Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:19:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 600
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Please read and give me your advice - worried sick  (Read 7648 times)

Offline Jack 1

Please read and give me your advice - worried sick
« on: December 17, 2007, 08:43:59 am »
Hi all,

I'm living and working in moscow but from UK. On firiday night I had unprotected vaginal sex with a prostitute twice. I know it was stupid and I am now very frightened. I am married and feel terrible that I have dont this to my wife and family. I am also feeling terrible guilt. I am 38 and so stupid. I am in a pressure job and unable to concentrate with all the worry, I cannot eat or sleep. I am convinced that this girl is probably HIV + and cannot know why she let me have sex without a condom but at the same time have no one to blame but myself. If she's HIV positive as I think she is then is it a slame dunk that I get it too? especially as we done it twice and the first time I was inside her for about 10 / 15 mins. The scond time I did not come inside her / outside her.

Please if there is anyone who has been here and got through it could you please let me know.....I'm trying to concentate on work and need to hear some positive words....

Finally, I think this is a great site....

Jack

Offline RapidRod

Re: Please read and give me your advice - worried sick
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:16:25 am »
The only thing you can do is test. 3 months is when you can collect your conclusive result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 12:41:42 pm »
Hi Jack,

First of all, no it is by no means a slam dunk that you will become infected if the woman you were with is even HIV+. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It is significantly more difficult to transmit from female to male so that is also in your favor. Of course lower risk is not the same as no risk, so yes, you do need to get tested.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after a possible exposure. So just to get an early result you might get tested at 6 weeks. A negative at 6 weeks points towards almost certainly testing negative again at 13 weeks.

In the meantime stay productively busy and the waiting time can pass more quickly than you may imagine possible at this point.

At this point you may not be planning to stray again, but being a dawg like many of us, just make sure you use a condom everytime if you do. They provide very effective protection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 12:43:34 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Jack 1

Re: Please read and give me your advice - worried sick - Andy thanks
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 12:44:26 am »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the quick response. I understand that the risk is low risk but not no risk from Man to Women. However part of the reason I am going out of my mind with worry is because the first time I had sex with her I was inside her for about 10 t0 15 mins. Surely I must have exposed myself to greater risk than average here if the girl is HIV +.

I was wondering if there is any correlation between the lenght of time inside the girl and the level of risk one exposes themselves to. I guess there is and am only grasping at straws here but would really appreciate if some one could tell me if they know anything about this.

Thanks again and I'll try and keep busy.....but generally finding it tough to concentrate. My mind keeps wandering to the fact that I may be positive and that I'm going to have to tell my wife and family.

Thanks
Jack

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 07:41:21 am »
Jack, your fears and wanting some kind of reassuring information are very understandable. We're obviously talking about an important health concern.

But also there is no getting around that you have a waiting period to get through. When you find yourself tensing up do the good deep and slow breathing which I recommend. It's amazing how calming it can be. And with a disciplined effort on your part you can focus on keeping productively busy. Those little pellets of emotion that go off every once in a while -- just let them be and get on with your work and your life.

I suggest testing at 6 weeks for a preliminary result. Assuming you test negative then, and I think you have a good chance of that happening, you'll know the likelihood is that you're going to continue to test negative at 13 weeks.

Now, get busy.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 02:02:59 am »
Andy,

Thanks for all the advice and support. Yes am doing as you suggested and keeping busy and trying not to think about the odds / likelyhood etc.
I will try and do one of these advance tests you can do after 2 to 3 weeks (think they measure viral load) and then hopefully all goes ok.
In the meantime I will focus on other things and cross the test bridge when it comes.

One thing that I was wondering though, is the odds approx. 3% of a male catching HIV during vaginal sex from someone infected. A fried of mine that had the same problem a few months ago told me that the dosctor said it was about 3%. However when I look at a study from the US Dept of Health it gives a much lower % (5 infected  in 10,000 of exposures to an infected source) = 0.05%. Its just there is a huge difference between these two percentages. Anyway I'm giving up researching on the internet as there are so many wildy different opinions / views.

Andy and all here hope you have a good xmas and new year and hopefully the news I bring in 2008 is a negative result.

Thanks all
Jack.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 04:17:08 am »
Jack,

The ONLY "advance" testing you should engage in is standard antibody testing at six weeks. You're just going to have to sweat it out. The PCR DNA viral load testing is NOT approved for diagnostic purposes as it has a high rate of returning FALSE positives. Do yourself a favour and don't go down that road.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks on the standard antibody tests. A six week negative is very unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

Just to give you some perspective, I was with my previous bf for a year and a half before we discovered my positive status - but he yet he remained hiv negative. Like all new relationships, we had a LOT of sex in the early days - without condoms. He was still hiv negative when the relationship ended eight years later. We used condoms AFTER my diagnosis, but not before.

You need to test, but the odds are overwhelmingly in your favour of testing negative from a ONE time encounter. You need to learn from this though and start using condoms.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2007, 02:18:01 am »
Ann,

Thanks for writing to me. I find that amazing that you were positive and yet he never picked it up. So it does seem that its difficult to pick up but that you shouldn't ride your luck. Thanks for the advice re. the viral load testing - I'll give it a miss as the last thing I need is a false positive!!

