:57:48 am »
herewego,  I too started Ziagen today about 50 mins ago just checking for the same info that you were. thanks for you post.
I am taking Truvada, Fuzeon and a new trial Merck drug mk-0518 (on the three for 3 mo.) had a good drop in VL but doc wants more. Q. does anyone know if Truvada and Ziagen work together? my concern is the viread in Truvada
first time poster

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 06:32:54 pm »
Q. does anyone know if Truvada and Ziagen work together? my concern is the viread in Truvada
first time poster

I started my first line of treatment, October of 03. I was switched from Zerit to Ziagen back around December of 03. My regimen consists of Viramune, Epzicom (Epivir and Ziagen) and Viread. So far there is no problem with the Viread. Also want to state that the Viread was added around ( I believe Sep. of 04.) I am on 3 nukes( Epivir,Ziagen and Viread and one non-nuke--Viramune. So far things seem to be going OK. I have had the highest t-cell readings on my last blood test, since starting on meds, and I remain <50. All my other blood test are within range, and the doctor is pleased about that. ( and so am I )

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BriGuyNY,NY

• Looking on the bright side of life
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:44:20 pm »
Hi all.  Don't want to scare you, but I had a severe reaction on Ziagen after 3 doses in combo with sustiva.  Broke out in a rash head to toe, and a fever to 104.5.  resolved with tylenol and benadryl, but now must avoid at all costs as restarting can cause death.
The strongest warrior, is the one who conquers himself....Aztec warrior

Dripping water hollows out a stone...Ovid

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 08:51:17 pm »
Hi all.  Don't want to scare you, but I had a severe reaction on Ziagen after 3 doses in combo with sustiva.  Broke out in a rash head to toe, and a fever to 104.5.  resolved with tylenol and benadryl, but now must avoid at all costs as restarting can cause death.

Yes that is possible in some cases : ( From The Aidsmeds Drug Section)

"Approximately 8% of people who take Ziagen are allergic to it and can experience a "hypersensitivity reaction." This can be serious and may require that Ziagen therapy be stopped. A hypersensitivity reaction usually appears during the second week of therapy, but it can take as long as six weeks to notice any symptoms. The most common symptoms are fever and rash, followed by headaches, stomach upset, feeling tired, sore throat, cough, and shortness of breath. These symptoms usually get worse over time and it is important that you report them to your doctor immediately"

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 09:10:56 pm »

I'm included in that lot. Nothing I'd want to go through again, that's for sure! It took about a week before I realized I was having a bad reaction........I was wearing a short sleeved pullover and when I took my shirt of at the end of the day I was beet red where the shirt touched my skin. It went away by morning. Two days later it was back but in blotches......by then the skin on my hands were splitting open and the proton pumps in my stomach were cranking high volume acidic juices. Nexium and steroids saved my ass.
xxx,
Mike

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.