Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Not sure what tomorrow may bring...  (Read 12224 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Not sure what tomorrow may bring...
« on: April 20, 2008, 08:08:48 pm »

Got my blood tests scheduled for tomorrow( Monday) at 9:00Am. Wish me luck !   I feel kind of strange   (concerned) about these ones, been a very strange past 3 months !!
We"ll See what happens !

I got do my fasting tonight !! I'l be hungry tomorrow !

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: Not sure what tomorrow may bring...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 08:25:10 pm »
Good luck Ray!  Let us know how it turns out.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 10:45:49 pm »
Wishing you good luck, Ray.  As Alan said, let us know how everything turns out.

And go pig-out once those bloods are drawn.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 05:44:12 am »
i had blood drawn last week (during the crisis with Jim) and will get my results back thurs. I'm sure they won't be so great because of what all happened. I think a lot of times, it's easy to worry about what these next results are going to show - even when things have been good; but especially when things haven't been going so well.

Personally, I've gone through so many "blips" before that I always try to remember that it's all about the "trend" of several results that determine how much you should really worry. Some of the times when I was sure my numbers would be "bad", they turned out to be good; and sometimes when I was certain that I'd be hearing good news, I'd hear about another blip up in my viral load. (my tcells usually just stay around 250, so I've gotten used to no change there). Go figure  ::)

Testing anxiety is a pain in the butt. Here's hoping the "strange-ness" since your last labs didn't affect your numbers. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2008, 09:47:25 am »

Ok,... thats done... Just the ten day wait for those results !! Fast visit today ! Blood pressure good. 1 pound lighter ( thats good). Now I am debating on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or wait 45 minutes and get a whopper !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 10:17:58 am »

Ok,... thats done... Just the ten day wait for those results !! Fast visit today ! Blood pressure good. 1 pound lighter ( thats good). Now I am debating on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or wait 45 minutes and get a whopper !!

Ray

Hey Ray,

Why not do both?  A quickie peanut butter and jelly and then a whopper. Oh, what I wouldn't do for a whopper - or even McDonald's. Its been many years.

I hate those fasting tests. For some reason, even though I may not eat any less than usual, its the thought that I can't that gets me.

Maybe too many years on Crixivan.

Now, lets hope the numbers are great.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 10:19:38 am »
Now I am debating on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or wait 45 minutes and get a whopper !!

mmm, whopper.
I say get the whopper. though it might add that pound back onto you. LOL that sounds good to me too, so that's what I'll get on my next trip to the hospital to check on jim. I was getting tired of Taco Bell anyway and everyone gripes that it's no good for me - but that's why I like it. LOL

now that it's done, don't fret about though numbers until appt day.  ;)

leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 10:56:55 am »
You're a tough ol' bird, I'm sure your numbers will be great. In the meantime why not enjoy a peanutbutter and jelly whopper. You can kill your cholesterol with one stone sandwich. ;D

Hal

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 11:41:45 am »
"You're a tough ol' bird, "  Doxie
What he said.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 12:01:50 pm »
 HI Ray , wishing you good luck on the labs .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline ubotts

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008, 12:29:16 pm »
wishing you the best on your new blood work............ :)
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 08:04:44 am »
Hello All,

Finally got those blood test results back, that were taken on 4/21/08. Overall, not too bad :

Total cholesterol --218 was 205 on 1/14/08

LDL --139  was 125 on 1/14/08

HDL--58  was 50 on 1/14/09

Triglycerides--105 was 150 on 1/14/08

CD-4 379   was 303 on 1/14/08

CD-4 percentage 12.7  was 10.7 on 1/14/08

Viral Load <50 was <50 on 1/14/08

CBC, chemical profile, and amylase are all OK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following are my blood tests results since Starting meds on 10/2003 :

MONTH/YEAR

10/03---CD-4- 16     VIRAL LOAD--500,000   PERCENTAGE <4% ( From October of 03)

12/03---CD-4- 48     VIRAL LOAD- <50    PERCENTAGE--- 4%

1/04-----CD-4- 76     VIRAL LOAD--155    PERCENTAGE--6%

2/04-----CD-4-87      VIRAL LOAD--89      PERCENTAGE--5%

3/04-----CD-4- 125   VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--6%

5/04-----CD4--139    VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--7%

6/04-----CD4--150    VIRAL LOAD--150    PERCENTAGE--6%

8/04-----CD4--199    VIRAL LOAD-- 96     PERCENTAGE--8%

11/04---CD4--253    VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--8%

2/05----CD4--239     VIRAL LOAD--<50   PERCENTAGE--7%

5/05----CD4- 213     VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--7%

8/05----CD4--333     VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--7%

11/05--CD4--328      VIRAL LOAD--166    PERCENTAGE--8%

2/06---CD4--279       VIRAL LOAD--<50   PERCENTAGE--10%

5/06---CD4--350       VIRAL LOAD--288   PERCENTAGE--11%

7/06-- CD4--322       VIRAL LOAD--<50   PERCENTAGE--10%

10/06-CD4--286        VIRAL LOAD--<50   PERCENTAGE- 11%

1/07---CD4--332       VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE-- 12%

