Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:05:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 168
Total: 169

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Immigration concerns - on the road of getting married  (Read 2738 times)

Offline 9941_K

Immigration concerns - on the road of getting married
« on: October 07, 2011, 04:25:13 pm »
Hi,

I am Canadian poz woman living in Asia. Met a wonderful poz man in LA and we are planning to get married. We are both in good health and on meds. 

Right now I am in LA living with him but will go back to Asia from time to time for meds and check-up. So started to look around various options - K1 visa / married in US and then get green card etc... seems latter is easiest but I am not sure if my poz status will cause any hindrance on the application.

Confidentiality is another issue.

Would like to consult an immigration para-legal (preferably LA based and with experience handling heterosexual poz marriage) on how to proceed. Any referral, pls feel free to PM me.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

25 Jul 07 - worst day in my life :( :( :(
27 Jul - CD4 143 (13.00%); T4/T8 0.22; VL 26,000
9 Oct - CD4 202 (12.63%); T4/T8 0.13; VL n/a
5 Nov - CD4 162 (11.57%); T4/T8 0.18; VL 64,000
12 Jan 08 - Start truvada & sustiva

Offline emeraldize

Re: Immigration concerns - on the road of getting married
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:47:14 pm »
If you want to maintain your privacy, confidentiality while pursuing this information get a US friend of your fiance to call or make an appointment with USCIS and get answers for all of your questions. Congratulations and here's an early welcome to your US citizenry. Lucky you re: marriage and citizenship is second to that.

Offline Since2005

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:45:33 pm »
Hi emerald, Nice to hear back from you! I was wondering where you at. Haven't seen you around a while! I am glad you are back!!

Hi 99, that states has got rid of the ban on HIV issues from this year. Anyone can visit USA regardless of the HIV Status. Another good news is that before you/ your soon to be spouse would have to have insurance to cover your HIV treatment costs and needed to get waiver etc. Now, the very good news is HIV is no longer an issue as far as immigration concerns. Someone like you who are HIV+ and are in the process of getting GC then you don't even have to worry about getting tested for HIV. From this year, HIV testing is no longer required as part of the medical process. So, if you don't test for HIV then they would not even know if you have HIV or not and therefore you no longer need to have any waivers. This became so easy for us, you who are HIV+. I salute the Obama govt for this. Made ours (not me particularly but it changed the whole ball game for me as far living in the states concerns..) and so many others lives so much easier for so many things! I agree with Em, you could find more info from USCIS website or by just calling them.

Good luck with your immigration process and welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:48:25 pm by Since2005 »

Offline 9941_K

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 02:57:01 am »
Thanks both for useful advice, hope it won't be a lot of hassles on GC application  ;)

Best,
25 Jul 07 - worst day in my life :( :( :(
27 Jul - CD4 143 (13.00%); T4/T8 0.22; VL 26,000
9 Oct - CD4 202 (12.63%); T4/T8 0.13; VL n/a
5 Nov - CD4 162 (11.57%); T4/T8 0.18; VL 64,000
12 Jan 08 - Start truvada & sustiva

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.