Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:32:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 121
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Symptoms Question  (Read 27941 times)

Offline assistancerequired

Symptoms Question
« on: January 06, 2007, 03:42:45 pm »
Recently had what I hope was a safe encounter with a prostitute while on business trip in Asia.  I did practice safe sex by using condoms.  That being said I do have a question or two:

1.) From what I have read on this site, HIV does cannot be transmitted from one person to another if via me fingering the woman, correct?  i.e. Same idea if you use saliva on your finger?  What about Hep?

2.) Regarding condom slippage?  Upon withdrawl, if the condom slips partially down the shaft of your penis, I am guessing that your exposure would be quite low?  Same deal with Hep?  This happened one time of out several (I guess you would call them sessions).  The other thing that happened that night was on one of our sessions, the condom became dried, so I switched (I could feel it).  As for knowing whether or not there are tears in the condom, frankly I never saw any, but in truth I had had several drinks.  Not a good excuse, but the honest truth. 

As for now since the incident (Dec 14th), no STD's that I can see 3 to 3.5 weeks later.  Only items I have:  fairly consistent headaches, occassionally running warm/hot, nausea, quite tired,  but to be clear I have gone through this whole behavior once before so I am taking this with a grain of salt.  Your board is great.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 05:24:25 pm »
1. not HIV, but it's possible to transmitt Hepatitis. You can spread Hepatitis via saliva.
2. you don't have to worry about the slippage as long as the head of your penis remained covered.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 05:27:05 pm »
Nothing you have reported in relation to your incident put you at risk for HIV transmission. Please read the Transmission lesson if you haven't already done so. You get all the basics there. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

If your condom had torn you would have known it. It's not a subtle event when it happens.

There are also lessons on this site about Hepatitis where you can get all the basics.

As far as HIV is concerned there's no cause for concern. Keep using those condoms everytime you have intercourse. And watch out for that excessive drinking. That is a major red flag because it puts you at risk for getting careless about safer sex.

If your symptoms continue to bother you discuss them with your doctor. Whatever is going on it's not HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:59:46 pm »
One more question, more the on the Hep side of things (I read through the information under lessons) and they mentioned that on average symptoms usually show up within 4-6 weeks).  So if my incident was on Dec 14th, should I be aiming for somewhere between the second and 4th week of January to get tested?  Am thinking of going to clinic Monday, to ease the mind, but if this is a waste of time, please let me know.   

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 02:10:48 pm »
I forgot to mention one other item, I guess really the one that in retrospect has me a bit uneasy -- the next morning when I get up and the woman left, the sheets had two noticable stains which made me think that she may have at the beginning/end of her monthly.  Does contracting Hep make it easier to contract other STI's as well?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 02:13:02 pm »
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 02:27:03 pm by RapidRod »

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:11:51 pm »
Thx.  I think what I am more uncertain of is the following:

1.) Fingering. I did put my finger in her and then one point back in my mouth to add saliva.  Seems like a big potential problem as far as Hep is concerned.

2.) The next day I noticed a small cut on my left finger (kind of like a knife cut, shallow, but present).

That's it.  Hopefully all of this is all just "head games"....

I think what's stressing me just as much is the fact that I just had sex with a very close friend when I returned and on the third session, did not use a condom.  So here I am with who knows what, and I may have done something pretty terrible to someone I care for.  Not good.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:14:10 pm »
I would take it that kissing would be not cause Hep either?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 06:27:52 pm »
You can transmit HBV from saliva. So it depends on what type of kissing and if saliva was involved.

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 07:54:15 pm »
Just to summarize so I have this correct, I can't get Hep B if I am wearing a condom (i.e. it's secured and withdrawn properly), but I can get it from saliva (i.e. or kissing) or from genital fluids (i.e. if I placed my finger in her vagina and then back in my mouth to apply my saliva) or the cut on my finger.  Correct?  In addition, it is stated that HBV is highly contagious, so this would place this into the "high risk" area, I would imagine.

