Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:58:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 182
Total: 182

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Extremely Worried about First Time Sexual Experience - Please Help  (Read 8020 times)

Offline lolax42

Hello, I recently had my first series of sexual experiences ever in the past four weeks and am now worrying, kicking myself, stressing to the point of gray hairs, and hating myself because of potential HIV symptoms that I'm now experiencing. I would really appreciate any comments/advice you have for me. God bless you all for taking your time to help people like me!

Back in mid-June, I recieved and gave oral sex to another guy on three separate occasions within a timespan of three weeks (the last experience happened a week ago). No protection was used during this sex; however, I don't believe that I had mouth sores or any visible cuts in my mouth. In addition, the guy never fully ejaculated in the mouth - just on the hands. However, during the first experience, a bit of his semen did get in my eye. In addition, I had a small sore on my hand (it had a partial scab on it, but the skin appeared to be thin still and probably came in contact with his semen). I don't believe that the partner was HIV positive; however, I am unsure as he himself is unsure (he's only had one boyfriend before me). In addition, we also fingered each other anally; however, the fingers more than likely had nothing other than saliva on them (not semen - perhaps small, trace amounts, but they were wiped before). Kissing also occured; however, from what I've read, that's not a way to pass HIV.

Anyways, about four weeks after the initial experience, I developed a headache and achieved a temperature of 101.5 degrees. I also at this time started to experience night sweats waking up to find myself really sweaty, and during the day I would have cold sweats at time (these are two things that I've never really experienced). I also slept a lot and when I got up would be quite dizzy when trying to walk around. I also had some sharp pains in my right knee and near my kidney/liver (they only lasted a second or so each though and occured only for a day or two). After taking some standard medicine (Ibuprofen), the fever went down within two or three days. However, once the fever went down, my throat became very sore and I could barely even stand to eat as there was extreme pain when I swallowed. I went to the physician who said that my throat was red before when I had the temperature, but now the throat looked really bad. The physician diagnosed me (not via tests but just by symptoms) with coxsackie (hand-foot-mouth virus) and gave me a steroid shot to the arm in addition to steroid pills to take for five days to help relieve the soreness in the throat. It's now been a week since my initial fevor (three days since the painful throat started to clear up) and I can now swallow fine. However, there are some red looking bumps on the back of my throat, and I am having an extreme hiccup problem (I have probably hiccuped 500 times in the past two days since having started taking the steroid pills.). My upper chest is also partially sore, and after all the hiccups, I can taste "throw-up" acid in my mouth (as if the hiccups are causing acid to come up to the mouth). Also, I have a really white-covered tongue and can foam up a lot of extremely white and foamy saliva very quickly. Some of the white stuff seems to be partially solid as well. Today (about a week since the fever initially started), I have experienced two very easily initiated nosebleeds where the blood flowed VERY easily from my nose (and in each case, a huge blood clot came out of each nose soon after the bleeding started).

Anyways, after reading online about the symptons of pre-HIV+, I became VERY worried. Do these symptoms sound typical of HIV? I have read that it's important to wait at least three months before obtaining an HIV test; however, I considered getting one immediately (since it's been about 4-5 weeks now) and then one later as well. Any comments/advice concerning this issue would be extremely helpful. Thank you.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Extremely Worried about First Time Sexual Experience - Please Help
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 04:27:44 am »
lolax,

The only activity you listed that is even a small risk of hiv infection is the giving oral. (and yes, I read through your post carefully) Even giving a blowjob is only a very very small risk of infection and you have reduced that risk further by not allowing ejaculation in your mouth.

Getting a blowjob, fingering and kissing are NOT risks for hiv infection.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but not for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

You were diagnosed with coxsackie virus and while I can understand where this experience spooked you, it has nothing to do with hiv. Coxsackie is a common virus - when my daughter had it in her late teens she was quite ill with it.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

You don't need to test over these recent incidents, but if you remain sexually active, at some point in the next year you need to start having your annual or semi-annual sexual health check-ups. It's what responsible, sexually active adults do.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread and click on the links for further information.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lolax42

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2006, 08:03:31 am »
Thank you, Ann for your thorough reply. I think I will still have myself tested at the appropriate time just to be sure. Again, I cannot believe how dumb I was to engage in activity such as this without first knowing all the consequences and proper safety procedures. Never again will it happen that way. Thank you.

