Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:43:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 729
Total: 730

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bad news: Neuropathy is back after switching meds  (Read 3951 times)

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
Bad news: Neuropathy is back after switching meds
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:35:24 am »
Hi:

well, just that. Only after 4 days of therapy.

Feeling shitty and dissappointed, hating the world, losing control, with a huge depression

Alex
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 02:02:19 am by LatinAlexander »
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Initial numbers : CD4-250 VL 3500
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Started HAART: Combivir+Efavirenz Aug 26 7:38 pm
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
February 17 Combivir stopped.
April 3 -07 : Started ddi+3tc+efavirenz...
Gay and positive (What a lack of Identity...:) )
Looking for my Ben....

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
Re: BAd news: Neuropathy is back after switching meds
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 01:25:38 am »
ok ok calm down. What was the therapy about?

Hate the world, I hate it too. What's going on?

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline allanq

Re: BAd news: Neuropathy is back after switching meds
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:29:06 am »
Alex,
Your signature line indicates that you just started ddI (Videx). Not a good drug for someone who has neuropathy! Both ddI and d4T (Zerit) are major causes of neuropathy. Are there any other drugs that you can substitute for the ddI? Have you had a genotype done?

I hope you'll get back to your doctor as soon as possible. Please let us know what happens.

Allan

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
Re: Bad news: Neuropathy is back after switching meds
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 02:06:51 am »
Guys n girls:

Yes. I am sensitive to all the meds.... I have tried AZT and now DDI. I am willing to replace for something that doesn't kill me in the process. I am thinking of Abacavir.... Any ideas on that? What else could I use?

Milker: I am having roblems again with Neuropathy. I had to swtich meds , because of that

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
First labs after HAART (Dec 04-2006) : CD4-432 VL-<40 (Undetectable)  cd4%=25.11%
Feb 08 2007 - Gradually stopping HAART cause of Myalgia. Protecting Efavirenz. Stopped Efavirenz, ahead with Combivir....
Looking for my Ben....

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 02:16:57 am »
Alex,

I honestly can not give you much advice here, but I want you to know that you are in my thoughts and I hope for the best. I have just started to deal with very mild neuropathy that may have been caused by zerit. Switched meds recently (3 months) and if it hasn't subsided it also hasn't progressed. Maybe more time will tell. Hard to be patient sometimes...

Just an idea: you seem to be very sensitive to treatments; I've read somewhere that acupuncture might help with neuropathy. Maybe you would react well to this? Worth trying?

Hope this helps,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
hi alex,
if same sort of pain/feeling as before, (rather than the kinda fluey/achey feeling you might get while meds once again go to work on the virus)  then I'd imagine that the ddI is aggravating the (prob not yet healed) inflammation etc caused by azt.
As a first step, you could try switching the ddI for abacavir or viread. These are both available in combination tabs too - abc + 3tc (kivexa/epzicom) or tfv + ftc (truvada) - but not sure of their availability where you are..?

Hope you get this sorted soon - I know you've had a miserable time of it lately.

kate

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 05:47:12 pm »
Guys n girls:

Yes. I am sensitive to all the meds.... I have tried AZT and now DDI. I am willing to replace for something that doesn't kill me in the process. I am thinking of Abacavir.... Any ideas on that? What else could I use?

Milker: I am having roblems again with Neuropathy. I had to swtich meds , because of that

Alex

I switched to Abacavir because of PN.  I didn't have any problems after that, and find myself oddly protective of my current regime since it took so many years to find the right combo. 
The other part of my cocktail is Viramune.  I tolerate that well also, except for terrible acid reflux.  I have to manage that with prevacid.  But, if that's the least of my worries with side effects, I'm happy to do so. 

I don't know your specific history, but I found that talking to my doc about other possibilities was helpful.  For so many years I felt like "side effect boy", and was incredibly relieved when I found a combo that worked but didn't hurt so much.

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 09:42:53 pm »
Hi Alex,

I know you have been having such a tough time with the meds and all and I hope things get better.  Please keep us in the know.  Thinking of you.

Luv,
Drew

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 09:49:43 pm »
Alex,

sorry I didn't really understand the first post. I hope you get better soon. Vent as much as you need. I don't have experience with this, so I'll let others who know better answer your questions. I just know that in here you can vent as much as you need, and get very good advice.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 05:05:51 am »
Hello Alex

What everyone else said about abacavir/tenofovir

Plus, myalgia and myopathy are known side effects of Sustiva and other drugs of the same kind (NNRTIs, eg Viramune).  Some people are genetically predisposed to process NNRTIs more slowly, esp. (but not exclusively) people with African genetic heritage.  This results in too high levels of Sustiva etc (sometimes 100 x the level needed...) and therefore increased side effects. Maybe it's a Sustiva issue....

PN tends to be (a) a burning sensation (b) symmetrical (same both sides) (c) start from the hands/feet and work up the limbs.  Myalgia (muscle/skeletal pain) tends to be more like an ache, strain, post-exercise feeling, though rather more intense eg perhaps flu-like.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline LatinAlexander

• Bogota, Colombia
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 08:51:27 am »
Thank you all

Newt: Do you have any eferences on the sustiva issue?. I do not feel the burning sensation, but it is symmetrical. I feel my calves extremely exhausted. So I think I fit better in the myalgia thing. . Plus I am thinking on switching to Abacavir

Thank you :)

Alex
Poz since Jul 19 2006
Looking for my Ben....

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 11:26:10 am »
Race affects absorption and clearance of efavirenz

Further genetic link to efavirenz absorption

Myalgia is an uncommon Sustiva (efavirenz) realted side effect noted eg in this AIDSInfo factsheet on efavirenz and in the Sustiva product label (PDF) (line 588).

If this pain is the effect of one of your drugs, it is impossible to discover/resolve which one except empirically (switching)....

-matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.