Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:56:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 655
Total: 656

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Broadway show dress code?  (Read 7849 times)

Offline cmhjeff

Broadway show dress code?
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:29:34 pm »
In the heat of summer can one get by wearing nice shorts for a matinee show on Broadway? How about shoes would it be frowned on to wear gym shoes if that's what I wear over my brace?

thanks

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Broadway show dress code?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:08:19 pm »
You will see every manner of dress at Broadway shows -- from dressed to the nines, to tattered jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops.

My feeling has always been --- I'm paying damn good money, so I'm going to be comfortable.  This is at odds with my partner, so when we do get to NY for some shows, he's usually in a jacket and tie and I'm often in shorts.

Just go and enjoy the show!

Mike

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 09:12:29 pm »
You will see every manner of dress at Broadway shows -- from dressed to the nines, to tattered jeans, t-shirts and flip-flops.

My feeling has always been --- I'm paying damn good money, so I'm going to be comfortable.  This is at odds with my partner, so when we do get to NY for some shows, he's usually in a jacket and tie and I'm often in shorts.

Just go and enjoy the show!

Mike

Perfect! Thanks!

Offline edfu

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:07:22 am »
I've seen people at Broadway shows dressed as if they were taking out the garbage.  All sense of dress decorum and civility has long been lost.  They also now eat in their seats during the show--not just candy but actual pieces of fried chicken, Chinese take-out, etc.  And they talk to their friends--out loud and at full volume--throughout the show, as if they were sitting in their living room.  If you shush them, they threaten you with physical harm--out loud. 

I pity the poor actors.   And I grieve for a better time, when common courtesy, respect, and appropriate behavior and dress were the norm.  We live in a time of barbarians.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:54 pm »
We wore khaki's for Friday night of Rent and shorts for the matinee of Wicked on Saturday. We fit in at both shows just fine.  :)

Offline Iggy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 04:01:55 pm »
You wore khaki's to rent?!?  The irony is killing me.   ;D

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:48:30 am »
I wish I could remember when/where I first heard this advice, but it was to dress similarly to the actors on stage.  (Just think what the audience of Naked Boys Singing would look like!)  I'm not sure how this would work if you're not that familiar with the show, and in many cases, it would come off looking like the audience of Rocky Horror.  I was first told this before seeing Angels in America but didn't know how anyone in the show was dressed.

I would've killed for a pair of those hot boots Adam Pascal wore when he started in Rent (and being on the front row I got a nice view) but that was in hindsight.

Chris

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 10:52:45 am »
There is one fashion rule that should always be at the top:  When in doubt, wear black.

This is doubly true in NYC.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 12:32:36 pm »
Ha ha.
 I thought it was "Always  wear black".  ;D
or "Black is the new blue."
or "Black never goes out of fashion."
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.