Question -- should I tell my friend that I just had sex with about this incident?  Or should I first get tested this week...Please advise.  Am really starting to freak out.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:27:03 pm »
assist,

It is unlikely that you would have been infected with any sort of hepatitis through the activities you report.

Hep B is primarily transmitted through unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse and needle sharing.

Hep C is primarily transmitted through needle sharing.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:06:47 pm »
Ann,

Thx. for your support.  A couple questions moving forward:

1.) Should I get tested for Hep?  I should get vacinated for Hep across the board, no?  I.E. For A and B I would think. 

2.) Assuming you are sexually active -- maybe a partner every 6 months or so, how often should you be tested for everything across the board?  Once a year?  Twice a year?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.  thx. for the quick turnaround.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 07:14:59 am »
assist,

1. It's up to you. I see no reason to rush out and test but...

1.1 Yes, vaccinations are a good idea. If you decide to get vaccinated, a competent doctor will test you first for hep B. Approximately 80% of people who have been infected with hep B will clear the virus on their own, but retain the antibodies and will be immune without the vaccine. Often times people don't know they ever had hep B.

2. It depends on what you mean by this. If you mean you have sex twice a year, then a check up once a year is appropriate. If you have lots of sex but change your partner twice a year, then twice-yearly check ups would be appropriate.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 11:47:10 pm »
My Dr. is out for the week and I am really sick -- and my head is playing some pretty nasty games with me.  Have decided to a clinic tomorrow for a full checkup (STDs, Hep, etc.)  Based on my reading,  HIV takes 13 weeks and Hep B could be up to six months in terms of windows, but I have to start some where.  So a quick question -- although PCR DNA test is not definite, is it worth doing at all to ease ones mind?  i.e. Does it provide anything favorable in terms of information or is it worthless? 

Reason that I ask -- I am really freaking out.  The friend that I head sex with two weeks ago -- is now sick.  Starting with headaches, cold, slight sore throat, etc.  I am not handling this well.

Another question -- what over the counter drug can you recommend that will calm my nerves?  Help.  Sorry.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 04:00:17 am »
Are you reading the replies that you have received or, you just type and continually asking questions. You don't need an HIV test. You wasn't at risk. As for HBV, there isn't a reason to be in a hurry to test. As for the PCR testing if you really had a risk, would not be my choice. PCR DNA/RNA test can give you a false positive and then you still would have to go thought the waiting period for the ELISA and Western Blot. But you don't need to test and getting a false positive result won't happen.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2007, 06:58:05 am »
assist,

You haven't had a risk for hiv infection and you certainly do not need PCR testing. DNA PCR testing isn't even approved for diagnostic use.

It's January and you and your friend have a cold/flu? Fancy that. Most unusual. Nobody EVER gets sick in January. Wake up mate, it's cold and flu season. You didn't have a risk for hiv infection and your illness has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2007, 12:28:53 pm »
Sorry to bother.  Have taken a radical turn for the worse.  Vomitting.  Can't hold food down.  Runny nose. Bad headaches, body aches.  Going to see Dr. today.  Am so scared it's not even funny. At work and leaving early.  What have I done.  I tihnk I just passed something onto a good friend. 

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 03:14:06 pm »
Update: went to another doctor (one I used the last time I went through this).  Most likely she thinks I have a common cold (although candidly I was too ashamed to tell her what went through).  Her comments on Hep were, unlikely unless my pee had turned brown and my stools had lightened to grey in color.  Thankfully not yet, although I did mention that the last stool was lighter than norm (but that could be just the fact that my diet is off because I'm stressing so badly).

As for testing -- since I can't see my regular Doc. until Thurs. next week, I went to clinic of sorts and got a full STI test (G/C, Syphillis, HIV, Hep, etc.).  Should have results early to middle next week.  Am holding my breath.  Still have the occassional nausea, headaches (primarily right side), bizarre abdominal issues (around kidney's on either side -- kind of a twitching feeling), head congestion/runny nose.

Am calling my old shrink to get today to get some tranqualizers or something of the sort so I can deal.  I know: I'm weak.  So dissappointed in myself, I had to confide in a good friend from work.  Who I walked through the incident and who knew of my past incident.  He thinks my symptoms are all head games driven by guilt.  He could be right. Frankly I hope he is for my sake and more importantly my friends sake. 

