Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:32:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 612
Total: 614

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: COVID-19 Thread  (Read 119984 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: COVID-19 Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2020, 11:00:52 am »
I'm not seeing much conflict in what you posted, it's basically a similar story line for flu season, some highlights of what is known so far and a summary of immunocompromised groups. Nothing new.

It's true there is plenty of misinformation and speculation being presented as facts or data online, my advice stick to reading from official or trusted sources and ignore the rest. End of the day asides from using common sense, there is not much you can do about this viral outbreak and there is no point getting worked up about someones opinions or speculations.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Delby

« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2020, 11:33:12 am »
Thanks Jim. You’re a great guy as you always take time to reply to everyone. We’re lucky to have you.

By conflict, I meant there are some sources that suggest we are more susceptible to having severe symptoms and others suggest we are at no greater risk. I just have a really bad feeling about this and feel like this could and is essentially the end of me. I appreciate it sounds very final but I just don’t fancy my chances against this thing.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2020, 11:49:28 am »
You're welcome.

My take on all this so far is some sources to be blunt are taking out of their backsides, as always. Drama sells clicks or papers.  ;)

Look there is factually nothing to suggest with a good CD4 count and UD viral load as a group we are more or less vulnerable so far for this virus. Those with untreated HIV or low CD4 counts might well be, that's, however, is also speculation based on the fact the same can be said about many illnesses, so realistically there is so far nothing new in that regards to report.

I do understand the concern, I hear you, but try to take some time out from reading this stuff online as it will rot your brain.

Best, Jim

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2020, 10:24:14 am »
Since HIV is not the only condition people might be living with and worried about in regards to the Coronavirus I'm adding the below links.

What People With Liver Disease Need to Know About the New Coronavirus
https://forums.hepmag.com/index.php?topic=5923.msg

What People With Cancer Need to Know About the New Coronavirus
https://forums.cancerhealth.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ibjpe9dlg3s2830amd0ob84307&topic=153.msg

Best, Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Texland

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2020, 03:33:12 am »
This article make me glad I found someone to take care of the regular medical stuff. My last two HIV docs didn't care about my high blood pressure. The new general practice doctor couldn't believe I wasn't on blood pressure medication. Now I am. Get your blood pressure checked and under control!

Anything we can do to stay healthy will help in the long run.

Top Coronavirus Doctor in Wuhan Says High Blood Pressure Is Major Death Risk

Patients with hypertension appear to be at a higher risk of dying from the coronavirus, said a top Chinese intensive care doctor who’s been treating critically ill patients since mid-January.

While there’s been no published research yet explaining why, Chinese doctors working in Wuhan, the central Chinese city where the virus first emerged, have noticed that infected patients with that underlying illness are more likely to slip into severe distress and die.

Of a group of 170 patients who died in January in Wuhan -- the first wave of casualties caused by a pathogen that’s now raced around the world -- nearly half had hypertension.

“That’s a very high ratio,” said Du Bin, director of the intensive care unit at Peking Union Medical College Hospital, in an interview with Bloomberg over the phone from Wuhan. He was among a team of top doctors sent to the devastated city two months ago to help treat patients there.

“From what I was told by other doctors and the data I can see myself, among all the underlying diseases, hypertension is a key dangerous factor,” said Du, one of the most respected critical care experts in China. “Though there is no research published on that yet, we believe hypertension could be an important factor in causing patients to deteriorate, leading to a bad prognosis.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-09/top-virus-doctor-says-high-blood-pressure-is-major-death-risk

Offline fabio

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 03:49:05 pm »
I've been going out normally,but I try to keep away from enclosed places. What I'm worried about is that my dad doesn't care much and he goes to the betting place to watch matches (champion's league) 😑......

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2020, 12:24:23 am »
https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-12-20-intl-hnk/index.html
US suspends travel from Europe: President Trump announced Wednesday night that travel from 26 European countries will be suspended for the next 30 days, starting Friday at midnight.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2020, 11:35:41 am »
Hiya,

Been a bit busy here since the Irish government announcement, got the kids at home.
But otherwise okay.

