Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:16:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 198
Total: 199

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An AIDS Meds Memorial Proposal  (Read 25581 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
An AIDS Meds Memorial Proposal
« on: October 23, 2007, 11:33:51 pm »
To the Forums Family,

I have a proposal for this site for which I’d like to get your feedback.  It's an idea that I suppose first sparked during my visit to San Francisco for the 2007 AIDS Meds Gathering, but has only recently crystalized in my mind.  The AMG experience for me was nothing short of transformational, and I flew home in a euphoria from the connections I made and shared experiences I had with other members there.  The weeks since have not been as kind...not for me, not for any of us who hold close to these forums and the people that inhabit them.

The truth is that I've been trying to put this post together for a few days now, and what you're reading now isn't a single word of it.  I've been in the midst of a lot of loss lately, and it's taken a toll on me.  I couldn't frame my sentences properly without becoming tangled up emotionally, so I'm typing as fast as I can and just spillng from the gut as fast as I can in a dash for the Post Button. 

So here it is:

I would like to suggest a permanent Memorial Forum for this site, similar to the way that we have one dedicated to the AIDS Meds Gatherings.  And I think it would be fitting for this new forum to be placed alongside the Gatherings Forum, as it first came to mind  from AMG at its signature Memorial Event, and then a bit later during the trip when I peeked in on the forums and found this thread:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=15608.0

Just as we were able to breathe life into the memories of these people and bring a part of them with us to San Francisco, so this post brought a little glimmer of the life of James to me and now he is tied in my mind as a part of that gathering as well.

I connect all of this back to AMG because that event is an extension of this site, so I feel it would be appropriate to create this forum as an extension of the dedications that are made there.  If you look on the boards right now, we have these...

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16536.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16597.0

and of course these...

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16463.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=16525.0

And there are numerous other links I could add to these.  Doxie's friend, Chuck.  My friend, Michael...

I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this.  My personal mental image of it is as sort of our forum's version of a memorial garden, a centralized place where all such threads can be placed and will be less likely to get lost in the mix of other threads and won't get shuffled to the back as quickly.  I also think it might be nice to have a thread stickied at the top of this forum where the moderators can add names over time, so their memories will have a more fixed place here.

I initially was only thinking of a sticky thread, and this is a bit bigger of a suggestion, but it seems to make more organizational sense to me in this form.  I'm getting ready to hit Post now, and I hope it came out ok and didn't ramble too unbearably.  It's here for your consideration and input.  And to all of you...

Love & Stuff,

Thunter34

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline emeraldize

Re: An AIDS Meds Memorial Proposal
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:48:11 pm »
Tim

It's a good idea.

Em

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 11:54:59 pm »
Hi Tim

Personally I think this is a wonderful idea, but I have no idea what it takes to do this..hopefully more feed back will give us a better idea how to deal with this, go forward, and set something like this up, but I do like your idea of a memorial thread.

The memorial service's we held in Toronto, Montreal and San Francisco have become a very important part of the AIDSmeds gatherings and I hope they continue to play a important part, both here in the forums and in furure gatherings.

Love and hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline tinydaniell

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 12:00:51 am »
I like this idea had a thought about this while is was veiwing the Quilt display Sunday at the AIDS Walk/Run.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:26:54 am »
I totally agree. Everyone's loved ones deserved to be memoralized on the net. As time and this disease take their toll, the truth is, we will lose members. It would be very nice to have a place to keep our memories of them around to cherish.

At my personal blog (http://reigningpages.com/leatherman - which is almost 10 yrs old ;D), I've always had a special page in rememberance of my Randy http://reigningpages.com/leatherman/randy/.

--mikie
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline David_CA

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 01:08:45 am »
Tim (and moderators/ owners), I think it's a nice idea.  It'd be a place where we can post last words about a close person in our lives who's passed, or bring attention to to an HIV ally that's no longer with us, etc.  I think it's important to remember these people, and it would be nice to have them remembered in a forum where they won't get lost in the day-to-day shuffles, discussions, and fights that take place in other forums.  Let's work out some details and see if this is something that those in power will implement.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 01:28:44 am »
Dear Youth Pastor Tim,

This is such aq great idea.  An internet memorial for people who have touched our lives.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 01:32:47 am »
I totally agree. Everyone's loved ones deserved to be memoralized on the net. As time and this disease take their toll, the truth is, we will lose members. It would be very nice to have a place to keep our memories of them around to cherish.