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 10:42:21 am »
Just wanted to provide a quick update: am not feeling well.  Very nauseas, periodic headaches, bad stomach (kidney area feels odd periodically on both sides), tired/out of it, head congestion/runny nose.  All in all not feeling well.  Finally confided my situation to two close friends (one from the office), one outside of the office.  Am feeling very guilty about one non protected event post Dec 14th event.  Had lunch with the girl yesterday.  I really hope I have not hurt her in any way.  She means an aweful lot to me as friend/person. 

To be clear -- this site had been very helpful to me in the past as I have been up here on several occassions -- all related to risky behavior brought on by a misuse of alcohol.  Thought after the last incident, I could control the problem but it's clear I cannot.  Just based on symptoms I have a feeling that I have Hep B at a minimum.  Kidney through stomach area is really in bad shape. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2007, 01:35:49 pm »
assist,

If you are that ill, why are you telling us instead of a doctor? We cannot diagnose you and nothing you describe sounds remotely hiv related.

You didn't have a risk in your sex worker incident. What worries me is that you are assuming your friend is hiv negative and having unprotected intercourse with her. 

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions, until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2007, 11:31:49 pm »
Am sorry to bother -- I guess to be honest -- I am very scared of "the what if"  i.e. What if I screwed up and did not put the condom on correctly, or it slipped too far, or maybe I just don't remember clearly because I drank way too much. 

Here I am sick now one full week -- the past several days nauseas/headaches/heavily fatigued/head congestion/runny nose -- now have real pains under my armpits (even when I freaked out the last time, I never had this).  It's painful to actually eat -- get sharp pains in my stomach.  I saw my psych. tonight and is prescribed meds (Risperdal/Lorazapram --sp?).  He wants me obviously to calm down and wait for the results before I call my friend.  The weight of this is really killing me. 

To net it -- the last time I hit the board for a similar incident -- I had the following: shooting pains down my legs/arms, nausea and stomach pain.  No head cold, headaches, runny nose or dehydration, no kidney twinges, or digestive issues in terms of eating.  It was all stress and I turned to both my doc, my shrink and my friends to get through this. i hope this turns out the same. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 03:13:07 am »
How many times are we going to have to repeat ourselves? You didn't have a risk. You symptoms are in no way related to HIV. If you are having any kind of symptoms, see your doctor because it is unrelated to hiv. Please don't "what if or but." We given you the facts several times so if you have anymore concerns reread the replies that you have been given.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:44 am »
assist,

The only risk you have had is in having unprotected intercourse with your friend. It's not just sex workers who may be hiv positive you know.

Intercourse with a condom is NOT a risk for hiv infection. Unprotected intercourse IS a risk, unless you have tested conclusively negative TOGETHER with that person and you are in a securely monogamous relationship with them.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 11:10:31 pm »
Ann, thx. for the responses thus far.  So here's the latest: felt very bad last night (friday) and into today (sat) and went to the emergency room.  They performed a CBC (I think) blood test and checked out my liver functions?  Anyhow -- nothing bad showed up except my white cell count is down a bit.  Is this a bad sign?  Dr. said that if my liver functions were through the roof (or is it kidney, am not sure) Hep would be an easy target, but he thought Hep was way too early to call.  As for HIV, his thoughts were in parallel to you and Rapirod (sp).  He put me on Vicodin for the headaches (and said that I need to stay hydrated , because this could be a contributing cause).  Also gave me Prochlorperazine for my nausea.  In general he did think that I had picked up a virus (the term scares me anytime I hear it, I just end up thinking the worst case scenario) either from my trip or locally.

As for the nerves/mental state, I saw my psych last week who has put me on Risperdal (night) and Lorazepam (day) and am planning on seeing him once a week until I get through this.  I know I should not be scared based on what you and your peers have said, but that not was not crystal clear.  Had empty condom wrappers on the nightstand as well as those in toilet, but you never know.  Especially when you so clearly pointed out my situation with my exgirlfriend.  Why would you have sex twice protected, once not?  Stupid.  And that's sober which makes me more scared when I am not. 

