Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 01:31:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 178
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 134
Total: 134

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Scholarships  (Read 17933 times)

Offline sacinsc

HIV Scholarships
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:26:22 am »
Since so much is working out in my life, I am thinking about going back full time to get my masters rather than pt. Money is the issue, and where financial aid is fine I know there are scholarships out there for gays and poz people. Does anyone know of any or of a link to some.

Thanks

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion
September 07 - CD4 402 VL 118000 25%
October 07 -     CD4 294 VL 124000 22%
November 07 - Norvir, Triuvada and Reyataz
December 07 -  CD4 355 VL  550 .... guess the meds are working.
January 08 - CD4 446 VL <48 undetectable!
April 08 - CD4 554 VL <48 undetectable!
July 08 - CD4 666 VL <48 undetectable! Hporay...I have devil CD4's

Offline Mouse

• Om nom nom.
Re: HIV Scholarships
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 02:27:15 am »
I second this. Someone spill.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 08:28:22 am »
I sure would like to know also!
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Dan J.

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 09:05:53 am »
http://www.canticleministries.org/

Canticle Ministries is committed to Human and Community Development in ourselves and our services. This mission stems from the mission of our sponsors, The Wheaton Franciscans, a community of vowed women and covenant members. We assist individuals and families coping with HIV/AIDS . We also have opportunities for mentors and volunteers and ways people can help us. Throughout the year, Canticle Ministries events commemorate HIV/AIDS achievements and awareness campaigns.

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:8mwck_RktesJ:www.projectkindle.org/Documents/SAASFApplication.pdf+scholarships+for+hiv+%2B+students&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=19&gl=us

http://www.newscholarships.org/

The Hear Me Project Adds New Video Scholarship Contest
Put Your Passion into Words and Images: Earn Money for College

The Hear Me Project scholarship contest is designed for students passionate about HIV/AIDS as well as writing or filmmaking. The Hear Me Project has invited outstanding student stories, fiction or non-fiction, that creatively and engagingly use the HIV/AIDS theme as its core.

New for 2007: a video scholarship contest compliments the essay contest. Translate your personal HIV/AIDS story to fit the medium of video and win $1,000 for college.

Here are the two contests and how you qualify:

Hear Me Essay Contest:

Eligible students must be 14 to 22 years of age.
Stories or essays may not exceed 5 pages, double-spaced.
Work must be original and emphasize “personal vulnerability to HIV/AIDS.”
Submit entries online or by mail.
Deadline is December 1, 2007
Winning entrant will be awarded a $2,500 scholarship.
Hear Me Video Contest:

Eligible students must be 14 to 22.
Videos must be 1 to 2 minutes long.
Film must be original, may be black and white or color, drama or documentary.
Video applicants must joint a YouTube user group to apply.
Submit videos online or via mail.
Deadline December 1, 2007.
Winning videographer will receive $1,000 in scholarship money.
Hear Me Project applicants: winners in both categories will be announced in February 2008.

http://www.pridefoundation.org/our_programs/scholarships/funds/
40 Scholarships, 1 application to complete

Pride Foundation and GSBA have 40 different types of scholarships available, but students only need to fill out one application. Many of the scholarships available at Pride Foundation have criteria that are determined by the donor who creates the particular scholarship. For this reason, the scholarships cover a diverse range of educational interests, types of student, and geographic regions. For example, a majority of our awards are for people living in the Pacific Northwest, however, some are even more geographically focused. Some awards specify a certain age group, while others target specific fields of study. Most scholarships are available for straight allied or questioning students as well as student of LGBT parents. All the awards promote leadership and diversity in the sexual minority community. Interested individuals submit one application and the scholarship review committee will determine all the scholarships for which the applicant is eligible.

