Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:21:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 377
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Mouth Problems  (Read 9421 times)

Offline thedarkknight

Mouth Problems
« on: February 15, 2007, 08:30:40 am »
Hello to all, I have been pointed in the direction of this site by somone who at one point was a regular visitor. I wanted a risk assesement about something. In October, I had a friend over which resulted in us fooling around together, with heavy touching (no risk there) and oral sex. At one point we were going to have intercourse and as she was sat over me I reached over to get some protection and she attempted to go ahead with out, there was MINIMAL entry, no real penetration but it freaked me out and I pushed her away. Now I am aware of the no risk of oral sex on my part, no fluid from her would be able to get into my mouth but I wondered if the heay touching coupled with it could posibly have any effect, bringing any fluid to the fore perhaps? Anyway, at the time I thought nothing of it, and that was that. This was on Oct 16th and I had actually scheduled an appointment to get tested for Nov 8th anyway as it was getting on for a year since my last test. Took that test and no problems, all negative. Anyway, an oral encounter with an ex happened at the very start of december, all well and good, great in the knowledge that I had behaved well sexually speaking and had a clear test under my belt, and I ejaculated in her mouth. Move on to the Christmas party (Dec 12th) a couple of weeks later and extremely drunkenly (unfortunately) took someone home and oral had protected sex with her, no worries there although I was a little disheartened to find blood on the pillow where my hand had been. Which leads me to wonder what if some got in my mouth during oral?

Flash forward to mid december and the ex from the start of Xmas gets quite poorly with a bad chest problem and feeling generally ill,  bad fever,no real problems with being blocked up etc, and a manic cough. Return home for xmas and visit an old girlfriend and we end up having sex (Dec 22nd), but condom breaks, turns out wasn't latex, she is allergic so uses some other form, was Durex still but still a problem. Discuss any potential problems and she let me know she had tested negative three months ago, with no incidents in between so Im happy. My worry though is for her, as two weeks later lo and behold she comes down feeling rubbish and almost the same as the previous ex, which worries me as I have been fine....

The biggest problem for me though, is now my mouth. As the Xmas holidays neared, I started to develop dental problems, maybe just a couple of months after my original encounter in my very long story. I have always had a problem with my gums bleeding for a while when I brush my teeth. However, very quickly, and from no problems with my teeth previously, my gums have experienced recession, and sometimes the top tooth to the right of my middle pair bleeds a lot for no reason, and has started to disappear. It also feels like my teeth in genral feel different, almost fitting together differently. However no real problems like that single tooth on my top jaw. What concerns me is that I floss, brush and use mouthwash regularly, yet all these problems have come on very quickly. After visiting my dentist, he is absolutely stumped, noting that I have a pocket (a very deep one) in my gum at the offending tooth and he can't understand it all. The matching one on the left also feels a little thinner as well. It should be everywhere given the damage. I have also experienced nocturnal bleeding. My age is also a puzzle, this has happened at 21.

Now, like an idiot I couldnt resist checking the net and I stumbled across NUP, a mouth problem that when found in a otherwise healthy person can be indacitive of possible HIV infection. I know that I might be jumping the gun, but it states that rapid disintegration of bone structure and gum recession are signs and from having no mouth problems to a mouth that feels very different is frightening me. The only things I have not experienced is the fetid bad breath, and the deep jaw pain. I wonder that a clean and scale I had at Xmas, and the reccomendation of Cordosyl medicated mouthwash to deal with the gums bleeding has maybe interupted the process and it has not gone all the way?

I appreciate what I must sound like and my worry is that any of the encounters I have mentioned, prinicapally the first and the encounter with blood at xmas may have caused a potential HIV infection? The first is now long past three months, the other will be in approximately a month but It is now starting to really get me down, and I would just like some input from the experts and maybe some reassurance? Namely from your goood selves. I have been reading other posts and the recomendation was in my view bang on the money. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 09:00:14 am by thedarkknight »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Mouth Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 09:29:00 am »
Nothing which you are reporting is in any way suggestive of HIV infection. But then you also need to know that neither the presence or the absence of symptoms is ever the way to know your accurate HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the appropriate time will give you that answer.