Irish government made the following announcement:

“From 6pm today, the following measures are being put in place. They will stay in place until March 29th. Schools, colleges, and childcare facilities will close from tomorrow. Where possible, teaching will be done online or remotely. Cultural institutions will close. Our advice is that all indoor mass gatherings of more than 100 people and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled. Arrangements are being made to ensure that everyone entering Ireland through our ports and airports is fully informed and self-isolates if they develop symptoms. You should continue to go to work if you can but where possible should work from home. In order to reduce unnecessary face to face interaction in the workplace, break times and working times should be staggered and meetings done remotely or by phone.”

https://www.gov.ie/en/speech/5a280b-statement-by-an-taoiseach-on-measures-to-tackle-covid-19-washington/

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2020, 11:50:58 am »

Want everyone to be safe.

Yet it is very interesting witnessing the various reactions to the virus.

Fact and Fiction are in the ring dueling it out too.

Links:

broken link removed

https://www.cnn.com/audio/podcasts/corona-virus

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/minnesota/articles/2020-03-12/health-department-covid-19-cases-in-minnesota-grow-to-9

« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 01:44:53 pm by iana5252 »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Delby

« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2020, 02:19:00 pm »
Jim, we’re behind you in the UK. BJ doesn’t seem to think it’s a good idea to close schools. One of the parents of my child’s class has come down with Covid. Likely now that my child has it. Seems that no one will escape this virus.

How you doing? How’s everyone feeling? Are you nervous Jim?

All the reports seem to suggest that we are only marginally worse off than the general population or maybe not even that. What do you think?

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2020, 02:49:05 pm »
"Scientists figure out how new coronavirus breaks into human cells"

https://www.livescience.com/how-coronavirus-infects-cells.html

I speculate Drugs and or a Vaccine is a long ways away.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2020, 02:53:34 pm »
Hiya,

Small correction to your post.

BJ doesn’t seem to think

Have you ever watched old episodes of "Have I got news for you"? The man is incapable of intelligent thought  ;D That said 52% of the voters are in the same group, but at least the NHS has 350 million extra per week to fight this pandemic ...  ;D

How you doing? How’s everyone feeling? Are you nervous Jim?

I'm fine thanks and no. I'm not more or less nervous than normal. Panicking or worrying about it is not going to solve anything so I am just getting on with my life.

Washing my hands more often though and staying clear of large gatherings, that's about as much as anyone can do.

One of the parents of my child’s class has come down with Covid. Likely now that my child has it. Seems that no one will escape this virus.

Sorry to hear that and understand it's scary, however, try not to let panic thoughts take over. Realistically in the UK & Ireland, we are all going to know someone who has or has had it by the time this is over, there is no avoiding it.

All the reports seem to suggest that we are only marginally worse off than the general population or maybe not even that. What do you think?

I still think the same I did last week, like with other infections, those with untreated HIV or with low CD4 counts might fall into a group with slightly higher risk. There is not much that individuals can do other than the normal hygiene steps and social distancing. 

The rest of us, well there is factually nothing to suggest with a good CD4 count and UD viral load as a group we are more or less vulnerable so far for this virus. It also depends if individuals have other underlying health issues. Anyhow, the same precautions apply, normal hygiene steps and social distancing during this outbreak like everyone should be doing.

BTW

UPDATED: What People With HIV Need to Know About the New Coronavirus
https://www.poz.com/article/people-hiv-need-know-new-coronavirus

Experts shed light on coronavirus response and its implications for people with HIV
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2020/experts-shed-light-coronavirus-response-and-its-implications-people-hiv
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 03:04:37 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2020, 03:15:03 pm »
"Scientists figure out how new coronavirus breaks into human cells"

https://www.livescience.com/how-coronavirus-infects-cells.html

I speculate Drugs and or a Vaccine is a long ways away.

