Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:36:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773218
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 630
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: started atripla--stressed out  (Read 5489 times)

Offline itstallionman

started atripla--stressed out
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:20:53 pm »
First of all I am stressed out that I have to take medication to sustain my health at all, but I know it is necessary.  So outside of dealing with that fact I am trying to deal with the side effects of the Atripla and the people around me asking questions!  I started Dec. 25 (Merry Christmas to me!) it has been pretty awful so far.  The first night I felt drunk, very dizzy and off balance.  the next day wasn't too bad but the 2nd night I felt the same and had weird dreams, when I woke up I had a hard time getting out of bed and felt like crap all day, just not me!  the 3rd dose was not much different felt crappy all day.  I hate feeling this way and hope these side effects go away soon I don't want this medicine or the HIV to control my life like this, I am just not ready to deal with so much.  Part of dealing with all of this is friends and family (who do not know) constantly asking what is wrong?  you don't look good, are you ok?  blah, blah, blah......just leave me alone and let me try to deal with this!  I know I am not the only one going through this but that doesn't make it easier!

I guess I am just venting since I have no one to talk to about this.  just thought I would share my experience with the whole thing.

Offline vanlefar

Re: started atripla--stressed out
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 11:28:36 pm »
Sorry to here that you are stressed. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that your experience is similar to my partners. I have not started my meds yet, but my partner started Atripla in September. The first night he kept laughing at everything, it was a bit creepy and he needed a little help at nighttime because he was a bit dizzy headed. These symptoms lasted maybe two weeks. The dreams and sluggishness he said lasted about three to four weeks. I recently asked him about the side effects and he said he no longer notices any side effects and those t-cells shot up from 14 to 138 viral loads 500,000 now undetectable. Hang in there, and remember the medicine is giving you control over the HIV. Best of luck!

Offline itstallionman

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:34:40 am »
thanks for the input, I just wanted to add this comment because you said your partner started meds and you have not.  My partner is not on meds yet and has not been the most supportive person.  I hope you give your partner the support he needs.  There will be a time when you will need his support as well.  I am glad to hear that the side effects are subsiding and he is doing well with his numbers.  I am sure I will balance out eventually, but in the meantime it is difficult to deal with, especially with a partner that thinks that I am "putting on a show for attention"...He will have his turn.  I am on vacation from work right now I just hope I start feeling better before I have to return.  Thanks again for your input.

BTW Last night was the 4th dose and I traveled around the world (in my sleep) Wow!  what a night, this morning I am feeling very off balance and dizzy and just want to stay in bed.

Offline MaxPep

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 11:41:21 am »
You are not alone.  I started Atripla on Dec 19 and felt the same as you: drunk, dizzy, unbalanced.  However, that only lasted a few nights.  Now, I don't feel drunk anymore but I do feel the occasional dizziness/nausea usually in the morning when I first get up and it fades as the day goes on.  This is definitely not the way I am used to dealing but it is something that I know that I have to get used to if I want to be healthy.  The side effects have gotten better as the days go on.  Everyone keeps telling me that they only last for about 2 weeks.  I can't wait until I am back to my normal self.

Have you ever thought about telling someone close to you?  I told my bestest/closest friend in the whole world and it was the best thing I did.  Sometimes, you just need the support.  Its good to have a shoulder to cry on or a pair of arms to hold you when times get tough.

I know its tough but please hang in there. 

Take care.
12/5/08 - diagnosed
12/7/08 - CD4 70 15%, VL 21,181
12/19/08 - CD4 82 16.5%, VL 20,000
Started Atripla, Zithromax and Bactrim
1/24/09 - Next Labs
No OI's to date

Offline jayjax

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:08:58 pm »
Please hang in there.  I feel for your pain and frustration.  Like everyone else who has posted, please give it time.  I have been on Atripla since Nov 18.  Like yourself, I had the weird dreams initially.  I still wake up in the morning with a dizzy head, but it goes away as soon as I have something to eat.  Although everyone has different side effects with Atripla, most of these bad effects will subside within days or a couple of weeks.

