Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:08:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 220
Total: 220

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Work life for nurses?  (Read 4224 times)

Offline Max14

Work life for nurses?
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:21:41 am »
Hi guys,

Recently me and my partner tested positive and are currently on our "supplements" for about 6months now. My partner is a nursing student and he is about to graduate and start working, although he is worried as they have a health screening (blood test included) before he can start working officially. My question is what will they do if they find out he is poz? Can he still work? He is really stressed and I can't seem to help. U see he is on a bond for 7years with the hospital. Lately he is emotional about this and I'm starting to get worried. As for me, I'm working a desk job so I dun think a blood test is required. Any insides on this particular subject?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Work life for nurses?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 09:16:10 am »
Hi Max, welcome to the forums.

I've moved your thread into the Just Tested forum as that is the more appropriate place for it.

I also deleted the same exact thread from the Someone I Care About forum. Not only should you only post any thread one time in one sub-forum, but you are not an hiv negative person discussing a loved one with hiv, which is the target audience for that particular section of the forums, so that wasn't the appropriate forum for your thread either.

Now that we have the "housekeeping" out of the way....

I really have no idea what the employment laws are for people living with hiv in your (Asian) country. If you care to let the forum know where you are posting from (country will suffice, you don't need to tell us your exact location), someone here may be better versed in your country's employment laws.

In the meantime, you can find an ASO (aids service organisation) near you by using the searchable database at aidsmap.com A local ASO should be able to tell you exactly what your employment laws entail.

How are you two doing otherwise?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Max14

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 09:25:42 am »
Hi Ann,

Thanks for the assistance. Still relatively new to the whole forum thing. Lol. We are both fine and still together. I guess you are right, we both reside in Malaysia, and have no idea about the employment laws. Will try the link that you gave me. Thanks a lot :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 10:47:18 am »
You're welcome, Max. That's what we're here for. I hope there is an organisation near you who can help you with area-specific stuff like employment laws. 

Please feel free to ask about anything else hiv-related. It's a steep learning-curve when one is newly diagnosed, so you both probably have some questions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 11:42:25 am »
Max- despite its age ( thankfully actually)this document may help you gain insight to your country's approaches. From a skim review, this should provide you with important information and perhaps lead you elsewhere for verification regarding implementation. It would be nice if your partner could relax a bit and focus on studies.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/population/aids/malaysia.aids.01.pdf

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 11:45:15 am »
And, were I you, or your partner, I'd look up this fellow countryman. http://www.iavireport.org/Special-Features/Pages/Living-Positive-in-Malaysia.aspx#.UtVpQKa9LCQ

Offline Max14

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2014, 10:17:40 am »
Thanks Ann, I guess most of the questions have already been addressed by the doctors and dealing with it just seems pretty normal for now, we make a good team reminding each other to take our "supplements" and the side effects are not as severe as before. The thing that I'm not really keen on is the blood tests and the doctor's appointment. Seems hard to schedule some time off especially with work pilling up but I can't put off the appointments either. Luckily, the doctors are understanding about it.

Thanks for the insight emeraldize, will definitely look into it. Yea, I hope he can calm down as well, he was even at a point whereby he felt his studies are like a waste. Personally, I think there shouldn't be any discrimination or stigma to his choice of profession. I mean i'm even more worried about his own well being, working in the hospital with lots of sick patients. Maybe if he came clean about his status, they might put him in a more less risk area of work? Kinda hope someone can provide some insight to this.

I think it would be weird if the hospital decided to break the contract because suddenly he is HIV+
Having a disease shouldn't be any reason to dismiss someone from working right?
I've tried persuading him to maybe work elsewhere and we can pay back the tuition fees slowly but I guess we shall wait and see. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.