Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:35:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773166
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 206
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No side effects  (Read 5430 times)

Offline LordBerners

No side effects
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:04:41 am »
Well, I've been on Sustiva/Truvada for 3 days now, my third try with this combo, and have NO significant side effects.  Just dizziness at night for a few hours after ingestion, which makes tottering to the bathroom a risky affair, but none of the severe loss of appetite and exhaustion which accompanied my previous attempts.

Three days is not, I realize, definitive, but so far I'd say that all my previous problems were caused by the tuberculosis, not the meds. 

Alas, I'm now filled with worry that I may have made my virus resistant to Sustiva by stopping twice - the first time for two days without continuing the Truvada as a resistance-reduction strategy.  The chances of resistance under these circumstances are, as I understand it, very high.

What a shame.  I blame my doctors for not giving me enough information. 
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: No side effects
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 07:00:44 am »
You blame your doctors for you stopping the meds?  Come on, now.  My doctor doesn't ever tell my side effects etc. of the meds he prescribes unless I ask him.  I figure that I'm a responsible adult and can research them myself.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:05:46 am »
You blame your doctors for you stopping the meds?  Come on, now.  My doctor doesn't ever tell my side effects etc. of the meds he prescribes unless I ask him.  I figure that I'm a responsible adult and can research them myself.

No, I blame my doctors for not giving me the basic information regarding my treatment.  I'm astounded that a doctor would not take the 3-5 minutes required to vocalize the side effects of medications prescribed, or the additional few minutes to specify the nature of efavirenz's particular vulnerabilities to resistance. 

The point is that efavirenz is somewhat in doubt as an appropriate first line drug for treatment-naive individuals precisely because of situations like mine.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 07:01:19 am »
Efavirenz has been prescribed as a first-line therapy for treatment naive individuals for years, quite successfully.

I guess most of them probably didn't stop treatment without talking it over with their doctor first. Can't blame a doctor for not warning you when you didn't tell him what you were up to - until "the next day", at which time he DID tell you to continue on with the truvada.

I didn't respond as 1) I had laid off the meds and 2) I still felt shitty. So the next day i journeyed all the way to Bangkok and met with my doctors.   As I knew they would they recommended that I try to 'stick with' with combo as it is reputedly the best one.  They directed that I begin to take the Truvada again for a week in order to reduce likelihood of the Sustiva going resisted. Then, I can jump back into the full regimen or just stop, depending on how I feel. 

Anyway, I'm very happy for you that you're tolerating the combo this time around. Fingers crossed it's still effective for you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:44:31 am »
Efavirenz has been prescribed as a first-line therapy for treatment naive individuals for years, quite successfully.

I'm aware of that, of course, but there has also been debate for years about whether it is wise to use a medicine so vulnerable to resistance in treatment naive individuals.  The obvious reason being that unforseen difficulties are so likely in persons in this category - for example side effects caused by unknown latent OIs.

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:50:45 pm »

LORD Berners , you have posted  144 times  :) ,

I AGREE WITH  BETTY TACY ! .

I do not think you are dumb  :o

My doctor tells me NOTHING  unless I ask  ::)

Did you think that playing with fire would not get you burnt ?

Are you GUESSING ? , or are you RESISTANT ! >:( 

I wish you the best of care , BUT  you have  access to the internet and ALL of the info you need ,MOST of it on these pages are of great value  :)

PLEASE FOLLOW YOUR DOCTORS ORDERS

I have never missed a cocktail and GOD knows there are days I wish I were dead

rather than have to have MED - BELLY

with love and a prayer  ,   Karl 
" Live and let Live "

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:54:15 pm »
Common sense would dictate that if you are faced with a life-threatening disease and you halted your medication that you would discuss doing so with a doctor.  I'd say that this thread amazes me, but I'm often amazed by threads on AIDSmeds.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 12:59:24 am »
   My doctor tells me NOTHING  unless I ask  ::)

Are you GUESSING ? , or are you RESISTANT ! >:( 

The resistance is merely a possibility, nothing can be known regarding that for another few months.  Too bad doctors don't tell patients information about their treatment.. guess I've been fortunate enough to be well so far in life and didn't realize this.

Offline weasel

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2008, 09:31:17 am »
dear lord berners ,

do what I do sometimes !   

BRING A BIG LIST OF EVERYTHING YOU WANT TO KNOW  :o

I present my doctor with a huge list once a year !

it is up to you to OPEN your mouth !

DO NOT BLAME YOUR DOCTOR IF YOU DO NOT ASK QUESTIONS !

Doctors have many patients ,BUT MOST will answer  questions !,just ask !

best of health for you , we are ALL blessed with new drugs ,

But they have side effects ,so what  :(

take your meds and be well ,

Karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2008, 02:20:55 pm »
milord its been a few days and I hope things are still going well for you as far as the side effects -- I know you had a tough time with meds before the TB was diagnosed.  Are you still doing ok?

Hoping things are going well

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 07:05:43 am »
Thanks Assurbanipal, things are going very well - no side effects to speak of other than the usual dizziness at night and some increase in dreaming.  That's why I'm so concerned about whether resistance developed during the TB fiasco - the combo seems to easy to take now that the TB is eliminated as a factor.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 09:51:45 am »
Great!  Let's hope you've not developed resistance -- but even if you have, remember there are a lot of combinations available these days for folks just starting out.

But hope this combo works for you, since you are now comfortable with it.

A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.