Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:01:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773265
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 320
Total: 322

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Broken Record .. I justed tested positive  (Read 7694 times)

Offline wow1969

The Broken Record .. I justed tested positive
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:42:31 pm »
LOL ... I couldn't figure out what else to name this thread but to just call it "I just tested positive" does sound like a broken record <G>

I tried to figure out why I'm posting this .... then realized that I'm posting for two primary reasons 1.)  To help me sort out my thoughts, and 2.) Because I need information and this seems like a place to start.

So here's my story. I tested positive three weeks ago.

For years I lived a wild life ... I won't tell you how many encounters I've had but there are small towns in Texas with smaller populations. However, I was always safe. Never had and STD or anything. Which at 38 years old is pretty amazing in my opinion. However, my friends and my Dr. kept telling me that if I didn't calm down I'd eventually catch something. I decided to start pursuing a monogamous relationship ... so that I would be safe. About two years ago I stopped the wild life (which did not include drugs just alcohol and sex). Last year I was tested four times before July to ensure I was negative so that when I entered into a relationship, I would be available on all levels.

Around August I met a guy and grew to love him. In September I was tested for the 5th time and was still negative. He assured me he was negative also. I decided to engage in unprotected sex with this guy. October came around and I knew that the relationship wasn't going to last. Despite the fact that I loved him we just weren't going to work. Strangely three weeks after that relationship ended, I met another guy.

It was magic from the first date. He was negative and I was negative and so we did the unprotected sex thing. Fastforward to the present.

I hadn't been tested until September. I was safe I thought. I had only had two sex partners and both were negative. Neither had strayed. So imagine my surprise when I went to my annual physical and turned up HIV positive. You know three years ago when I was a "wild child" I wouldn't have been happy about this diagnosis but I wouldn't have been surprised either. I'm not happy about it now and I AM surprised.

The first thing I did was contact my partner. The guy I met where it was magic turned out to be the "one". The one guy I thought didn't exist for me. We went and had him tested that night and the truth is he's negative. I"m soooo happy. That left one candidate. I called him and he said he was negative, blah blah, blah ... I knew it had to be him because if it wasn't I would have had to have been positive for over a year and evaded a total of six tests. Which I hardly find plausible.

So Guy 1 went and was tested and told me it was negative. Then he calls me and announces that he's been tested again and it's positive. I quizzed him and it turns out that he couldn't remember when he was tested before we met. The truth is he didn't know his status and lied. So what happens? I end up positive. I don't blame him completely. I was there and it wasn't rape. However, he is falling apart. He really didn't know so I've found myself becoming his support. He' actually on suicide watch and seeing a therapist every day.

So now onto Guy 2. He's negative. He also truly loves me. We moved in together three weeks before I found out. Before finding out that I was positive we had decided to have a commitment ceremony. Our families like eachother. We love eachother. Personalities click well. Sexually we are compatible. He's a gay mans dream. And he won't leave. I told him he was crazy for staying but he just refuses to go. In fact, he not only refuses to go he bought our rings last weekend. YAY!!!

Our sex life hasn't slowed down but it has changed. Condoms are now a part of everything. He's a bottom and I'm a top so he's at more risk than I am. (LOL did I just write that). We are going to HIV awareness training together. Next week I go and see the virologist to get my CD4 and VL counts. My partner is at risk still. He could still convert in the next three months but I hope he doesn't.

I realize that this may sound like I'm doing great. Actually I am. I've told my three best friends and my partner. They have been great. I have an ex from years ago who is positive and I've spoken to him a number of times. He's been a great support. My Dr. has been great as well. She says that given my physical results that I'm healthy. My WBC and RBC counts are good and there's nothing abnormal. Given this and the fact that my partner is negative (which is amazing considering our sex life) that my VL will probably be very low. All good things to hear.

We have been able to pinpoint when I converted to about December. It fits with the time line. My lymph nodes grew and grew. They are shrinking now.

As I said, I"m doing great. But I'm not thrilled by this. The first week I found out I cried and cried. I cried for a number of reasons. There is so much that is unknown about this disease. I couldn't figure out where it came from (the ex said he was negative at that point). I didn't and still don't know what my future holds. I'm worried about my job and insurance. I don't work in a gay friendly industry. (Guess it's a sign to find something new, which doesn't bother me to be honest. I don't like the job just the perks and salary).

However, what bothers me the most. What causes me the most heartache are the two most important people in my life. My partner and my six year old son.

My fear is that I won't see him grow up. I won't be there for his wedding. I won't see his kids be born. I will miss his life. That is what is freaking me out. I just don't know what to expect. That is the hardest thing for me in all this. That and the thought that I will cause my partner to convert or put him through hell if I get sick.

Offline komnaes

Re: The Broken Record .. I justed tested positive
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 11:59:07 pm »
However, what bothers me the most. What causes me the most heartache are the two most important people in my life. My partner and my six year old son.