Funny you mention it, Christian Lindmeier, World Health Organization was on the radio today. About 11 mins into the recording he joins the conversation and talks about infection rates, vaccines, drugs ect etc.

https://www.facebook.com/NiallBoylanAtNight/videos/642101239691552/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARBvOrKn85GRXuAYFQ-_UJuCqPm3bZ60uLDVdMyY0OtBg_ZR0_ifdgVHEWUpo0_NPCsYYSXMWv0nFtQx
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2020, 04:14:58 pm »
TRUMP DECLARES NATIONAL EMERGENCY:

What happened to trumps "Big Hoax" on the virus .  >:(

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-hold-friday-afternoon-press-conference-coronavirus-n1157981
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline fabio

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2020, 05:20:48 pm »
He seems to be demagogic and wants to seem almighty and powerful. He doesn't seem to understand that it's a pandemic and he should be worried and make preparations for the whole country.
People in Greece have gone mental (except the island I live in,because the 4 people that have the virus are stationary) and emptied all the rubbing alcohol from the stores,now I don't have any to put on my earing .
Some idiot politician here tried to telemarket some snake oil to "cure" the thing and he was charged (he is also a politician in the parliament). We are living epic times here.....

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2020, 05:53:23 pm »
He seems to be demagogic and wants to seem almighty and powerful. He doesn't seem to understand that it's a pandemic and he should be worried and make preparations for the whole country.
People in Greece have gone mental (except the island I live in,because the 4 people that have the virus are stationary) and emptied all the rubbing alcohol from the stores,now I don't have any to put on my earing .
Some idiot politician here tried to telemarket some snake oil to "cure" the thing and he was charged (he is also a politician in the parliament). We are living epic times here.....

During times of crisis or at least heightened excitement, you will always have morons making noise and people who try to profit from the situation.

Just don't get swept up in their drama  ;)

P.S
Talking about drama, This week I've watched: 

Zombieland, Zombieland double-tap, Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 days later, 28 weeks later, 2012, World war z and for good measure, Dallas buyers club, Outbreak, Quarantine 2008

So things could be worse, anyhow i'm ready to survive this.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:15:38 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2020, 04:10:21 am »
I love zombieland! You should watch "The coherence",it creeps the sh$t out of me,but it's a really good movie!

Offline Delby

« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2020, 07:15:11 am »
I don’t know how any of you have got the head for those types of movies. I’m happy watching mindless crap at the moment! Jim you’re a brave man!

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2020, 12:38:47 pm »
I don’t know how any of you have got the head for those types of movies. I’m happy watching mindless crap at the moment! Jim you’re a brave man!

Well could be worse, Zombie movies are fine, Old Yeller, on the other hand, I watched once and was traumatized for life.  ;D

I love zombieland! You should watch "The coherence",it creeps the sh$t out of me,but it's a really good movie!

Ill have to give it a try this week. Ill let you know.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2020, 12:39:54 pm »
Not much of an update here on the virus

Government advises against non-essential travel to six European countries
https://www.thejournal.ie/government-advises-against-non-essential-travel-to-six-european-countries-5046603-Mar2020/

How is everyone else doing? Hope you are all safe.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2020, 02:13:35 pm »
So in the UK we are still seemingly following the deeply flawed approach of gunning for  'herd immunity', which in a nutshell is that the virus will die off if enough % of the population are immune to it (so it struggles to spread) so you accept that lots of people will get the virus, but recommend strategies that make it more likely that the fittest, healthiest people are the ones that do and develop immunity, thus protecting the weaker or less healthy.

When someone brighter than I explain it, it sounds almost viable.

But the flaws and assumptions are huge :

- Assumes infection will lead to immunity. (There are reports from Asia in people being re-infected)
 - Assumes there is no viralogic mutation, such as there is with the flu each year
 - Assumes that a sufficient % of people will have the desired effect (There are many illnesses where we didn't develop herd immunity for...smallpox?)

