Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:32:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 224
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A peptide developed in Israel causes HIV infected cells to self destruct  (Read 6076 times)

Offline Cosmicdancer

The headline states "Israeli scientists see breakthrough in AIDS cure" even though this drug is in an early phase of testing in a lab.  The article claims the drug now being tested causes HIV-infected cells to self-destruct without harming the rest of the body. I guess we can see what happens with research involving this drug over the next 7 years or so.

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-scientists-see-breakthrough-in-aids-cure/?utm_source=The%20Times%20of%20Israel%20Daily%20Edition&utm_campaign=329a14d3de-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_adb46cec92-329a14d3de-54498813
Summer, 2007 - &$#@?
November, 2007 - Tested poz, 300,000 vl, 560 cd4
Feb, 2008 - 57,000 vl, 520 cd4, started Atripla
2/2008 - 5/2015 - undetectable on Atripla
May, 2015 - UD, switched to Complera
September, 2015 - UD, 980 cd4, switched to Stribild (Complera interacted with acid reflux medication)
January, 2016 - Stribild, UD, 950 cd4
June, 2016 - UD, 929 cd4

Offline terrymoore

I saw this and watched the interview with one of the researches. I haven`t seen any threads re this except for the ones in Israel. I am wondering if this is the company just trying to raise funds.
The researcher basically said that this was a revolutionary break-though and that she is certain that there will be a cure within 5 years or less.
I am not buying the story...

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
I am not buying the story...

its just a test tube result and big claims nothing more than that.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
Look I headlines and press releases that all this type of hype is to generate attention and funds.

Its decades away from anything even being in the slightest bit potentially real, in the meantime they will keep reporting about the culture test "breakthrough" from time to time and the media will make headlines and people will get over excited for no reason.

Headline should read:
Small decade on and 3 months away human trails still not started, no progress but we the media are having a slow news day.   

Jim

2010: (Treatment peptides - Israel)
http://www.israel21c.org/new-israeli-treatment-kills-hiv-cells/

Headline: A new treatment that destroys HIV-infected human cells without damaging healthy ones has been developed by a team of Israeli researchers.

When the treatment, which was patented earlier this year, was applied to human cell cultures, the infected human cells disappeared in two weeks, and did not reappear up to two weeks later.

The study by Loyter, Prof. Assaf Friedler, Dr. Aviad Levin, and Dr. Zvi Hayouka

Jan 11th 2016 (Treatment peptides - Israel)
http://www.jewishpress.com/news/hebrew-u-scientists-discover-way-to-kill-hiv-infected-cells/2016/01/11/

The peptides, together with current medications, have already been tested on cultures of HIV infected human cells

Prof. Abraham Loyter and Prof. Assaf Friedler

Jan 2016 -  LOL  :) (Treatment peptides - Israel)
http://www.virtualjerusalem.com/blogs.php?Itemid=19228

Although the scientific community does not see this discovery as significant, researchers in Israel are optimistic that this treatment will be able to help those who are infected with HIV.

October 2016 (Treatment peptides - Israel)

http://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-scientists-see-breakthrough-in-aids-cure/?utm_source=The%20Times%20of%20Israel%20Daily%20Edition&utm_campaign=329a14d3de-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2016_11_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_adb46cec92-329a14d3de-54498813

Headline
Israeli scientists see breakthrough in AIDS cure

The drug was inserted into test tubes containing the blood of ten AIDS patients currently being treated at the hospital, and was found to decrease the HIV virus count in the blood samples by as much as 97 percent in just eight days, Channel 2 reported Monday.

Abraham Loyter and Assaf Friedler

So my take on this is well the "Boy who cried wolf" jumps to mind.
To be honest the media around the world is all as bad as each other when it come to reporting on health science but i have to admit that personally I put the British media, Israeli media and North-Korean media in the same cat litter category.

If we believed them (and I don't) they have had breakthroughs, world firsts and cures coming out of their *&*&* for nearly everything a dozen times over. 

So stay cool and don't believe what you read in the media.

Jim

« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:52:09 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."

So stay cool and don't believe what you read in the media.

Jim

;) Media:  "And there is also a lovely Brooklyn Bridge for Sale. Asking price a mere $5 (USD)! Act Now!"

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
;) Media:  "And there is also a lovely Brooklyn Bridge for Sale. Asking price a mere $5 (USD)! Act Now!"

Yep.... ::)
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
LOL   :)
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline terrymoore

what bothers me is the interview one of the researches gave on a popular news channel. The reporter asked her " so what is so different this time? Often we have heard about break-throughs and cures just around the corner. Is this one real? Is the cure just round the corner!" The researcher`s response was "absolutely yes! [explanation about their technology vs the current]. I can say with great confidence that there will be a cure for HIV within 5 years or less!".
Totally irresponsible.
BTW - the article got me thinking - what if there was  cure? Do i really want to be cured? There are SOME advantages to being POZ - don`t you think? I guess that is a different thread.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
The researcher`s response was "absolutely yes! [explanation about their technology vs the current]. I can say with great confidence that there will be a cure for HIV within 5 years or less!".

>:( >:(  >:( That totally pisses me off, man it is one of the few things that really boils my blood when they say that kind of crap. 6 years ago the same groups said they were 3 months ago from human clinical study, 6 years on and they are still pissing about with the same test tubes so much for 3 months - lol

The number of times we here claims like this in the media it is amazing and its just rubbish and irresponsible  Last time it was 2 years by the Brits, but as we all know the Brits keep claiming this every few years, nothing comes out of it.

The other topic about "what if" would we want it well yeah that's another topic i agree. Could be interesting however it could be upsetting for a lot of people so not a topic I would start.

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline DANIELtakashi

Yes, that makes me feel mad.
Those people are as irresponsible as those who talk about alternatives.

Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline harleymc

Re: A peptide developed in Israel causes HIV infected cells to self destruct
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:20 am »
I wonder what goes through the mind of researchers who can cause cell death in cultures.
If this technology was brought forward to people we'd have massive cell die off maybe even multiple organ failure. Just how much brain and other organ damage would a 'cure' be worth?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.