Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:13:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 638
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Diverticulitis, what a nightmare it's been....  (Read 3883 times)

Offline skeebo1969

Diverticulitis, what a nightmare it's been....
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:47:11 am »

I've suffered from this since I was 32.  I still remember my sero conversion in 2005 and of course my diverticulitis flared up something bad to make it so memorable.  Fun times indeed.

In the past my flare ups have mainly affected the small intestines, but recently through a CT scan, it's now in my colon.  This latest episode has been trying.

I'm trying to change my diet, but am having great difficulty figuring out why this is becoming a constant issue for me.  I just finished a month long regimen of Cipro and Metronidazole and it seems to be coming back.

Does anyone else here suffer from this?  I've tried fiber supplements and what not to no avail.  Frustrating would be an understatement.

Skeebo
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
Re: Diverticulitis, what a nightmare it's been....
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:10:23 am »
Hey Skeebo, I have a friend who has this also, she avoids anything with small seeds especially tomato.  She is also religious with the Metamucil and yogurt, and the more fiber you have in your diet the better.
I know... Fiber, fiber, fiber  ::)

Hope you get some relief, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:36:27 am »
Hey Skeebo, I have a friend who has this also, she avoids anything with small seeds especially tomato.  She is also religious with the Metamucil and yogurt, and the more fiber you have in your diet the better.
I know... Fiber, fiber, fiber  ::)

Hope you get some relief, Wade

Thanks Wade!   Yep, I even stay away from sesame seed covered buns.  That didn't sound right, but it's the truth lol. 

Offline cesar_camargo

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2016, 07:50:26 am »
Curious here, what's the components in your hiv meds?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 10:00:54 am »
Curious here, what's the components in your hiv meds?

Truvada and Viramune.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2016, 10:20:00 am »
Truvada and Viramune.

Viramune did bad things to my innards, it was years ago but I have not forgotten why that one was switched.
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2016, 02:17:37 pm »
Maybe a med switch? I hope you find relief soon.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jody

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 05:20:24 pm »
Hi skeebo...I had the less serious diverticulosis years back I believe it was...also was told to avoid seeds, even nuts I think, as well as spicy foods, mustard, etc.

Intestines always a weakness with us HIV folks, hope you get better soon.
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Gokhan_Tr

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 12:27:04 am »

Hello Skeebo,

My doctor warned me in advance about this so she put me on a very high fiber diet and she forces me to drink at least 3-3,5 lt of water per day (which isn't a big problem since I am a heavy water drinker).

But as I was talking to her before about this (cause I always had bowel problems way before diagnosed), she said the worst, THE WORST case is surgery. So if it really can't be solved with medications or other treatments, you might also consult with your doctor about the surgery.

hope you'll get well very soon.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 11:02:53 am »
I suffered for years until I was rushed to the ER because of a severe attack while visiting my parents.

After finding out the cause, we moved on to treatments.  After explaining how certain foods cause flareups, I started tracking it.

In my case, turns out that raw cauliflower and broccoli are my worst culprets.  Sucks as I could munch on them constantly.  I can only eat them if steamed. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2016, 06:58:04 pm »
Viramune did bad things to my innards, it was years ago but I have not forgotten why that one was switched.

I tolerated it rather well for about 8 years now.  I did some digging online (I know not always a good thing), and one of the things I found was that you should not drink any alcohol while taking Viramune.  I've never heard this before.

I also read some info that diverticulitis occurs a lot in us pozzies, and in a small (very small) sample study--24% of those afflicted took Viramune.

I just love craft beers, and my wife and I enjoy going to all of the local breweries around here.  I don't drink much, but I do drink frequently..... well, I used to before all this started.  It makes me wonder if I may have triggered this with my drinking.  I also saw where beer and diverticulitis doesn't go well together either.

While my sources are not that great, it does offer me some insight on how to discuss this with my doctor tomorrow.   

Best time of the year for beer too, what with all the seasonal stouts and porters coming out.  Just my luck.

Thanks for the reply Wade.

Maybe a med switch? I hope you find relief soon.

Thanks Mecch, I hope so too.  I am going to discuss a med change with my doctor.  My insurance blocked our last efforts for a med change, however, I may have a valid reason now.

Hi skeebo...I had the less serious diverticulosis years back I believe it was...also was told to avoid seeds, even nuts I think, as well as spicy foods, mustard, etc.

Intestines always a weakness with us HIV folks, hope you get better soon.

Thanks Jody.  I am suppose to stay away from all of the above. It's tough when pistachios and cashews exist.

Hello Skeebo,

My doctor warned me in advance about this so she put me on a very high fiber diet and she forces me to drink at least 3-3,5 lt of water per day (which isn't a big problem since I am a heavy water drinker).

But as I was talking to her before about this (cause I always had bowel problems way before diagnosed), she said the worst, THE WORST case is surgery. So if it really can't be solved with medications or other treatments, you might also consult with your doctor about the surgery.

hope you'll get well very soon.

Thanks for the reply Gokhan_Tr.  I hope it does not come to surgery, but I fear it might due to the severity of it lately and the antibiotics not really working.

I suffered for years until I was rushed to the ER because of a severe attack while visiting my parents.

After finding out the cause, we moved on to treatments.  After explaining how certain foods cause flareups, I started tracking it.

In my case, turns out that raw cauliflower and broccoli are my worst culprets.  Sucks as I could munch on them constantly.  I can only eat them if steamed. 

When my doctor told me to avoid eating broccoli I was perplexed.  I never thought that could worsen my condition. 

Thanks for the reply wolfter. 

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »

I just picked up my first prescription of Genvoya.  I'm probably going to take it tonight.  Is there anything I should be aware of?  Truvada and Viramune were always taken without any thought.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.