Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:21:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 505
Total: 505

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread  (Read 115101 times)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: The Sustiva/Atripla Thread
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2016, 03:47:32 pm »
I'm happy to share that after being off the Atripla and on Genvoya for almost a week I have seen a definite difference in my state of mind. I will mimic what someone said earlier on in the thread.. a veil was lifted! I have been sleeping better, not waking up in a stupor, and haven't experienced a day with a buzzing foggy head since!! I'm so glad I got over my dear of switching and did it. Now we wil see in 3 months if the meds are working on keeping me undetectable with a cd4 in the 1000s. Also, thankfully I did not experience the nausea or any other effect so far. I'm finally able to feel the joy of moving into my new home without a cloud hanging over my head. If anyone has doubts about switching...I highly recommend it!!!

Glad to hear you are doing so well and the switch has suited you.
Very good update.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline RickDallas

« Reply #201 on: June 30, 2016, 03:27:02 pm »
Glad the Genvoya has created a positive difference in your state of mind. I was on Atripla for 9 years and finally made the switch to Genvoya in March 2016. I definitely found myself waking up with a clearer head.
Best,
Rick

Offline newlifepoz

« Reply #202 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:56 am »
Hi all. My first post.

I was diagnosed three years ago and began on Atripla. First time was a complete trip. Had a dream where everything was melting and I could feel the room spinning, but that only lasted one night. Had a rash (but no itching) a few days after and it went away quickly. Always slept really well, but overtime I began experiencing the psychological stuff. It didn't create problems it just heightened them like a magnifying glass. I would get really nervous in a car when someone else was driving. Abnormally so and irrationally. When I got angry it was more than it needed to be. It never lasted though maybe 20-45mins at a time. My dr recently switched me to Genvoya because she said it was more efficient. My cholesterol has been pretty high and steadily increased while on Atripla. We'll see in three months if coming off of it helps. I'm taking Genvoya in the am because I know that I'll consistently eat around the same time and I won't need to make excuses to go take a pill if I'm out with other people. After about a week now I'm beginning to mentally feel a bit more clear, calm, and relaxed...but tonight I am not sleeping. It's been three hours and I'm wide awake. Not sure if it's the Genvoya, or my body still working off the Atripla, or just not tired.

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #203 on: March 19, 2017, 05:18:52 pm »
Hi. Been with Atripla for two years now and I've been undetected for one and my CD4 are on normal levels now. At the beginning I hated Atripla for it's side effects but as they started to fade away, life got back to normal, except for one thing: the dreaming.
My dreams are no longer vivid as the first nigh (God I hatted it), but have them almost on a daily basis and although most of the times I don't wake up at the middle of the night, it feels as if I don't rest at all... Does anyone have this? What can be done, for I've tried everything from teas, to doing exercise before going to sleep, to reading, not reading, watching TV, not watching TV, listening to music, etc...
I've read some other posts and most of them say that it's something that I have to get used to and I would only that I don't have enough energy during the day.
"Sometimes is necessary for life to shake us very strongly to realize that the time we have left is not to be wasted."

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #204 on: March 19, 2017, 06:59:33 pm »
Bernado - I've been in these forums for about 10 years maybe. The consensus is that solution to Atripla and people who have CNS (central nervous system) reactions to it - like you do - is to get off the efavirenz - so change the combo.

I only lasted 1/2 a year on it. I couldn't deal. 

But the challenge of course is that in some countries, HIV+ folks don't have choices. 

Do you have choices?

Welcome to the forum.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Expat1

« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2017, 09:04:26 pm »
I had the same effect Bernado, my dreams were "tedious' and I awoke felling very tired from them.  Not rested at all. 

My doctor was reluctant to change me as I cant take AZT or NVP so he was concerned about the long term durability of what I took next.  I insisted on Truvada and Rilpivirine and he finally agreed after I was very insistent. 

Very glad I made the switch.  Haven't had a sleep problem since and now on the fourth year of treatment, 3 after the switch. 

I did want to stick to 2nrtis and 1nnrti as I take a lot of other medications that would interact with boosters. 

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2017, 07:00:58 pm »
Bernado - I've been in these forums for about 10 years maybe. The consensus is that solution to Atripla and people who have CNS (central nervous system) reactions to it - like you do - is to get off the efavirenz - so change the combo.

I only lasted 1/2 a year on it. I couldn't deal. 

