Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:34:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 635
Total: 635

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Thread  (Read 119989 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: COVID-19 Thread
« Reply #350 on: June 11, 2020, 08:53:36 pm »

Covid cases/ Deaths by county ( Here in Florida )

https://www.wesh.com/article/florida-coronavirus-map/32128507#

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #351 on: June 12, 2020, 12:07:40 am »
We went into a bar that we have been going to for the last 40 years.  They reopened this past Friday.

There was NO social distancing, no one except us was wearing mask, bartenders had no mask and no gloves.

The least they could do...

Just kidding Ray, you did right thing to stay away.. indoors poses the biggest risk.

I myself have attended protest here in Portland. I wore my face condom and stayed clear as best I could. Surprisingly these young people gave eachother some space and most wore mask, but the closer you got to the speakers, the closer people were to eachother. I'm not worried since we were outdoors, we stood towards the back of the crowds.

And although the numbers are climbing here in Oregon too, tomorrow we'll be in phase 1 of reopening. I really just want to head to the thrift stores, get rid of and find some stuff.. safely ofcourse.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #352 on: June 12, 2020, 05:15:10 pm »
The least they could do...

Just kidding Ray, you did right thing to stay away.. indoors poses the biggest risk.

I really just want to head to the thrift stores, get rid of and find some stuff.. safely ofcourse.

;D ;D

We're Big thrift store junkies.  ;D  Always into "stuff"  :D  They have been opened here for the last 3 weeks or so, and for the most part, have been run very well. For the longest time they weren't accepting any donations.

On a sadder note.  The " Wagon Wheel flea market"  in Pinellas Park has completely shut down, and will not reopen. This place has been in operation for 55 years. This was an enclosed flea market with an adjoining outdoor flea market.

It sits on prime real estate . So I am sure there will be some expensive condos going up in that space soon.

Another icon gone !! 

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/06/10/wagon-wheel-flea-market-closes-after-55-years

Take care and stay well----- Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #353 on: June 13, 2020, 02:49:16 pm »
Just a week after bars opening, 3 bars in St. Petersburg test positive for Covid-19 and are temporarily closed.

St. Pete bars the Galley, Park & Rec and the Avenue Eat + Drink close after employees test positive for COVID-19.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/12/the-galley-staffers-test-positive-for-covid-19-st-pete-bar-temporarily-closes/

This is what happens, when you have a governor, kissing Trumps ass. !!

And This:

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/09/st-petersburg-summer-camp-closed-after-positive-covid-19-tests/

And this:

https://www.tbnweekly.com/coronavirus/article_ea901336-ad92-11ea-ad35-836a5ba67072.html

And this :

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/ap-online/2020/06/13/florida-coronavirus-cases-rising-as-state-reopens

Ray
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:53:48 pm by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #354 on: June 13, 2020, 03:12:17 pm »

Pinellas County Commissioners had an emergency meeting today, because of Covid cases at 1:00, but as of yet, I have not heard of any new rulings.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #355 on: June 13, 2020, 07:00:47 pm »
[Sorry Jim, couldn't figure out how to post in the coronavirus thread, so I assume you'll  move this over there.]

I got tested yesterday, for no real reason other than I had a very very mild cold about five weeks ago. Otherwise, absolutely asymptomatic. They called this morning and said I had a positive result, with low levels of the virus in my system. The imputation is that I have either just got the virus or, more likely, that I got it sometime over the past couple of weeks.

I wasn't upset or scared; I'm in very good health. Yet the feeling was one like I got when I tested positive in 2006, something like "The virus is in you." I felt guilty for "being so stupid as to get this," the same way I felt about getting it in 2006, despite everything I knew about hiv transmission. In the case of coronavirus, I have been super-vigilant, and it baffles me how I got it. And so I feel stupid and that people will look at me as being stupid, even though I know they won't.

Then, to top things off, I emailed a friend (just a friend, nothing more) with whom I had a very safe-distance walk last week, to tell him what was up and that it would likely be a good idea to test. There wasn't any "I'm sorry to hear the news" or "Are you okay?" What I got was, "It's been 8 days since we had a walk, and I was wearing a mask, and I'm feeling well, so I'm sure I don't have it, but I'll get tested." And then more of that.