The only incident which is of some concern is the earlier one in which it's not clear to what degree you penetrated your partner during what otherwise was essentially foreplay. I think transmission would have been highly unlikely in that circumstance, even IF she is HIV+. But if you are seriously uncertain about how far you penetrated, then I would say get tested at 3 months past that incident.

All of the other activities are risky only in theory. In the real world of HIV transmission doesn't happen through those things.

As to your oral problems, that's something to sort out with your dentist and perhaps a periodentist. It is certainly not anything HIV-specific nor do I see it as putting you at risk in relation to the activities you have mentioned.

It's good to know that you regularly get tested for HIV. Since you seem to be quite active sexually that's a wise program on your part. I'll also add that you avoid excessive drinking. Mixing that with casual sex has too often proved to be a dangerous combination.

I do expect you will test negative if you decide to re-test at 13 weeks after that earlier incident.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:56:05 pm »
Hey Andy, thanks for your reply, I appreciate your comments. Through the course of the day I worked up the courage to ask my friend about the original incident, she said that I shouldn't worry, as she has given blood twice since then and no problems. She wanted to point out that she didn't give blood to make sure there was any problem, just something she regularly does. She also pointed out that she doesn't recall any penetration either so that's a plus. So I guess that is a weight off my mind. Still a bit unsure but can't argue with the facts or your knowledge so thankyou. Will retest at the 3month mark since my last encounter, just to make sure all is well.

And I echo your comments about sex and drinking, they are a bad combination.

Darned If I know what the source of my teeth problems are. Anyone care to weigh in? Is it uncommon?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 02:58:05 pm by thedarkknight »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »
Darned If I know what the source of my teeth problems are. Anyone care to weigh in? Is it uncommon?

dark,

We cannot possibly diagnose the problem with your teeth and it would be remiss for any of us to attempt to do so. Go to your dentist, that's what they're there for.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 05:51:55 pm »
Thank you Ann, I appreciate the comments, I do regularly use condoms, and as I said in my original post I do get checked regularly. As for the comment about my teeth I did think after posting the query I perhaps shouldn't, as you guys, knowledgable as you are, are not dentists. My apologies. I will try to relax for now until 3 months past my last encounter, which is nearly up. Will hang around and perhaps let you know what the problem was in the end after seeing my dentist again next week. Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 07:51:07 pm »
Good luck with your test. I expect you to come out ok as far as HIV is concerned.

Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 01:58:27 pm »
Sigh, I apologise for doing this, and I have thought long and hard all day about whether to post or not, but I am struggling to get through my wait time and rather foolishly have looked up my problems on the internet, and low and behold have stumbled upon research that suggests my dental problems may be indicative of infection. I just need a little encouragment and help I think, this place helps so many people and I need some I feel. My jaw has started to ache lately, and my problem with my tooth (so I have read) matches up with something call NUP? Something assoicated with potenetial HIV infection? My only saving grace is that I have read that this usually happens in sever immunosupression, which I take to mean later stages of infection, not just a few months?

What worries me is that (if you read my previous posts) is that Im sure the girl in question tried to sit on me when I was reaching for a condom, which she says didn't happen, but im sure there was minimal contact :(

What with her saying her giving blood regularly and twice since said incident with no problems I should be ok right? Trust me to turn on the TV the next day and see a news report on how there has been a problem with blood donors blood causing HIV infection here in the UK.

My waiting is up on the 26th, then I can get a conclusive test. My jaw aching has set me off worrying as it is typical of this NUP? Sorry for this guys, I need some help.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 03:56:55 pm »
dark,

The type of dental problems you are talking about do not happen in primary infection. Go see your dentist - we cannot diagnose your mouth problems and neither can you. By the way, an aching jaw is most usually caused by clenching your jaw while stressed out, or grinding your teeth at night for the same reason. Go see your dentist.

