Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 01, 2024, 09:37:30 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772995
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 232
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 221
Total: 221

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Forgetting things ?  (Read 6343 times)

BobF

Forgetting things ?
« on: January 09, 2008, 04:32:38 pm »
Hi .... I feel a little silly asking this but am curious if Atripla is known to cause forgetfullness?   I've had numerous things that I've forgotten since I started Atripla in September:   things like my cell phone number, fax number, my partners birthdate, even my office address.   Just writing this I realize that it's perhaps a numbers thing.   I momentarily panic when it happens but then rationalize that it's probably just that I'm busy or something.   I don't know, it just bothers me that I've noticed the trend more and more, I guess.   I mean I use my cell phone all day long - how can I forget the number?!  I haven't said anything to my Doc as I don't want to make a big deal out of it but am curious if anyone else on Atripla has had anything similar.

Maybe it's just age catching up with me  ::) 

Offline stratosphere

Re: Forgetting things ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 04:43:59 pm »
Bob,  if it makes you feel any better i do the same thing once in a while.  My mind used to be unbelievably focused and i swear that i have trouble grasping things sometimes.  And i used to be a terrific speller,  but that seems to be gone now.  I'm on truvada & sustiva btw.  Then i realize that my dad has been like that since i can remember (or can i lol  ;) ) and that its probably just me getting older and taking after my old man.  For what its worth I'm still pretty sharp (for me anyway) when and where it counts so i don't think it is necessarily just an HIV or meds issue. 

Hang in there and enjoy the good things in life and you will be just fine   :)

Dan J.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 04:50:07 pm »
Forgetfullness is just another "added bonus" that comes with being HIV+. Around here we call it "brain fog". I have those moments everyday. I loose my keys, forget where I park the car, phone numbers etc...

Dan

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 05:26:32 pm »
I just had this conversation with my doc today...and was asking if it was from the Atripla....and he said that it was just a HIV+ issue like stated above...not necessarily from the medicine.....come to think of it...this has been happening for some time now....and I have only been on Atripla for a month.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 05:58:37 pm »
Met with my doctor on Monday and talked with her about the same thing. She told me that most of her patients have it and its a "fog" not to worry unless it begins to interfere with life. But its still frustrating when I walk into the kitchen only to forget why I went in there..... ???
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline stratosphere

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 07:09:35 pm »
Forgetfullness is just another "added bonus" that comes with being HIV+. Around here we call it "brain fog". I have those moments everyday. I loose my keys, forget where I park the car, phone numbers etc...

Dan

Well i leave very early for work,  and im half asleep in the morning so one thing that helps me is when i get home for the night i take my keys, cell,  wallet,  & badge and put them on the same place every night on my dresser,  also i wrap my belt around them in a circle so that everything i need to get into work is in that circle i just grab it without thought.  Its a process.

As for remembering where i park the car,  i park in the same spot everyday.  I have a sports car and like to park way out away from everyone anyway so nobody  damages it,  so its always there in the same spot.  Also i get excerise walking all that way to and from the parking lot. 

I cant help with phone numbers though,  but numbers have never been my strong suit. 
 ;D

BobF

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 08:07:33 pm »
Thanks everyone ... I'm glad to know that it's not that unusual and that the "fog" isn't anything (else) to worry about at this point.   It's so unusual for me that it's definitely something that I've noticed and been bothered by.   Now that I know I'm not alone with it, I will probably mention it at least to the Doc as an effect or something that I've noticed.   I know I shouldn't feel funny telling my Doc stuff but I've got so many other medical issues that it all gets kind of complex to add one more thing to the mix.   LOL -- if I remember it.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 08:15:43 pm »
You are definately not alone Bob..mention it to your Doc next time you see him....don't you forget now... ;).

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 09:15:39 pm »
I always have a hard time with my memory.  I try to play Jeopardy when it's on (when I'm not in school).  And I do crosswords.  It's supposed to keep the mind sharp.  I also do a lot of reading.  It seems like we just had a thread like this not too long ago, but I can't remember. ;)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2008, 02:22:27 am »
I have been having this problem for the last couple of months or so and it has bothered me also. I'm not even on meds yet. We have fog lights for vehichles, but what about for brains.
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline joemutt

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2008, 02:30:07 am »
Oh Boy, yesterday I met someone and asked her name and then she says we had dinner last month,
3 people, and I really didn't remember that. is that bad or what? (I'm on viramune, viread and the 3rd i cannot remember, wait lamudovir (?)  :P )
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 03:00:18 am by joemutt »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2008, 04:52:35 am »

I've forgotten my cell phone number and my home phone number on occasion !!  I also bought one of those large 2 feet by three feet calendars.  :P   I have it mounted on the wall, I can keep better track of appointments, etc. I use the erasable marker on it, in case I make a mistake marking something, which i have done  :-\   !! Also have a small daily calender I keep in the car, along with plenty of paper. If there is something that I really need to remember, I better write it down, it's almost certain I will forget it. Seems like I go through a lot of those post-it notes ! By the way, I am not on Sustiva !!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:34 am »
Oh Bob,

I forget things plenty of times!

Um, what was the topic again?

Daniel

;)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 06:10:17 am »
Uh, uh, uh, what's this thread about? ;) Bob, you aren't alone.

Offline what a life

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:51:21 pm »
I'm on truvada & sustiva  for 90 days and I can't remember anything. I use to have no problems with memory but meds, stress, and who knows has really been something I have been struggling with. You are not alone. I have now kept a little voice recorder with me and I hate it but I need it. Best to you.
I keep waiting to wake up from this dream. Why me? The past is history, Tomorrow is unknown and today is the present "a gift"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:51 am »
Oh yes. I am very familiar with this.

I have a day planner I carry with me just about everywhere. Everyone is so used to seeing it with me they ask where it is if I don't have it.

It is a method of survival for me.

Something else I do to try to keep the little grey cells working properly is sudoku. There are days when I breeze right through them and others when I get stumped on a simple one.

Go figure!  ;)

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2008, 01:46:07 pm »
Hey Mark, a friend of mine had a soduko puzzle sent every day to her e-mail.  I can't remember though, for the life of me, how she said she did that; you know, what site she used.  Do you know a good site for those (soduko puzzles)?  Thanks.
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 08:00:34 pm »
I had an episode of serious brainfog which was so bad I barely remembered my own name.  Luckily, it only lasted a few hours at home.  It was before I was on Atripla but I had had HIV for a couple of years then.  Now no more brainfog, but I do keep lists of everything I need to remember for my memory was not like I wish it to be.  I mean if I had ten things to remember, I would only remember the top two.  Do tell your Doctor for it maybe something undiagnosed and needs attention.  Take care
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2008, 11:50:11 pm »
My niece, who is 16...I forget her name all of the time. And dozens other people I know can be added to the "FOG" list.

Positive since 1985

BobF

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2008, 10:27:35 am »
Thanks everyone ... I will tell my Doc.   It's the weirdest feeling -- very unsettling.   But, fogs eventually clear, right ?    8)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2008, 01:28:09 pm »
Bob, I get brain fog at different times and have for years.  Usually it has to do with trouble remembering names, remembering things I've studied etc.  I don't know that it ever clears, but I think maybe we will be saved from totally going insane. :D

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2008, 04:46:11 pm »
You might be served well to get used to it. Go with the flow, don't beat yourself up about it. :)
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.