It's so obviously not going to wash longer term, so expect our policy to change in the coming days, and for us to go into lock-down. It's what everyone expects, hence the worst thing about this whole saga so far - the sheer greed and selfishness of people buying stuff at the supermarket. Really depressing. So much for the wartime spirit!

A contributor on a podcast I listen to regularly (Remainiacs) yesterday expressed how depressing it is to not have faith or trust in a Prime Minister or Government at a time like this, when you *want* to be able to trust them without question. The whole Brexit debacle and Johnson's habit of continually lying and spinning to meet his own political ambition, regardless of how much it will fuck the country up longer term, has made any of that trust - at least to many of us in the 48% - impossible.

I personally think the scary unknown bit is not about HIV (as we have said, if UD with CD4's in normal range, we are no more at risk than the general population), but is about (a) how long this will last until we see a true peak and return to normal and (b) how those in our families and living around us DO have risks that make the virus far more dangerous, and what we can do as community representatives to help keep them as safe as possible, even if through our own behaviours.

Finally on a more flippant note -  I don't know if anyone played the game Plague Inc? I played it on my last flight to the US on my iPad and it was scary how quickly that shows a virus or bacterial infection spreading. Can't imagine playing that in pubic - laughing loudly when another country falls to Caveyvirus-20  - would go down too well with fellow passengers now though!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline fabio

« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2020, 02:27:44 pm »
My biggest fear is with the meds. Idk if they can order meds from outside if everything closes,not to mention I live on an island and I have to get my meds sent by ship and mail.
It was quite scary how people react in the Island by closing everything except supermarkets. There was not a single soul outside,but in a positive note I got to hike a lot in the quiet while blasting the music on my mini stereo.
Now that cavey mentioned the duration of the virus,I get really worried about how many of us will get infected. There has never been such huge panic with viruses.
I hope everyone will be safe on these weird times.

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2020, 03:24:43 pm »
Well the measures in place should limit the number of people infected, the big issue at the moment is not much is understood about this virus.

Once a vaccine is developed - much like the flu vaccine - we will be in a much better place.

Critical services, including medication manufacture/distribution should not be impact long term anywhere, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over that.

It's not the zombie apocalypse although it may feel like it!

My GF is panicking about her small business and the knock on impact of any form of lock-down, as she relies on other businesses purchasing from her. Aside from the elderly or those with compromised health, it's the small business owners who I feel for as well with all this. As long as it doesn't go on too long it should be okay - it's def a fingers crossed situation!
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2020, 03:38:12 pm »
So in the UK we are still seemingly following the deeply flawed approach of gunning for  'herd immunity', which in a nutshell is that the virus will die off if enough % of the population are immune to it (so it struggles to spread) so you accept that lots of people will get the virus, but recommend strategies that make it more likely that the fittest, healthiest people are the ones that do and develop immunity, thus protecting the weaker or less healthy.

If the viral outbreak only killed off white men with degrees from Elton, they would have had the nation locked down from day 1.  ;)

As it's only the poor, the elderly and the disabled that will die off we are instead seeing this  'herd immunity' bullshit approach in the UK.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dallas nk

« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2020, 03:48:30 pm »
Wondering should I be concerned? CD lingers at 337 and last VL was 70? Thoughts? Hate to be paranoid but won’t to realistic understand my level of threat...
09/20/2016-diagnosed cd4 41 cd%5.8 VL 34990
11/2016-post-poned treatment while awaiting to qualify for ARV study- cd4 29 cd%? VL?
12/2016-started treatment (Triumeq) this late because found out didn't qualify for research study
1/24/2017- cd4 233 cd%15 VL<40
4/27/2017 cd4 206 cd%18 VL <40
07/24/2017 cd4 227 cd%20.6 VL <40
10/31/2017 cd4 191 cd%23.9 VL 70
12/7/2017 cd4 248 cd%22.5 VL <40
1/30/2018 cd4 220 cd%27.5 VL <40
4/17/2018 cd4 295 cd%29.5 VL <40
8/9/2018 cd4 310 cd%31 VL <40
11/15/2018 cd4 293 cd%32.6 VL <40
02/12/2019 cd4 347 cd%31.5 VL <40
10/09/2019 cd4 380 cd%31.7 VL<40
01/30/2020 cd4 337 cd%37.4 VL 70(started Biktarvy)
06/05/2020 cd4 306 cd%38.3 VL 20
07/31/2020 cd4 235 cd%39.2 VL 20
08/28/2020 cd4 248 cd%31 VL <40
12/02/2020 cd4 329 cd%36.5 VL 160