And this goes back to my hiv diagnosis. When I told the guy I was seeing that I had tested positive, he said "You're kidding?" and he got right onto his cell phone and called his GP. I was stunned. Then he quickly ditched me. He apologized months later, and I get that he was freaked out etc. But still.

Anyway, today's result wasn't hard to take; but it's sure stirred up a lot of history. Sigh.

Cal

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #356 on: June 13, 2020, 10:54:22 pm »
Calvin,

Sorry to hear about your Covid test result. What is your Doctor telling you to do at this point ?

Are you currently in isolation, and are they ordering another test for you soon.  Don't feel guilty about getting this result.  There are many others that are positive for Covid, and simply are not aware of it, because they are asymptomatic.

The main thing is taking care of yourself., and staying in touch with healthcare professionals, and getting additional test done when required.

Are you monitoring your temperature daily. ?

Take care of yourself-----Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline virgo313

« Reply #357 on: June 13, 2020, 10:57:36 pm »
Back here business has started back. However, cinemas/attractions/pubs is still close.

Over these 3 months, owners have seen government coming down hard once there are “clusters” of cases, like half a dozen. Army will come without warning with barbs wires and lockdown these area. So, business owners is paying attention to social distancing as well as getting their staff tested. Almost everyone wears a mask.

Business needs to open back. Most important is that there cannot have people challenging these strict “rules”.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline virgo313

« Reply #358 on: June 13, 2020, 11:10:48 pm »
Hi Calvin,

Don’t think u need to fell you hv done something wrong. You just caught covid not knowing it is there during ur daily routine. It can happen to anyone. Covid will recover & it is not like HIV where we need to pop pills till the end. Most will be cured in weeks. Lots people who are covid+ just need to follow treatment & just isolate for few weeks. Then they are back to work. Just bear for a while. Tks

Offline harleymc

« Reply #359 on: June 14, 2020, 03:29:32 am »
Take care Calvin

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #360 on: June 14, 2020, 09:55:57 am »
You've got nothing to blame yourself about, many are walking around with it unknowingly. Sorry you caught it. Hope it stays mild for you.

On the bright side, once you're over it, you got the highly prized antibodies.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #361 on: June 14, 2020, 10:11:13 am »
The night before the scheduled opening, the governor says nope. I feel bad for restaurant owners who blew money on supplies.

https://katu.com/amp/news/local/gov-brown-puts-hold-on-approving-county-reopening-applications

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #362 on: June 16, 2020, 12:26:04 am »
Thanks for the supportive comments, all.

So guess what? I'm not corona positive. I got a call the next day; they re-tested the swab and it came up negative. So I had to go back. Second test, negative. Did a third test today, and I'll get the result tomorrow, but I'm sure it'll be negative.

My health has been perfect through all of this, not a single covid symptom. What baffled me was how I could have gotten it -- and now at least I know I've been doing all the "do" things, to make sure I don't. What a rollercoaster.

Warning! If you get the test, be prepared for the swab. Waaaaaay down the nasal cavity. Someone joked, "Good thing they didn't swab another orifice you have." Trust me, I've had rectal swabs and this nasal swab was was worse, stunningly uncomfortable!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #363 on: June 16, 2020, 08:32:47 am »

So guess what? I'm not corona positive. I got a call the next day; they re-tested the swab and it came up negative. So I had to go back. Second test, negative. Did a third test today, and I'll get the result tomorrow, but I'm sure it'll be negative.

Warning! If you get the test, be prepared for the swab. Waaaaaay down the nasal cavity. Someone joked, "Good thing they didn't swab another orifice you have." Trust me, I've had rectal swabs and this nasal swab was was worse, stunningly uncomfortable!

That's GREAT !!

I am having in about another hour my telehealth phone call with my ID doctor. ( Practitioner).

The last 4 days or so, I have had minor on again off again headaches, with dry coughing, and minor sore throat issues, and some shortness of breath. No production of phlegm during the coughs.  Been monitoring my temperature, and there's no problem there. Some body aches. My Chest feels a little tight, and I've been taking mucinex, for about 4 days now.

Anyway,  I am going to ask her about possibly getting tested, or if she feels that it's necessary.

GOOD LUCK, with your third test results !!