There are also some recent posts from individuals who have gotten their first results back (like 2 and 4 weeks on Atripla).  All had fantastic results and are feeling better as a result.   I hope this will inspire you to continue the meds.

Please hang in there! Keep us posted and ask questions.  Many have had the same experiences you are dealing with right now and can offer help.

JayJax
08 Oct 08:  Diagnosed
18 Oct 08:  1st Lab Work: CD4 - 268, VL 7,000
18 Nov 08:  Started Atripla
28 Jan 09:   CD4 - 195, VL 70
05 May 09:  CD4 - 201, VL = Undetectable
16 Aug 09: CD4 - 235, VL = Undetectable
30 Nov 09 CD4 - 300, VL = Undetectable
30 Mar 10 CD4 - 305, VL = Undetectable
27 Jul 10 CD4 -  301, VL = 100
13 Aug 10 -- Switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir
30 Sep 10 --  CD4 598, VL = Undetectable

Offline HereIAm

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 07:17:13 pm »
Dear Itstallionman,

I was scared too.  I went from being told i was "negative" to having a CD4 count of 23, 1%, with a Viral Load of 770,709 copies.  I have an explanation for being told I was negative while clearly I have the virus. But, that is not important here.  What is important is this:

I was dramatically sick.  They started me on Atripla, almost immediately, along with some other drugs.  I had odd dreams (not bad, just odd) the first couple of nights.  Then, essentailly nothing.  My results 64 (or was it 62) days after starting Atripla was:  no side effects that I could tell; more energy than I have had in two years; CD4 145; 8% and Viral Load of 209. 

So, thank God, or providence, or science, or donors, or the universe, or humanity, or whatever you want for these amazing anti-virals.  I don't mean to make this virus sound like a cake.  It isn't.  But, I spent this Christmas being thankful for my friends, my family, that I am not dead and for feeling as good as I do.

I guess I am writing all of this to you to say:  Take heart!  Or, for a pun, take HAART!  This will be ok.  Shake off the feeling in the morning.   Push through this.  See how it goes.  I have considered my own story and read the others on here.  This medicine is really great.  If this particular one is not good for you after some time, see what the doctor says and get it changed. 

A therapist might help too.  Though, mine didn't think she needed to see me after the first visit.   And, I was ok with that.

Eat well.  Sleep well.  Be your own best friend.  Take those medicines!!!

Regards,
HereIAm
Tested Positive 10 Sept 2008.
24 Sept 2008:  CD 4: 23;   1%;  VL: 770,709
1st Oct 2008:  Started Atripla
4 Dec 2008:  CD 4: 145; 8%, VL: 209
1 March 2009:  CD 4: 91; 8%, VL: 49 (undet)
1 June 2009:  CD 4: 164; 11%, VL: 61
8 July 2011:  CD 4: 286; 17%, VL Undet
28 Oct 2011: CD 4: 346; 21%, VL Undet
2 Mar 2012: CD 4: 316; 20%, VL 6800 (probably an error)
12 Apr 2012: CD 4: 333; 21%, VL Undet

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 11:44:10 pm »
Hi I am on Atripla too, since around May and had the same side effects for a week or so badly then less and less until now I notice nothing like this at all.

I was very scared about taking medication too and hated the idea of being on meds for the rest of my life - previous to this I hardly ever took an headache pill - but my reaction to those side effects was different to yours as I rather enjoyed them and miss it now I do not have my slightly trippy drunken feeling!!
My only ongoing effect now is lose bowels but not too bad that I can not live with it.

It is not an ideal time I guess to start meds at Christmas. I started at a time when I knew I had absolutely no commitments or family holidays etc. But really this is VERY early days for you and these side effects do go for most people. I do know one person who still gets them but not as bad at all as at first and he has found ways to cope - but for most theses effects fade completely after the first month or so.

