Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:22:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 672
Total: 672

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce Yourself and Meet Others, Part 2  (Read 3045 times)

Offline escapevelocity

• snow.
Introduce Yourself and Meet Others, Part 2
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:41:23 pm »
This is an extension of this post http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=338.0, which was so long it crashed my browser a few times.  So I thought I'd start a new thread.

Hi Everyone,

My name is John and I'm currently living in Seattle, Washington.  I tested positive in 1997, just a few days before the fourth of July.  I'm pretty sure I was infected within a year of the positive test, since that was a pretty crazy time in my life - filled to overflowing with sex and drugs and rock-n-roll.

I live with a partner of 9 years (he's negative), and our dog who is also serves as my part-time antidepressant.  I'm 35.  My partner and I haven't had sex in years, and I think he's afraid of the virus even though he says otherwise.  I'm not entirely sure we'll be together for another 9 years, but who knows.  I'll be moving to Iowa sometime before 2008.  I'm an introvert, although most people don't believe me when I tell them that. 

I've had some interesting successes in the professional world, though I'm ready for a change.  I'm considering going back to college to finally finish up my degree, then finding work in the IT industry.  But hanging out in a cafe in the middle of nowhere (like Iowa) and pulling espresso for a while also has a certain allure.

I've been on meds for 7 years - the same combination this whole time (Epzicom and Sustiva).  My CD4 hovers anywhere from 600 - 800, and my viral load is < 50 copies, and has been for the duration of the time I've been on meds.  I've been very lucky.

The meds I'm on make me extremely tired and depressed.  It sucks, and I'm talking to my doc in a week about finally trying something else.  Music helps get me through.  I like indie, PUNK, pop, hip-hop, trance, folk, funk, and can even tolerate some twang.  I'm about to launch a prolonged investigation into House and Jungle after a recent article in POZ about the healing effects of House music...  I also enjoy reading and writing, Vipassana (Mindfulness) Buddhism, Veganism, Biking, Graphic Novels and Coding PHP and MySQL. 

Politically I'm pretty far left of center, and have an interest in feminism, civil rights, classism, homophobia, and (of course) health care.  While I have strong political leanings, I don't need my friends to agree with everything I believe, or to be political themselves.  I'm quite comfortable being with people who are strikingly different from me, even ideologically. 

I also dig tattoos...  finishing up a full sleeve on my left arm, and assorted others elsewhere.  I have a pretty mellow demeanor even when I'm not depressed, and enjoy my humor like I enjoy my beer - extremely bitter.  My middle name is "Schadenfreude."

My family doesn't know that I'm HIV Positive, as far as I know.  I'm not sure why I haven't told them.  I don't think it would floor anybody.  I just don't think it's any of their damn business and their support would not be a particular comfort to me.

Recent books I've read include "My Pet Virus" by Shawn Decker, "I Am Not Myself These Days" by Josh Kilmer-Purcell, and "The Mind of the Raven" by Bernd Heinrich.  I'm trying to tackle "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn, but I'm having a hard time getting into it.

I'm really excited to find this site, and I'm hoping to make some new friends of any gender, status, orientation, etc.  I'd love to hear from you and welcome any messages or posts.  And if you're in Seattle or Iowa, definitely give me a shout!  I'd love to meet you.

Offline Longislander

Re: Introduce Yourself and Meet Others, Part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »
Hey John, great intro. You have a great handle on yourself, and now we do too! Seems to me you're gonna fit right in here! Jump in and when you get the first "who the hell are you", point 'em to this thread.

Geez, I think there's orgies in Iowa going on ( or was that Idaho?)

Anyway-WELCOME!

Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline rick21007

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:25:44 am »
Howdy John and Welcome to AM!   Intriguing bio.  Like Paul said you are gonna fit right in with this motley crew.  So what's in Iowa for you?? (I hitched across the state a couple of times years ago, but I get so disoriented without mountains around someplace I just figured it was no place for me.)

I'm a new poz--got infected about 14 months ago (at a time when I wasn't being particularly mindful)  and was diagnosed last December (when I was.)  Also newly married to a wild Romanian. (who is neg.)   Hows that for synchronicity! Which is to say that hiv has not put the brakes on my life moving forward.

I also live in the Pacific Northwest--Central Oregon about 2 and half hours from Portland.  Don't expect to be here long as my husband will be doing a residency in surgery later on this year and we don't know yet where that is going to be.  So I could end up being somebody's neighbor on this forum.

Anyway, just wanted to tell you I have found these forums to be of tremendous value for the information and personal support I have found here.  Sure you will too.

Best, Rick

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:11:34 am »
John~~

Welcome to the Forum crew. I liked your intro and you seem like the kind of person I would chill with. I love tatts, I have 4 but nothing major. I would like to get some more one day in the future. As far as not disclosing to your family, I can relate to you choice. When you are ready you will or if you don't you won't. I hope to hear more from you in the future..
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 06:34:13 am »
Hi John... I surprised I never met you.  I lived in Seattle most of my life (I grew up on Vashon Island and Port Orchard) until I moved to Michigan two years ago for this job.  I have two full color sleeves.  There are a couple pics of them on my myspace profile

http://www.myspace.com/puck1967

If you want to see them in more detail I would be happy to show them to you.

I tested poz around the same time as you (1997 - Jan) & was probably poz for a while before that. 

Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.