Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:34:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773300
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 730
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 285
Total: 285

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hep b 3rd shot  (Read 3776 times)

Offline sensual1973

hep b 3rd shot
« on: December 08, 2009, 08:37:35 am »
am getting my 3rd hepB injection late December,then a booster a year after my first injection,was wondering when anti-bodies usually develop,or shall i wait for the whole course and test ? -it's quiet a long wait.

cheers.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Re: hep b 3rd shot
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 11:54:20 am »
Elf had a recent thread because he had three Hep B shots and he was not able to develop the antibodies. I don't know how common this is, he did not mention the booster after the 3rd injection, which you say you are doing.

If I were you I would definitely do the booster and just be patient and hope for the best. Also, maybe Dr. Gallant or the doctors on thebody.com have some insight on this.

LINK TO ELF'S THREAD:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=30075.0

Offline sensual1973

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:32:33 pm »
Inchingblue
i did the HepB vaccines couple of years ago and didnt develop the anti-bodies too,thats why my doc reccomends a boost this time,hope it works.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:39 pm »
I just had to get a booster for Hep B last week, and I know I've had one at least twice before.  My initial 3-part vaccination was back in the mid-90's and that is standard.  I think my doctor tests me for antibody response every five years, and I guess for some of us we have to get the booster, at least that's how I understand it... I'm far from expert status with this topic.  However, I'm not sure if it's typical just to give someone a booster without testing to see how they responded to the initial 3-part vaccine, which is what it seems sensual1973 is saying.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline PozBrian

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:46:00 pm »
I had the full course of Hep B shots quite a few years ago, not long after the became available it think. Anyway. When I tested HIV+ the obligatory Hep B test came back that I was not immune, meaning the shots didn't take. Apparently it happens. So I was scheduled to get the full course again. I got the first one but then on my next set of blood tests, I showed immunity to Hep B.

Not sure if it was a lab mistake or what. It got me out of the last two Hep B shots though :)
Currently Trivicay & Truvada
1/15 549 37%UD
9/14 778 35% UD
5/14 537 36% UD
6/13 632 36% UD 
6/12 559 39% UD
11/09 CD4: 379, 25% VL: UNDETECTABLE!!
10/09 CD4: 245, 25% VL: 87
9/09 CD4: 246, 24% VL: 49!
8/09 CD4: 277, 26% VL: 115
7/09 CD4: 346, 24% VL: 221
6/09 started meds.
4/09 HIV +, CD4: 397, 16%  VL:195000, PPD reactive

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:46:08 pm »
There is a detailed article on this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525180/?tool=pmcentrez
---
Some approaches after the vaccine failure {I've read it on Pubmed}:

1. revaccination with normal, but frequent doses: 0,1,2,3,4,5 instead of 0,1,6

2. revaccination with double doses

3. intradermal revaccination (instead of intramuscular)

4. HBV + HAV combined vaccination

http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/abs/10.1086/589722

Conclusion.Revaccination of nonresponders to the standard hepatitis B vaccine regimen with a double dose of the combined hepatitis A and B vaccine was highly effective. This is most likely explained by the increased dose, a positive bystander effect conferred by the hepatitis A vaccine, or both.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 04:51:13 pm by elf »

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 08:27:04 pm »
Everyone is different. I only had 1 heb B shot and one heb A shot before I was immune. I never had to take any booster shots. I was 20 at the time and going for a routine STD when I found out about my immunity to both of them.
Change the way you view the world, and the world around you changes.

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »
My Heb B test show up like so.

Name                                                      Value              Reference Range

HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIBODY QL      REACTIVE      NON-REACTIVE
HEPATITIS B SURFACE ANTIGEN              NON-REACTIVE   NON-REACTIVE
HEPATITIS B CORE AB TOTAL                      REACTIVE      NON-REACTIVE

Doctor explained to me that these results show: A) That I was once exposed the virus but able to clear it from my body or B) That my vaccine effectively made me immune to the Heb B virus or  C) A combination of both, that  I was exposed to the virus, but my vaccine was strong enough to kill it.

Hope that helps you out.

James

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 11:48:58 pm »
I've wondered a lot about this.  So far, I've taken 2 shots of the Hep A & B vaccine.  I'm suppose to get the 3rd early next year.  I've heard many docs don't want to test for antibodies--especially if a person doesn't have insurance and is on some kind of assistance.  I hope that isn't widespread.  Then, I read the 3rd shot is usually not necessary because the first 2 usually do the trick.  It appears that obviously isn't true for everyone. 

I've wondered about my pneumonia vaccine.  I got it in the hospital when my CD-4 was 171 after getting pneumonia.  I've read I probably didn't get a good immune response because of low CD-4.  I've wondered whether a booster would be in order now instead of the 5 year mark. 

I hope they work for you and you don't have to start over. 

Offline jcelvis

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2009, 11:57:06 pm »
hep A is only a 2 series shot, hep B is a 3 series

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.