Just look after yourself and take it slowly, we need theses drugs as without HIv still kills so just see it like ongoing medication as for diabetes etc - well thats what I try to do and it works for me

Veritee
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline itstallionman

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 11:11:22 am »
Thanks for all the advice, encouragement and comments.  Last night was dose # 5 and this morning I feel a little better than I did.  I friend suggested taking Atripla with a bowl of yogurt instead of a completely empty stomach, it seemed to help.  I actually had a decent sleep last night.  Was it the yogurt or total exhaustion?  who knows, well I look forward to getting through this and on with my life, I know this is what needs to be done if I want to live and have a somewhat normal life, it still sucks but I guess it could be worse.

My partner has already told me that he refuses to take any meds and he will just let things run it's course.  I told him that I thought that was very selfish and I would have to think twice about staying with him if that was his outlook on his/our life!  I don't want to watch him get sick and/or die just because he is stubborn and selfish and does not want to take meds.  I hope he changes his mind, and I think he might once his numbers goes wacky and he starts feeling the side effects of the virus.

All-in-all I hate the thoughts of getting older, taking meds to sustain my health and dealing with this virus, but it is something I must do, something I must deal with and life will go on, if not for me than the people around me.

Thanks again for all the encouragement, comments and advice, this site has been a great help.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 11:20:31 am »

My partner has already told me that he refuses to take any meds and he will just let things run it's course.  I told him that I thought that was very selfish and I would have to think twice about staying with him if that was his outlook on his/our life! 

Good for you honey, read his ass.  He'll come around :)  You know, if he's wary of the sustiva component in Atripla as first line treatment he should consider something like Reyataz.  Perhaps you can get him to take a daily regimen of vitamins for a while and get him used to popping pills.  It's really less cumbersome than many assume, and is as much psychological than anything IMO.

Best of luck with your new routine, I'm sure you'll both be fine.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hades01

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 04:21:50 pm »
wow!
that is a big improvement, i been on atripla for 6 weeks and i will be having mu first lab work tomorrow (to say good bye to 2008). I haven't really have any side effects, one word of advice that i will share is:
don't eat prior to taking the pill at least for 3 hours and take it before you go to bed.
I do drink lost of water during the day and work out as well as take my multivitamins and antioxidants as well as omega 3 oil. call me crazy but i believe that the side effects are a reaction on how you treat your body (that is just me).
wish you good luck and hang in there....you will be fine and with results like the ones below is worth it to take just one pill (i take more pills between vitaminds and all the other shit i take :-)

happy new year and contact me if you have any questions or want to talk

Sorry to here that you are stressed. I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that your experience is similar to my partners. I have not started my meds yet, but my partner started Atripla in September. The first night he kept laughing at everything, it was a bit creepy and he needed a little help at nighttime because he was a bit dizzy headed. These symptoms lasted maybe two weeks. The dreams and sluggishness he said lasted about three to four weeks. I recently asked him about the side effects and he said he no longer notices any side effects and those t-cells shot up from 14 to 138 viral loads 500,000 now undetectable. Hang in there, and remember the medicine is giving you control over the HIV. Best of luck!
Eduardo Cabrera
"Life will never give me what i want, only what is best for me"
08-08-2008 HIV+ (What a day)
08-14-2008 VL 105K   CD4 199 (Pretified and hopeless)
11-14-2008 Started Atripla  and no side effects at all yet
Lab Results 12-31-2008 VL 220 CD4 189
Lab Results 03-31-2009 VL undetectable CD4 308
Lab Results 06-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 274
Lab Results 09-30-2009 VL Undetectable & CD4 410
Lab Results 10-06-2010 VL Undetectable & CD4 514 %34

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 05:06:11 pm »
1.  I friend suggested taking Atripla with a bowl of yogurt instead of a completely empty stomach, it seemed to help. 
2. I guess it could be worse.
3.  My partner has already told me that he refuses to take any meds and he will just let things run it's course.  I told him that I thought that was very selfish and I would have to think twice about staying with him if that was his outlook on his/our life!  I don't want to watch him get sick and/or die just because he is stubborn and selfish and does not want to take meds.  I hope he changes his mind, and I think he might once his numbers goes wacky and he starts feeling the side effects of the virus.