Take care---Ray  8)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #364 on: June 16, 2020, 09:58:47 am »
Hey all,..

Just spoke with my id Doctor.  She also suggested that I get a covid test done.  I have secured messaged my Primary care, and will receive further instructions or advise as soon as he responds.  I believe I can have this test done at the VA clinic, or Bay Pines VAMC. They have tents set up, outside of both these facilities.

Will let you know more later--

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Mindless

« Reply #365 on: June 17, 2020, 11:07:16 am »
Maybe I’m in a bad mood today but I’m starting to get annoyed by some of the titles of these articles. I mean, why put this subhead to the article title:

Article title and subhead:
HIV Emerges as Risk Factor for COVID-19 Death in South Africa

Having an undetectable viral load did not change the risk, which nevertheless was not as severe as the risk tied to diabetes.

Text in the body:
The researchers noted that almost all those with HIV who died of COVID-19 had other health conditions. About half had diabetes, and approximately half had high blood pressure

Find this annoying... sorry, definitely in a bad mood but this kind of information doesn’t help. Will stop reading it for a while.

Source: https://www.poz.com/article/hiv-emerges-risk-factor-covid19-death-south-africa
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #366 on: June 17, 2020, 02:53:36 pm »
UPDATE:

Had the call today , to go to Bay Pines VA hospital, tomorrow at 9:30 to get a covid test.

Noticed more headaches today, no temp increase. Still have dry coughing.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #367 on: June 18, 2020, 10:50:53 am »

Had my covid test done today, about an hour ago, at the VA hospital in St. Pete.

My body temp was normal, blood pressure was normal, the doctor listened to my heart and lungs, and said the lungs sound very clear, !

They used two swabs one swab went up the right nostril, and she twisted it 5 times, She then put that same swab up the left nostril and repeated.

She then took the second swab and repeated the procedure for both nostrils.

She then handed me the CDC sheet of instructions, And told me that my primary care, or infectious disease care would call me within 24-36 hours.

They were very well organized today, and my total time there was about 20 minutes.

So now,  it's wait and see what the results are.

The swabs didn't bother me too much at all, but afterwords I could feel it.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #368 on: June 19, 2020, 02:07:20 am »
So what happened?

My third test was negative, so that's good.

They swabbed both nostrils? Wow. Maybe they swabbed you differently? She put the swab waaaaay down and my body instinctively pushed back....but I was standing, so I arched my back.... She was going "sorry sorry sorry" (like a good Canadian  :D ).

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #369 on: June 19, 2020, 11:03:47 am »
So what happened?

My third test was negative, so that's good.

I still have not received the test results yet. And seeing that its Friday, I wonder if it will take to Monday to get the results, if I hear nothing today. I was sitting down with head tilted back for the swabs.

;D  She told me I handled the swabs like a real trooper. She said a lot of people have problems with it, but I barely felt it.  She told me she was up in the nasal cavity very deep.

I did have some pressure around my nose, and face, for about an hour after the test, but no big deal.

Congrats on the third test as negative !!

I have another telehealth appointment with my primary on Monday at 8:30.  They notified me of that yesterday afternoon.

Otherwise, I am doing pretty well, taking all into consideration !  :)

Stay well----Ray  8)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #370 on: June 19, 2020, 11:14:50 am »
Because of the spike in cases, Mandatory face mask required in Tampa, in public places, Effective 5:00 this afternoon. It is also required in ST. Petersburg @ 5:00 today.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/2020/06/18/mayor-jane-castor-announces-mandatory-mask-order-for-tampa/

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/tampa-bay-and-florida-have-largest-daily-surges-new-coronavirus-cases"

" The state also saw its largest daily increase, with 3,207 new cases – the first time it topped 3,000 in one day. This brings the total to 85,926.

Ray

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:17:35 am by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #371 on: June 19, 2020, 07:42:02 pm »
Because of the spike in cases, Mandatory face mask required in Tampa, in public places, Effective 5:00 this afternoon. It is also required in ST. Petersburg @ 5:00 today.

We've also had this same announcement here in Portland coalescing with the first phase of reopening. But there will be no enforcement if you refuse to wear a mask, except businesses can refuse service to people for not wearing one.