Current Pride Foundation Scholarships
Pride Foundation Community Scholarships, Lee S. Burke Scholarships, Patricia Van Kirk Scholarships and Rainbow City Band Scholarships for current and future LGBT and straight ally leaders and role models.
Pride Foundation Regional Outreach Scholarships for residents of areas outside of King County where Pride Foundation is working to enhance the leadership of the LGBT and Allied community: Whatcom/Skagit Pride, Kitsap County Pride, Pierce County Pride, Clark County Pride, Black Hills Pride, Yakima County Pride, Spokane/Kootenai Pride, Palouse Empire Pride, and Mid-Columbia Pride.
Bellevue PFLAG Scholarship for graduating high school seniors currently attending a greater East King County high school .
Bill Bendiner Memorial Scholarship for students with clear educational goals and aptitude.
Brian M. Day Scholarship for Puget Sound area gay men of color who have significant financial need and demonstrate activism in the gay/lesbian community and their communities of color.
Cole Family Scholarship for Washington residents under age 25 raised by one or more lesbian or gay parent.
Kathy Spadoni Memorial Scholarship (four-year renewable, $10,000/year) for graduating high school seniors entering a bachelor's degree program who have demonstrated leadership skills and have a passion for making positive social change.
Jacinta McKoy Memorial Scholarship for students from the Black Hills community pursuing education in the healing arts (massage, acupuncture, naturopathi c m edicine, conflict resolution, psychology, counseling, etc.) who plan to dedicate their practice to serving their community inclusive of the LGBT and Allied communities.
Tony DeBlase Scholarship for students entering the fields of sex education, sex therapy, research, or something that furthers the understanding of human sexuality, especially alternative sexuality. More information is available here. (external link)
Creando Familia for self-identified LGBT Latino/Latina immigrants, for all kinds of study, including English as a second language.
Daniella Altfeld–Moreno Scholarship for Latino/Latina youth under age 25; preference for students involved in athletics.
Deloris Carter Hampton Scholarship for women of color who have a demonstrated history of activism and/or leadership in the LGBT community and are pursuing a degree in education, women's health ,or dance.
Derivative Duo Scholarship for residents of Washington studying mental health or human services.
Inland Northwest Business Alliance (INBA) Scholarship for residents of Eastern Washington , Idaho , or Montana .
Jack D. Motteler Scholarship for students in the visual arts.
NASP–TRIO Scholarship for current or former students of NW Association of Special Programs (NASP–TRIO) for disadvantaged youth.
Paul Arnold Memorial Scholarship for young men and women studying interior, fashion , or graphic design.
The Ric Ulrich and Chuck Pischke Scholarship for candidates intending studies that involve visual arts and design.
Robert Browning Scholarship for studies in the health sciences.
Scott Rodriguez Scholarship for students with a background in leadership activities and/or participatory athletics.
James and Colin Lee Wozumi for students who are goal-oriented, HIV positive,and/or focusing on the treatment and/or eradication of HIV.
APIQS (Asian and Pacific Islander Queer Sisters) Scholarship for Asian/Pacific Islander lesbians, bisexual females, and transpeople (both MTF and FTM spectrum).
Charly Baker and Heath Merriwether Memorial Scholarship for students under the age of 25 who graduated from any West Seattle high school or are studying theater arts .
Urashi Zen Scholarship for students studying business administration, computer science, or political science.
Barbara Bailey Scholarship for lesbians from the state of Washington .
Thelma Fisher Dewitty Scholarship for graduating seniors from any Seattle Public High School.
Forrester Scholarship for students pursuing a career in Land Surveying (Geomatics) at a 2 or 4 year institution.
Dennis Coleman Choral Conducting Scholarship for LGBT students studying choralconducting with preference given to those committed to creating social change through music.
Athletic Excellence Scholarship for LGBT individuals who plan to pursue or study athletics through college, or for athletes pursuing national/international excellence in sports through an accredited institution or program.
Phil Sullivan Scholarship for students under the age of 21 who demonstrate significant financial need.

These are just a few that I found. Google Scholarships+hiv+positive+students

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 11:08:16 am »
Indeed.  Such scholarships ARE out there.  One of my best friends just this year finished a full undergraduate program at School of Visual Arts in NYC.