It's highly unlikely you have become infected and I'm fully expecting a negative result.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 09:16:11 pm »
Hey Ann, thank you so much for the reply, it has helped a lot, I am half tempted to make that appointment tomorrow, just to ease my mind. I hate that I am in this place right now, it is hurting my outlook on life. I will continue to post here if only to have your help for the next few weeks. Im nearly there, I just need a little guidance. Please reply. Regards, thedarkknight x

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2007, 06:49:32 pm »
Hello all, just having a bit of a low night, the girl from the original post who I had the condom breakage with at Xmas just mentioned that she is going to get tested on Monday cause her housemates are so she figured she may as well. Its worrying me cos imagine if she got a positive result like that? Just feeling a little low right now, and I think I am going to have to go get a test beforehand so as to make sure. Would only be a week shy of my 3 months anyway, and I know what you have all said, but it is difficult to actually book the test nonetheless.

thedarkknight xxx

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 12:22:10 pm »
I went and booked the test today, if anyones interested. It is on Friday afternoon, 12pm UK time. Scared but feel somewhat in control. Heres hoping.

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 11:24:59 am »
Went and had my test done today, get results a week on monday. Gonna be a long week  :( x

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 07:43:35 am »
Hello all, just checking in, got to collect my results on Monday and just feeling a little low,  Its been difficult really, taking the wait as ebst I can. Staying away from the net too. Just need to get though the weekend I guess. Got to ring and get my results this time, and I am at home for the next few weeks as opposed to where Im currently based, if I am required to come in its gonna be a trek and a terrifying wait  :'(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 08:06:32 am »
All of the stuff going on in your head notwithstanding, I expect you to test negative.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 08:13:24 am »
Thank you Andy, I appreciate the post, just need an outlet, and trying to keep my head on my shoulders. Sorry if I did wrong by posting in the other thread, read the transmission stuff and a lot more so thought I could do some good instead of taking other peoples time on my worries. Apologies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2007, 09:44:28 am »
OK, apology for well-intentioned action duly noted.

Just get busy in your own life with what is important and of interest to you. It will help.
Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 10:53:42 am »
Thanks Andy, I have just been juggling and playing with my Diabolo for the first time in a while, took my mind righ toff it, Im gonna head to the gym in a lil while, keep busy like you said.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Way to go! Good re-direction of that energy!
Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 03:35:04 pm »
Thanks Andy, was great, was completely off my mind, same again tomorrow and sunday and Im there I guess  :) Doing my best...

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2007, 03:41:53 pm »
One more night of sleep, if i can make myself do it, then its results time at 12.30pm UK time....so so nervous :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2007, 04:59:45 pm »
Being nervous is a part of the deal. I expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2007, 05:56:13 pm »
Thanks Andy, it's good of you to keep helping me out. I swear that I am that nervous its making my hands and feet itch, like fire! Had a nice day just sat in the sun doing nothing for a change, just reading a book. I can't decide whats worse, going to wait for my results, or ringing for them. Not particularly enjyable either way really.

Thanks for the replying by the way, it is helping a lot.

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2007, 08:09:34 am »
All negative Andy!!!! Fantastic :) Im so pleased!!! For everyone else, it really is true what the guys n gals on this site say, looking up my dental problems were almost a match for what I thought was an infection, and it wasnt. Symptoms mean nothing. Fantastic :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:13 am »
Congratulations on that very happy news!

Include in your celebrating that you always practice safer sex with condoms.

Big cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thedarkknight

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2007, 09:47:48 am »
Thank you Andy, I said to myself earlier I am not gonna get into any sort of position like this again earlier on. Was so hard to ring the number, was just sat in the garden looking at my phone but I did it :) Great stuff.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.