Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:46:58 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 665
Total: 665

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 3 years... In search of a better life in Canada  (Read 5757 times)

Offline pozessed

3 years... In search of a better life in Canada
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:24:08 am »
Hi,

It has been three years since that fateful day when I called my partner informing him of the call from the lab where I had taken the HIV test for the first time. The lab had asked for my blood sample again which had gotten me worried. I felt something was wrong and I told my partner about it. He just said let's wait and we will figure out according to whatever happens.

In the process of figuring things out, we have been through a roller coaster ride of worried to death about HIV, ensuring I take my medicationAnd reminding me continuously about it.

My family has no idea about my ailment and I don't intend to tell them. They haven't even come to terms with their son being gay, HIV would be a huge thing. I started another set of medication- antidepressants around 4-5 months back because of severe stress at personal and work front. I don't know why I'm telling you guys all this... But this is a place where I believe I can share things without hiding stuff, especially about HIV.

Now coming to the question, we have decided to move to Canada from India considering a better life there in terms of work life balance, acceptability in society, etc. I have applied for PR in Canada and wanted to connect with other people who have undergone a similar process with HIV. Does HIV create problems in the immigration process? My consultant says that's not the case. Also, after getting the PR, will I be eligible for public health facilities meant for regular citizens? How expensive is Canada as far as living with HIV is concerned or does it not create much of a difference? Any inputs on this would be appreciated.
TIA.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954
15/6/15 Started Trustiva (Atripla)

Offline lightalltheway

Re: 3 years... In search of a better life in Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 07:15:25 pm »
Hello pozessed,

I am sorry for your diagnosis and i want you to know that you are not alone. I can understand how difficult your situation is. Being Gay is something big and positive is bigger for some families and/ or societies.

I want to tell you that you are blessed that you are under medication in India, many people they do not have access to. You are also blessed that you have a partner who is supportive. I Hope your numbers and health are both well and stable.

Regarding to Canada, are you applying for immigration under the express entry system? if the answer is yes, then unfortunately i am sorry to say that HIV and BT are mandatories tests at the final stage before giving you the PR and they tend to refuse applications not because they are positive, but they classify us as medically not-fit.

The tests are conducted at certain clinics which the Canadian immigration office appoint them to make for applicants. Check their CIC website.

If your partner is Canadian, it is a different story. Hope this information will give you some light within the current condition.

Prince

Offline pozessed

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 05:24:46 am »
Thanks for your response, Prince.
Yes, I am applying under Express Entry System and I know that HIV is a mandatory test.
I'm applying through a consultancy which is well aware about my situation. They have clarified that they have been able to get PR status for individuals with HIV for Canada before and have given me assurance that this should not be a problem at all.
I'm just giving myself a chance in a world where I'm trying to be as normal as possible while rest of the world discriminates.
However there still are people who understand that this is just a virus which is controllable. Online research also suggests that HIV cases for PR are taken on a case to case basis and some people get it despite being positive. Let's see. Thanks for the info, mate.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Offline lightalltheway

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 12:22:30 pm »
I hope your news are coming from solid points because many solicitors and immigration attorney makes it easy just to rape your pocket.

I know what you're talking about because I was in the same situation like yours before my diagnosis. I think the economical impact on the health sector is strong enough not to be responsible for external medical expenses ( In our cases, HIV positive individuals ).

Wishing your sources of infos are reliable. Can you please share them with me? and please keep me posted regarding your plan. 

Prince

Offline Dethmetalturtle

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 03:05:52 pm »
Would you be able to provide information on the service you are using to help you gain canadian citizenship? My wife, kids and I have discussed this as something we woudl like to pursue. However my hiv status has always held us back as we hadbeen under the impression that hiv is a hard no.

Thanks in advance.

Offline pozessed

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2018, 05:37:12 am »
My apologies for a delayed response. I'm in touch with the representative of Morevisas in Gurgaon. Sometimes it's kind of a risk because there are multiple perspectives to getting a PR for Canada. I'll definitely keep you updated on the progress. May be I might have to get an immigration lawyer in case things don't turn favorable. Will see when it happens or didn't happen.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Offline Aegon

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2018, 07:21:06 am »
Sorry for asking a personal question I think you are IT professional ? Or you work in MNC?

Offline pozessed

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2018, 02:38:00 am »
I'm working in the Marketing space with a Media organisation. Does it create a difference?
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Offline pozessed

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2018, 03:45:37 am »
Also, I've been googling about the cost of ARV medication in Canada but not much detailed info. Any idea about that? Or if you can guide me to a link in this forum which talks about HIV treatment in Canada- coding, facilities, especially if one is not covered under The public health care program.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Offline pozessed

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 11:35:07 am »
Just wanted to provide update on my PR situation. Last Tuesday, I was accepted for Permanent residency despite being positive. I would just like to say that there is hope and I did not hire any additional immigration attorney of sorts fro this. It was the regular process with some additional tests asked for by the Immigration authorities. Hopefully I should head to Canada in the upcoming 2-3 months.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Offline harleymc

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2019, 08:54:26 pm »
Congratulations. Well done

Offline DK57

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 05:42:51 pm »
Congratulations!

Offline pozessed

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2019, 05:00:21 am »
Thanks a lot guys.
30/5/15 Diagnosed
4/6/15 CD4 365 VL 157954

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.