I'll try and remember next time I talk to him how he tapped into this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 11:39:00 am »
I would also check with the school you are attending.  See if they have a GLBT studies department or programs office.  I went to a larger university for my B.A., and there were a number of "diversity scholarships" out there, some exclusively for GLBT identified students.  They usually aren't very much, but every little bit helps when it comes time to pay tuition.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 03:01:53 pm »
Expect to do a great deal of digging for this gold, though.  The majority of these (or any) scholarship awards tend to be geared for people under 25...usually right out of high school.

Still waiting for someone to institute the "Holy Shit...I Didn't Die.  Now What?"  Scholarship Fund for all of us whose careers got upended, finances ruined and/or physical limitations altered by AIDS and are trying to figure out where and how to go from here. 

Seriously.  This is the case for a rather vast number of people.  And only a precious few programs around this country offer anything in the way of meaningful vocational rehab.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bear60

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 03:30:57 pm »
matt....
to whats already been said I will add this:
1.a lot of scholarships are specific as to the studies AND the institution in question , so if you wanted a scholarship for art at Clemson .......there may not be one, for example
2. some carry expectations about "giving back" to the community

One of my friends who has now passed away ( they are falling fast!) left in his will a scholarship fund for gay men only ( which raised some hackles let me tell you) and only good for colleges in the Philadelphia area.          ( although one could be from another state and studying here). 
It carries conditions related to field of study and "giving back" to the community.
Its called the Jonathan Lax Scholarship Fund and is administered by BREAD AND ROSES, a non profit umbrella organization.
http://www.breadrosesfund.org/index.cfm?organization_id=75&section_id=1102&page_id=4519
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:33:26 pm by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 05:38:57 pm »
I have to second Tim's' comment about the scholarship availability...usually aimed at high school age  or slightly older students.......Try some of the major Corporations...almost all offer some kind of "scholarship" to various groups...they expect the "students" to be more mature ...maybe even working full time.....and are usually centered around a particular community...sort of their "good deed for the community"  action....  I would Google any major corporation with significant presence in your area  and search their "community" actions or "newsletter" area... I know that Texas Instruments, General Motors , IBM and most other companies of that size did this sort of thing.
A similar search of any fraternal organizations would also be a good idea.....most area Rotary clubs, Women's League, YMCA and others have this type of "sponsored study" ,   what the hell try the Boy Scouts....!!!
Of course the best source for "older students" is the Department Head of almost any department at any major University..they all have "scholarship" money for selected students..usually,  in kind. , such as tuition, mealscards or part time jobs...

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 05:51:54 pm »
Expect to do a great deal of digging for this gold, though.  The majority of these (or any) scholarship awards tend to be geared for people under 25...usually right out of high school.

Still waiting for someone to institute the "Holy Shit...I Didn't Die.  Now What?" 

The friend I referenced was 34 when he was awarded his scholarship.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 08:55:41 pm »
If you are looking to going to college for nursing check out  www.exceptionalnurse.com, they offer yearly scolarships for students with disabilities, hiv included. Great lady Donna who over sees the scholarship program.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 10:15:01 pm »
Are you still looking to stay in the education field?

A Masters Degree (depending on the state and the school district) greatly benefits your teaching opportunities as well as your salary.
There are many many loan forgiveness programs for teachers going to work in shortage areas and low socioeconomic areas ( I believe you have to commit to about 2 years)

I think researching graduate study loans for people with disabilities as well as HIV/AIDS would be a good thing to supplement any grants or loans you may be eligible for. There are fewer scholarships for Masters however. But as long as no one can claim you as a dependent you should be eligible for subsidized loans and federal grants.
This is just from experience (after finally finishing my second M.S) but....

The first thing you might want to do is  decide what college you want to attend and meet with their financial aid counselor. They usually are aware of all the loans, scholarships and grants available.

Apply for as many as you can. ( I was able to cover 100% of my first and 80% of my second masters this way)  gawd I sound like a commercial.