Offline fabio

« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2020, 03:53:57 pm »
Yeah,I'm very worried about my brother working in the UK in a company where most people do business out of the country. I talk to him every day to make sure he is fine though.
The small businesses will take the huge hit,only takeaway type of places work normally now. It's a matter of time before everyone becomes a hypochondriac.
This reminds me of the Japanese anime "high school of the dead" where everyone becomes a zombie and there are 2 girls claiming they are bbfs forever while running,and then one gets caught by the zombies while still holding her hand ,the other friend replies with "let go of me. Bitch! I said let go!". Something similar is today with most people on the island

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2020, 04:06:51 pm »
Wondering should I be concerned? CD lingers at 337 and last VL was 70? Thoughts? Hate to be paranoid but won’t to realistic understand my level of threat...

I would not be worrying with your numbers or at least no more than anyone should at least. Worrying about things rarely does any good.  Just follow the WHO guidelines, so practice good handwashing and a bit of social distancing for the moment.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline dallas nk

« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2020, 04:10:05 pm »
Thanks Jim
09/20/2016-diagnosed cd4 41 cd%5.8 VL 34990
11/2016-post-poned treatment while awaiting to qualify for ARV study- cd4 29 cd%? VL?
12/2016-started treatment (Triumeq) this late because found out didn't qualify for research study
1/24/2017- cd4 233 cd%15 VL<40
4/27/2017 cd4 206 cd%18 VL <40
07/24/2017 cd4 227 cd%20.6 VL <40
10/31/2017 cd4 191 cd%23.9 VL 70
12/7/2017 cd4 248 cd%22.5 VL <40
1/30/2018 cd4 220 cd%27.5 VL <40
4/17/2018 cd4 295 cd%29.5 VL <40
8/9/2018 cd4 310 cd%31 VL <40
11/15/2018 cd4 293 cd%32.6 VL <40
02/12/2019 cd4 347 cd%31.5 VL <40
10/09/2019 cd4 380 cd%31.7 VL<40
01/30/2020 cd4 337 cd%37.4 VL 70(started Biktarvy)
06/05/2020 cd4 306 cd%38.3 VL 20
07/31/2020 cd4 235 cd%39.2 VL 20
08/28/2020 cd4 248 cd%31 VL <40
12/02/2020 cd4 329 cd%36.5 VL 160

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2020, 04:11:59 pm »
Yeah,I'm very worried about my brother working in the UK in a company where most people do business out of the country. I talk to him every day to make sure he is fine though.
The small businesses will take the huge hit,only takeaway type of places work normally now. It's a matter of time before everyone becomes a hypochondriac.

I am guessing your brother is reasonably young and in good health? If so try to relax. Nice to hear that you have frequent contact with each other though.  :)

This reminds me of the Japanese anime "high school of the dead" where everyone becomes a zombie and there are 2 girls claiming they are bbfs forever while running,and then one gets caught by the zombies while still holding her hand ,the other friend replies with "let go of me. Bitch! I said let go!". Something similar is today with most people on the island

Rule 1 and 29 jumps to mind

https://flic.kr/p/9J9jnS
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2020, 04:22:18 pm »
Thanks Jim

NP.

BTW, If you missed the expert summaries, I've included the links below.