1)  I think its common recommendation to take Atripla with a snack. My ID said to do so.  I am glad the fifth night was better and looks like things should level out for you soon.
2) Of course - you could not have the medicine and be very sick, in pain, suffer and die. You'll see soon enough how better you can feel.
3) This was a bit of surprise in the thread.  It seems, then, that there are some enormous pressures on you. First of all, if I understood correctly, your friends and families don't know you are poz and/or taking HAART?  If they don't know, but only your partner knows, and he has ambiguous feelings about treatment, let alone his own status, then you need some support. Get it here, get it professionally close to you in person, maybe open up to some people if possible.
Secondly, thats a terribly stressy dynamic you have mentioned between you and your partner - his resistance or choice or denial about utility and benefits of HIV treatment, and your threatening to leave him.  Once things calm down on your treatment, I encourage you to find the heart and energy to communicate and find a way to grow your relationship, not destroy it.

Speaking from experience, my 10 year long partner became poz, refused most of the implications of that, and that pretty much destroyed our relationship. Toward the end, he used his HIV status to blackmail me into accepting his abuse of my trust, generosity, love, etc.  I was totally destroyed by this betrayal and loss, and ended up within a year HIV+ myself, irony of ironies, having escaped infection through several relationships with poz guys.

Please - be honest and loving and find a way to support and accept each other's choices and experiences vis-a-vis HIV. And know that your life is, in the end, more important than the relation, if it should come to that, but it shouldn't have to come to that.

Best!!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 05:08:12 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline TYNN2

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 08:04:15 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, encouragement and comments.  Last night was dose # 5 and this morning I feel a little better than I did.  I friend suggested taking Atripla with a bowl of yogurt instead of a completely empty stomach, it seemed to help. 

In my opinion, taking the medicine that was means to take without food with yogurt is against the prescribed rule.
I could remember my doctor asked me to take Atripla after one hour no eating period.   
I just started my Atripla and geting to my 5days now , with drunken effect, but  I am wondering if this brain shaking  effect  would  hinder on  how one's brain work in the future?

Offline pos2007

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 10:09:13 pm »
Interesting  you  mention  you felt  drunk   on  the Atripla.   I  had  the  same  symptoms  for  about 3  months.    My  wife  would  tease  me  calling   me  drunky  boy   because  it  would  make  me  so   drunk.   I   would  take  my  Atripla  ,  watch  the  10  o'clock  news,   maybe  some  Leno   &  go  to   bed.   I  litterally would  stagger  bouncing  off  the  walls  on  my  way  down   the  hall.  It  did  get  better.  I  finally  learned  that  If  I  ate any protein  food ( egg sandwich,  meat, )  within  about 3  hours  to taking  the  Atripla,  it  would  make  me  drunk.   If  I  ate  chips,  cake,  toast   or  something  like  that  when  I  got  hungry  it  would'nt  make  me  drunk.   Over  the  last  year i even tried it  a few times  just as an  experiment.   It  is  definately  the  protein  food along  with  it  that  does  it.  The  higher  protein  content (  like  an  egg)   the  faster and  more drunk   it  made  me,   so  I  avoid that  kind  of  stuff that  I  had  been  eating  to  try  to  build  myself  up  except  for  in  the morning,   lunch  or  an  early  supper.    After a year  on  Atripla  it   still does  the   same  thing.   I  had a craving   for  ham  about  two  weeks  ago  and   fried  up a   piece about  nine,   took  my  meds  about 10:00  and  I   was  drunk  as  a skunk   by    the  time  Leno   came  on.  Hope  this  helps.  You  are  suppossed to  take  it  on  an  empty  stomach  and  I  did  a lot  of  research  .  One   of the ingredients  in  Atripla   when  taken   with  food  is absorbed  so   much  more that  it  increases  its   blood  plasma  level  3  fold  vs.  taking  in  on  an  empty  stomach. 
Diagnosed  CD4 138 VL. 38,000
Partner Diagnosed CD4 <20  VL.  488,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.