Later when you get your foot in the door, get a mentor, a professor whom you really like. They might need help with assisting with their undergraduate classes (which means a little money).

I hope this helps...
Shark

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 12:56:56 am »
If you are white, it is impossible to even get legal assistance. When I tried to, there were programs to assist hispanics, American Indian, almost every minority. Whites are pretty much excluded.

I hope this isn't the same for scholarships. But I thought I would add this to Hunters and Bears comments, for what it is worth.

Just sayin!
Positive since 1985

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 01:10:06 am »
umm...anyways....

I'm sure there is something out there for you. I'd be willing to help you search if you'd like.

Offline collegeguy21bi

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 02:18:22 am »

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2007, 08:46:58 am »
All the assistance is great....legal assistance thing is a little confusing but thanks none the less. The ameythest thing was a lovely link to a "most popular sites on the Internet thing....i.e. spam"  I am wanting to get a masters in either public admin or public policy. I think at this point after so much rejection with education I am done with the humiliation. Teaching for 7 years and being rejected like this because I chose to teach at a bad school and it went royally wrong has killed me. I also can not go back to inner city or poor performing schools anymore because mentally and physically now I can't take it. Last thing I need is a CD4 drop because little johnny and little jane are sociopaths in class and are driving me crazy. So its career change time.

In other words I am looking for graduate level tuition assistance. The college I have found that has the programs I like so far are George Mason and George Washington. GW is WAYYYY to expensive so its probably going to be GMU. I have been researching, but those of you that posted about the young uns are right. Who cares about those kids (no offense Mouse). We need finicial help for those of us, and granted im not the biggest hit I know, that are displaced because of our diagnosis. Maybe its time to lobby Congress. And get the AIDS Service Organizations into the mix.

I just want to restart, this year has nearly killed me both mentally and physically. Anyone have an idea of how we can start a data base of scholarships and funding on this site?

Matt
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline bear60

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 12:16:50 pm »
Good luck Matt, keep us posted.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 04:05:54 pm »
Matt

If you are a minority, your chances are greatly enhanced in getting legal aid. Pretty simple.

I'm guessing the same would be true of scholarships. Good luck.

Positive since 1985

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:25 pm »
Thanks but um...im a white boy. :)
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 02:05:00 am »
Jeffry,

would you please stop posting those type comments? It reminds me of news stories that use sound bites to get people angry without telling the entire truth.

My exlover is white and when we were together he had no problem finding free legal assistance when he needed it. He also got a scholarship for school. Come to think of it I can think of  many many many situations, in the eight years we were together, that he was able to get benefits and better treatment than I did even though I worked harder. So am I to go around complaining that whites have it easier all the time? No, because we all have challenges.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 11:38:22 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007, 12:16:57 am »
I didn't know about this and I have lived in Sacramento for 14 years. But I found out The Capitol City AIDS Fund in Sacramento, gives 12 scholarships to students for undergraduate and graduate work each year. Apparently they have funded one student for the past four years. Now she is graduating this year and is heading for grad school and they are funding it as well

Sharky

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2007, 02:28:29 am »
Dc Guy,
No why would I stop posting comments. Try living in Phoenix, where every nearly every govt program revolves around hispanic groups. They account for a major majority of govt assisted programs.

I'm sure you remember Moffie? Well, he was not allowed  SDI because he was NOT hispanic. So I don't get why you are opposed to posts that reflect the reality of living in the South West.

????

Hey I'm thrilled your partner got some help. I doubt he would have the same success in AZ. It is a FACT OF LIFE out here. I mean no disrespect to you or anyone else. I am rooting for us all that suffer with HIV.
Positive since 1985

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2007, 05:00:06 am »
Well try living in America where it sometimes 'seems' white people get every break there is. The key word is 'SEEMS'. When I start feeling this way I remind myself that this is not always the case. Anyone that really wants to can get ahead in life here. I mean anyone. I have traveled extensively  and can tell you there is no where like America where so many people can have a good life. If you don't like Arizona then move. But I'm not sure why you feel this way. I know at least three white people in Arizona and they are doing quite well.