UPDATED: What People With HIV Need to Know About the New Coronavirus
https://www.poz.com/article/people-hiv-need-know-new-coronavirus

Experts shed light on coronavirus response and its implications for people with HIV
https://www.aidsmap.com/news/mar-2020/experts-shed-light-coronavirus-response-and-its-implications-people-hiv

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline fabio

« Reply #80 on: March 14, 2020, 04:24:35 pm »
He is older than me (26) and we didn't talk a lot when he was here,we fought a lot. When he left we became closer haha.

Offline bjchap65

• Standard
« Reply #81 on: March 14, 2020, 05:42:26 pm »
I am curious to see once we finally get stats, how people with HIV fare with COVID 19?
I have read all about precautions and theoretical discussion on how we might be affected. I am assuming once testing is more widespread, hopefully some of those stats will come in. I am curious if people on ARV's will have some protection or if people on prep will have some protection. If anyone sees anything please post, am extremely curious. thanks.

Offline Delby

« Reply #82 on: March 14, 2020, 05:46:01 pm »
Caveyuk, what makes you assume that the supply chain of meds won’t be disrupted and at worst stopped all together. If factories close down, haulage companies cease to operate etc etc than it is entirely plausible. The scale of this is unprecedented and none of us can predict exactly how this may pan out.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: March 14, 2020, 06:39:03 pm »
@bjchap65

Welcome to the forum, as a new member can you please open an introduction thread and introduce yourself to the forum, let us know how are you doing, how treatment is going for you as an example etc.  It's standard for new members.

Thanks.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: March 14, 2020, 06:55:00 pm »
Caveyuk, what makes you assume that the supply chain of meds won’t be disrupted and at worst stopped all together. If factories close down, haulage companies cease to operate etc etc than it is entirely plausible. The scale of this is unprecedented and none of us can predict exactly how this may pan out.

Most nations, particularly western nations have additional stocks of medicines routinely built into the supply chain to cope with disruptions and most manufactures are able to produce or switch production to multiple locations for the vast majority of meds if needed.

I would not start to panic about "what if's" right now that are not directly on the table. this outbreak looks to be set for a few weeks, months per nation and critical manufacturing so far does not seem to have been affected to the level you have concerns with to my knowledge, with the exception of shortages in masks/gloves etc because joe public morons panicked and stocked up when they don't need it.   

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: March 14, 2020, 07:12:21 pm »
In a bit of good news, it does seem like the outbreak in China is continuing to settle. 

broken link removed
China's health authority says only eight more cases of coronavirus infection were reported in the country on Thursday. It's the first time that fewer than 10 cases have been reported since the authority began releasing such figures in January.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/coronavirus-china-reveals-just-eight-new-cases-amid-row-with-us-1.4202338
Chinese health officials announced eight new cases and seven additional deaths on Friday, in the strongest sign yet the outbreak appears to be coming under control in the epicentre.

China now has 80,813 confirmed cases and a death toll of 3,176. More than 64,000 patients have recovered to date on the Chinese mainland.

Five of Friday’s cases were in Wuhan, while three were people who had recently flown into the country.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:00:25 pm by iana5252 »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2020, 03:20:40 am »
We were told that is was only the elderly that were at risk. Now we are hearing that more than half of the ICU patients in The Netherlands are younger than 50.

@Jim: I suppose you too can read this article from yesterday:

https://www.ad.nl/dossier-coronavirus/40-a-50-nederlandse-coronapatienten-op-intensive-cares-meer-dan-de-helft-is-onder-de-vijftig~a058aad2/

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2020, 05:00:58 am »
Everyone is at risk of getting this and/or getting sick, although, the young i.e kids seem less severely affected and those who have underlying issues or older age seem at greatest risk of passing away.

As for the Dutch news, yeah I watch the NOS daily as my morning routine and my sister and parents live in Friesland.  Look it's early days with 50 people in the ICU so still a relatively small group,

Truth is we will just have to wait and see how the ICU rate continues and fatality rates pan out and if the trends follow the same as seen in China / Italy as the outbreak continues to develop.