My tests should be back mid week.  Am crossing my fingers.  Probably will try to move up seeing my doc as well.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2007, 07:39:53 am »
assist,

The word hepatitis means inflammation of the liver. Alcohol is probably THE most common thing that will cause hepatitis and elevated liver enzymes. If you've been drinking through this, stop or cut down, especially with that vicodin on board. Be kind to your liver and it will be kind to you. It's a very forgiving organ.

I'll leave you with one more thought - sex workers use condoms to protect THEMSELVES from their clients, not the other way around. From all you have said, you can bet condoms were used and used properly. (and besides, they usually charge more for going bare)

One more time, the ONLY risk you have had is the unprotected intercourse with your friend. You need to test three months after your last UNPROTECTED encounter, not your last protected sex worker encounter.

Use condoms for intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 07:09:24 pm »
Yes, I have cut down the alcohol almost to zero.  Drank a bit, not much after first of the year.  At the moment, I can seem to digest anything without something bad happening.  I just tried to eat a bagel -- it was so painful working it's way through my intestines that I almost blacked out.  Also had really bad cramping in my lower colon.  Am going back to the docs tomorrow if possible.

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2007, 07:56:10 pm »
One other thing -- I now have diarrhea bad.  I am freaking out right now.

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2007, 08:07:57 pm »
One other item, and it is worth mentioning.  I keep reminding myself this -- I remember picking the woman up at the bar.  Vaguely going through lobby up the elevator to my room.  She underdresses on the right side of the bed  by the bathroom and then we have several sessions of sex until she said she was tired.  I woke up before her and waited for quite some time until she woke.  We had one before showering and one after and I paid her.  All I can honestly say is that I thought I used condoms every time.  Thats it.  What's wracking my brain is that who knows...maybe I did not or misused them.  I just don't see myself not using them considering her position and also knowing that that's how I started the night -- with condoms.  That being said I had drank probably 6 drinks (beer/V/Ts) that night.  Fk!  I can't take this and I am really. really sick right now.  This shit just does not stop.  Every time I hope I will be better, I feel worse the next day.  I hear Ann's and Rapidrod's (sp) comments, but I guess what I am now playing is -- worse case -- if indeed I screwed up -- do these symtoms match up to ARS?  In looking at other sites (i.e. the Body where they break down ARS symptoms) i would say I have a reason to worry.  Sorry to be such a pain in the neck, but I am really having some big problems holding it together right now.  I can't eat (and when I try to it's either too painful to digest), now have really bad diarrhea, very fatigued, bad headaches, very dehydrated, etc.)  Scared out of my whits....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2007, 08:28:31 pm »
assist,

Your problems do not sound like ARS at all, they sound like stress.

It's highly unlikely that the sex worker would have consented to unprotected intercourse. You're literally worrying yourself sick.

If you are really that sick, go see your doctor tomorrow.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 06:40:52 pm »
Baby steps.  Just got back results for a 4 week check up on everything (waiting on Herpes); clear across the board on all major STI's.  PCR DNA HIV clear and full Hep panel is clear.  Moving forward will use condoms ALL THE TIME and be more mature in terms of mixing alcohol and ex.  Plan to retest HIV and Hep in 2 months (may be one month between).  Regarding Hep immunizations, should I do them or wait until I am out of the window of 6 months?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 06:56:24 pm »
assistance,

Ask your doctor when the appropriate time to vaccinate for hep would be for you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2007, 07:33:33 pm »
thx

« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2007, 12:07:46 pm »
Folks sorry to bother.  Am going to see my Doc in the next 48 hours if I can get in earlier I will.  Need some help, has anyone used AIM by mail for testing?  Do they know if they are credible?  I used them in the past and they were great, just wanted to ask.  Also regarding HIV test via PCR -- this is what I did as part of "all in one STI panel" if you will.  Came out clean, but I am still very ill.  My question -- I see alot of bashing via the PCR test.  Is it worthless?  At 30 days should I have done an ELISA?  I was planning on doing an ELISA at 6 weeks, but now my nerves on edge.  Please advise.  Within the last few days I have gotten diarrhea and this head cold and nausea will not go away.  Am very frightened.  Please help.  thx.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2007, 12:35:51 pm »
The information on PCR testing has already been given to you in one of the replies you have already received. There is no bashing the PCR test. PCR DNA is not a diagnostic test. PCR RNA is a diagnostic but it is not a stand alone test. Why not wait and take an antibody test at 6 weeks and then one at 13 weeks which will confirm your results.

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2007, 09:46:33 pm »
Rapidrod, I am going to take your advice and get tested next week for a full Hep panel and HIV via Elisa?  Is that what you mean't by antibody test?  I went and saw both my doc and psych today which helped my fears until I left and all of the symptoms (head aches, congestion, odd taste in mouth, odd muscular aches (down legs and arms), pains under my arms (a new one), tingling almost irritable feeling around my kidneys on either side, periodic nausea, etc.  All in all really scaring me.  My doc took a general overview -- wanted to talk more than anything just to get a read on the situation.  His take was the same as everyone's: hold tight for three months.  Stay away from Alcohol and see you psych for a program including AA.  I am moving forward on this and will stick with it unlike last time.  Joe from Atlanta helped me on a threat when I was in the same spot 1.5 years back during a trip to Vietnam and had a blackout.   Nonetheless, I keep replaying my night in Singapore wondering if a.) I put the condoms on wrong or b.) simply did not put condoms on during one of our sessions (which I find highly unlikely).   My fear is slippage.  Upon the act of intercourse or during withdrawl the condom slipped up to, (i.e. just below) the head of the penis, but not off.  I'm freaking out. I don't know what to think/believe at this point other than as my doctor said -- you engaged in a risky act. 

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2007, 11:53:28 pm »
Just wanted to post a quick update.  Am crawling into my sixth week.  Weds/Thursday is when i am planning on retesting for HIV and a full Hep panel.   Anxiety has been brutal.  Am writing this as on one Lorazapram into the evening and about to take Risperdal to put me down.  Stupid.  Anyhow this sucks.  Still getting periodic migraines -- they last long and they are brutal, also periodic nausea, bizarre body twinges (calves, forearms, kidney area particularly), slight (very) sore throat, runny nose, and the new thing I think I mentioned before -- pain in my armpits!  Okay, I know I don't want to sound like I am freaking out, but I am -- this has never happened to me before stress or no stress.  In light of all of this, I am having trouble doing much of anything.  Just want to get to the end of this week.  Deep breath.  This time am going to do the standard ELisa HIV test as opposed to my earlier PCR DNA test and a full Hep panel.  Hoping to have my results by end of week (don't want this to roll over into the following week).   

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2007, 10:19:19 pm »
Update -- I could not make it until Weds for my sixth week on the dot.  Went today.  Results should be back in two to three days.  Am very concerned.  Had two bouts of Nausea today that were brutal.  One at lunch in front an executive officer within my company.  It was terrible.  Thought I was going to throw up.  Got dizzy/lightheaded.   Went nauseas then really weak.  Then at about 6:30 tonight went through the same thing.  In addition the cold symptom is not going away at all.  Any way -- am hanging tight.  In general am having trouble thinking/concentrating -- conversationwise and writingwise I am disoriented -- and it's not because of the lorazapram because I am not taking it during the day.  Any way will keep you posted.  With all of these symptoms lasting since the first week of January -- I am exhausted.

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2007, 12:05:52 am »
Update: I received my tests back from the clinic via phone -- need to get an email confirmation.   Negative on ELISA and Hep A, B and C....and yet I feel very tired.  Odd feelings in kidneys, runny nose, some headaches, etc.  Basically same as before.  Headaches not as intense (so I am sure stress had a lot to do with it).  Also feel very itchy at times.  I have heard this to be a sign of Hep?  Any comments.  Spoke with the clinic and they said that the window for Hep B is up to six months.  Comments here are welcome?  Does this mean that at 6 weeks I am at the front end of a very long waiting period?  In terms of HIV and Hep B/C I will retest at 3 months, but need some help here.  I need some guidance on window period and what I can/can't do.  I know moving forward no alcohol.  I also know moving forward always, always wear condom no matter what.  Am still concerned for my friend, but do not want to cause her concern if my fear is unfounded in terms of my status.  Please advise if you can.  thx.

