Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 05:39:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is it dangerous in my situation??  (Read 6616 times)

Offline liveinfear

Is it dangerous in my situation??
« on: November 01, 2011, 11:37:26 pm »
Hello, I have a question: have you ever seen any case of hiv transmission through blood testing? I know it sounds weird, but several days back I did my blood test at local clinic in which their nurse using bare hands to withdraw blood of many clients at the same time. I know they do not follow right process in which they have to wash their hands and wear new gloves each time they withdraw another blood. More details, the nurse is a new one so she had to pull out the needle stick several times until she can get my vein.. I saw her finger touched the shaft of the needle stick, is it dangerous if her finger get blood of previous client?.. OMG, I came here to get hiv test, but now I am worrying that testing process may put me at risk?? What can I do now? Please answer, thank you.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Is it dangerous in my situation??
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:02 am »
There has never been a documented case of transmission through blood testing.

The nurses wear gloves to protect themselves from you, not the other way around. You were absolutely not at risk for HIV through the incident as you described it.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:46 am »
wow.. thank you kind jkinatl2! :)
By the way, 1 more question if you don't mind? I got 2 tests: 1 rt-pcr at 7 weeks + 3 days, and 1 rapid test at 8 weeks + 3 days. All negative. How confident can I be with these results? my doctor said that pcr test only accurate at 2-4 weeks because the viral load is at highest rate, so I should not put too much weight in my negative pcr at 8+ weeks when viral load decreased?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 01:29:08 am »
Would you mind describing your risk?

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 01:48:31 am »
jkinatl2,
I had unprotected oral sex with an unknown woman. Then she rubbed her body on me, I also felt my penis go inside her vaginal, I realized that and pulled out immediately. We ended up with condom used penetration, I did quite rough and don't know if the condom remained intact or not? Is my test results a good sign?

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 01:54:54 am »
The only documented method of heterosexual HIV transmission is unprotected vaginal sex.

If you used a condom for penetrative sex, then you were absolutely not at risk for HIV.

If the condom had failed, you would have noticed. Condoms are designed to fail catastrophically. It would resemble a shredded hula hoop around you penis. If this did not happen, then you were not at any risk whatsoever for HIV infection.

Welcome Thread

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:27:33 am »
but my penis was inside her for a few seconds.. can I trust my negative tests and stop worrying?..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:28 am »
Your risk was minimal so your negative results are not surprising.

Technically we follow the CDC recommendation of testing at 13 weeks for a conclusive result. I would suggest you re-test at that time just for your peace of mind. I certainly expect you to continue to test negative.

Andy Velez

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2011, 07:09:46 am »
Hi, I have tested at exactly 9 weeks with rapid test. It's negative. But 3 days ago I woke up with a canker sore, it is a small spot on my inner lip, it really hurt when eating or speaking.. Do you think it is related to ARS?? Can ARS appears after 8 weeks and if so how bad is it?? Have you ever seen anyone convert after 9 weeks or more? My next 3 weeks passing by too slow..
Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 07:44:27 am »
Live,

I've never seen a six week or more negative result change to positive at the three month point. Whatever is going on in your mouth has nothing to do with hiv.

You were never likely to end up positive after this brief incident anyway. I fully expect you to test negative again when you confirm at three months.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 08:36:41 am »
Thank you for quick response Ann!
Do you think venipuncture poses any risk of STDs transmission??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 08:43:16 am »
You seem to be caught up in "what ifs," which is not a good place to hang around in. You keep coming up with obscure scenarios that haven't actually happened to you.

Let's just stick to your particular situation. You had a minimal risk incident and after your initial negative result we expect you to continue to test negative. While you are waiting to re-test you need to make a real effort to focus on other matters in your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2011, 08:49:37 am »
Thanks Andy. I'll try to focus in something else instead of worrying. I'll post my final test in 3 weeks. Hope it will be ok! :)
Thank you and best wishes.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2011, 09:08:03 am »
OK. I certainly expect another negative result for you.
Andy Velez

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2011, 07:50:21 am »
Hi! Today is nearly 11th week after my exposure, and this time I have an ELISA test and it comes out negative. I feel very happy now although I have to take one more test at 12th weeks for conclusive result. And it is 12 weeks for final test? Because some people say it 13 weeks.. I don't know which is correct?
In my country, many experts in STDs field say that for some people, the hiv window period may up to 6 months. I think they mentioned about someone that have weak immune system such as cancer patients or drug users, right? And I also heard about some people never produce antibody even they have normal immune system? Can you clarify this please?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2011, 08:38:43 am »
Live,

There is no difference between testing at twelve weeks or testing at thirteen weeks. Either is conclusive.

To be honest, you don't need further testing. Your result is not going to change. The only risk you had was the very brief vaginal penetration and that is very low risk. You're more likely to find a winning lottery ticket worth millions lying on your doorstep tomorrow morning than you are to test positive over this situation.

It's time you got on with your life. You do not have hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2011, 11:36:08 am »
Thank you so much Ann.

You think I do not need further testing, but it is presumed that I have normal health. Actually I am a kind of people that easily catch ailments ie cold, flu and very often have problem with my throat and always need to be treated with antibiotics. So do you think 11 weeks is still sufficient for me?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2011, 11:39:19 am »
Live,

There is no difference between testing at twelve weeks or testing at thirteen weeks. Either is conclusive.

To be honest, you don't need further testing. Your result is not going to change. The only risk you had was the very brief vaginal penetration and that is very low risk. You're more likely to find a winning lottery ticket worth millions lying on your doorstep tomorrow morning than you are to test positive over this situation.

It's time you got on with your life. You do not have hiv.

Ann

Are you listening to anything said to you or only to your fears? Seems that way.
Andy Velez

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2011, 11:52:18 am »
Yes I've read all your replies in every single word.. I also really appreciate your help. I just want to make sure that everything is fine then I will not put anyone at risk after this incident. I wish you know how hard to deal with this in my situation.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:59 pm »
Reread the replies you have already been given.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:41 pm »
You can't pass a virus you don't have. You can test again for your peace of mind although it's unnecessary.

I am going to warn you that if you continue to return here about this non-HIV situation you are going to find yourself getting a Time Out from the site.

HIV is not your problem. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline liveinfear

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 08:01:59 am »
Hi everyone.. Please don't give me time out.. I don't know what is going on with my body because I'm having all the symptoms while there's one more week to go.. It began yesterday with running nose, congestion, and then mild sore throat, high fever, fatigue and body ache.. I would have moved on with my life if there were not such things! Really, I feel that I'm an unlucky one..

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 08:18:26 am »
■Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 08:46:54 am »
Live,

Your results are not going to change. You do NOT have hiv!

The symptoms of seroconversion that some people experience do not happen this late. If they happen at all, they happen within the first two to four weeks. It's cold and flu season - and that's probably what you have. If you feel unwell, see a doctor instead of complaining on a website.

You do NOT have hiv.

I'm giving you that time out you've been warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.