Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:01:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 203
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: travelling with meds  (Read 3581 times)

Offline kitty1

travelling with meds
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:28:23 pm »
Next week will be the first time I will be flying out of state since I stated meds.  Is there anything I need to worry about in terms of my medication at the airport?  Can I conceal them in my pruse?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: travelling with meds
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 08:04:28 pm »
Why do you need to conceal anything?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Tucsonwoody

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 08:19:12 pm »
Hey Kitty -

Whatever the reason for your trip, I hope it goes well and doesn't pass through Denver in the next few days! :)

Also, this issue has been discussed recently in different threads - if you use the Search tool and do a search for travel - meds etc you'll find a bunch of information.

Here is a link to one recent discussion: http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=6171.0

Kevin
And I wished for guidance, and I wished for peace
I could see the lightning; somewhere in the east
And I wished for affection, and I wished for calm
As I lay there - Nervous in the light of dawn

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 08:23:38 pm »
philly267 is right. There is no need to conceal anything. I've been traveling with meds five or six times a year for the past 17 years (both inside and outside the country) and have never had a problem. Do put them in your carry-on bag, not with checked luggage. I keep my pills in one of those plastic compartmentalized pill containers. Many people say that you should leave the meds in the original prescription containers, but I've never done this and have never been stopped or questioned.

The only time traveling in the U.S. with HIV meds can be a problem is if you are not a U.S. citizen.

Relax and enjoy the trip.

Allan

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 08:40:12 pm »
As long as you have your name on the bottle it shouldn't be a problem. I'm in a study and have an ID# and a letter from the NIH so it's no problem.
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 03:19:35 am »
Yes, I AM Supporting You!

Hello Kitty...

Everyone is correct on this issue. There is no need to allow your inner anxiety to get out of control for this and worry. Just board the plane as you normally would with your meds. Have a safe trip!

Thanks Kevin for the link that you have provided.

Happy New Year for 2007!!! and BEST wishes to YOU!

Don't You Dare Give Up... Don't You Dare Give In...
BECAUSE It IS ALL Within YOU to WIN!!!

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 08:08:20 am »

I flew the other week and due to the quantity of medications I take, I place them in pill box containers.  I carried receipts for the medications...just in case...but security didn't ask for them.  I just put them in my carry-on.
     Only exception was the Rx gel Testim (Testosterone) which, due to being a gel, had to be placed in a one-quart zip-lock bag with other liquids etc.
     As far as that goes...any liquids or gels must all fit in the one-quart zip-lock, and none individually can be over three ounces.  You remove that bag from your carry-on and place it in the bin with with shoes etc.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Nico

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 11:42:54 am »
Kitty,
Like the others have assured you, don't worry about it.  My job requires I fly all over the US and roughly 20-25 trips a year.  I have never had a problem and sometimes I just take enough pills plus a few extra just in case I get stranded.  You may feel more comfortable taking your entire stash.  I just got tired of having more in my carry on luggage than needed.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Roger
Poz since 1990.

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 07:51:06 pm »
Hi kitty,

I agree with everyone else. No need to conceal them. Carry the meds in their original bottles, and put them in your carry-on bag.

I have flown with all my meds a few times, in and out of the US. I have also flown with Fuzeon which requires needles. I carried everything in my carry-on. I also had a letter from the doctor saying the needles were for an injectable med.

Before my bag went through the x-ray I told the security person since I knew they would see the needles in my bag. All I said was that I had needles in my carry-on for injecting medication. 

They could have cared less. There was no problem at all.

Have a safe, and fun trip.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.