Main Forums > Living With HIV

Forum intro + South African Immigrating to Canada

(1/1)

Villion169:
Howzit All,

First, let me say that if it wasn't for this forum when I first got diagnosed, I don't know where I would be now. Although this is my first post, you guys (in a weird way) became my biggest and strongest support structure!

So, I was wondering if you peeps can help me with 1 question that I just can't find the answer for (just a direct, no BS answer if possible please)

I am in the process of immigrating to Canada from South Africa in the skilled migrant process via express entry. I have heard and read that HIV poz people can do this if it can be proven/determined that they will not cause "excess demand" on the healthcare of the country witch is currently like $5000 per annum?

So, my question is, what are the chances that I be deemed "medically inadmissible" due to my status. For some more information (which will become clear later on) see my stats below:

1. I am 29 years old (male)
 2. I reached untransmittable (VL < 200) in March 2020
 3. I reached and maintained undetectable (VL < 20) in May 2021
 4. Since my diagnosis, I only go to the Dr every 6 months for test and to ensure that everyhing is fine - otherwise I am as fit as a bull
 5. I have never felt "healthier" in my life (as ones lifestyle changes once you are diagnosed)

So with all the above, I recently learned that the medication I am on (Trivenz) is a generic of Atripla. The cost for 30 tablets of Atripla is estimated around $2450!

SO in my logic, I will be deemed as Medically inadmissible? Is this the case or am I overcomplicating it?

Lastly, from what I have read, I would need to notify my sexual partners within 90 days of the test in order to be considered? I do not know anyone in Canada and am planning on doing this alone? But should I meet someone in South Africa and we want to go over together, will this still be requirement (Naturally I will tell them before getting into a relationship, I just want to understand the logic of being forced to tell someone in South Africa about your status before you can immigrate? - Am I confusing myself?

Many Thanks all you cool peeps!

Jim Allen:

--- Quote ---Although this is my first post, you guys (in a weird way) became my biggest and strongest support structure!
--- End quote ---

Glad to hear the forum helped and that you are doing well and feeling healthy  :)

--- Quote ---will be deemed as Medically inadmissible? Is this the case or am I overcomplicating it?

--- End quote ---

I have no idea whatsoever.

Prehaps this group might be able to answer? https://www.catie.ca/catieca

J.R.E.:
HI...

See if anything in the following link may help:

https://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=39#:~:text=No%20restrictions%20for%20people%20living,medical%20examination%20in%20certain%20circumstances.

Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version