Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Interview the Person Below You (Part 2)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Jim Allen:
A:

Nice question. I always wanted to own a restaurant and be the Chef. I trained as a cook, qualified after 5 years, worked in some of the more prestigious restaurants in my region that still insisted on the colour coded buttons on the jackets according to the role in the kitchen etc, it's part of my life I look back on fondly.

Q:

Where do you want to live when you retire? Or if you have already retired what advice would you give to someone looking to retire in 20/25 years from now?

CaveyUK:
A. Don't really mind where I end up retiring. I could say something like California (for the climate), or Cornwall (a lovely part of the UK with amazing coastline) or Wales (the old country) but in reality I don't care as long as I am with or near to the people I hold dearest. Rather live in a shithole and be happy then in paradise but completely isolated!

Q. Thinking back to your childhood, what one thing would you bring back and change about modern life, if you could?

Jim Allen:
A. To be honest, I don't think there is anything I would bring back from my childhood era to modern life. Although, in a few weeks' time, my answer might be electricity if things keep going the way they are.

Q. If you could travel to any year in a time machine, what year would you choose and why?

leatherman:
A. 1984
if I was 23 again then I could be with Randy and our 7 cocker spaniels all over again. (buy my first CD, Purple Rain; go on my first date with Randy, Purple Rain; get my first tattoo (purple rain-ish); get one ear and one nipple pierced; got our first cocker Apollonia (purple rain stuff again);our pet store "reigning pets"; and bought my first leather jacket and harness) Yes, yes. I understand it means I'd get HIV all over again and eventually lose my little family. But then I'd get to be with my second family of Jim and our 4 cockers. (cedar point, kings island, pooltag, hiking at nelson ledges, the BIG swimming pool). And I know I'd lose them too; but then I'd have my life with Larry and our border collie start all over again.

I'm very pragmatic about my life. I made a lot of decisions, good and bad, and had a lot of life-changing events happen (I'll take credit for the HIV, but not the auto accidents, the house fire, the death of my partners and pets), so my life is with it is. Even with all the tragedy, I'm happy with my life because I've been so loved. I'd love to do it all again, not changing anything, to be able to enjoy it all a second time as much as I enjoyed it the first time around.

Although, since forewarned  is forearmed and I'm a very cautious person, I'd try to skip all the death and near-death days. ;)

Q. What is your favorite book or the book that made an impact in your life?

fabio:
Mike,your answer seems very thought out,and I'm glad that all the way through your life journey you had love and still do have love.

A
I would say The alchemist by Paulo Coelho. It's a very light read,it was the very first book I ever read because I hated reading (my literature teacher suggested that I read a book in order to improve on my writing,and that was really good advice), so when I read it I felt like I was missing on many things these years. In general I used to have a big imagination as a kid (that's what most teachers said),so if I had started earlier maybe I could have dealt better with my issues back then.
Anyways,this book signifies on going through a journey,having the courage to take on difficult tasks of travelling and finding a hidden treasure when all along the treasure was the journey itself. It probably got inspired by the odyssey, who knows. It signifies my journey as well, because I never took risks and never tried to improve myself,instead I sulked and gave up before trying. In turn,I did eventually get the push to pursue my own journey and not wait for it to happen (like the hero staying in his village,herding sheep and being bound to it,not experiencing what the world has to offer), a coming of age of sorts.

Q

Who was the person that influenced you the most, shaped your character and why?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version