Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:46:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: ANUG  (Read 9029 times)

Offline electricone

ANUG
« on: May 14, 2007, 02:46:33 pm »
After five hours of researching, I finally found this place and would love some insight.

Two months ago, my gums got very irritated and would bleed a bit when I brushed or flossed.  It wasn't surprising because I hadnt been to the dentist in years and last year I was supposed to have scaling done to get rid of the plaque build-up.  So there I was, a year after I was supposed to have it done.... I called and went in for a deep cleaning.  Immediately after, my gums quit bleeding and lost their sensitivity.

Two weeks ago, I noticed that my gums were starting to get sensitive again, so I called the dentist and went in last Wednesday to see if they had missed any places during the prior cleaning.  I was told then that I have ANUG and that smoking, stress and/or a compromised immune system could be to blame.  I was put on antibiotics and immediately after seeing the dentist, I have had no bleeding or sensitivity, so it seems to be healing.

Here is the question.  Is it possible to develop ANUG while seroconverting?  I have not been unsafe in the past year, but have had unprotected oral sex without ejaculation.  When HIV is listed as a a possible cause,  does this mean that one would have to have been infected for years in order for the immune system to be compromised, therefore leading to oral infections? Or again, can ANUG develop immediately after the initial infection?  Also, would HIV related ANUG respond to antibiotics? Because it is clearing up, I am leaning towards the underlying cause not being systemic.  However, maybe the fast healing doesnt mean anything at all.  Any help?

I have been driving myself crazy with this and all of the medical journals have been relatively unclear and unable to answer these questions. 

Offline RapidRod

Re: ANUG
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:58:52 pm »
ANUG is often brought on by stress and/or smoking and is a progressive painful infection with ulceration, swelling and sloughing off of dead tissue from the mouth and throat due to the spread of infection from the gums. Other causes of this disease include poor oral hygiene, poor nutrition and throat, tooth or mouth infections. ANUG is a rare condition, which typically affects people between the ages of 15 and 35. ANUG, has nothing to do with HIV. You can contract ANUG any time.

Offline electricone

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 03:08:29 pm »
thanks for replying.  Everything Ive read online, however, has stated that oral infections are sometimes indications of HIV infection that has been undiagnosed.  ANUG is one of those.  This is because harmful bacteria in the mouth is allowed to thrive because of a suppressed immune system. I would love to think that they are unrelated, but both the doctor and information online say that they are sometimes related

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:12:49 pm »
what the heck is ANUG?

i have to say it is interesting how so many folks on here will hone in on HIV as the culprit for all ills.  you readily admit, electric, that you've gone for ages without seeing a dentist and have not-so-hot oral hygiene.  don't you think that is the more likely culprit?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline electricone

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:36:23 pm »
ANUG is Acute Necrotizing Ulcerative Gingivitis

I had no idea what it was either.  But yes, it is very rare in Westerners and is most commonly found in developing nations.  That is why HIV infection is considered upon diagnosis in otherwise healthy individuals.  I do have contributing factors other than possible HIV infection.  But I also had questions regarding ANUG'S presence in seroconversion.  Mainly, I wanted to know how long one usually  has been infected with HIV before immuno-suppressant  related illnesses occur.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:55:08 pm »
Have you had risky (unprotected anal/vaginal sex/needle sharing) incidents that would lead you to believe you may have contracted HIV?

Dont ask me how I did it, but I missed the ENTIRE last paragraph of your initial post.  The others are 100% right on the money.

Im bowing out of this one for now. 

My apologies.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 04:07:45 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 04:05:06 pm »
Nothing in what you have described would lead me to believe HIV is involved in your situation.

But you have been sexually active. If your attention to getting tested regularly for STDs has been as lax as your oral care, then you are long overdue for a full STD panel. That's something we recommend that anyone who's sexually active have done at least once a year.

So how about cutting all this frabber jabber guessing about your status and just have an HIV test done along with a full STD panel.

Nothing you are reporting leads me to expect other than a negative result, but HIV and other STDs are not something to guess about.

Get tested. Period.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline electricone

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 04:10:34 pm »
thank you all.  I had an std check last year.

Regardless of my status, I am still very interested in answers to the questions contained in my first post, mainly " how long does it take for HIV to compromise your immune system"?

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 04:33:49 pm »
As soon as HIV gets a foothold it has technically compromised your immune system.  Symptoms of this and complications deriving from the infection vary greatly from person to person. 

Opportunistic Infections are generally most troublesome when the CD4 count falls below the magical 200 mark.  This mark has no set time period and also varies greatly from person to person.

Good luck to you.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:37:03 pm »
There is no flat out formula answer for how quickly HIV will undermine an immune system. There are a number of factors which play a significant role such as general health at the time of infection, ongoing healthcare, hereditary factors, gender, age and more.     
Andy Velez

Offline electricone

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 04:49:15 pm »
is there an average?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 04:57:02 pm »
No there isn't. In any event, you didn't have a risk for HIV transmission and your poor oral health will not increase your risk of contracting the virus.

Rather than speculating about how quickly HIV can compromise an immune system, you might do better to take the time to read our Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with how HIV is and is not transmitted.

MtD

Offline electricone

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 05:02:47 pm »
thank you.  I am 27 years old and remember being a child hearing about this new epidemic.  I knew I was gay at an early age, and because of my age and the general lack of information, I spent years thinking I was positive simply because I liked other boys in my class.  Unfortunately, this fear has lingered well into adulthood and I get very frightened when it is mentioned, although I have educated myself on transmission and risk.
I had just never heard of ANUG before and it opened the door for concern about seroconversion.
Thanks again for helping me out.  I really appreciate it.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 05:29:25 pm »
Unfortunately you are by no means the only or even rare young gay adult who grew up with the mistaken idea that if you're gay you have or are destined to have HIV/AIDS.

And if our education system was functioning more responsibly than it is, many both gay and straight would be well educated about how to avoid becoming infected.

Having said that I'm glad you have found your way here and can arm yourself with safer sex information. You can enjoy your healthy sexuality, protect your health and avoid  totally unnecessary worry and anxiety about actions which do not put you at risk. Educating yourself as you have is a good step in that direction.

No matter how your mind may continue to scare you every now and then, as long as you follow safer sex guidelines consistently you will be fine as far as HIV is concerned.

Cheers, l   

Andy Velez

Offline electricone

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 06:27:17 pm »
well, i grew up in the thick of Appalachia, so I dont think my education system in the 80's is indicative at all off the rest of the country's.  However, it is shocking that I find peers who are sexually active and know nothing about HIV. To them, its what all of the "old" guys got and that is scary.

again, thank you so much for running this forum and for the responses

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.