It will be interesting to see how this will all pan out. I still see people walking into supermarkets without them.. and they appear to be of a particular type, the defiantly ignorant.

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/face-masks-mandated-in-several-oregon-counties-effective-june-24/283-b33892a5-c6c7-4273-9b83-a3f3a0fb1131

Meanwhile in Oklahoma tomorrow this..

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #372 on: June 19, 2020, 08:31:17 pm »

I just sent that image out to about a half dozen people !! I wonder how many will be in the hospital in a week or two...

RAY

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #373 on: June 20, 2020, 07:22:10 pm »

Another record broken in Florida today.  4,049 Covid cases in a single day (Saturday)

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/coronavirus/2020/06/20/ongoing-coronavirus-coverage

I still have not received my results yet from my Covid test done on  Thursday.

Patiently waiting.....

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #374 on: June 22, 2020, 09:55:43 am »
UPDATE 6/22/20

Received my result this morning for my Covid test that I did last Thursday.

Result :   NOT DETECTED !! SO I was very pleased and happy about that.

However, I am still dealing with shortness of breath, dry cough, and muscle aches.

I spoke with my primary care a little while ago by phone.

So this is what we are going do.

1--- Decrease atorvastantin from 40mg to 20 mg. I've been on 40 mg ( From 10mg) of atorvastatin for about a week and a half. This may explain the muscle aches, and soreness. The increase in the statin, was because my  total cholesterol had jumped to 271

2. Since I was diagnosed with COPD about 7 years ago, I have never been retested. . Seven years ago the COPD was so mild that nothing was prescribed. I haven't smoked in over 20 years. But was previously a heavy smoker, for quite a few years. COPD does not go away, and only gets worse, over time.

3-- The Doctor decided to send me  a box of inhalers to try out for the shortness of breath.  He also ordered another Pulmonary test done, to determine, if my COPD has increased and may be part the issues I am having.

Along with the Mitral heart valve issue, I am such a freaking mess !!  :P Almost 69 years old, with HIV for 35 years. Blood pressure medication, cholesterol medication, yada , yada, ...   ::) Another reality is hitting me again. !

The main thing is that currently I am negative for Covid, which was my biggest concern. It looks as though all the mask protection, and social distancing, hand washing,  we're doing is keeping Ed and myself safe from Covid at this time.

I may have mentioned this before, but we decided to stop dining in at restaurants, about a week ago.  It's just not worth the risk. We will continue to support our favorite restaurants, but will only have curbside pickup, or home delivery.

We continue to refuse to go into any of our favorite  bars at this time, because none of them are following CDC guidelines.Everybody in these places where NO masks, and there is no social distancing,.. And it's hard for me to believe they are even sanitizing properly.

The mandatory face masks policy, is not in effect for Clearwater, Fl. At least for the time being, but that may change shortly.

Went to Sams Club the last week, and bought another 50 disposable face masks. So we're fine there. They were about 25.00  dollars cheaper, than what I paid about 6 weeks ago.

We're about to go down to the pool to take some laps, and sit in the Hot tub for a while. You never know, if the county may shut down condo community pools again, because of the spike. It won't surprise me if that call is made.

Just this minute, I  received a call from Bay Pines,  The Pulmonary test is scheduled for September 24th.  That's the earliest they can get me in, due to the current Covid conditions.

Stay well everyone --- Ray  8)

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:58:26 am by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #375 on: June 23, 2020, 09:29:54 pm »
Pinellas County, Florida Commission Approves Mask Mandate, Effective June 24. I knew this was going to happen, should have happened sooner.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/2020/06/24/pinellas-county-commission-approves-mask-mandate--effective-july-24

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #376 on: June 24, 2020, 03:37:35 am »
UPDATE 6/22/20

Received my result this morning for my Covid test that I did last Thursday.

Result :   NOT DETECTED !! SO I was very pleased and happy about that.

However, I am still dealing with shortness of breath, dry cough, and muscle aches.

Glad to hear you don't have the covid Ray.. and hoping you get rid of whatever that is that's ailing you.

Pinellas County, Florida Commission Approves Mask Mandate, Effective June 24. I knew this was going to happen, should have happened sooner.