At my personal blog (http://reigningpages.com/leatherman - which is almost 10 yrs old ;D), I've always had a special page in rememberance of my Randy http://reigningpages.com/leatherman/randy/.

--mikie

And there you have it in your post and tinydaniel's right above.  That is why I chose to request it as a forum itself rather than one thread - because of the centralization aspect of it.  To use our dear Christine as an example, the initial thread about her passing as well as the (technically worldwide, mind you) candlelight vigil that transpired in her honor would be at home together in such a forum.  And in including links like the one you just posted, mikie, we could essentially begin to assemble a "virtual quilt" of sorts, comprised of these threads.  

I mentioned the stickied thread affixed at the top of this forum to be in keeping with the theme of permanent memorials, lasting testaments.  I had in mind the names listed in the stones at the garden in San Francisco, but I suppose it would visually look more like the Veteran's Wall on the screen.  When threads are posting about a loss, a request can be made to the moderators to now place this name on the list in this read-only thread.

There are many ideas that come to mind, and I am happy to see people coming forth already with these ideas and enthusiasm.  I recognize the the establishment of a new forum may be daunting.  I'm not technically savvy enough to really know, but my guess is that much about this particular forum would be easy to maintain once established.

Eager to see what further posts in this thread bring.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:34:57 am by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 02:48:40 am »
All I can contribute, Timmy, is a big 2 thumbs up!

Our own, virtual AidsMeds quilt with  members from around the world.

robert

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 05:58:16 am »
Tim, that is a great idea.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 06:22:00 am »
Wow Tim!  What an awesome idea!  :)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 06:40:59 am »
I agree. Sounds like a very good idea.

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2007, 06:59:54 am »
I like that idea!

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2007, 08:47:27 am »
Personally, for me, grief and memorial is private or for the few. 

Today is Matty's birthday, 24 October, always a sad day for me, but I know he would rather be remembered as THE BOY WHO LOVED WELL and MATTY THE ARTIST not MATTY WHO DIED OF AIDS.

Life and death are part of surviving, and they fall unevenly. I well remember the axe blow of AIDS to my friends in the 1990s but many will not, and will never have a comparable experience. The memory is mine, or for my generation of queers.  And there are other comparable experiences and disjoins which I would never claim to own or want others to own.  It would feel dishonest.

I am unsure if any memorial to people passing and long passed can be incorporated very well into these forums.

As I get older, and the deaths of friends and family increase, I find it impossible to separate those with the virus from those without.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2007, 09:18:54 am »
Hi,

I already proposed that to Peter Staley and here is what he said:

"It's a great idea, but unfortunately, it would entail a new content area on the site.  If I ask for this, it would be added to a huge to-do list on the tech-team's plate, which means it might not happen for up to a year.  I find it very frustrating these days whenever I need something new like this -- it can take forever.  However, I'll bring it up at our managment meeting, and see what folks think.

Peter"

So I hope the management meeting will go for it. It would be great if we can push this.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2007, 11:00:10 am »
I support this idea very much.

It will offer us not only a place of remembrance but also perhaps a reminder that we are still dying

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2007, 11:12:28 am »
Great idea...important to have a place for remembrance.

Hopefully it can be added.

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2007, 11:31:42 am »
for the second time in 5 minutes, what iggy said.
this is getting scary.
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2007, 12:41:41 pm »
Timmytims, I like your idea very much. I also like the idea that the person does not have to be a member of the forums to be remembered.

AD

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2007, 01:07:12 pm »

Today is Matty's birthday, 24 October, always a sad day for me, but I know he would rather be remembered as THE BOY WHO LOVED WELL and MATTY THE ARTIST not MATTY WHO DIED OF AIDS.

Life and death are part of surviving, and they fall unevenly. I well remember the axe blow of AIDS to my friends in the 1990s but many will not, and will never have a comparable experience. The memory is mine, or for my generation of queers.  And there are other comparable experiences and disjoins which I would never claim to own or want others to own.  It would feel dishonest.

I am unsure if any memorial to people passing and long passed can be incorporated very well into these forums.

As I get older, and the deaths of friends and family increase, I find it impossible to separate those with the virus from those without.

- matt

WOW, what a beautiful post.  Grief and the complexities that surround it is handled differently by each of us.  Thanks Matt, for posting something so close to the way I feel and think.