But the challenge of course is that in some countries, HIV+ folks don't have choices. 

Do you have choices?

Welcome to the forum.

I do have choices (I'm from Mexico) but haven't talked to my doctor about my dreams... O guessed last time I was with him it would be temporary, but it turned out not to be... I',m actually seeing him next week so I'll talke to him about it.
Thanks for the tip.
"Sometimes is necessary for life to shake us very strongly to realize that the time we have left is not to be wasted."

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2017, 07:06:38 pm »
I had the same effect Bernado, my dreams were "tedious' and I awoke felling very tired from them.  Not rested at all. 

My doctor was reluctant to change me as I cant take AZT or NVP so he was concerned about the long term durability of what I took next.  I insisted on Truvada and Rilpivirine and he finally agreed after I was very insistent. 

Very glad I made the switch.  Haven't had a sleep problem since and now on the fourth year of treatment, 3 after the switch. 

I did want to stick to 2nrtis and 1nnrti as I take a lot of other medications that would interact with boosters.

I haven't told my doctor about it still because I guesses they would go away eventually. I'm actually seeing him next week and see my options. Thanks for the response. ;-)

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #208 on: March 27, 2017, 06:08:37 pm »
Hi everyone! I just saw my doctor earlier today and he told me that there are a few things I can try before considering changing treatment. He told me that I might need to change my daily exercise routine to something more demanding and drinking more water. Yesterday I went hiking with a friend and I didn't dream a bit so maybe that is the solution to my problem.
By the way, I'm still undetected and my CD4 are 465... They turned out a littel low this time because I had throat infection a few days before they drew blood out of me, but everything is fine. Fit as a fiddle.

Offline Expat1

« Reply #209 on: March 30, 2017, 02:25:19 pm »
Bernardo, My partner takes EFV 400 mg instead of EFV 600 mg (the Atripla dose) with the other drugs the same as Atripla (TDF and FTC).  He feels better with the lower dosage.  You might ask about that dosage.  Also do you take at night and without food.  Some people say food increases the effect.  (For me I had it with and without food).

That said it is 3 pills a day instead of just 1. 

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #210 on: March 30, 2017, 03:25:21 pm »
Thanks Epat1.
I'll ask my doctor if that is a solution for me. He did tell me that I should do some other activities to see if they work before considering changing treatment... So far, I'm doing ok with the advice given.
And in my case, I haven't seen any association with having food or not close to the take... I'll observe now that you suggest it!

Offline wardp

« Reply #211 on: September 23, 2017, 05:38:45 pm »
Hi, I'm 6 weeks on atripla and now having CNS issues, mood swings, poor sleep, brain fog plus I also lost a little weight,, and increased heart rate 60 BPM to 80bpm which is not good for someone who has a stent,  my vl was 3000 at start of treatment,   I suspect sustiva,, my questions are if I'm ud  at my next  check up visit in 5 weeks time, is it to soon to change the sustiva part of regime and if yes what are my best options for sustiva switch while Im on omeprazole  20mg a day with my aspirin, I don't mind an extra pill or 2 a day, and also the fact that I'm in bangkok some meds expensive or are not available yet, regards BH paul
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline Bernado

• Traveling my life!!!
« Reply #212 on: September 23, 2017, 05:51:41 pm »
Hi, I'm 6 weeks on atripla and now having CNS issues, mood swings, poor sleep, brain fog plus I also lost a little weight,, and increased heart rate 60 BPM to 80bpm which is not good for someone who has a stent,  my vl was 3000 at start of treatment,   I suspect sustiva,, my questions are if I'm ud  at my next  check up visit in 5 weeks time, is it to soon to change the sustiva part of regime and if yes what are my best options for sustiva switch while Im on omeprazole  20mg a day with my aspirin, I don't mind an extra pill or 2 a day, and also the fact that I'm in bangkok some meds expensive or are not available yet, regards BH paul

Hi there Paul:

All those symptoms are normal when you start on Atripla, for some people they last several weeks and for some others, within a few days. My best advise is that first, keep your cool and try to do exercise to shove them off and drink water, a lot of water and eat as healthy as you can. Second, you should ask your doctor before changing anything and if it's possible try to meet with him/her before your next schedule check up just to be sure.
As a personal note, and as far as I know, you shouldn't be taking omeprazol while having atripla because then you don't absorb the medicine properly... But again, ask your doctor about it.