4/07--CD4---380       VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--14%

8/07--CD4--366        VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--13%

11/07--CD4-295       VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--12%

1/08--CD4-303         VIRAL LOAD--<50    PERCENTAGE--10%

4/08--CD4-379         VIRAL LOAD---<50   PERCENTAGE----12%

Well, that's where I currently stand with my numbers. Still hanging in there !

Ray

« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 08:08:44 am by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 08:42:27 am »
Not bad numbers, Ray.  I forget, are you on a choletserol med?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 08:52:17 am »
Not bad numbers, Ray.  I forget, are you on a choletserol med?

Hi Betty,

Yes I am am Lipitor ( 10mgs) But I've been cutting the pills in half, taking only 5mgs per day versus 10mgs per day. Instead of the 70mgs per week, I am taking 35 mgs per week. I've been experimenting !! I know, I know !!! I may have to go with the full dose daily. ::)

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 08:56:07 am »
Ray, Ray, Ray......

I take Lipitor also, 10 mgs every night.  It worked wonderfully for me.  Yes, you should probably take the recommended dose, but you know that.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 09:22:54 am »
Hey Ray,

Only 5 mg of Lipitor and you still have pretty good cholesterol numbers?

Lucky guy.

I take 20 mgs of Pravastatin and 10 mgs of Zetia - along with 6 grams (6,000 mgs) of fish oil and my numbers still suck.

My last triglycerides were 261.

But, at least the LDL was down to 80.

Hang in there.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 11:10:52 am »
Hey, Ray -- good sounding lab results.

Maybe you've covered this before, and I missed it, but why are you on 3 nukes [Epzicom (abacavir + lamivudine) and Viread], in addition to the Viramune?  Seems like overkill, unless your HIV has some resistance to the nukes.

I take the highest dose of Crestor (40mg/day) for my cholesterol, and it's working well, although I worry a bit about its possible muscle-wasting side effect (no signs of that, thankfully).

Peter

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 06:07:36 pm »

Maybe you've covered this before, and I missed it, but why are you on 3 nukes [Epzicom (abacavir + lamivudine) and Viread], in addition to the Viramune?  Seems like overkill, unless your HIV has some resistance to the nukes.

Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for asking.  This subject had come up several of times on the old forums. Had some previous discussion with Gerry on this same issue.  The doctor wanted to add the viread , to the already existing regimen of Viramune and Epzicom, around July of 04. He didn't think at that time, that those meds alone were  doing a sufficient job, in suppression of the viral load. I was real hesitant on doing this, as there was some discussion about the 3 nuke, and one non-nuke unconventional therapy. Besides myself, I know of at least one other person ( Herman) that is also on the same regimen. I also believe there is one other person on this site, on the same regimen too. Even went as far to ask the same question on the John Hopkins site  ( to doctor Gallant) . I have his response somewhere in file, I will have to see if I can find it and post it here, as it is no longer on their site.

However, I held off adding the Viread, until around September of 04. I've never had resistance testing done, to my knowledge ( unless the doctor held back in telling me something, or I was so brain fogged at the time, that I  couldn't remember that conversation),  and everytime I ask the doctor about dropping, one drug, and going to the 3 drug regimen, he continues to stand pretty solid in continuing this way. I often wonder, what the results may have been, had I not added the Viread to the existing regimen, as I held onto that bottle of viread almost two months before starting it around September of 04. Does seem like a little overkill, doesn't it? I am in one of those situations now, where I am leary about dropping one of the nukes. Also read as much as I could find, regarding 3 meds versus 4 HAART therapy. I also wonder at times, whether I should have been more inquisitive, with the doctor about this, and pushed the issue a little further.

It's time to ask the doctor again, to see if there can be a simplification of this regimen, but I am pretty sure I know what the answer will be !! If anything changes, I will continue to update

Thanks for asking Peter----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 09:48:32 am »

I take the highest dose of Crestor (40mg/day) for my cholesterol, and it's working well, although I worry a bit about its possible muscle-wasting side effect (no signs of that, thankfully).

Peter

yeah I was on a form of those early on as well...

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:01 pm »
Sounds like pretty good labs.  Bummer about the high cholesterol.  I'm lucky it runs in my family but I don't have it yet.  I can relate to the fasting though since I have to do that before I have work done on my esophagus.  I never feel very hungry during the week but the night before and the day of the procedure when I can't eat I'm starving :)
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.