Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:22:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Coming Out of My Shell  (Read 9313 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

Coming Out of My Shell
« on: June 03, 2006, 02:11:46 am »
Hi Everyone,
Some of you may remember me as Derbydog. I posted once under that name. Anyway, I have been hiv poz since 1984. This is only my second post, after 22 years of living with HIV I finally am wanting to do more about getting the word out anyway I can about HIV/AIDS. It is so sad that here in the USA we have so many new cases every year! It sickens me. It's beginning to piss me off too. So I guess that is why I'm starting to come out of my shell. I want to do whatever I can to help. If i can reach one person a day and at least make them think about HIV...That in itself is a small victory. So I make it a point to go into a local chatroom, pick on a person 18 or 19 years old. I'll ask them....Do you know how you can get HIV? It amazes me that so many are not too sure. What makes this real scary is that this is a gay chat room. Are our schools doing anything to educate our young people? This is disgracefull and to me, unacceptable behavior.
    I'd like to say to ZEPH that I am so very proud of you deciding to do that newspaper interview! Just this past week the AZ Republic Newspaper called me and wanted to do an interview. I agreed. 2  or more years ago I'd have said no...I was too worried about people finding out or thinking less of me for having HIV. Now I can safely say I don't give a rats ass what people think. I am proud of who I am. I'm a nice person. If people can't see that because I'm HIV POZ well that is there problem. I think ignorance breeds fear. That's why, like ZEPH, I've decided to do the interview with the newspaper.
    The reporter called me back yesterday to ask a few more questions. I told he to please remind people that HIV/Aids IS PREVENTIBLE. I asked her what section of the paper should I look for on Monaday. She said PAGE ONE. I was like wow. Wouldn't that be nice! Making page one of a newspaper without committing a felony...Now that would be cool. So I'll keep you all posted.
   So if anyone has any ideas on how I can help the cause, please feel free to let me know! I guess I'm going through my "coming out" phase of being hiv poz. It just feels like the right thing to do. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better. From what I've seen there are some really nice people on here. I wish you all well and can't wait till MONDAY! And more important, I can't wait to meet new friends on this site! Have a great weekend! Love to you all.....Jeffrey J
   The interview went really well. It lasted for 90 minutes, and believe me It could have been 90 days! I didn't hold anything Back. I was upfront about everything and told her the truth. I was nervous before we met, but once we got started it was like a run away freight train. It felt good to tell my story
Positive since 1985

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
Re: Coming Out of My Shell
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 02:52:42 am »
i'm proud of you... even though I am open being a blogger... i am still scared at times of people knowing.   

at least people i don't tell myself.

we each OWN our illness in different ways... some deny it for a long time, some are ashamed... some burst out 'out of the blue' with revelations.

this is quite a trend and makes for a new thread which i will post now.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:46:21 am »
Good for you!!!  I'm extremely open about my status, the only ppl that don't know are my family, for obvious reasons...and I don't think I can take seeing them hurt over it, so it's best to leave it be for now.  Being so open about it I have found more people are curious, even fascinated with the fact of coming face to face with someone with HIV.  I feel that I've touched many people's lives and help them to better understand to hate HIV, not the person with it.  People like yourself that have been through this for 20+ years truely are remarkable people, thank you so much for sharing with us.  *hugs*

~Sky~
Poz since 2003.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 08:18:37 am »
Welcome back, Jeffrey.

It's great to read that you're willing to be out and interviewed now about your status.

We need all the help people can offer in relation to stopping new infections. The deadly combo of our government's antiquated, politicized attitudes and the religious right are just some of the powerful forces which are preventing effective HIV prevention education.

Every new generation coming along has to learn about transmission and how to prevent it. Among those who are older, we're also failing to get the word out enough to those in retirement communities where spouses,  gay,  straight and anywhere in between on the sexual spectrum, are continuing to bring HIV home to their partners.

Life is way too short to live in a shell unless you're an oyster.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 11:27:08 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 08:42:08 am »
Andy, Thanks so much for your insightful comments about the gov and the right wing! That is so true! It's a constant battle with them. We just have to keep on battling them. I'm up for it because I disagree with their right wing antics! So keep on keeping on man. God bless you and be well. Thank you kindly again for your fine thoughts....Jeff
Positive since 1985

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 09:07:40 am »
Jeff:

Thanks for the intro buddy, welcome back, and good for you for stepping up and doing the interview!  Like Andy said, it's important!

RAB

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 10:32:16 am »
Well, Jeffery, as the old saying goes,"better late than never" I commend you on your progress
and your commitment to educate the public at large about the plight of HIV+ people.  You
are an inspiration to us all...like Zephyr and Lisa!  A Big Thumbs Up, Good Buddy!  We are honored
to have you and many others in our midst.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 02:09:15 am »
Hi Jeff...

Glad I found this thread, and I thank you for sharing your story with us! I'm very impressed with what you have to say, and appreciate every word you typed. Good for you!!

Twenty-two years in the shadows, and now stepping into the light. Amazing. I'm proud to meet you, truly.

Well honey, that freight train you've mentioned is headed north to California now, I can hear the rumbles on the rails, our Michael (sonomabeach) started this in Coastal California, it zoomed over to Kansas City to Trish, then down to you, and back to me up here in the Sierra Nevada foothills....who says we aren't makin' a difference???

Can't help it, but here comes another "WHOO HOOO'.........Rock on, Jeff, rock on!

Love,

Zephyr

p.s. Andy....
We need all the help people can offer in relation to stopping new infections. The deadly combo of our government's antiquated politicized attitudes and the religious right are just some of the powerful forces which are preventing effective HIV prevention education.
is one of the most powerful statements ever written on these forums. I'm grateful to you for saying this, may I use it in my interview? Course, I live in a conservative town, and I'm sure the letter's to the Editor will spout "Fire and Damnation', but what the hell, at least they'll be TALKING about it! Love you. (Hope my link works, it's my first time ;))
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 03:10:08 am »
What a brave thing to do Jeff.

But obviously you needed all those years to come to terms with HIV and life.
I did some articles myself. The last one had an almost recognisable pic of me in it.

As soon as my business is sold I won't hold back.

People like you and Zeph and Trish, actually many of us are helping to prevent AIDS from spreading by being open to our friends and relatives about our virus.

Welcome here and feeling your courage helps mine to blossom.

Hug

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 04:29:23 am »
Way to go Jeffrey!   I lived in Arizona for a couple of years, and I know what a conservative bent that state has (relatives in Mesa -- double yuck).

I'm anxious to read what you have to say and hope you'll provide a link.

(I'm also curious how this reporter found you in the first place though, lol)

Take care,
John

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.