Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:42:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 351
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Glass  (Read 7979 times)

Offline jano

Glass
« on: September 23, 2008, 03:47:05 pm »
Dear Experts

First I m sorry for my poor English because I m French working in a French company in Dubai.So please if you did not get the meaning of any information just ask me & I ll try to clarify things.

My story is that one day I was invited to my friend house for a dinner and we were drunk , so her girl friend asked another guy “ I have doubt that he s a drug user “ & me to prepare the table “ cutlery , dishes , tumbler etc “ , so while putting glass tumblers one of them go down on the floor and broke , so do not make any trouble with her girl friend I tried to pick broken glass pieces by hands and the “ drug user “ helped me we were both select glasses in the same area, but accidently he cut deeply his hand and without thinking and maybe after less the one second I took by hand the same piece with blood on it and unluckily I cut also my hand so deeply :(
The guy “ the drug user “ was so displease that I cut my hand with the same piece of glass , I don’t know if he know that he s HIV positive!!!

Please tell me about the risk in this accident and if I have to make any test , please I need your answers because I m really confused , I don’t know if I have to leave this country and go back to France .

Jano

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Glass
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2008, 05:29:09 pm »
OK, Jano. The first thing for you to do is to take a nice deep and slow breath in and let it out. And do it again, please. I mean it. Right now.

Now, if you have done that you ought to be a little calmer. As a bottom line I will tell you that I think you are worrying without cause about HIV. HIV is a fragile virus. It is not easily transmitted. Whether it's nicks with a razor or a scissors at a barber shop, street fights where someone bleeding punched and opened a wound in another person or daily life accidents such as the one you experienced, I've never known of transmission to take place from any of those very common occurences.

Your fears are based on what ifs. What if the fellow you assume is really a drug user and what if he is HIV+ and what if the HIV in his blood got into your cut. That's a lot of what ifs. Other than sharing of needles by intravenous drug users, (which involved shooting directly into the bloodstream and not the kind of accident you had), the real risks for HIV transmission are strictly speaking unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. EVERYTHING ELSE IS STRICTLY THEORETICALLY RISKY, but in the real world of HIV we know that theory doesn't translate into real infections.

I don't see any need for testing, nor for a panicky departure for France on your part nor for further concern. 

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline jano

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 05:43:42 pm »
thanxs Andy

so if it s not easy to be transmissed , why this fears from blood ? why all people have this knowledge that blood to blood is risky ? why all tv shows talking about hiv transmission thrue blood ? why your lessons talk about risk for medical worker?why at schools we got this idea of blood ??

i m not trying to do the smart guy here but do you think that all mentioned WHYS were present from nothing?

jano

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 09:06:17 pm »
Jano, I'm not going to try to account for what different sources you refer to are saying. As far as medical workers are concerned, those are very special conditions usually involving needlestick situations in medical settings. As contrasted with you picking up broken glass in a civilian setting.

As far transmission via blood is concerned, if for instance someone has unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse, especially the latter, there is a danger of blood vessels rupturing that are very close to the surface of the anus or the vagina. If the insertive partner is HIV+, that means semen can pass directly into the bloodstream and thus make transmission very possible. Or if the insertive partner is the negative one, blood from the ruptured vagina or anus (or other body fluids) can possibly pass through his urethra or under his foreskin if he is uncircumcised. Again, we're talking about real risk situations rather than the social circumstance you're worried about.
Andy Velez

Offline jano

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 01:35:18 am »
so i don't have any risk?? and i can drop condoms during sexual realtion with my wife? knowing that since 2 yearrs when we arrived to this country we made both of us our Obligatory HIV test and it was negative & both fo us don't cheat !

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:14 am »
Jano,

No risk. You don't need condoms with your wife.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jano

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:28:02 am »
Dear Andy

“ MAYBE “ was not that I m not sure I cut my hand with the same piece of glass with blood , “ MAYBE “ was to show you how short is the time .

Please Re-read my case and answer me again , I m 100% sure that I cut my hand with the same piece of glass .

Jano

Offline jano

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 07:14:03 am »
Andy & Ann

please!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:00 am »
You were never at risk. HIV cannot stay active outside its host. You cannot contract HIV from environmental surfaces.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 07:56:15 am »
I understood that you'd cut your hand with the same glass. I still say you were not at risk. We understand the situation quite well.