12th of March  ECDC - Novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) 6th update.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/RRA-sixth-update-Outbreak-of-novel-coronavirus-disease-2019-COVID-19.pdf

13th of March
https://www.pharmaceutical-technology.com/comment/italy-coronavirus-outbreak/
Increasing cases of Covid-19 forces Italy into lockdown

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 05:05:49 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline virgo313

« Reply #88 on: March 15, 2020, 07:15:39 am »
A little update from my part of the world. Malaysia
Last 24 hours, a whopping 190 new case. Total now 428. 42 discharged.
Most from a religious gathering of 14.5K (14,500) people over 3 days event.

One issue in this cluster is it Is difficult to track them. Some of them say if they have it, it is Allah given fate. Crazy.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: March 15, 2020, 02:37:57 pm »
I think that if anyone reports worsening of proven covid-19 infection, standard protocol in many regions will be to admit to ICU - at the moment at least, so being in ICU does not equal death.

We get hit with flu strains every year, some not covered by the vaccine, and it kills a large number of people - mainly older folk with existing medical conditions. This is not really any different other than it seems a little more ruthless at taking out the vulnerable (although still with 98-99% survival rate) and we don't have a vaccine and no-one is immune as its a completely novel virus strain.

As it seems to affect the lower respiratory system most, it seems those with underlying chest conditions may be at a higher risk of complications (including those with conditions such as asthma), and should be most vigilant when it comes to things like social distancing and awareness of symptoms so help can be reached if necessary.

With a bit of luck this thing will peak in the coming weeks, and if vaccines can be fast-tracked hopefully the vast majority of us won't ever be exposed to any symptomatic illness. As long as we follow the universal guidelines about distancing, close contact, hand washing etc.

Spare a thought as well for those with regular colds. My GF is just recovering from a cold (very nose-based, so not cover-19!) and has the routine cough at the end of it all. She said walking through town, folk were staring at her like she was a leper and keeping their distance whenever she coughed! She was mortified at this, but I did see some tactical advantages of affecting a cough just to get away from people I'd like to avoid :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2020, 05:12:19 pm »

With a bit of luck this thing will peak in the coming weeks, and if vaccines can be fast-tracked hopefully the vast majority of us won't ever be exposed to any symptomatic illness. As long as we follow the universal guidelines about distancing, close contact, hand washing etc.

I appreciate good thoughts and attempts at helping reduce anxiety, but I have to point out that this is most assuredly NOT what the scientists and doctors are saying.
We don't know when the peak will hit -- it will depend on people doing the right thing.  Hope is great -- but action is what is required. 
A vaccine, even if "fast-tracked" will not be available for widespread delivery for a year or more.  It simply does not pay to minimize this in any way (not sure that was your intent, but it was how I read it), as it only gives people license to minimize their actions.  The same goes for comparing this to "the flu".  Most people  do NOT see the flu as a big deal - despite how many people die from it each year -- so the comparison is just another way that people can rationalize their way out of following directions to minimize social contact.

I am seeing too many people on my social media feeds, still hanging out in taverns, casinos and other group settings.  The "I have to live my life" mindset is the enemy of us all.  Short term inconvenience has the ability to produce long-term gain -- in the form of not overwhelming our health care systems to the point that decisions about who to treat must be made.

My clinical laboratory and Public Health/Epidemiology education makes this whole thing very interesting from an intellectual POV, but as a regular citizen of this planet - it scares me to death just how cavalier some are being. (that last statement is a general one and not directed at anyone in particular)

Mike   

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2020, 06:38:35 pm »
I appreciate good thoughts and attempts at helping reduce anxiety, but I have to point out that this is most assuredly NOT what the scientists and doctors are saying.

I am seeing too many people on my social media feeds, still hanging out in taverns, casinos and other group settings.  The "I have to live my life" mindset is the enemy of us all.

Mike

I agree with everything you said Mike,  100 percent. Everything that I am reading or seeing is not looking good.

Luck, Hope , Hunches and miracles, is not going to slow this down .  Common sense will !