They say if everyone wore a mask that we'd prevent transmissions by 80 to 85%, so yeah.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #377 on: June 24, 2020, 06:32:32 am »
Hi Ray,

Glad to hear you tested COVID negative, hope you feel better soon though.

@All

I had taken a break from COVID news and updates for my own wellbeing.

In Ireland, things are starting to unlock and the shops/stores are reopening and some people are queuing to buy stuff.

However, for myself, I have come to an unpopular conclusion. I don't miss standing around in queues wasting my time, or having to find a parking space or having my arse squeezed "by accident" or dealing with sometimes snotty coughy sneezy unwashed shop staff or their customers.

The sneeze guards are a good start, replacing staff where possible with machines would improve retail service though and be safer. The past few months I purchased nearly everything online from shoes, electronics, games, food shopping to a new Camara all in the comfort of my own home and will continue to do so, it's been an eye-opener.

With very few exceptions Shops/Stores can go the way of the dinosaur as far as I am concerned. Understand not everyone will feel this way and there are those currently who rely on shops but maybe the future will be different
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #378 on: June 25, 2020, 05:50:52 am »

With very few exceptions Shops/Stores can go the way of the dinosaur as far as I am concerned. Understand not everyone will feel this way and there are those currently who rely on shops but maybe the future will be different

I'm one of those who are not feeling your way. As it is, many small businesses have permanently closed due to Covid-19.. while big companies like Amazon have seen profits. With automation, lost of jobs, where are all these people going to work? Cities without restaurants and shops are cities without a character, without a soul.
With more ppl working from home, they'll be plenty of empty office space too.
No one traveling, means no tourist. Sounds like a dystopian future from a sci-fy I don't want to read.

Those kind of changes have a ripple effect too.. we're more interconnected than you might think. My guess is a lot of very bored, desperate ppl. Might disrupt those online orders.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #379 on: June 25, 2020, 07:37:12 am »
 :) That's grand, everyone's take away from this crisis will be different.

Cities without restaurants and shops are cities without a character, without a soul.

Places will always have restaurants, bars and some shops catering to the market that's left. I don't feel they create the character of a city/town, I would though agree that they can add or subtract from the character.

Point is if stores and the high street shops want my custom after COVID they are going to have to do something about the quality of service & staff. Does not mean all shop workers are bad, some are great I'm sure. Thing is I don't even mind paying extra, however, at this stage, I would rather see the Amazon's of the world take over the majority of the market.

The ripple effect, more IT jobs, Support workers, Software developers, Drivers, Engineers, Storage facilities and history is filled with examples of people throwing their wooden shoes so to speak along the way into new ways of doing things.

No one traveling, means no tourist. Sounds like a dystopian future from a sci-fy I don't want to read.

Yeah, it's hard at the moment for sure, however, I doubt somehow no travel or tourism is a permanent issue.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #380 on: June 26, 2020, 12:12:48 am »
I would though agree that they can add or subtract from the character.

That's my point, when much of the main street is lined with restaurants, cafes, shops and whatever... and many are forced to close, that's a lot of subtraction all at once.. that once thriving street becomes a very depressing place.

And what a coinkydink, those contemplating suicides get their very own number..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/23/politics/fcc-national-suicide-hotline/index.html

The ripple effect, more IT jobs, Support workers, Software developers, Drivers, Engineers, Storage facilities and history is filled with examples of people throwing their wooden shoes so to speak along the way into new ways of doing things.

I have no issues with innovations, I hope you are right and we're all headed to a wonderful post Covid utopia. But from my experience, every time we find ourselves in an economic realignment, the  gap   between     the     haves     and      have      nots       gets      ever       wider...         at least it does here in Amerikkka.

Protections from evictions and foreclosures are about up, and many here are still unemployed. I have my own theories on where we'er headed.. sure hope I'm wrong.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #381 on: June 26, 2020, 01:31:02 am »
 ;D "post Covid utopia"

That made me laugh, the world was generally a shithouse wherever people can be found before and will remain so after Covid if you ask me. Economic recessions are always hard I agree and recovery & growth in jobs will take time.

That's my point, when much of the main street is lined with restaurants, cafes, shops and whatever... and many are forced to close, that's a lot of subtraction all at once.. that once thriving street becomes a very depressing place.