Hang in there. It's hard at the beginning but it gets more and more easier until literally you wake up one day as it nothing has happened.

Offline wardp

« Reply #213 on: September 23, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »
Thank you for your reply, there is no known problem with  omeprazole and atripla, and I drink   2 litres of water a .day,
Diagd 20,July 2017. Cd4 289, 21% vld .3,462  atripla 4/8/17, 5/10/17 cd4 384 21%, ud.  complera 4/11/2017 switched to stribild 15/11/17. Switched to truvada efavirence 200mgx2 14 Dec 2017, 2 Feb 2018, uD cd4  466, 25%  CD 8 ,595, 32%..1 may 2018
switched  to instgra truvada.7th june switched to truvada  nevirapine stavudine. .21 june switched to truvada nevirapine. X 2 a day...9 aug 2018 ud. 2n Nov 2018 CD 4. 455..22.70% 13th Nov switched  to lamivir and nevirapine  due to kidney issues...jan 10,2019 UD..may 13 2019 ud  cd4 482 28% 14th nov 2019 ud. Cd4 414 .27% cd8 444 29%,may 16 2020,ud ,cd4 741"19.62. Dec 2020.ud.jan21 cd4 453. 25.7% 5/6/21.UD. cd4 621;{27.21%}19/10/21 UD.cd4 420; 28%.apr 19;2022 UD cd4 455' 26%.oct 22,UD, cd4 381,27% 10/4.23 UD CD4 462 29%.2/10/23 cd4 378,28%

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214 on: September 23, 2017, 06:04:49 pm »
FYI:  according to this website, there is no known interaction with concurrent use of omeprazole and Atripla:

https://www.drugs.com/drug-interactions/atripla-with-omeprazole-964-2502-1750-0.html

Relevant language:

Interactions between your selected drugs

There were no interactions found in our database between Atripla and omeprazole. However, this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Of course, everyone is unique and perhaps you are having some sort of interaction.  Consult with your physician for any further guidance on this matter, of it is of concern to you.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wardp

« Reply #215 on: September 23, 2017, 07:03:48 pm »
Why are we discussing interactions when I  posted about sustiva side effects which are scientifically proven? The other question I asked was about omeprazole and contradictions to other arvs in case I need to make the switch from EF,  also its 6am and i may try and get a few hrs sleep now, thanks for your reply I appreciate it,

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #216 on: September 24, 2017, 01:23:57 pm »
Wardp,

I got your PM. Look to be honest the best thing you can do is see your doctor sooner rather than later.

scientifically proven?

What is? Just because a med may have a side effect does not mean if you develop an issue that it is necessarily the cause. 

I'm not dismissing your concern BTW, not in the slightest. I mean next to psychological aspect some people have starting medication others do have some weeks of settling in when taking meds and a few will have problems. 

Now if you are having serious concerns and you believe the issues are related somehow to your HIV meds than you should talk to a doctor. They can advise you and if needed recommend a switch and what meds in that case would agree and suits your personal needs better.

I wish you well and hope you are okay.

Jim
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 01:37:53 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline wardp

« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2017, 12:22:27 am »
Thanks Jim, I will take your advise and discuss my issues about sustiva with my doctor,', I also eat like a horse, and  while dropping 60kg to 58 kg since I started atripla is snot a major concern but I would like my 2 kilo back., thanks for everyones help,

Offline wardp

« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2017, 12:49:07 am »
http://i-base.info/guides/side/cns-side-effects.  I just read this interesting article, just thought I would share it,.

Offline wardp

« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2017, 11:56:56 pm »
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Archive/Adherence/Q246217.html.  Just had my question answered' hope  it helps others.

Offline wardp

« Reply #220 on: October 02, 2017, 07:00:23 am »
I have been so indecisive because I'm so tired , today I almost had an accident on my bike, my concentration is gone, I decided there and then, I headed for the lab for a val load and cd4.i should have the results Friday, if I'm UD im heading straight to bangkok to see my doctor for a med change. >:(

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: October 02, 2017, 08:07:59 am »
Hi

Remember it is worth checking for anything underling concerns as well, even if its a case of ruling things out. The symptoms/issues you have are certainly not limited to the medication.

Anyhow wishing you well and hope things work out when you talk to the doctor. 

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.