I for one won't  spend my entire life looking at others who seem to have it easier. Every group can always point at some other group that seems to have it easier. Some Gays think straights have it easier. Some blacks think whites have it easier. Some Hiv poz people think negative people have it easier. Some handicapped people think non handicapped  people have it easier. Some whites think minorities have it easier. I can go on and on and on or I can get off my butt and do the best with what I have and appreciate all that life in AMERICA has to offer. I for one encounter discrimination many times. I have experienced it from Gays, Whites, Hispancs and even some other blacks. Trying going for a loan with excellent credit money saved in the bank and still have your white friend get better treatment at the bank. Trying flying to Montreal with your white friend when you are black and get taken to a back room and stripped searched have them ask you a thousand questions while your white friend has a switch blade in his leather jacket that he carries around and he goes right through customs with no questions asked (this happened well before 911). Try going to a hotel room where I go to see if there is a room available and I am told no and I send my white partner in and they have plenty of rooms. Try living in a condo and be black then go to the swimming pool and get asked for ID when your white friend just went in front ten minutes ago and didn't get asked for ID at all. You want to know frustrating my partner and I wouldn't have even gotten the condo if it weren't for my good credit and savings. He had filed bankruptcy a few years before and his credit score was very low. I have never filed for bankruptcy. All of these situations happened to me. I have plenty more I can tell. My ex can attest to this. He was sometimes more disgusted and upset about this type of treatment then I was.  But I don't focus on this. I don't go around feeling all whites have it easier.

There are programs, scholarships, legal, help etc for all kinds of people here in America. There are even programs for people with a certain income level.

Life is what we make it. Thank God I live in America. It may be frustrating many times and I may get angry at some of the bigotry I receive but with all of that I still can make it because there are so many decent people here of all races.

Forgive me for the long response. I'm just get really frustrated when we take complicated situations and make them quick sound bytes.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 05:28:50 am by DCGUY2007 »

Offline sacinsc

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2007, 05:17:56 pm »
No offense to either of you guys, but this is about helping people find money for school not about racial issues. Can you guys take this somewhere else? Please?
March 07 - Negative
May 07 - Exposed
June 07 - Seroconversion

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2007, 05:36:22 pm »
Ok guys it's time to get this back on track.

As Sacinsc said, this is about scholarships and not about racial issues..so please if you can't stay on topic then don't say anything, unless of course you have any helpful information to give sacinsc regarding his scholarship....thanks guys

Hugs
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2007, 09:49:46 pm »
I want to vigorously support Jan's comment about the purpose of this thread. It is not a thread about the state of racial prejudice in America as reflected in scholarship availability or anything else for that matter vis a vis racial differences. Getting into squabbles about racial issues will not be tolerated.

The purpose of the thread still is a request for suggestions about how to access scholarship support. Let's stick to that as the focus.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Andy Velez

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2007, 12:54:13 am »
Andy and everyone I totally agree with you .There were three different postings here that I found very offensive.  I even wrote to the moderators complaining about this but got no response.  So I felt it necessary to respond again. Why weren't there more complaints before I posted my last response? The offensive postings started November 20 at 12:56pm and continued but no one said anything about it. I was offended after the first one I saw, by the time I read the third one  I was really upset. I admit I should have made my last response shorter but I was so upset. Partly because no one here said anything.

I hope in the future when postings start this way it will be stopped immediately. I definitely don't want to write anything that will be offensive to others. I  apologize if I offended anyone.I just keep running into postings from different sites that end up with someone posting something about how minorities supposedly have it so easy or blaming minorities for whatvever the issue is. I get very very sad and frustrated when I see this type of stuff. For one thing it isn't true. We are all humans. Most people are just trying to make a decent living and live a good life.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 01:48:55 am by DCGUY2007 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.