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2007, 07:32:42 pm »
Quick update: woke up at 3AM this morning.  Extreme pain in abdominal area; kidneys going into overdrive, really bad taste in my mouth and feeling completely "out of it".  This lasted for quite a while...seemed like an eternity.  Stayed up through the morning with really bad nausea.  Went and saw my Dr. this afternoon.  He took a urine sample, checked me out and basically said that I had an englarged prostate and gall bladder due to an infection of some sort -- am now on Cipro. 

Frankly, I'm worried.  He wants me on Risperdal every night.  Also stated that 3 months in should be a good indication for Hep B even though the window is technically 6 months.  3 months to me seems like an eternity.  So for both HIV and Hep I am on a somewhat similar time table.  See you all next week although I am going to try to stay off the boards for a while. 

« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2007, 09:08:32 pm »
So much for staying off the boards.  Well, I let my ex girlfriend know what happened on my trip.  As soon as I went down the Hep B/HIV path yesterday she knew something was wrong.  I don't know what to say/do.  I fucked up badly.  I feel terrible for her.  a.) I should have gotten a vacination prior to the trip, regardless.  Didn't because 1.) I didn't believe I had the time (1-2 weeks prior to the trip) and 2.) I never thought I would have a repeat performance of my last trip to Asia.  Thought I could hold it together.  Some friends of mine including my dr. and my psych would say hold off until

My biggest question -- here I need some support and the entire board has gone quiet.  I don't know how to feel about the 6 week HIV ELISA test/Hep Panel -- I read one of the moderator's comments that he does not hold a lot of value in this in terms of HIV?  Is this true?  To net it, I am fatigued into the ground, still have bouts of Nausea, random shots of pain down my left leg from the groin area, random pain in my back, the kidney issue I mentioned before, congestion that DOES NOT go away, headaches, periodic lymph node pain under my arms... and frankly I am scared out of my mind. 

This wait three months stuff is for the birds.  Great if you are a moderator terrible if you fucked up emotionally and are trying to hold it together on meds.  I tried to explain a very close friend of mine today what I am going through and her comment was, the way you are talking, I don't know how you will hold it together.  I still stick with what I said to her -- All I care about is that I did not hurt my ex girlfriend.  I keep going over this over and over.  From all of the reading that I have done HepB is 50 to 100 times easier to catch than HIV AND you can become terminal/chronic.  This is not good since she already has bad immune system from a genetic problem that she inherited. The skipped vacination, the drunken night (blood stain on the sheets the next morning, cut on my finger, the fact that I fingered the prositute AND put the finger back in my mouth for saliva)...amd fking loosing my shit on this.

This morning when I went to the bathroom -- urine was cola colored.  Yup.  I think I know where this may be going.  Regarding Hep B/C  -- does anyone know when this should start to show up in my blood tests?  Is it really 6 months later? 

Business Trip Mistake
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2007, 03:00:54 pm »
All:  I have posted here before.  For the same reason unfortunately.  Recently was on a business trip in Singapore.  Had a blackout my first night there.  Was not feeling well (definitely jet lagged), had a pitcher of beer with business associates, skipped dinner (felt nauseated) and continued to the bar in the bottom of the hotel at night.  Do not remember leaving clearly.  Did leave with a lady of the night.  Do not remember whether or not we practised safe sex -- problem, saw corner of condom wrapper on the floor the next day, but did not see any of my condoms used.  Vaguely remembering paying her.  The next two nights performed safe sex with the a different girl (the following two nights).   Over the next few days developed a runny nose and a cough (that has not gone away) that turned into a sore throat that is now gone.  From there nausea/bad stomach.  This began a few days after the initial event a week from last thursday (that was the first night/event).  Have had the "runs" on and off, head aches, nausea, periodic sweats (not a lot), very bad stomach/loss of appetite, fatigue.   The alcohol thing has been a consistent problem for me that i need to deal with in parallel, but am trying to come to grips with the above mentioned items.  Does any of this sound consistent with ARS?  I am planning on getting tested at 30 days for a full panel and then retest at 90 days for anxiety sake.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
Re: Business Trip Mistake
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2007, 03:36:56 pm »
is this same situation you talked about in the previous question?