Main streets will fill up again with time with remaining business, however, I don't see having fewer physical shops & stores overall as a long term problem, I see it as a long term improvement and we can do more useful things with space it frees up with jobs in other areas as mentioned.

I still think with very few exceptions Shops/Stores can go the way of the dinosaur.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #382 on: June 26, 2020, 11:27:00 am »
Talking about unemployment,ironically, I'll be working at least 2 months this year (seasonal jobs) and most other people on my island will remain unemployed until next summer.
The tragic thing is that,a young girl in Rhodes (9 years old),fainted because she was malnourished and her mother still unemployed without any money,because there's no tourism.
I just hope we only make it through the winter,our lives depend on the summer season and covid couldn't hit at a worse time for us.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #383 on: June 26, 2020, 12:00:52 pm »

New  record for Florida today.  9,000 new cases in a day.

As a result, Florida suspends consumption of alcohol in bars.

https://www.wptv.com/news/state/bars-in-florida-can-no-longer-serve-alcohol-state-official-announces

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline zach

« Reply #384 on: July 01, 2020, 03:40:23 pm »
I take sadistic pleasure from the PR trashing that Gilead is getting now. Exposed and called out for the evil corp they are

Pricing remdesivir equivalent to HIV meds and the public is outraged

Partisan politics made irrelevant by a viral reality. The hubris it took to gamble on reopening is mind boggling.

Human capital and allowable losses is all we are.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:44:16 pm by zach »

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #385 on: July 02, 2020, 12:12:55 pm »
10,000 plus cases here in Florida, in a single day.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases-florida/67-31b99493-ecf7-44df-8494-6727318ad668

I was listening to someone from Florida the other day, who said that by the time this is all over, Governor Di Santis, will have to change his name to Gov. Di'sastrous

Our friend who's father is in a nursing home here, reported 25 infected residents, and 15 infected staff members. The nursing home is in Clearwater. She was notified at home of the situation.

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #386 on: July 03, 2020, 10:52:19 pm »
10,000 plus cases here in Florida, in a single day.

My inlaw who lives in Tampa has cought the damn thing. So far it's been only fever, head and body aches... fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse.

And Oregon has just reported it's highest single day total at 375 yesterday.. while it dwarfs what you're dealing with in Florida, it's significantly higher than it's highest prior single day total of 278, bringing the grand total of confirmed infections statewide to 9,636.. lower than that 10k 1 day total in Florida. Mind you though our population is just a bit over 4.2 million, still our governor remained proactive throughout the pandemic to keep it from going way out of control.

Some of those sworn to "protect and serve" have failed us miserably by refusing to wear a mask after our governor ordered ALL to do so.. wonder where these pigs got that idea to own the lib governor🤔..
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/07/oregon-state-police-dont-wear-coronavirus-masks-as-they-patronize-corvallis-coffee-shop-despite-governors-order.html?

On a different note, I'm spending my Covid Independence Day weekend watching Hamilton on via Disney+, can't think of a more appropriate show for the day.
Happy🎆4th🇺🇸everyone..

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #387 on: July 04, 2020, 12:30:21 pm »
My inlaw who lives in Tampa has cought the damn thing. So far it's been only fever, head and body aches... fingers crossed it doesn't get any worse.

I am wishing your in-law the best, and a full rapid recovery. Hopefully it won't get any worse.

MEANWHILE,...

Florida broke another record on the 4th of July with 11,458 cases.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/coronavirus/2020/07/03/daily-coronavirus-coverage

Also,  6 of the 11 hospitals here in Pinellas County, Florida have no ICU beds available.

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/local/pinellascounty/six-pinellas-county-hospitals-have-zero-percent-icu-bed-availability/67-6157f6d0-d90b-420d-a815-fc1f5ed92fb1

We are hunkered down for the long haul !! Only going to the stores/ pharmacy when necessary. Clearwater beaches are opened, as other beaches are around the state. Its going to be a very rough next 2 to 3 weeks., and Governor Di'sastrous just doesn't get it. !  >:(

Ray

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:34:00 pm by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2020, 01:00:20 pm »

Some of those sworn to "protect and serve" have failed us miserably by refusing to wear a mask after our governor ordered ALL to do so.. wonder where these pigs got that idea to own the lib governor🤔..
https://www.oregonlive.com/coronavirus/2020/07/oregon-state-police-dont-wear-coronavirus-masks-as-they-patronize-corvallis-coffee-shop-despite-governors-order.html?