I'll stick it out for the 6 weeks. do as Andy suggests and keep my self busy / concentrate on other stuff and then just take the test.
I will update you in due course. I'll sign off now until I test as there is no point in continuously asking what if questions.

Thanks again to all on this site, it has been a life saver effectively for me as the initial guilt followed by the fear was completely destroying me. On top of that the stuff on the internet in general is very contradictory and ofter misleading - whereas I have this site to be very honest and very supportive. Also the information given is always consistent and seems accurate.

Have a good xmas and new all and talk in 20008.

Jack

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 12:58:20 pm »
You have a good Christmas as well. And for what it's worth I do expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:07:54 am »
Hi Andy / Anne,

Just to let you know that last Friday 4 I went to a clinic in london and got a HIV Proviral test done. I know Anne that you advised me against it however the issue I was offered a permanent position in Moscow and was told to think about it over xmas. The issue then arose that my wife was going to give her notice to work last week in London and then come to Moscow on a permanent basis in Feb / March. The additional complication is that in order to get an annual visa for Moscow (up to now I have been getting single entry / Double entry visas) you need to do a HIV test and it must be negative.

Basically I had visions of my wife resigning to come to Moscow and then ending up HIV positive and then we'd have to leave Moscow. I managed to getr my wife to delay speaking with her boss at work until today re. resigning as I was reliying on having the results by then.

Anyway the HIV

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 05:20:13 am »
Hi Andy / Anne,

Just to let you know that last Friday 4th Jan (exposure 14th Dec) I went to a clinic in london and got a HIV Proviral test done (some details on test at the end of note). I know Anne that you advised me against it however the issue I was offered a permanent position in Moscow and was told to think about it over xmas. The issue then arose that my wife was going to give her notice to work last week in London and then come to Moscow on a permanent basis in Feb / March. The additional complication is that in order to get an annual visa for Moscow (up to now I have been getting single entry / Double entry visas) you need to do a HIV test and it must be negative.

Basically I had visions of my wife resigning to come to Moscow and then ending up HIV positive and then we'd have to leave Moscow. I managed to getr my wife to delay speaking with her boss at work until today re. resigning as I was reliying on having the results by then.

Anyway the HIV Proviral is negative and I got the result yesterday. I know that its not 100% accurate however it is supposed to be 96 - 99% accurate. I will test again in 12 weeks and hope all is ok as my wife has now resigned.

This has been a nightmare....never again will I be so stupid. I have learned my lesson.

Andy / Anne et all thanks for your help and re-assurance its what kept me going over the xmas. Andy / Anne, could you please let me know what your thoughts are of testing negative again in 12 weeks.....it would seem its quite unlikely that I would test positive now?

Thanks again for all your support and I think this site is fantastic.

Jack

[color=blue]The 'Early' HIV-1 Proviral Test
Another way to test for HIV infection, other then looking for antibodies, is to look for the genetic material (DNA/RNA) of the HIV virus itself in a blood sample. One such test is the HIV Proviral DNA test, which uses a complex technique called PCR to detect the virus. This test detects the presence of HIV-1 as early as 10 days following infection and does so with a sensitivity of around 96 to 99%. Because of the complexity of this test, a result is not usually available for 5 to 7 working days.
[/color]

http://www.regentsparkclinic.com/testing-for-hiv-_35/

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 05:37:52 am »
Did you leave off the following information? "if you have a Proviral test you will usually be advised to have a standard HIV test after the 12 week window period has elapsed, for complete assurance."

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:44:45 am »
Hi Rapidrod,

The Doc said I should test at 12 weeks so the outcome is conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2008, 07:47:17 am »
Jack,

All things considered, it is highly unlikely you have become infected from this incident. You do need to confirm at three months, but I do not expect the result to change and neither should you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 04:26:04 am »
Thanks Anne. Will do a test again at 12 weeks and hopefully put this to bed.

One thing that has frightened me a little is that I have all of a sudden got a head cold...this weekend. I'm assuming its not symptoms of seroconversion however it has freaked me out a little.

I'm guessing that the pro viral test is prettly accurate and I just have to wait for 12 weeks and test then.

God what nightmare....I was fine until I got this cold. I guess Anne / Andy that its unlikely symptoms of seroconversion....

Anyway thanks for all the support here and I'll update everyone in due course.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2008, 04:36:36 am »
Jack,

It's just a head cold, it's not seroconversion illness.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2008, 07:48:42 am »
Getting a cold is absolutely not in any way a symptom of ARS. It's -- a cold. Right now I suspect if you get a hangnail you'll be fidgety about it. Get and stay productively busy and the waiting time will pass much more comfortably than you may imagine possible.

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Given your initial negative result and the specifics of your single exposure I do expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Jack 1

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2008, 11:04:04 am »
Thanks Andy,

Yes I agree with you that any sign of any kind of illness and I'll add 2+2 and get 5.
Anyway will do as you recommend and keep busy and test after 13weeks.

Cheers and thanks again for all the support.

Jack

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.