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2007, 04:05:23 pm »
You seem to have gotten yourself in the same situation as you did previously. How about waking up to the fact that you are putting your life at risk everytime you mix excessive drinking with casual sex? And having a "blackout" is something you have to pay serious attention to. That's definitely more serious than just having a few drinks too many.

I certainly can't tell from what you are reporting whether you used condoms or not. Which means if there is any doubt about that and you had intercourse then you have to get tested. Do that at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident.

Those symptoms you are reporting mean absolutely nothing in being able to determine your HIV status. As you have been told before, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you that answer.

If you're troubled about symptoms you need to discuss them with your doctor.

Also, please don't start a new thread just because you have another incident to report or a question to ask. It's helpful to readers in following conversations to have them all in the same thread. Thank you for your cooperation regarding our rules.

Good luck with your test result.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:25:38 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2007, 04:07:04 pm »
You need to seek help with your drinking problem. Clear that up and it will take care of your other problems.

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 12:44:21 pm »
Agreed.  Alcohol unfortunately is a diffilcult thing to quit.  Have tried several times before, but need to try a different approach because I am repeating my mistakes.  Hopefully I will make it through this episode and learn from it.   thank you for your support and sorry to bother. 

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2007, 03:13:35 pm »
Just wanted to provide a quick update.  To net it, can't seem to shake this head cold.  Have had it since a few days after the event on the date mentioned above.  Constant congestions, periodic runny nose, periodic headaches (mostly one side), periodic upset stomach (gassy, with diarrhea 2x since the event), overall fatigue (feel very tired -- don't know if this is because I am depressed or what).  The cold issue really has me bothered.  Never have had a head cold that has lasted this long.  Have spoken with several AIDs/HIV hotlines and understand the testing window as you have all outlined within the board.  Here's where I could use some guidance - if one was to have "ARS" when would it occur and what would it look like?  The other question, HIV testing via PCR/DNA?  +/- vs. ELISA at 30 days?  Also what about Hep B -- i.e. When?  Any help would be appreciated.  thx.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2007, 03:28:48 pm »
assist,

Nothing you describe sounds hiv specific. If ARS is experienced at all - and not every infected person does - it normally occurs between two and four weeks after infection has taken place. It's flu-like, not cold-like.

We do not recommend PCR testing as it has a high rate of false positives and you don't want one of those. The earliest you should even consider testing is six weeks, with an ELISA, not PCR, but a negative result will still need conclusive confirmation at three months. Even a negative PCR would need to be confirmed with an ELISA at three months.

From all you report, it's unlikely you were even potentially exposed as it sounds like condoms were used. Most sex workers make sure they are used to protect their own health.

I'm fully expecting you to test negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2007, 10:50:11 pm »
Ann, many thanks.  Favor to ask.  When you say "flu like", what does this mean?  I just got diarrhea again tonight and am kind of freaked out right now.   It seems like I can't kick this what ever bug I do have.  It's somewhat periodic.  The fatigue bit is an issue as is the periodic stomach issues.  Been trying to stay away foods that can be problematic. 

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2007, 02:45:16 am »
Assistance,

Flu-like means experiencing symptoms similar to those experienced when one has influenza. It's for this reason that we say symptoms mean nothing when it comes to diagnosing HIV. The symptoms of acute HIV infection are very similar to other viral infections.

Like Ann, I expect that you will test negative. You should talk to your doctor about your tummy problems.

MtD

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2007, 12:54:43 pm »
Will do.  thx.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.