Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:35:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 606
Total: 606

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: POS PERSONALS ! NOT SECURE !  (Read 9703 times)

Offline weasel

POS PERSONALS ! NOT SECURE !
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:39:05 am »
Hullo ALL ,
                I am doing well !

This morning I logged on to Pos Personals !

MY PROFILE  DETAILS  HAVE BEEN  CHANGED !

I have NO idea  how anyone can change MY  details ?

Not  ALL of them , but a significant amount of info was  changed !

I will NOW  have to change  my  profile  name and  details !

BE CAREFUL ! , I HAD NO IDEA PEOPLE COULD DO THIS !

GOOD DAY TO YOU ALL ,
                                                                         Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: POS PERSONALS ! NOT SECURE !
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 08:50:50 am »
Hi Carl, glad to hear you're doing well.

You need to direct your complaint to the people who run the POZ personals portion of this website. Those of us who are admin and mods in the forums have no access to POZ personals on that level. If you click on the bright pink box on the top of the main POZ personals page, you'll get a pop-up that says:

Avoid scammers

Scammers are becoming an increasing problem on POZ Personals. Here are some tips on how not to get duped:

· Trust your instincts! If it doesn't seem right, it probably isn't.

· Any POZ Personals member who is asking you for money is either a scammer or is simply violating POZ Personals rules on soliciting.

· NEVER give out personal information such as Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, credit card account numbers, etc.

· Report all scammers to personals@poz.com. Make sure you include their username and any messages they sent to you. We need your help to catch them!

Even though this isn't a scammer situation, that email is the same one you need for your complaint. Only they can look into this further for you.

I can give you some suggestions though...

For someone to have gained access to your account, they would have to know your password. If it is a very simple one based on your name, birthdate, or other obvious information about your life, then it could be easily cracked. Commonly used ones like 12345, qwerty, "password" (using the word itself as the password) and similar are also easily figured out.

Is it possible that your partner may know your password?

Please make sure you change your password to something YOU can remember but others couldn't figure out. I'm sure if you google something like "creating safe paswords" you'll get more information about keeping your password safe.

Ann
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:55:08 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline weasel

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:53 am »
Thanks Ann ,
                    I will do that !

NO  Bob does NOT know pass-word  nor has Bob used a computer for 25 years !

He  HATES them !  LOL

Have a great day !
                                                                        Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:07:47 am »
You're welcome, Carl.

Make sure you do both - send an email and  change your password. You don't have to change your profile name (unless the prankster changed it), just the password.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 09:17:25 am »
No website is really secure if a hacker wants to get into it. They just broke into the power grid last week and they have hacked into the Pentagon several times. It's just frustrating but it makes IT security folks work that much harder to over come hackers.

Offline weasel

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:50 am »
HEY Rapid  :) ,
                       I have to wonder if anyone else has been altered ?

I do know that my issue with " RADIO SHACK "  could be the answer !

Radio Shack  has  my old computer , and as it had frozen I was unable to

remove  my info !

BUT  I NEVER  have the computer  remember my  Passwords , as laptops

can be lost so easily !

Anyway , I don't have any Important  info on it !

I am OLD an do NOT trust  security  of  online  banking or any  type of money  transactions !

And of course  my  personal  info  is  vague ?

Who knows

be good , be healthy ,
                                                                  Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Texan38

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 12:27:57 pm »
Hmm, what's funny is that I received a notice from Poz Personals that I had a response. When I logged on and read the message, it was from a female informing me she liked my profile and appreciated my response but she had found someone with whom she started a relationship with.  HUH? I had no idea what the heck she was talking about. I know I didn't respond to any females' ad. I just deleted it and had forgotten all about it.

Oh and Carl, I too do not trust the internet for any money transactions. I still mail out checks to pay my bills!  :D
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 12:31:20 pm »
Carl, you never know. Hope they would have better reputable people working for them.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 12:37:31 pm »
I've used on line banking/bill paying for years and have never had a problem.  It's incredibly convenient to set up payments all at once, but be able to select different dates for the payments to go out, and never have to deal with stamps, envelopes, mailboxes and/or post offices.  Not trusting this sort of thing reminds me of 70 year olds who refused to use ATM cards back in the 80's.

Also, you can set it up so utility companies send your monthly bill electronically to your on line banking account, and thus cut down on paper waste.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline David_CA

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:52:21 pm »
Hmm, what's funny is that I received a notice from Poz Personals that I had a response. When I logged on and read the message, it was from a female informing me she liked my profile and appreciated my response but she had found someone with whom she started a relationship with.  HUH? I had no idea what the heck she was talking about. I know I didn't respond to any females' ad. I just deleted it and had forgotten all about it.

Oh and Carl, I too do not trust the internet for any money transactions. I still mail out checks to pay my bills!  :D

I also got a similar response from a female, which I'm definitely NOT seeking!   :D

As to not trusting the internet for transactions... I guess one might think it's safer to put a check in an envelope and either mail it (hopefully not in a private mail box) or drop it off in person.  A payment made in paper surely passes through more hands than one made electronically, and who knows how reputable those folks are.  Like Miss P, hubby and I have used online payments for years with no problems. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:25 pm »
I also got a similar response from a female, which I'm definitely NOT seeking!   :D

As to not trusting the internet for transactions... I guess one might think it's safer to put a check in an envelope and either mail it (hopefully not in a private mail box) or drop it off in person.  A payment made in paper surely passes through more hands than one made electronically, and who knows how reputable those folks are.  Like Miss P, hubby and I have used online payments for years with no problems. 

