Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:36:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 298
Total: 298

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ways to fight fatigue/weakness  (Read 7017 times)

Offline LifeAfterHIVDiagnosis

Ways to fight fatigue/weakness
« on: October 31, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »
Hi my POZ friends,

This may sound trivial and somewhat uninspiring, I figured I'd still give a try. Granted I was diagnosed only a few months ago and my numbers have been great (VL undetectable and CD4 754), I have been feeling very weak/fatigued 75% of the time. I do realize it comes with the disease, and maybe, as a side effect of the meds, but I was wondering, those of you who also have chronic weakness/fatigue, what do you do to help you fight it?

My friend suggested some fitness exercises, and swimming. What would you suggest that has worked for you? I would very much appreciate it!

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
Re: Ways to fight fatigue/weakness
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 05:52:50 pm »
You may wish to have a doctor look over your most recent Complete Blood Count (CBC) to determine if you are, perhaps, anemic.  An over-the-counter iron tablet can help with this, if you are anemic.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lightfighter

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 06:21:30 pm »
I'm a 37 year old male.

In February, the month before my infection, I went to my Dr feeling the same way. She ran some tests and found out it was low testosterone.

I started and went abut my merry way. After the third shot I felt better. Energy was retuning and so was my sexual desires, (the wife was happy,  out of the time about that ;). Then I had my exposure and became sick towards the end of March. April was a blur for the first two weeks. Was dx 1 April, one helluv an April fools day.

It took me a few months on meds to feel normal again. I was feeling sluggish too. So I started analyzing what's going on. I found that my diet and exercise routine isn't what it needed to be.

I didn't go on a diet, I just cleaned up my eating and started exercising. I would run 10-15 miles per work week and rest on the weekends. I'm feeling great now, like I used too.

I would get the doc to run labs on you to check for everything especially in your metabolism. Your T could be low, or your thyroid acting up. After that, change your diet and get active. It sucks at first, but you'll see and feel the diffrence about a month later.

Offline harleymc

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 08:22:16 pm »
Hey lifeAfter,
" I do realize it comes with the disease, and maybe, as a side effect of the meds", according to who? This is fatalistic negative thinking with no real world evidence for it.

There is nothing inevitable about well controlled HIV having any impact on our lives.

Billions of HIV negative people worldwide feel tired and there are potions and pills flogged endlessly on commercial media or on billboards, you can buy new pillows, a new mattress, multivitamins, exercise equipment, herbal supplements, magnets, feng-shui, spectacles that filter out blue wavelengths... and the list goes on and on... It's a big market cause so many people are convinced that there is something wrong with them.

Asking the people with chronic fatigue how they are unsuccessfully treating it, is just setting yourself up for failure. Ask the people who are energised how they build energy is the way to go.

25% of the time you don't feel tired, that makes me think it's not anything like a deficiency. But just incase, check in with your doctor for some blood tests. Have you had issues with sleep, maybe a sleep clinic may help. If your mood is low a psychologist may help.

Keep a diary, work out the times / events/ activities/ amount of sleep that you feel good energy and the times you don't.

So some things that impact on energy are; mood, if you're happy and feel good about yourself then tired is just your body talking to you.
Exercise, start out light with short sessions, set achievable goals, achieve them build slowly, keep a diary...
Set goals in life,  set yourself personal goals, a less than pleasant task and a reward, do them no matter how tired you feel. But make sure the task is a broken down into achievable bites.
Phone a friend ( not just text), have brunch or go out together.

Big Hugs and let us now how you are going

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:33:19 pm »
Hi,...

The fact is,  Many of us HIV infected individuals are dealing with some sort of fatigue and in various degrees.

Your recently infected, so your body is still going through some changes.  Are you sleeping well at night ? The fatigue and weakness may go away in time.

What I would suggest, is to keep mentioning this to your Doctor. Keep a journal of sorts, and mark down when the fatigue, and weakness is the worse. As others have suggested, there may be other tests that your Doctor can order, to make sure everything is OK. Have him check your testosterone.

This is a link from this sites lessons.  Perhaps you may find more in this link, that may give you some answers, or something to talk to you Doctor about.

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/feeling-tired-fatigue-anemia

What medications are you on ?  And I will ask again,  do you feel as though your getting a good nights sleep ?

Take care, and keep us informed as to how things are going for you.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:44:11 pm »
Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your responses!

I am on Complera, and have been since April. I will, certainly, speak to my doc and ask for all the blood tests available out there.

I do realize exercising may help, so I am going to sign up at the local gym. I do think I get enough sleep (8-9 hours per night), and have no hard time falling asleep. I do, however, have an eating problem. I do eat, but very little. Breakfast is the worst. I basically have to force myself to eat something, but rarely do I finish it, mostly feeling like puking. This problem combined with fatigue is not a constant, but rather an off and on kind of phenomenon.
I guess once I see my doc and she runs the lab tests, which, hopefully, will reveal something, I will let you all know!
Once again, thanks for all your advices!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 11:16:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

I do, however, have an eating problem. I do eat, but very little. Breakfast is the worst.