My fear is that I won't see him grow up. I won't be there for his wedding. I won't see his kids be born. I will miss his life. That is what is freaking me out. I just don't know what to expect. That is the hardest thing for me in all this. That and the thought that I will cause my partner to convert or put him through hell if I get sick.

You've been through a lot my friend! It's hard to keep it together, and on top of that you're caring for your ex as well. Give yourself a medal but don't ignore your own health and emotional needs too.

As for your current partner, he sounds like a god-sent. We hear you, the fear about his next test result, but let's hope for the best. There are many of us here that have neg partners, gay and straight couples. It's very achievable and with the right attitude and supports and lots of condoms it shouldn't affect your relationship.

As for you son, none of us know how many more years we'll have with or without this bug. So just concentrate on the NOW and being a good dad for him! Let's this be a reminder that the times we share with our loved ones are precious. Don't spend times worrying that you would not see him doing this or achieving that - be there for him now.

We're here to listen and share, your little cyber community. Welcome.

Hugs, Shaun
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 12:00:57 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 08:21:28 am »
Welcome. We're glad to be here for you even though of course you'd rather not need to be here.

This is still very new and even shocking for you. That's going to wear off and gradually you're going to see that your life is going to go on. Yes, it will be different in some ways, but it will also be wonderful too. And you'll get to see more of your son's life than you may want to at times like when he's a teenager and may let you know what a jerk he thinks you are.

As far as protecting your partner's sero-negative status, many, many thousands of couples, including some who are members here, are having good lives in every way with their partners. Including sexually. And keeping their partners negative. You guys can do it too.

It is important that you have a good partnership with your doctor and that your numbers are monitored regularly.

You're always welcome here to ask questions, to discuss anything that's on your mind and to just hang out. Gradually you're going to learn whatever you need to know to stay healthy.

Just keep breathing and little by little things will fall into place again and your life is going to be ok.

Enjoy the day today.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »
Wow1969,

Welcome to the forums.  Sorry we had to run across each other like this, but I'm glad you found us. 

As far as being afraid of not seeing your son grow up.........I tested positive in 1989, and my daughter was 5 years old then.  She's now 24.  As long you have regular check-ups with your doctor, keep you labs monitored etc. there's no reason you won't see your son grow up. 

Again, welcome.  Hope to hear more from you.
  Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline wow1969

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:12:56 pm »
thank you ... that is very very encouraging to hear ...

Offline NewLife4Me

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 11:11:24 pm »
OUCH! what has happened to you must hurt like hell. I am truly sorry for that and as they say time heals and you become use to it.

As far as what you had to say about your son. Seventeen (18 in January)years ago I thought the same thing. I had a 10 month old son at home when I found out. Everything that you are thinking I thought I went as far as to go buy boxes of birthday cards and wrote his name and the year on each one. I had myself convinced that I would not even be there for his 1t day of school.... but I was. So I moved on to I won't see him start Jr High..... was there for that too. Never see him in high school, wrong again. Won't be there to take a ride with him behind the wheel, batting a 100 on being wrong.

I kept seeing everything as a negative and thought I would miss out on so much. I think in the long run if nothing else it has made me a better father (of course I have no idea what I would have been like neg.). I spend as much time as I can with my son and always have. We have grown from just being father and son to being friends and buddies, something that is truly amazing.

This year has not been good and I did not pay attention to my health, and ended up in the hospital for an extended stay. I always try to take something positive from every situation I am faced with. From this I took a positive attitude about the length of my life. I released that I lived 17 years thinking I would not be here for a mile stone in my sons life. Now my mindset has changed.

Next year my son will graduate from high school and I will be there for it proud as I can be. A year from this fall my son will start college and I Will be there to see a messy dorm room. In a few more years my son will graduate from college meet the woman of his dreams (and if it is a man instead that is great too) and get married. They will have babies and guess what ........ I will be there to be an incredible grandfather with babies on my knee spoiling them and sending them home to their mommy and daddy all sugared up and hyperactive.

I know right now trying to think positive is a very hard thing to do. Take it from someone who has been in your shoes, you will be there so don't waste 17 years of your life thinking you won't.

BTW, when I got home from the hospital a few days later when I had a little more strength I went in the closet and threw out a box of cards organized by......

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICHAEL"
"April 13th, 2009) etc.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 08:54:29 am »
NewLife4Me -- just wanted to welcome you to our forums!  If you get a chance, start a new thread and introduce yourself to the other members.  It's a great big family here, and I hope we can help you whenever you need it.

Peter Staley
Founder
AIDSmeds.com

Offline wow1969

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 01:52:55 pm »
Thanks NewLife .... It's good to hear that I'm more than likely going to see him grow up, get married, become president of the universe, etc.... <G>

Offline wow1969

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 08:12:11 pm »
Also, I started to do the same thing about cards ... What a melodramatic moment in my life LOL ... wonder how many more of those i will have?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.