If you are going to be in a state about this then go ahead and test at 13 weeks for your peace of mind. You'll collect a negative result and hopefully then move on with your life. I say test ONLY for peace of mind and not because I think you had any risk, because you didn't.
Andy Velez

Offline jano

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
Dear all

I really appreciate your answers but :

I mentioned red & brown stains on my skin,more than 20 on whole my body not my face , so I went to a doctor he told that must be a disease called rose de gibert and I have to wait 1 month if it does not disappear must be syphilis !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I m really afraid because I know that syphilis is usually related to aids !!! please tell me what to do??

See Photo of stains as profile pic

Jano

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:42:00 pm »
jano,

Syphilis is NOT related to aids. They're two totally different things. If the doctor thinks it's  syphilis, he should have run some tests. If he thinks it's rose de gibert, he should have taken a sample and given you treatment for it. Perhaps you need to see a different doctor.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv. You did not have a risk for hiv infection. It's pointless having that photo in your avatar - nobody can diagnose you over the internet.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jano

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 01:56:10 pm »
Ann

But his blood went inside my body !!!!thrue this cut !!! so if he s infected " i can't ask him because his not my friend and he s always agressive " i had this blood to blood contact , it s similar to needles maybe it more risky because it s a huge quantity of blood , please if possible to explain based on science not just experience that i really respect.

jano

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 02:30:27 pm »
Do you ever read the replies that are given to you? It might help if you try rereading all the replies.

Offline jano

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2008, 02:34:44 pm »
i did

Offline jano

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:20 pm »
plz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 03:25:38 pm »
There is nothing more to add. You were never at risk. Seek professional mental help for your concerns.

Offline jano

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 04:05:32 pm »
thank you for your kind reply , i was asking for explination based on science not agrassive reply!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 05:32:58 pm »
jano,

This has already been explained to you. Hiv is not transmitted OUTSIDE the body (body to glass to body) it's transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You did NOT have a risk for hiv infection.

If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have read the following:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jano

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:52 am »
but rapidrod said on a post called " hiv from dentist " a new one, that to be infected by touching hands both must have laceration , and in my case we both had laceration ,

Dear Ann before giving me a time out explain my situation based on science , please don't ignore me

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 09:46:15 am »
jano,

You didn't touch hands. You touched glass. If you both had deep cuts and pressed your fresh, bleeding, deep cuts together and held them together for a few minutes, then MAYBE you could get infected. You didn't do this.

Once hiv finds itself outside the human body, small changes temperature, moisture content and pH levels all quickly damage hiv and render it unable to infect. It's a very fragile virus and it needs to be undamaged in order to latch onto a very few, specific cell types and infect.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us that you had no risk, then go test and collect your negative result. However, you will not be permitted to use this forum to go on and on about your no risk event. This is your last warning.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline jano

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 06:46:24 pm »
please read what i find on " the body " website , i think the body is also a proffesional website : please read and tell me your comments :

Thank you for your question. When you try to determine whether you are at risk for HIV or not, you have to remember the following:

1) You must be exposed to pre-cum, semen, vaginal secretions, blood, or breast milk, AND

2) The virus must get directly into your bloodstream through some fresh cut, open sore, abrasion etc., AND

3) Transmission must go directly from 1 person to the other very quickly.....the virus does not survive more than a few minutes outside the body.

No matter what the circumstances are, if you think about these 3 criteria for transmission, you'll be able to determine whether you are at risk for HIV or not.

In your specific situation, you would only be at risk if:

1) The person you were fighting was infected with HIV, AND

2) You were directly exposed to his blood, AND

3) His blood got directly into your bloodstream within minutes of leaving his body.

If his blood got directly into a fresh open cut that you got during the fight, or if his blood got directly into your eyes, nose, or mouth, this is considered an access to your bloodstream, and you would be at risk. If you were not exposed to his blood, or if his blood did not have a direct access to your bloodstream, then you would not be at risk of infection. If you were at risk of infection based on what I stated here, then you should consider being testing for HIV, and also for Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 07:16:14 pm »
You were given your assessment. NO RISK. If you like what you've read off another forum then I suggest you stay with that forum. You will not be permitted to wring your hands on a non risk issue on this forum.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:17 pm »
"Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum."

You have been warned twice by Ann, yet you are still not listening..I'm giving you a 28 day TO...I hope you use this time to educate yourself on how HIV is and is not transmitted.

Do not try and create another user name because you will be caught and it will result in a permanent ban.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.