I guess some of these cops, are looking for a month long vacation in a ICU ward. Craziness !!  >:(

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline harleymc

« Reply #390 on: July 05, 2020, 09:30:40 pm »
From the other side of the world I'm finding the level.of politicisation around face masks is in the USA is astonishing.

So far in Australia there is only tepid support for mass public masking in Australia. One state is now recommending the practice, but it is only compulsory for health care workers in certain fields.

I'll take them up when I return to work. I've had a few days off with a non-covid respiratory infection. I can't afford any more time off work or to pick up another infection on the trains.

Offline Almost2late

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #392 on: July 12, 2020, 11:55:37 am »

Florida Breaks New Record With More Than 15,000 Coronavirus Cases:

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/coronavirus/2020/07/12/ongoing-coronavirus-coverage

And our do nothing governor, continues to do nothing. No Mask mandate.

Yesterday he made a comment that if Walmart can be open,   So can the schools.  >:(

Its a dire situation day by day here.

Ray ( Still Hunkering down )

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #393 on: July 14, 2020, 11:54:38 am »
Gov De'Santis.... (Di'Sastrous) of Florida, heckled and shamed yesterday:  VIDEO

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/ron-desantis-florida-heckled-coronavirus-us-press-conference-a9617581.html

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/coronavirus/2020/07/14/daily-coronavirus-coverage

More Than 9,100 New Coronavirus Cases Reported for Florida; Single-Day Biggest Jump in Deaths

Ray

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:00:37 pm by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2020, 01:21:50 am »
The news from Florida is concering indeed. Was talking to my team, some of them are  based near Orlando and they are naturally worried, same goes from the guys working in Pune, India where they have reentered lockdown due to the increasing COVID cases.

https://time.com/5867007/india-reimpose-lockdown-coronavirus-1-million/

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-hospitals-face-icu-bed-shortage-state-passes-300-000-n1233899

In the meantime here in Ireland things seem pretty stable, with only slight increases ,however, the government did announced they will be deffering stage 4 of reopening the nation given the recent trends. It means no mass gatherings and pubs, bars, hotel bars, nightclubs and casinos that don't serve food will remain closed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-ten-person-limit-put-on-house-gatherings-as-pubs-to-stay-shut-until-august-10th-1.4305203
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 01:45:02 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #395 on: July 17, 2020, 05:02:52 am »
Recently we opened borders with the UK to have tourists (the kind that drinks a lot and doesn't care) and im quite scared,since im about to restart work.
We already closed borders with Serbia after just one week of opening.

Offline virgo313

« Reply #396 on: July 17, 2020, 11:04:46 am »
You mention that ur community is facing a tough time due to they heavily earn from tourist. Perhaps opening could help them. As for fear that there may be imported new infection, I believe your government have some rules that tourist must follow. It is a difficult balance between worry & getting the economy going again.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #397 on: July 17, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »
The news from Florida is concering indeed. Was talking to my team, some of them are  based near Orlando and they are naturally worried, same goes from the guys working in Pune, India where they have reentered lockdown due to the increasing COVID cases.

Orlando, which is in Orange county, is one of the areas that are are getting a lot of covid results.

Currently in Orange county there are 22,753 cases.  And yet Greedy Disney has opened.!! ( Disney is in Orange county. There have been 750 new cases just since yesterday.

Interactive covid map:

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #398 on: July 17, 2020, 03:52:19 pm »

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/covid-19-ten-person-limit-put-on-house-gatherings-as-pubs-to-stay-shut-until-august-10th-1.4305203

The bar or pub re-openings, is what contributed here to the fast increase in cases. A lot of these bar owners, just unlocked the door, turned the lights on, and basically said lets get drunk. With NO social distancing .  Such a shame !

Of course, the bars have since then been shut back down.

The bars here in Florida were only open for 3 weeks before being shut down a second time.

Ray
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 03:54:39 pm by J.R.E. »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #399 on: July 18, 2020, 02:32:06 pm »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.