That being said I think Thunter's idea is excellent and would mean a great deal to others who would use it to deal with the grief they experience.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2007, 01:23:38 pm »
Timmytims, I like your idea very much. I also like the idea that the person does not have to be a member of the forums to be remembered.

AD

I think that would be most appropriate, as we have a "Someone I Care About Has HIV" forum.  Not to mention that the many in the membership here have very close relationships with other positive people who are not.

It will offer us not only a place of remembrance but also perhaps a reminder that we are still dying

Yep.  That was my line of thinking as well.

Matt, I understand where you are coming from in your feelings.  The thing is, such memorials already are incorporated into these forums (as shown by several current threads).  I'm simply proposing a means of corralling these threads, centralizing them into a common area that is specifically for them.  The dedicating of such a space (rather than having them scattered in the midst of Living With and occassionally OT) just seems to be a respectful way of going about it.  That's just where I am coming from in my suggestion, but I understand and respect your position. 

And thanks all for your responses thus far.  I acknowledge that the creation of a new content space involves a great deal of work, and I appreciate that it may take some time to realize if approved.  I just think it's an idea worthy of serious consideration in looking toward the future for these forums.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Dan J.

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2007, 01:31:37 pm »
This is a great idea.

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 09:02:38 pm »
Sweet Tim,

I love this idea.  It seems a natural inclusion to the site.  I will support your idea in any way I can.  I hope the owners agree.

Love and hugs, Ric

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2007, 09:59:37 pm »
Timtation~

I strongly agree with what you have proposed here.  I agree that sometimes these threads get lost in "Living With...." where they should be easily accessible and not lost.  I feel it would be a great tribute to have our own "Memorial Garden" here on the site.  I think "Memorial Garden" would be a fitting name for it, too.  A place where we can post feelings, and song links, poems......

Its a wonderful idea.

Milker, thank you for writing to Peter.  Even if this idea does take a year to come to fruition here, I still think its worth the wait. 

We have all lost people that are precious to us.  The serenity and calmness that I felt while praying during Christine's online memorial on Monday was very special to me.  It was very cathartic for me, personally.

This new Forum is an excellent idea.

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2007, 10:11:37 pm »
I was originally thinking about a book of condolences or something like that, but that would require new coding I guess. The problem with using the forums is that the threads disappear soon, but thinking about it maybe it would be possible for someone to make a new thread for his or her loved one in a new section of the forums, then people would "sign" the thread. It would be the easiest and would not require any new coding.

This would be a "sign the book" forum, no exchanges allowed, I'm sure people would understand and respect that.

Milker.

/edited to add/ Well originally I also wanted this to be OUTSIDE of the forums, to have more visibility. Maybe an external link that would link to the forum would work too.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:21:01 pm by milker »
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 11:12:05 pm »
I'm all for any type of memorial, we must not forget those who have gone before us.   

I think it's a great idea.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2007, 01:10:44 am »
What a wonderful idea, Thunter Bunny. Although, I have not had anyone close to me pass from AIDS, it would be nice to have a place to remember them. I can also respect Newt's thoughts about it. It seems like Peter is good with it but I agree that it sucks that he doesn't have the manpower to get it accomplished in under a year if it was to happen. I'm not knocking him for that, he was honest about it and wasn't trying to blow smoke up Milker's ass. Too bad there isn't anyone on the forums that was skilled at this type of thing and could volunteer to help get it done. If I was skilled like that I certainly would because I don't have anything but time on my hands. :-\
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline bear60

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 10:00:49 am »
Having lost two friends this year, your proposal gets my two thumbs up Tim.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2007, 01:11:30 pm »
I also support Tim's proposal for a more visible and permanent space on this web site for memorials / remembrances.  If this is something to be done outside of / in addition to the forums, I can certainly see that it would take some time to implement.  It seems to me that it would be worth the wait.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 10:53:28 pm »
Tim,

I think its a great idea support it wholeheartedly.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2007, 08:12:23 am »
Timtim, this is a wonderful idea.  It might take up to a year, but the memories of the people I've (we've) lost won't fade.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2007, 09:28:18 am »
Let me clarify my PM statement to Milker (which I wish he had asked me about first before publicly reprinting -- it was a Private Message, Milker..  ;))..

Milker had asked me about the creation of a separate content area on AIDSmeds/POZ, kind of like the various "in memoriam" websites that exist now, and it was that idea that would take a huge amount of effort by our tech team.  If we simply create a new forum here that is designated as an "In Memoriam" forum, but with a different set of rules and guidelines than our other forums, we could do that in 2 minutes, once we develop the necessary rules and guidelines.