That mess today at O'hare airport, just made me cringe. 1000's of people crammed together.

And listening to trump an hour ago didn't help.  He was more pleased about lowering the interests rates down to 0.25 %. Get ready for probably another 1800 point drop tomorrow on the DOW. The interest rate cut isn't going to help trump.

I was scheduled at the VAMC, to have an eye exam this coming Friday,  but I think I am going to cancel it tomorrow. No sense to be around a hospital unless it is absolutely necessary.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/airline-news/2020/03/15/coronavirus-screening-chaos-awaits-travelers-returning-us-airports/5053421002/

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2020, 06:46:37 pm »

Well, following the guidelines issued about social distancing, close contact, hand washing etc. is what is being asked by doctors and scientists. The opposite trend to what you mentioned is the halfwits and paranoid online spreading fear and getting upset when you go out grocery shopping or walking the dog. (Not aimed at anyone here) It this nonsense that is causing panic and problems, and harmful to supply chains and critical services, I'm hoping it does not continue to escalate.

Social distancing and the measures people have been recommended to take in most places are being misunderstood, it does not mean 24/7 lockdown and allowing yourself to starve to death, life does have to go on for a large number of people.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 06:50:45 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2020, 06:48:05 pm »

Here's a little bit of the news here in the Tampa area: ( Schools officially closed)

We still have our primary scheduled for Tuesday, unless the GOV decides to postpone that as well.

https://www.baynews9.com/fl/tampa/news/health/coronavirus

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2020, 06:51:09 pm »

While driving around today we also noticed many restaurants with empty parking lots.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2020, 06:57:12 pm »

While driving around today we also noticed many restaurants with empty parking lots.

Makes sense that people are reducing those kinds of gatherings and activities, prehaps in part the message of social distancing is kicking in.

Here gov has called on pubs ect to close until the 29th of Match
https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/coronavirus-ireland-all-pubs-asked-to-close-as-40-new-cases-of-covid-19-confirmed-39045775.html
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2020, 07:10:10 pm »

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2020, 07:24:24 pm »

Same in a couple states here so far:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/live-updates-ohio-illinois-closing-bars-and-restaurants-to-stem-coronavirus-federal-reserve-slashes-interest-rates-to-zero/ar-BB11cwEA?li=BBnb7Kz

To be honest not a bad move. Looks like most nations are getting the message from the experts and starting to act on it with the shocking exception of the UK

The World Health Organization questions the UK policy of allowing COVID19 spread.
https://poz.com/blog/now-herd-everything

"such an experiment could, at least in theory, lead to over 40 million infections and 500,000 to 800,000 deaths"

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 08:30:25 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2020, 09:03:40 pm »
@bocker3

It wasn't my intention to trivialise the situation. I, like most people don't have a clue how this will pan out. What we are seeing around the world is unprecedented.

It's a fine line between appearing too laid back/complacent and over-reacting, which is something it's easy to see with some of the selfish stockpiling thats happening at the moment. It's all unknown territory and we will only know more as the days pass.

Trying to find balanced articles that are not just focused on the worst-case  in the online media blitz of articles can be difficult, but maybe this is the one that focuses on our general ability to defend against pandemics compared to previously, and thus should be a source of *some* encouragement
https://inews.co.uk/opinion/comment/coronavirus-symtoms-cases-panic-vaccine-antivirals-recovery-2441729

HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2020, 09:23:33 pm »
Totally different, I was looking at this today.

A visual history of pandemics
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/03/a-visual-history-of-pandemics?fbclid=IwAR2CxmXUOkADhvl74i1cQ5MpvEdI6UVqOZex0VlACfwBrj1wOIVhBBIIO-s

I did not find the article so interesting or insightful but I did like the image representing past pandemics.

Link to the image if you want to view in a bigger size. https://assets.weforum.org/editor/OidbpPf3QMtt2SvrmNdR4feAAmAiMHhNm59Ak5_7lp0.jpg

Image: Visual Capitalist
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.