Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:10:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i seem to be on a down hill spiral...  (Read 5378 times)

Offline mitch777

i seem to be on a down hill spiral...
« on: November 26, 2012, 08:07:28 pm »
hi everyone,

i haven't been on the forums too much these days as i have been feeling like crap.
the worst fatigue that i can remember.
any LTS seem to hit a wall and have difficulty knowing why?
i have been on atripla since it became available.
maybe a med change??
still waiting (3 weeks) for a referal from my ID doc for an endrochronologist due to odd testosterone issues.
weakness in my arms and legs is a major issue.
ok,
enough already.
any help? ???
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

Re: i seem to be on a down hill spiral...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 08:22:27 pm »
I'm not suggesting it's your case, but I mistakenly refer to my bouts of depression as fatigue.  I sometimes dwell on the losses due to this virus and it sends me down deep.  I lessen those triggers but it happens time to time.

Staying away isn't the answer either way.  Reaching out for support and interacting with others who completely understand is a valuable commodity.  I tend to do that also when I suffer periods of what I call "my funk".

Not sure if low testosterone causes fatigue and hopefully someone more versed will chime in soon.

Wishing you well.

Wolfie

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
I don't have any good answer for you about the "funk" - except we all fall into it from time to time. I think people dealing with serious diseases/illnesses fall into them more often (probably has something to do with us suffering from PTSD). Being sick, being tired, reliving bad times, missing a late partner, the holidays - all these things are guaranteed to bring about the funk.

I think you have to try to decide what's causing your funk. Then you have to do something about it. And then you have to wait until your action plan makes some changes in your life. ::) all easier said that done of course; but doing nothing at all is sure to NOT help.  ;)

i have been on atripla since it became available.
maybe a med change??
if it's not broke, then don't fix it.
If the Atripla hasn't been adversely affecting you prior to now, I would try to make a change elsewhere than changing the med regimen that's been working. ;)

best wishes for getting out of the funk - especially in this potentially funk-producing time of year. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 07:54:45 am »
thanks guys,

i'm sure depression is part of it but the weakness in my arms and legs has been a problem for a couple of years now and it has been getting progressively worse.
i feel that my muscles are wasting away.
getting really pissed hearing from my doc to excercise more. it is not working.
i read that low T can cause this. i am on androgel but my T levels are up to near normal levels at times and then they drop like a rock for some reason.
hence the need to see an endrochronologist.
i have bugged the doctors office several times for his referal but am getting nowhere. ugh!
will call again today.
also have my shrink appointment today, so i will vent to her.
she is a fiesty red-head and will probably call him too.

i hate to bitch and moan sometimes on this site because there are SO many people here that have MUCH more difficult challenges.
i just get worn down and frustrated at feeling like i am always taking 1 step forward and 2 or 3 steps backward, for years and years. :(
generally i am an upbeat guy but it has been a struggle to maintain a positive attitude lately.
thanks again for support. ;)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:03 am »
Hey Mitch,

It is possible that the testosterone issue may be playing a part in this. Diminished testosterone can bring on fatigue, etc.

But what struck me is the feeling you say you have in your extremities. You say your arms and legs ach, you feel weak and like your muscles are wasting away.

This is precisely how I felt when my CPKs were highly elevated. Now, I am probably an anomaly, but my weakness got so bad I was having trouble walking or driving a car.

Perhaps you could ask your doctor if he has checked your CPK levels.

Just a thought.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:58:21 am »
hi mark,

i did a quick look up of CPK and see that it is a test that indicates muscle damage.
i stopped taking lipitor in October of 2011 as i thought this might have been a contributing factor. (was on 40 mg. for about 10 years)
tried taking red yeast rice for 8 months (i know, natural, but still a statin) but my cholestrol went up. went back on lipitor for one week (in May) and it hit me like a brick wall with muscle aches and weakness so i told my doc that i will NOT use it any longer. (stopped the red yeast rice too.)
He seemed to think that i would have the same problems with any statin, so now i am living with uncontrolled cholestrol.
my diet is'nt too bad. think heredity plays the major role for me.
anyway...
if statins were the culprit, i am not seeing any improvement at all.
if it is something else causing my CPK levels to be elevated i'm not sure what that would be.
any ideas? ???
i see my doc next week and will ask him about a CPK test. if it ends up high, maybe he will stop pushing me to excercise and figure out what is the real issue.
(the muscle aches pretty much went away after stopping Lipitor but the weakness remains and seems to be actually getting a bit worse.) :(

thanks mark!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 09:59:52 am by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:29:40 pm »
Oh, the old Lipitor thing.  I too have lipid issues and had my 1st heart attack at 36 as a direct result.  Lipitor made me feel horrible including the fatigue.  Fast forward a few years and I started a different statin with fantastic results.  Perhaps consider a different one.

Wolfie

Offline mitch777

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »
thanks wolfie,
any suggestions?
i was surprised my doc seemed to give up so quickly on the idea of another statin, although i did do some research and it does seem that all statins have the potential of muscle damage.
i would be a bit nervous trying one with my current muscle weakness.

and YIKES! a heart attack so young?!!
you have been through the wringer dear! ;)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:30:00 am »
Hey Mitch,

Like you, the statins are not an option. I have tried controlling my lipids with diet and exercise, to mixed results and, most recently, not-so-good results.

Regarding the CPKs, mine never went back to normal levels. My doctor checks mine once or twice a year and they are always elevated.

My doctor isn't pleased with this, but there isn't much we can do.

I share the frustration you feel. I sometimes feel the same way.

I don't have any easy good advice, just remember we are together in this, so you aren't facing it alone.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline pozbudnc

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 11:37:51 pm »
I have had AIDS for about 27 years.  I have gone through periods where I did not exercise regularly and that really caused medical problems for me.  For me, lifting weights on a fairly regular basis has been extremely helpful.  When I don't exercise on a fairly regular basis, I sometimes experience bouts of depression and fatigue.  I don't exercise every day, and lately I have been exercising even less frequently, and I have had my own bouts of depression.  I went out yesterday and walked several miles, and today I seemed to have twice as much energy as I have had in the last several weeks.

Also this is the time of the year when people tend to experiencce depression for a variety of reasons.  What you might want to do is find at least one activity that you really enjoy, and spend a little extra time on that activity.  I know how tough it can be to live with this disease, so every once in a while, you need to give yourself credit for how well you are managing a very difficult disease. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:11 pm »
I've never dealt with elevated CPK's so trying different statins was always an option.  I'm currently on Pravastatin with excellent results.  You might want to question your doctor on this. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.