Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:32:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HELP! My computer took a powder!  (Read 3818 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
HELP! My computer took a powder!
« on: March 30, 2007, 07:24:45 pm »
I was sitting at home last evening and there was a power failure. All the lights in the area apparently went out for a few seconds, then came back on.

But, there must have been one heck of a power surge when it did because everything went haywire. The motion sensitive lights in my yard went on and never shut off, like they're supposed to, the satellite went out and had to completely reprogram itself and my computer is fried.

The computer was on a surge protector and nothing else seems to have been affected, but the computer now refuses to even switch on. (I am at work at the moment and using the work computer).

Now I have to find a Mac repairman. I don't know squat about computers and, being color blind, electric wiring was never my forte anyway.

So, if I'm not around much, its because I a nursing a sick Mac.

SIGH,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: HELP! My computer took a powder!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 07:27:13 pm »
Mark,

Hopefully it's just your power supply which has been fritzed. It sounds like it. Power supplies are designed to take the hit of a surge. These are easily replaced and all the assorted data (hehehehe) on your hard drive should be safe.

MtD

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:28:08 pm »
remove the surge protector, and plug your pc to another outlet that is not on the same breaker?

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline BriGuyNY,NY

• Looking on the bright side of life
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 10:32:14 pm »
I have a battery back up...gives 15 minutes of power in case...then automatically shuts everything down if power not restored
The strongest warrior, is the one who conquers himself....Aztec warrior

Dripping water hollows out a stone...Ovid

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 10:40:55 pm »
Mark, you may have blown the power supply unit within the Mac and will need it replaced.

Anyone who really wants to not worry about this with a computer should shun the more normal surge protectors and invest in a UPS (uninterruptible power supply) unit.

more detail here:  http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?Section_Id=201476

that's what I have, but of course you can find many other models/manufacturers
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2007, 06:27:24 am »
Hello Marc,

Sorry to hear about the computer. Sounds like a power supply to me also. I agree with Philly. If possible try to get an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) They do the job of protecting the computer much better. Hope you get things going soon.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 06:33:41 am »
Mark, I had the same thing happen the week before last and had to get a new power pack. I paid 52 bucks for mine. That reminds me, I need to get a couple cans of air to clean out my computer and keyboard.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2007, 09:47:48 am »
When one looks at the investment made in a computer and the info it contains, a UPS is well-worth the cost. The higher end units have plug-ins in the back or sides that allow to choose between surge suppressor only or surge supressor with battery back-up as well. Sends out a beep signal when current is altered/needs resetting. I purchased mine at Office Max. Some even have gaurantees on protecting your computer and it's contents.

Offline Grinch

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2007, 09:50:47 am »
   Before you run out to Wal-Mart and install a $20.00 UPS thinking everything is safe please consider that there are several kinds of UPS's available. Relying strictly on a cheap UPS is worse than relying on a surge suppressor.

A line interactive UPS also known as a standby UPS, may or may not have built in surge suppression.  This type of UPS is typically the cheap Wal-mart or Best Buy style.  This UPS acts as a switch.  When there is power, it is sent directly to your computer.  Power is not isolated via batteries and an inverter.  When power is interrupted it then switches to battery.  This type of UPS MIGHT have some built in surge suppression but it really will be no better than that surge suppressing outlet strip.  This UPS may have a switching time that is so slow that depending on the power supply on your computer, it may not even switch to battery in time to keep your computer from shutting down during a power interruption.

At the other end of the spectrum is the "true on-line" UPS.  This UPS is always on, meaning AC (wall power) feeds the battery charger keeping the batteries charged.  The power from the batteries (DC) is then sent to an inverter that chops the DC back into AC.  What this means to your computer is: A very stable and steady power source at all times, including during a power interruption. This unit will usually have good surge suppression built in, however for very sensitive or expensive equipment ( A CT Scanner or MRI machine) it is advisable to add an external surge suppressor.

Bottom line is you get what you pay for.  If you are in an area with dirty power or there are frequent re-closure events. you should consider a really good surge suppressor and or a good on-line UPS. (Reclosure is  very rough on electronics.  This occurs when something like a squirrel is across a power line.  The power company switching equipment will shut off power for about a second then turn it back on, this will be repeated up to a total of 3 times.  If they succeed in burning off what ever is causing the problem power stays on.  If not power stays off.)

There are a couple of types of UPS that fall between these two ends of the spectrum, but these really are the two most common. Do not fall under the misconception that a UPS will protect you from surges or even sags.  Unless you buy a good one stick to the best surge suppressor you can find.

If you'd like a dissertation  on different types of surge suppression and UPS's feel free to ask. It's a subject I know fairly well.  This was really just a very brief overview.

Some times wrong information is worse than no information.

Edited for spelling

« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 10:09:49 am by Grinch »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2007, 03:36:45 pm »
Hi Mark,

Your going to hear differant thoughts on how to protect electronic equipment. I still say that having a good quality UPS is your best bet. And yes, there are crap ones, and there are better ones. All depends on what you can afford, how much you want to spend.

All of our computers and servers at work ( besides being on a dedicated power line) are protected by UPS systems. The one I have on my home computer was a little over 120.00. I have had it for several years. I have replaced the battery once in that time. Down here in Florida, Power surges and interruptions happen daily in the summer months. I have never had problems. I have been on the computer, when spikes,, surges, brown-outs, and loss of power have occurred, with no problems.

The UPS will give you time, to safely shut down your computer, at the first electrical glitch that comes along. This is one of the main purposes of a UPS, ( especially in the home), to be able to safely shut down and disconnect electrical equipment , to prevent damage. It's also important to note, that a surge can come through the phone line or cable. If that is not protected, it can damage the computer also.

Just a couple links ;

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/s/surge_protector.html

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/power/ext/comp.htm (scroll down slightly)

Once again, when buying any type of surge suppression device it's important to know how those devices are electrically rated for surge and spike protection, this includes a UPS.

Take care and hurry back------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 06:29:36 pm »
Everyone's advice is spot on. 

The only other recommendation I can make is to take the fried power supply to a computer store to insure you get the same size.  Power supplies look alike but they are designed for different processor types and such.  Get too powerful of a power supply and it'll fail quickly since it's having to burn off the energy degrading the circuits.  If you get one too small, it won't be able to run your components and again you have problems.

On the UPS, be sure to get one with a good warranty.  The batteries are replaced on a regular basis since they tend to hold a smaller and smaller charge over time.  Take a look at the total cost of ownership before deciding on the one you want and can afford.

Surge protectors are crap unless you get a high end one but then you're in the UPS category pricewise.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline marc11864

• I apologize for nothing!
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 08:56:22 pm »
Hi Marc!  :)

Ah we're everywhere aren't we :P

1) As was mentioned, I'd try plugging into an outlet that you know has a current running through it if that fails...

2) Take the computer to your nearest reputable certified Apple store or repair shop and have them test the power pack and then the battery.

Good luck.
Let us cavort like the Greeks of old! You know the ones I mean.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2007, 05:22:44 pm »
I`m just hoping that it is not a 1 April joke ..........
And if is not, that you have removed all  photos amd movies from PC  :-[   ::)  ;D
                                                                   Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.