Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:25:08 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: This New Forum Deal As A Communication Tool Between Positive And Negative  (Read 10335 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Peter and the Mod Squad:

I am interpreting this new forum as a good connection place between poz and neg groups, too- not just for concerned neg people to talk amongst themselves.  Am I right or wrong in that?  As in...I could see someone who has a poz loved one in their lives coming forth to pose questions about how to approach subjects or deal with certain circumstances, and having those of us on the poz side step forth with our take on how best to go about it.  Rather, give advice on how we as poz people would receive such statements or actions on their part.  As a way of us helping each other with any potential awkwardness around certain situations and avoiding dancing around subjects.  Learning to help without overstepping bounds and such.  Perhaps one might brand it 'Miss Manners for the High Five Set'.  Am I making sense here?  If so, what is your take on that?

Tim
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 02:04:02 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: This New Forum Deal As A Communication Tool Between Pozitive And Negative
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 01:20:26 pm »
Tim,

It is only partly that. This is also a place where people who are close to someone who is "living with" can talk to each other about the issues they face that we might not fully understand, just as we have issues they might not fully understand.

For example, we may be able to understand and tell them about what it feels like to be constantly asked "are you ok?", but maybe they need to talk to others who are also anxiously asking that question, instead of us. Does that make sense?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: This New Forum Deal As A Communication Tool Between Positive And Negative
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 02:03:36 pm »
Ann,

Yes, it does make sense.  Yeah, I got that about a place for them to talk with one another (and I am all for it), I was just confirming that the part I was talking about above was, in fact,  also a planned part of this new forum.  I am hoping a lot of us on both sides will experience a whole bunch of, "Wow! I never thought about it like that..." moments here when we read perspectives coming from the other direction.  At least, that is what I am hoping for on a personal level...and why I have every intention of keeping an eye on this forum. 

Tim
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline bear60

Re: This New Forum Deal As A Communication Tool Between Pozitive And Negative
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 02:12:44 pm »
Ann
"This is also a place where people who are close to someone who is "living with" can talk to each other about the issues they face that we might not fully understand, just as we have issues they might not fully understand. " quote Ann
Thank you Ann. This is so important!  The first support group I attended (for example) was one for "Lovers and Friends of People With AIDS" as at the time I was trying to learn how to be a caregiver to my partner who had "AIDS".  It was very very important and beneficial for everyone in this group to be able to express fears and concerns away from the ears of the "AIDS" patient. It is a sad day that we have come to when support groups do not exist for everyone who has need of one.  But AIDMEDS certainly does act as a support group for many people.  I hope for this forum will fulfill its mission.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 02:27:59 pm »
Yeah!  Well said, Bear!  I do have high hopes for this forum as a benefit for the caregiver people you are talking about...addressing issues for themselves that are off of our 'poz' radars.  I just wanted to kind of promote the point that we poz folks would likely do well to check in on this forum ourselves now and again...because we might just have our eyes opened to a lot that we don't see, and we might be able to post something now and again that could help the loved ones and caregivers see things in a new way also.  I'm just seeing the potential for all kinds of benefit for everyone all around.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2006, 02:42:11 pm »
WHOA!  I almost missed something important in Bear's post:  He said, "It is very important and beneficial for everyone in this group to be able to express fears and concerns away from the ears of the 'AIDS' patient."

That's really what I am getting at:  I think this forum can serve as a great place for some of us to step forth as proxy people for the 'AIDS patients' from time to time....and vice versa, if it might shed a little light on some situation in a beneficial way.  Like...if they have a concern gnawing away at them but are concerned about vocalizing it to the 'ears of the AIDS patient'.  Other caregiver could share their experiences on that issue, but there might also be a place in such threads for us pozzies to say something on the issue.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 02:58:03 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
The whole subject of feelings is one of the most neglected in the epidemic. The emotions of those who are living with HIV and those who are variously connected to them, whatever their HIV status often go unnoticed or not sufficiently respected.

In general we're encouraged to pop pills all too quickly to change the feelings we have rather than live with them, learn to tolerate them and to not be ashamed of having them.  Having those feelings doesn't mean something is wrong. It means we're alive and we're having reactions and thoughts to situations, and sometimes it's a complex mix.
Now someone may say, yah but what about depression, don't you need to take something for that.

Being sad, angry, unhappy, frightened, feeling blue and lonesome, being excited, confused, isolated and many other feelings are by any means a sign of depression as such. They're part of how we are wired. And left by ourselves too often we feel as if there's something wrong with us for having those feelings. Or guilty about them if they're not exactly pretty. 

So I'm very glad we have this new section. As Tim and others have pointed out this has the potential to be a real learning place for all concerned. Hopefully people will speak up about their specific situations and experiences which will help all of us.

Andy Velez

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
I'm still miffed my suggestion of a forum for "Someone I think is a rat-bastard has HIV" wasn't eagerly accepted.  A forum like that could be very beneficial.

Boo (hoo hoo)
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Don't sulk, Boo. Your idea hasn't been forgotten.

We're just looking to create the proper banner for it and a very special place of its own.
Andy Velez

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
Thank you, Andy.   I'm happy to know AIDSmeds is willing to accept bold new concepts that deal vitally with the world of the HIV affected.

I'll gladly be a moderator for the new forum when it's implemented to take some of the heat off of you and Ann.

Boo
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 06:49:56 pm »
I'm still miffed my suggestion of a forum for "Someone I think is a rat-bastard has HIV" wasn't eagerly accepted.  A forum like that could be very beneficial.

Don't be surprised if you get an influx of members from Richmond writing thread titles like, "This asshole I know named Benj has HIV, and I laughed and laughed and laughed."

It'll make me proud.  So proud that I might start a parade for myself.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline med forum

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 09:00:12 am »
Andy

I agree with you.....I'm thrilled that I found this site as well as the forums. I feel really comfortable
that I can come on the boards and share with others. I hope that this particular forum will gain more and more popularity among those who are pos as well as those who are in whatever way connected or affected
by HIV or AIDS.

Keep the posts coming!

Peace & health!    ;D
Peace & health

Offline dragonrainsd

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 04:46:58 am »
The whole subject of feelings is one of the most neglected in the epidemic.

I so definitely agree on this Andy! I work in the DDP Health Care field and well it gets rough from time to time. Usually it is because of exactly that people will ignore their feelings or are told they are not valid for whatever reason. Feelings are definitely important. They effect/affect (currently can't remeber the right one to use). Thank you for saying that so brilliantly!

dragonrainsd

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.