Hello again,...

Complera, needs to be taken with food.  Are you sure that you are eating enough, when taking this medication?

This kind of bothers me a little bit,... you say you have an eating problem. Do you have an eating disorder?  Did you have any problem with food,  prior to becoming HIV positive.

If you do have an eating disorder, you need to mention this to your doctor as well, but it's important that Complera be taken with food.

If you are not getting enough nutrtion throughout the day,  this could be a problem !

Also, if your feeling nauseous, you need to mention this to your doctor as well. 
Take care of yourself---Ray
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:21:32 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 12:07:31 pm »
I easily recognize "buzz" words with eating issues.  I experienced severe electrolyte imbalances due to my previous eating patterns that caused all sorts of issues.  I would urge you to discuss this honestly with your doctor.

I suffered fatigue on a regular basis and was per near in denial about the underlying causes.  My doctor finally referred me to a nutritionist that I worked with to solve some issues.

Multi vitamins are not a great alternative for proper nutrition.  I wrongly held that belief for too long.  They are a supplement, not a substitute.  :)

take care and best wishes
wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 02:06:02 pm »
Eat a good healthy breakfast, exercise, sunshine, sex, sleep.
that`s MY recipe. try it and see if it works.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 03:46:10 pm »
I can definitely do some exercises, and try to eat healthy (I do, not as much though), but sex? Hmm, another story lol

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 05:10:18 pm »
Others have said it, but it bears repeating.

You are newly diagnosed with a healthy CD4 count and UD. There is no reason for you to have chronic fatigue due to the virus. Any fatigue should be checked out by a doctor, as there are a myriad of different (non-HIV) causes that cause this problem in the general population as well as in people living with HIV.

That said, rarely meds can sometimes cause issues, but these tend to pass with time. If there is a suspicion that these are causing the problem then get switched to a different regimen.

I do think that a downside of the virus, is that we tend to attribute everything we feel to HIV, when in reality we are still humans and susceptible to all the ailments and foibles we would have had without the virus. What I'm trying to say is - if you have something that is concerning you then don't hesitate to get it checked out and treated, rather than resigning yourself to living with the problem due to it being 'likely caused by HIV'. :)
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 06:47:05 pm »
I do think that a downside of the virus, is that we tend to attribute everything we feel to HIV, when in reality we are still humans and susceptible to all the ailments and foibles we would have had without the virus.

Worth repeating.

I can definitely do some exercises, and try to eat healthy (I do, not as much though), but sex? Hmm, another story lol

Yes, sex. I think its good and healthy not only physically but also mentally.
You are 37 years old, not 73 and even when i reach 73, I still hope to be getting my leg over from time to time.

Jim
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:57:36 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline californiarunner

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 04:46:12 pm »
What has worked with me is to follow a strict exercise routine. That could be running, walking, roller skating, biking, swimming....but FIND an activity and STICK with it. I have made running a priority in my life. I was an age division runner a long time before I became positive, but since then have kept it up even more seriously.

The meds, or the virus, cause physical problems in our bodies. Whether its the fat displacement, or the overall stress we have to endure, WE NEED TO STAY FIT!

As soon as I was diagnosed, about 2 months later I started a gym routine, that emphasized strengthening my "core", and especially all areas related to posture. I try to do "activities" rather than weight machines as I feel we can best benefit from a bit of movement as well as strengthening exercises. I'm NOT at the gym to look good at the beach!

So, at least 3 days a week I am strengthening my body focusing on the core. And then, at least another 3 days I am doing "aerobic" exercise outside...(run, walk, bike, etc)

I made these routines a part of my daily lifestyle, so for example, if I have an appointment at some location a couple miles away, I jog there! (And I bring a change of clothes in my backpack).

I get really bored with repetitive exercises, but I did find "Cross fit" to be fun and incentivating. Or, look for friends to jog with, or do "hops" up the street or grassy area of a park.

Offline cesar_camargo

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 05:50:32 pm »
Fadige can be a major problem and really hard to find out the origin.
But as most said, it is a real problem with usually a solution.

Sharing a bit of my case since mine was a bit different. Never had any low levels of anything, in exam terms my health was always flawless. But the fatigue was piling up slowly for the last 4/5 years. Eventually I had some other problems (gi tract infection) and from doctor recommendation I ended up supplementing probiotics, in a couple weeks fatigue was near gone, and nowadays I feel as I felt went I was 20 (32 now).