Peter

P.S.  I like this idea a lot!

Offline bear60

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2007, 11:04:02 am »
Thanks Peter, this will be a great addition to the forums.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 08:29:59 pm »
I'm not usually one to 'resurrect' old threads......but just wondered what was happening on this proposal.   I am in a mood to "memorialize" this evening....
in fact, I've been trying to compose a list of everyone I know who died because of AIDS.

Alan
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:38:54 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2007, 02:52:44 pm »
I think it is a wonderful idea and needs to be implemented.

J
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 05:50:23 pm »
Having lost trace of my grief and wishing I could express it more often and FEEL it, I applaude your idea and think of it as very compassionate.

In a way I have my own memorial site at home. On one of my bookshelves I have placed pictures, objects, postcards, dried flowers... all from people that have left this world and were close to me.
I pay tribute often by just saying hi or sit in front of it in silence and reread their final posts or cards to me, or look at their pictures, or hold their watch, or necklace....

I really like the idea sweet Timmy.

Hermie
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 05:51:59 pm by heartforyou »
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 08:30:07 pm »
I would gladly add my son Justin and my late husband Michael to an AIDS memorial.
I think your idea is lovely.

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2007, 01:29:44 am »
What a wonderful idea... I think this would be an awesome addition to our site and allow us to appropriately remember our loved ones.  I hope this happens soon!

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2007, 06:36:43 pm »
That's an excellent idea, Tim!

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2008, 02:45:56 pm »
I'm not usually one to 'resurrect' old threads......but just wondered what was happening on this proposal.   I am in a mood to "memorialize" this evening....
in fact, I've been trying to compose a list of everyone I know who died because of AIDS.

Alan

Big, Fat BUMP.

So what's happening with this, eh?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2008, 04:32:15 pm »
fully support this idea,  full marks to tim xxx
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2008, 05:41:38 pm »
I'm going to use this thread to memorialise my son Justin. His birthday would have been on the 29th.

For the young man who will always be 4 years old to me.

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b324/Winiroo/?action=view&current=JustinsMovie.flv

Offline Robert

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2008, 06:27:07 pm »
hey thumper....

I think this has just fallen through the cracks.  There is certainly no opposition, that's for sure.

Why don' you send a PM to the Powers that Be (Ie....tim and peter) and ask them, in that southern, genteel manner of yours, to sh#t or get off the pot.  In other words, open  a new forum.

and while they're at it, they can move Winirro's  message over there to give it the solemnity and respect it so richly deserves.

robert

Offline Robert

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2008, 06:39:33 pm »

~~~~  PS   ~~~~~

I just watched Justin's movie.  It's 5 STARS!!!!!!!

A MUST SEE.   

And it certainly does not deserve to be hidden somewhere in the middle of some thread. 

It's a true memorial that belongs in its own forum

robert

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2008, 06:40:27 pm »
Actually, I just reported Winniroo's post to the Moderators along with a message that I was offering it as a gentle reminder.

Taking them directly to her post seemed as an effective a plea for the cause as any.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2008, 06:59:39 pm »
Thank you guys.  :)

I hope I don't get in trouble for hijacking this thread LOL

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2008, 07:02:04 pm »
Thank you guys.  :)

I hope I don't get in trouble for hijacking this thread LOL

Please, girl.  That's exactly the point of this thread.  :)

(although your link moved me to tears in less than 30 seconds)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2008, 07:04:39 pm »
I'm touched. Without him I likely wouldn't have known my status until I was very ill.
I miss him more than words can say.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2008, 04:38:44 pm »
Done.  It's right below the Activism Forum.

Sorry for the delay -- things have been crazy this month.

Ann will create a welcome thread soon, but you can start posting threads now.  If you have ideas for the welcome message, please PM Ann.

Thanks,

Peter

Offline Iggy

« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2008, 05:06:53 pm »
Peter,

Thank you for doing this.  I think it is a service not only to the memory of those we lost, but to all that we are still dying.

Tim,

Thank you for starting this idea.

I have one suggestion which I admit is just a gut thing, but can we make one sticky thread that we can list the names of AIDSMEDS specific members?  Somehow it just feels appropriate to always keep them at the top of the list.

Thanks again to both of you.

Mark

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.