Other comments are still greatly appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 09:13:18 am »
Hi,

It's good to read that you are committed to following safer sex guidelines in the future. By doing that you can both enjoy your sexuality and protect your health.

I also agree with Ann about the extremely low level of risk involved in these recent experiences. Becoming sexually active is often both exciting and anxiety-provoking. So it's understandable that you have some concerns. I do expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline lolax42

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 11:06:31 pm »
Thank you Ann and Andy so very much for your time in responding to (and actually reading) my initial post. I am a very young person, and I have never stressed more about anything in my life than I have this for the past few weeks. I have decided to go tomorrow to get a rapid mouth test done (it's been 4-5 weeks after the initial encounter). I know I'll probably go back at the 3 and 6 month marks just to ensure the results; however, I am liable to pull my hair out of my head if I don't go tomorrow to get some sort of relief (or at least just talk to someone at the clinic where they host them). God bless you all for taking the time and courage to address people on these forums.

By the way, this is kind of a random question, but does thrush cover the entire mouth, just the tongue, just the throat, etc, or does it vary person to person? Thank you!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:39:18 am »
Lolax,

Stop looking in your mouth, trying to diagnose yourself with thrush, RIGHT NOW. Only a doctor can reliably diagnose thrush by taking a swab of the suspected area and having it tested. YOU cannot diagnose thrush. Most people have areas on their tounge that appear white - this is normal.

If you get worried, please read the above answers again. You are going to be just fine, really you are.

Just remember to use condoms for intercourse. Every time, no exceptions.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline lolax42

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:23:19 pm »
I went for a rapid oral test today (it's been about 4 or 5 weeks after the endangering encounter) and the test came back negative. They were sure to tell me that this test doesn't mean much since it's been so recent after the encounter, but at least it's peace of mind for now (until the real test two months or so down the road). I also went to the dentist for a cleanup and they officially diagnosed me with thrush :( kind of scary as well, but it's possible the doctor told me it's possible the steroids I was taking for the mouth weakened my immune system and helped to spur that infection.

Anyways, thanks again for all your thoughts. I'll keep this post updated once I get another test.

Random question if you all don't mind - what's the average time it takes for the conversion to HIV to take place. I know that you've all said 3 months and 6 months are the big kickers, but generally, will HIV+ be noticeable by a time as short as 4-6 weeks? Thanks a million, and again, whether my future tests come back positive or negative, I will always be grateful for the support that people have given me and others on this forum. I'm sure you probably get tired of hearing the same questions or people posting every 5 minutes with the same concerns, but just know that even a small reply can mean a world of difference to someone (I know now). Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 07:30:20 pm »
lolax,

The only thing you will see us say on this forum about a six month test is that it is unnecessary. Three months is sufficient.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS. (not months, weeks) The average time to seroconversion is 22 days.

It is highly unlikely that you would have become infected with hiv through anything you have brought to this forum.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline lolax42

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 09:27:32 am »
I apologize to keep asking more and more questions, but as I've been awaiting the official six week mark for testing, I've continued to read online about symptoms of HIV and other STIs. I know that Ann has repeatedly said on this forum STIs are transmitted MUCH easier than the HIV virus. If my HIV test is to come back negative, do you think that any of the symptoms I mentioned in my original post could be attributed to an STI? I looked at a website Ann mentioned in another post outlining many common STIs (inspot.org) and things such as hepatitis seemed to match somewhat, but nothing matched quite like the symptoms of HIV matched. Thanks!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 10:10:47 am »
Lolax,

Symptoms or the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv and they mean nothing for many of the STIs as well. If you have concerns that you might have been infected with any STI, the only way to know for sure is through testing.

Go have a full panel of STI tests done, including throat swabs - although from what you describe of your activities, I wouldn't expect you to have been infected with anything.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.