Bottomline, run whatever exams you can check hormonal levels, including testosterone, vitamin levels etc. It can be anything but for sure there is a cause to be found out :)

Offline Marcus91

• “One love, one heart, one destiny.”
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 03:07:45 pm »
I would advice you to speak to your doctor about it : the doctor definitely knows more than 99% of us about the appropriate solution for you. I agree with your friends that you should go swimming and do some fitness to keep yourself feel uplifted. I even have a coupon for some products that might help you get vitamins and improve your health : LINK REMOVED BY MODERATOR.  Not sure that you need it, just want to help somehow. The most important thing here is to think positively and be active!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:45:20 pm by Ptrk3 »
Marcus

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2017, 03:40:39 pm »
Marcus91:  you have been permanently banned from this site (and your link removed), since you are a "spammer."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 03:45:47 pm by Ptrk3 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline LeftyBowler300

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2017, 09:52:45 am »
So I'm actually preaching to myself as well in this post, because I've been relatively sedentary since my diagnosis (a little over a month ago)

There's actually something called "TATTS" = Tired All The Time Syndrome, and it seems to occur more frequently in people who are sedentary. That's why getting back into exercise when your body has been in a persistent sedentary state is like moving a stopped train.

For me, the biggest telltale sign that something might be wrong is what happens to me during exertion, as well as during recovery. Most of the time after 4-5 minutes of light warmup exercises, I'm pumped and ready to do more.

But there have been times that I've been ill, and after my warm up exercises I got light headed, had a headache, heart was working harder, and I felt generally unwell. My body was telling me it didn't want to do much. (This is when you might schedule an appointment with your PCP just for a checkup or a CBC if they feel it's necessary)

There are times the morning after exercise where I wake up feeling refreshed and energized, maybe a little sore from exercising the day before.

There are other days I wake up looking paler, feeling "off" and not as energized. Pay attention to days like this, and see how often that happens. There could be many causes, as simple as a bad night's sleep. So just watch and wait for consistency.

But yeah either way get out and do something! Whether it's the gym or the pool or a bike, move your body!

Exertion is a good way to unmask problems (at least to me) and most things doctors can fix.
Apr 1, 2017 DX - CD4 8 , VL 820,000
OI's: Disseminated Histoplasmosis, Thrush, PCP
Apr 17, 2017 started Genvoya, Bactrim, Sporanox, Azitrhomycin
Jun 9, 2017 - CD4 42 (3%) , VL 100
Jul 17, 2017 - CD4 57 (4%) , VL 53
Sep 16, 2017 - CD4 57 (4%) , VL 130 - Ugh..
Oct 20, 2017 - CD4 63 (5%) , VL 100
Dec 1, 2017 - CD4 56 (3%) , VL <20
Mar 15, 2018 - CD4 73 (5%) , VL <20
Nov 5, 2018 - CD4 104 (7%), UD
Jan 26, 2019 diagnosed with HIV-associated DLBCL (lympoma) with 6cm mass near liver w/ abdominal fatty tissue involvement
6 rounds of RR-EPOCH
2 rounds of high dose methotrexate
(8 rounds of IV chemo total)
11 Lumbar punctures with intrathecal chemo
June 5, 2019 - Complete Response/Remission
Feb 20, 2020 - CD4 187, VL UD
Aug 2020 - CD4 247, VL UD
Stopped all prophylaxis
June 2021 - 2 years remission

Offline newbie2016

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2017, 05:55:27 am »
so i have read the majority of the post, but...dont be to harsh now people...  how do we know fact from fiction in regards to the opinions or facts of the meds info..
I am now really wanting to know info,, do excuse me i belief we all have a opinion.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 07:38:40 am »
@ Newbie
Nobody is being harsh to the OP.

Now if you have a problem with Patricks decision to remove a link or ban a member for spamming than please send a PM or use the report to moderator feature and you're concerns will be considered.  The member in question was a spammer trying to sell snake oil. End of the day hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works for anyone making any claims is expected however this was purely spam and a link that paid the poster by the click.

Going forward note that debating a mod decision in a thread and/or hijacking any thread away from the OP topic is not an option that is open to you.

Please do not post in this thread again - Thank you for your cooperation.

Jim
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=277.0

@ OP
I hope you are doing well and I apologize for the continued disruption to your thread.

Jim

« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 07:49:53 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline GreenMtnBear

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2017, 09:12:59 pm »
OK, you may laugh at this response, but it works for me.

I take a one hour nap every afternoon!

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2017, 11:59:46 pm »
GreenMtnBear:  Are you HIV positive?  If so, please introduce yourself and tell us more or your story and situation.  If not, please understand that these forums are for people who are HIV positive and those who know and support those with HIV.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline GreenMtnBear

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2017, 09:19:42 am »
OK - not sure if I should do that on this thread or start another...in the interest of not hijacking a thread, I'll start another  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.