Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:17:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 241
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Backwoods Discoteque (working title)  (Read 1975 times)

Dan J.

Backwoods Discoteque (working title)
« on: October 03, 2007, 11:49:59 am »
I recieved this email from my neice Emily today. Thought I would share it. She and I have a special relationship. Not the normal Uncle-Neice type thing.  Hope this makes you giggle a little. I will include more as she sends it to me.

Dan

Hey.  I'm trying to do some writing that I canhopefully get published eventually.  I've alwayswanted to write a story about us and the some of thecrazy stuff we've done.  As far as I know, I've neverheard of a story about a funny relationship between anuncle and neice.  I've attached the beginning.  It's set up how our relationship is.  I'm going to include the fake newscasts, runway shows down the front walkway, music, and movies.  I'd like to include AIDS and how it affects things, but how it doesn't ruin things, if that's all right with you.  Not like Rent or anything, more uplifting than sad.    I just wanted to run everything by you. I'll change our names and stuff and anything else youwant me to.  I just think it would be cool to write something endearing and smart and funny about people dealing with AIDS...b/c most things I've seen or read have been more on the sad side.  I'd like to show that people can live with it for a long time.  Let me know what you think.  PS-this is not the title...it's just what I named it to save it.

Love you Laquinta Kinky Boots!                                                           

Backwoods Discoteque

“Hey Shaniqua-Boniqua-Chicquita-Banana!” is not a usual greeting from an uncle to a niece, especially when the neice is not named Shaniqua.  Then again, people don’t usually have an uncle like Danny.
   “Tamika-Moneekia-Minolo Balanik!”  I quickly respond.  Our greeting makes me laugh like a little girl who just got told that the little boy next door has a crush on her.  Somewhat guilty, a little pensive, but mostly giddy. 
   Ever since I was old enough to watch Martin and started impersonating Shanay-nay, Uncle Danny and I have called each other monikers consisting of make believe names and some random item.  Living in a city like Memphis gives one the ability to become ghetto fabulous at any given moment even if they’re as suburban as venti de-caf half-fat mochas.
   “What are you doin, Sugar Baby?”  He asks in a falsetto that rivals Freddie Mercury.
   “Nuttin, Honey.  Sittin under a tree in Circle Park in between classes.  What are you doin?”
   “Workin,” he slurs as we both giggle at his reference to his crappy home-based debt collector job.  “Well Bugar Bear, I just wanted to see how you were doin.”
   “I’m all right.  Class, projects, working, partying.  Same old same old,” I lazily respond as I look up at the glowing yellow leaves of the trees above me swaying in the crips autumn breeze.
   “Don’t work too hard and wear yourself out.”
   “As opposed to partying too hard?”  I smirk knowing he can’t honestly tell anyone to not get too crazy.
   “Uh yeah, Captain Morgan!”  He snips at my strong attraction to rum.  “You know what I mean.”
   “I know.  I’ve got to get to class.  I’ll talk to you later.”
   “Bye Baby.  I love you!”  He whines, wanting to talk to me a little longer.
   “Love you too!”  I close my phone feeling a little homesick.

Offline cayucosguy

Re: Backwoods Discoteque (working title)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:27:17 pm »
 ;D

Giggles!  Encourage her to keep writing, and let me know where & when I can pre-order the book!

I must say, I'm jealous of the relationship you have with your niece!  I used to have a great relationship with mine, but she has decided that she cannot deal with a gay, poz uncle since she found her new religion (and backwoods boyfriend).

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Vince

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 03:13:48 pm »
great post Dan!   and aren't nieces great?   Mine is fantastic.   She grew up having two gay uncles and one gay uncle-in-law (my partner of 14 years) so she has always been fine with it.   Also with the AIDS thing....we don't really discuss it, but that's more my choice than hers.   I have ENOUGH of it, without unloading it into every relationship in my life.

Yay Uncles !
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 08:05:38 pm »
Hey didn't you know a little ghetto fabulousness can go a long way..... ;D Work it, girls.....Shaniqua Boniqua and Tomika Moneekia.....LMAO......
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Dan J.

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:32:04 am »
I hid being hiv + from her and my other nieces and nephews until I became very sick in 2003. Mainly because they were young when I found out. Actually I have been poz longer than she has been alive. Way back in the day I never thought that I would be alive now to see her become the adult she is today. Of all my nieces and nephews (2 nephews, 3 nieces, 1 great nephew, 1 great niece & a new great nephew due in Feb.08) I am closest to Emily. She is a very opened minded person & is the only one of them that has actually spent some time with me and Herman, alone. She calls him Aunt Herman! LOL  It breaks my heart but makes me very proud of her that she is moving to Maryland to start her career in Broadcast journalism. We talk about everything.

Hopefully she will send me another "installment" to the story she is writing.  I told her not to worry about changing our names in the story. I have no room for shame as a far as being hiv + anymore. If someone can't handle that fact about me whether they are family or not is not my problem, it's theirs!

Dan

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.