Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:32:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773169
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 252
Total: 253

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PREVENTION CAMPAIGNS & LT SURVIVIORS  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
PREVENTION CAMPAIGNS & LT SURVIVIORS
« on: October 02, 2009, 06:19:41 pm »
There has been good news on the hiv mediacal scene in recent weeks, the vaccine and the statistics off people living longer with hiv.However each time I hear good news I now have an internal voice that shouts MORE YOUNGSTERS AT THE CLINIC,and i am using this post to think more about why this happens to me.It began with the success off combination therapies I think. I can remember a conversation with my Doc when I asked weather it was my imagination or where there more youngsters at the clinic.  He sadly said it was not my imagination he was amazed at the levels of denial he saw. 20 somethings who thought it would not be a problem to them....and how many youngsters truly believed that if they confined sex to there age group, if loads of lube was used and so and so on they would be safe.

If an alien arrived and looked at the advertising for hiv drugs they would I think conclude the medication was for those in the community who had been blessed with beauty and vitality.In this weeks POZ Magic Johnson makes the point that his continued health and visibility is a blessing and a curse as Far as hiv prevention effectiveness goes.

So I think I am moving to a point where I would Like to see someone like us when we are ill,lost,in enormous pain,skint and quite possably dying saying use that condon.

Any thoughts ?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline MarcoPoz

Re: PREVENTION CAMPAIGNS & LT SURVIVIORS
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 10:21:23 am »
I think the "HIV Stops With Me" campaign did some of this.  I'm with you though--In an attempt to be just like the Cixivan rock-climber ad--I fell and broke my leg/tore my knee up  ;D

Ok--so I was a rock-climber BEFORE HIV.  Just thought it was funny that after the accident, my ID doc said--"So were you trying to make a pharmaceutical ad?"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 06:15:55 am »
hi Marcopoz
Sorry about your leg, hope you are still climbing. I am gratefull that you posted as I was beginning to think I might off farted in the lift.(elevator)I hope nobody reads that I do not want any one to maximize there physical potential, The post is about my on-going dissatisfaction with the lack off prevention campaigns and the advertising imagery surrounding HIV meds.
Although I am prepared to Knock myself out in the surf,literally, I cannot even watch mountaineering films. which is a pity living so close to great climbing in Scotland,but as I explain to my mate Patrick I will go climbing if he is prepared to deal with a physically frozen ,verbally screaming Jessie insisting on international rescue at 35 feet.
Take care and enjoy the high
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:57:35 am »
Theyer, I remember when I was young.  I never thought I'd ever have any dire consequences to my actions either.  Of course, this resulted in many trips to the doc to clear up STI's.  And I remember the early ads about HIV in my area.  "If you have constant high fevers, constant diarrhea, horrible night sweats."  Well, I remember thinking "wow, thanks heavens none of these are happening to me."  And then, when a few of the symptoms did happen, I didn't equate that with HIV. 

So, I think it's pretty much universal with youth, and them thinking they're going to get anything that will haunt them the rest of their lives.  What to do about it?  I dunno.  My daughter has seen everything I've done, and the consequences, and still does things I shake my head at.  I guess people have to learn for themselves, unfortunately.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline lforsyth

• Standard
  • Instaurator Ruinae
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 08:58:43 am »
Anonymous testing wasn't available until 1986 when I was diagnosed.  After reading the surgeon generals report in the Sunday paper my friends and I decided to accept that we were probably infected which turned out to be the case.

I was at an event Chicago and had to hear how another guy was going out to the 'private' clubs. And then I had to hear what a wonderful time had had the next day.  I wasn't invited because I am out about being positive.  A few months later he found out he was positive.  Although I could sympathise with him, I couldn't feel sorry for him.

When I see adds that say 'I'm STD free, you be too' I know that they just want unprotected sex and they will probably end up getting infected.

One of the growing groups getting infected are married women who's husband has gone out and had unprotected sex with other men only to come home and infect his wife.  I know some closeted married men and have heard that they go to a place in unincorporated land near here where they have unprotected sex.

I guess that life is learned the hard way. I still can't understand how I've outlived not only my friends and partner (who was only 40) but all of my immediate family also.  I just turned 60, time flies when your having fun (not).
Tested POZ in 1986, knew there was something wrong in 1985. 04/2010 CD4: 975 Viral Load undetectable. Prezista, Norvir, Truvada, Acyclovir, Plavix, Lisinopril, Metoprolol and a bedtime snack of Lipitor (YUM)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.