I get that a lot, even the ones form overseas, I just delete em' I told one female who lives here in the US, that "Honey I like the same thing you do, "I'M Queer", so, that took care of that  :o
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 02:32:42 pm »
Why are all of you partnered folks slutting around the internet?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 02:36:15 pm »

:o  And with women, no less!  ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 03:00:02 pm »
A few day ago had a message just like you discirbed.I was sure what to make of it.
Scooter

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 03:02:38 pm »
A few day ago had a message just like you discirbed.I was sure what to make of it.Because like me have nothing better to do.And on rare occations I get to make a new Friend.
Scooter

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 03:13:13 pm »
I have used internet banking for years, and never had a problem.   As Miss P states, it saves on stamps, trips to banks/post offices, etc.   Also, I do not pay ANY cost at all for banking.  It is totally free for me (Regions Bank) if you 1. have direct deposit  2.  use online bill paying .   Even back in the 70's, I remember paying $6 or $8 a month for a checking account!   I use very few paper checks, some months only one, the one I pay my rent with (landlord comes by to pick up).

I hate to get behind someone at the grocery store or at Wal-Mart who is paying by check.   Why not get a debit card?  It's the same thing....just SO MUCH EASIER and faster.  Wal-Mart runs the checks through a scanner (thus using it as a debit card) and then hands the check back to the person!

Online banking is fantastic, in my opinion.   ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:16:06 pm by AlanBama »
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 03:28:42 pm »
Hi Ann/Philly

..and

:o  And with women, no less!  ;D

I'm sure there are a few of us waiting to hear about THAT little Gem of information.. ;)

WEASEL..It's good to see you back and keeping ell.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Dwayn20

• dbscooter0@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 03:36:01 pm »
I am to scared to do online banking.Don,t get me wrong my little disability check is gone before I can enjoy it.
Scooter

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 04:58:35 pm »
Also, you can set it up so utility companies send your monthly bill electronically to your on line banking account, and thus cut down on paper waste.

If the utility and credit card companies would stop selling insert space/statement stuffers they could save a few more trees.  Imagine, an entire month without a $1 premium offer from Globe Life  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 05:03:17 pm »

Nothing wrong with keeping your options open, with Death, Extreme sickness, and the lack of a sex life, ( do to health reasons) I don't think it's a bad idea ;D even my otherhalf knows about my POZ-Profile, he was the one that help me fill-it-out ( just incase something tragic happened to him, he's a lot sicker than I'am), and, he told me, that if something should happen, he just wants me to be happy, and not all alone ,and to live my life! the sex part of all of this is totally up to me, currently tho, I really don't have a lotta time to invest into that, as taking care of someone, is a full-time-job, I'm up by 6AM, and in bed by, at least 10PM, and at the end of the day, I'm so beat , I can't do anything else :-\
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 05:17:25 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline weasel

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 09:48:39 pm »
My little " honey Bun "  was   pissed when I showed him my

ALTERED  profile !

He had NO idea that I emailed or conversed with people I concider

to be  "space"  Friends !

I KNOW  a few people on here  personally and we have emailed !

Bob was NOT a happy Camper  today !

When he read that I liked to talk HE felt THAT  was his duty !

Well  , it is and it ain't !

I need  HIV  support and YOU  guys  give it to me !

So I will  stick around when I need to know  there IS a world out there !

and I do THANK ALL OF YOU  :-*

Carl

" Live and let Live "

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 06:35:01 am »
When you log into poz personals, and you type your user name or password incorrectly, it displays what you typed in clear text.  This makes it very easy to hack even for an amateur.

I would suggest that your computer itself is insecure and you install a firewall and password protection program.  There are plenty of them out there but I suggest sticking with things like symantec because they are common and lots of people use them.  The personals site is only responsible to make sure that no one accesses information without logging in and is required by law to keep credit card numbers secure.  However, if someone accesses your PC and hacks your information through any number of methods, the websites you are accessing are not responsible for that.

Unfortunately identity theft is rather common.  The ability to get into someone's computer and obtain passwords isn't that uncommon. 
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 10:26:38 am »
My little " honey Bun "  was   pissed when I showed him my

ALTERED  profile !

He had NO idea that I emailed or conversed with people I concider

to be  "space"  Friends !

I KNOW  a few people on here  personally and we have emailed !

Bob was NOT a happy Camper  today !

When he read that I liked to talk HE felt THAT  was his duty !

Well  , it is and it ain't !

I need  HIV  support and YOU  guys  give it to me !

So I will  stick around when I need to know  there IS a world out there !

and I do THANK ALL OF YOU  :-*

Carl

;)  THANK YOU!  nice to have you back Carl, yes we all do need each other  :D

Offline dixieman

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 04:22:17 pm »
I recieved the same message and just sent it to the poz-personals as a spammer...

Offline DangerBoyXIII

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2009, 01:26:53 am »
I'm not surprised to find this topic.  I think someone put asshole magnet on my profile because that's all I've been meeting on there.  With the exception of like a few I've had horrible luck meeting someone nice.  LOL 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 01:46:56 am »
Well yeah, it's the 21st century version of a seedy, dimly lit fag bar so I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised at all about that.  If you want a tea party you need to wear white gloves and go across town.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.